Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Righto.

Yes, the chancery is the place to go. You'll need to give them a cheque (it costs $A45 here... don't know about US prices). They will need the full names of the couple, the date they will be married, the name of the church and the priest celebrating. You will also need a letter from the priest doing the marrying say that this is going to happen (leastways I assume so. We needed one to get a papal blessing for my parents' 25th wedding anniversary).

The people at my chancery were very helpful - I'm sure yours will be too. They'll let you know if I missed anything :p

Top idea for a wedding present :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟21,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We got one when we were married. We thought we had to go to the chancery but they told us we had to go through the priest who witnessed our vows.
We spoke to the priest and he wrote a letter to the national people who deal with this. We sent off a cheque (AU$40 I think) with the letter and a couple of months later it arrived.:thumbsup:
If your priest does not know how it works in your diocese, he can find out by looking in the Catholic directory and calling the office. You will need to provide your full names, the date and place of your wedding, and your priests names. Your priest will need to say that he's seen your baptism certificates and is planning to marry you (implying that he has checked it out and it will be a valid and sacramental marriage).

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Helen!:wave:

How interesting. When we went to the chancery they said it had changed, and your parents 25th was about the same time as our wedding...
Maybe getting married blessing require more checking than already married blessings....

And I can't believe you spelled "cheque" as "check" in your previous post. I'm ashamed for you, girlie!

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe getting married blessing require more checking than already married blessings....

And I can't believe you spelled "cheque" as "check" in your previous post. I'm ashamed for you, girlie!
Don't be too hard on her. It's the accepted American spelling. Looks awfully wrong when you were brought up on British spelling, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Don't be too hard on her. It's the accepted American spelling. Looks awfully wrong when you were brought up on British spelling, doesn't it?
Ah, yes... but Assisi and I went to school together. We were in the same advanced English class. I know she knows how to spell "cheque" And colour. And organisation. :D

English is a funny old language...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0