Alberta
✟41,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone. I’d like to get some advice on how to find inner peace?

Over the last week or two I’ve spent a fair amount of time by myself and without having some meaningful time spent with people. I’m generally a introvert but I still like to have someone around me just so I don’t feel alone. I’m single so I come home to a empty house. Being alone so much builds up a lot of discontentment in myself and it bottles up so much that I become mad at a lot of things. I struggle with knowing how to deal with my life circumstances properly. In church yesterday the pastor was talking about finding our ultimate joy in Jesus. I don’t know how to do that by myself. When I get to the point of discontentment in life where I’m at now I usually end up just “numbing” the pain with earthy things, which are also considered sinful. I’m in a very unhealthy cycle in life and I’m not sure how to get out of it.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Over the last week or two I’ve spent a fair amount of time by myself and without having some meaningful time spent with people. I’m generally a introvert but I still like to have someone around me just so I don’t feel alone. I’m single so I come home to a empty house. Being alone so much builds up a lot of discontentment in myself and it bottles up so much that I become mad at a lot of things. I struggle with knowing how to deal with my life circumstances properly. In church yesterday the pastor was talking about finding our ultimate joy in Jesus. I don’t know how to do that by myself. When I get to the point of discontentment in life where I’m at now I usually end up just “numbing” the pain with earthy things, which are also considered sinful. I’m in a very unhealthy cycle in life and I’m not sure how to get out of it.
Seek YHWH'S KINGDOM, which is at hand (YHWH willing, still, as before).

Read Scripture thru and thru, see in YHWH'S WORD, all that YHWH PROMISES. Then you might find peace. (it is HIS GIFT to give as HE CHOOSES.)

Note that ALL the true believers in ACTS , IMMERSED IN YESHUA'S NAME, were continually FULL OF PEACE, JOY and RIGHTEOUSNESS, (yes! every day).

Note also that if you go seek peace somewhere where this is not true, you won't find it.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Note also that if you go seek peace somewhere where this is not true, you won't find it.
Ya in fact it's a good indicator that you aren't following truth to have that peace disturbed, unless of course you have a train bearing down on you and you're still on the tracks, then you wouldn't have peace and should be anxious. But the peace of the Lord is from the Lord, you gain that when you become born again of the Spirit.. And while we might have anxious times , overall we live in internal peace. Sin can disturb that too, till you get back to being right with God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Ya in fact it's a good indicator that you aren't following truth to have that peace disturbed, unless of course you have a train bearing down on you and you're still on the tracks, then you wouldn't have peace and should be anxious.
No, if peace is shaken so easily, what will happen when there is a real test / trial ?
YHWH'S Word says simply "be anxious for nothing",
and this is truth.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I didn't marry until I was 39. From the time I was twenty until I married, I lived alone. I had many stretches of time when I would say nothing for days on end. I had no one, you see, to whom to speak. Of course, there was family that I could call, but I've always found talking on the phone very...awkward. So, I spent many hours in silence, alone, wishing my situation was different. It didn't help that I also used to be intensely withdrawn. I say all this to let you know that I understand what you're facing.

I became very unhappy in this isolated state. Very unhappy. In fact, so unhappy that I began to have physical problems as a result. I think I was deeply depressed but didn't realize it. In any case, my discontent, my hatred of my life, led finally to a moment when I found myself in the hospital, barely able to breathe, exhausted from days of sleeplessness. I was examined and tested and then told that there was nothing physically wrong with me. You can imagine how surprised I was at such a result! I thought I was dying! It sure felt like it, anyway! But, the doctor assured me that my symptoms were the consequence of deep stress.

It was something of an epiphany to hear the doctor tell me that I was under significant stress. As soon as he said that I was, I knew he was right. When I looked inward, I quickly realized how profoundly unhappy I was. My "stress" was the great dissatisfaction I had concerning my life. My discontent was wrecking me!

What to do? Well, I was a believer, a disciple of Christ, and so I applied to God for aid. I looked into His word, the Bible, and considered what I read there about gratefulness, contentment and trusting God. I saw that I had taken on the World's values and pursuits and that my unhappiness had become an indictment of God. I had to confess my waywardness to God, repent of it, and reorder my values under what God said was the purpose of my existence. I had to stop comparing myself to others and begin to be thankful for the many blessings I enjoyed every day. As I did so, my unhappiness began to lift and I started to be able to rest in the knowledge that God saw me, cared incredibly about me, and would completely fulfill me as I lived according to His purpose in making me. I think if you follow the same line with God, you will encounter the same joy and freedom I did.

Merry Christmas to you!

Upvote 0

yuppers

Mar 25, 2014
Alberta
✟41,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't marry until I was 39. From the time I was twenty until I married, I lived alone. I had many stretches of time when I would say nothing for days on end. I had no one, you see, to whom to speak. Of course, there was family that I could call, but I've always found talking on the phone very...awkward. So, I spent many hours in silence, alone, wishing my situation was different. It didn't help that I also used to be intensely withdrawn. I say all this to let you know that I understand what you're facing.

I became very unhappy in this isolated state. Very unhappy. In fact, so unhappy that I began to have physical problems as a result. I think I was deeply depressed but didn't realize it. In any case, my discontent, my hatred of my life, led finally to a moment when I found myself in the hospital, barely able to breathe, exhausted from days of sleeplessness. I was examined and tested and then told that there was nothing physically wrong with me. You can imagine how surprised I was at such a result! I thought I was dying! It sure felt like it, anyway! But, the doctor assured me that my symptoms were the consequence of deep stress.

It was something of an epiphany to hear the doctor tell me that I was under significant stress. As soon as he said that I was, I knew he was right. When I looked inward, I quickly realized how profoundly unhappy I was. My "stress" was the great dissatisfaction I had concerning my life. My discontent was wrecking me!

What to do? Well, I was a believer, a disciple of Christ, and so I applied to God for aid. I looked into His word, the Bible, and considered what I read there about gratefulness, contentment and trusting God. I saw that I had taken on the World's values and pursuits and that my unhappiness had become an indictment of God. I had to confess my waywardness to God, repent of it, and reorder my values under what God said was the purpose of my existence. I had to stop comparing myself to others and begin to be thankful for the many blessings I enjoyed every day. As I did so, my unhappiness began to lift and I started to be able to rest in the knowledge that God saw me, cared incredibly about me, and would completely fulfill me as I lived according to His purpose in making me. I think if you follow the same line with God, you will encounter the same joy and freedom I did.

Merry Christmas to you!

Do you mind if I ask you some questions? After you got “sick” and went to the doctor how long did it take you to find contentment and joy in God? As you began to dig deeper into Gods word did you become more happy living the same way you always were or did your external circumstances change that also played a role in making you more content?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Urban_Legend

Oct 21, 2017
Cape Town
✟20,013.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can only find inner peace by renewing your mind to line up with the ultimate truth, the true word of God. Unfortunately even in the bible Jesus said the we will have struggles in life and that he did not come to make peace so having peace is really not part of this life, but it is a totally different situation if you have peace through the hard times, if you know the truth even though it doesn't seem that way, fear and anxiety only comes from the unknown...but if you know the truth it shall set you free

• Friendly
Reactions: yuppers
Upvote 0

Urban_Legend

Oct 21, 2017
Cape Town
✟20,013.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Death is what life fears most, so ask yourself thoughout all your time of feeling and going through these hardships and struggles did you die yet? Or did the Lord deliver you each and every time?....and yet we choose to believe a lie over the truth we choose to fear instead of be brave...becoz it's in our fallen nature

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
..and yet we choose to believe a lie over the truth we choose to fear instead of be brave...becoz it's in our fallen nature

(hopefully not) but do you mean your fallen nature still controls you ?!

Surely not, you do not mean that you and those with you choose to believe a lie over the truth ?! (as many /most by far/ visitors to this forum do)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
After you got “sick” and went to the doctor how long did it take you to find contentment and joy in God?

Only as long as it took me to submit to Him and to live His way. I had to let go of a number of things that I had begun to believe were important: money, marriage, material success, the acclaim of my peers. When I surrendered to the truth that if I had God, I had all that I really needed, my contentment with my situation quickly deepened.

As you began to dig deeper into Gods word did you become more happy living the same way you always were or did your external circumstances change that also played a role in making you more content?

Ridding myself of the terrible dissatisfaction that had gripped me absolutely required a change in the character of my living. Not in the external, material sense, though, but in the spiritual. I learned, like the apostle Paul, that I could be content in whatever state I found myself because God was my satisfaction, not my circumstances. He filled me up with Himself so that I ceased to hunger for those temporal, earthly things that can never truly satisfy. He can do the same for you!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
well we are programmed from a very young age through media to believe the lies of this world over the truth of God...

I know a few and have met more and heard of even more (though never many) who were not programmed by the world, nor were they left in the power of the devil like most children, nor were they trained to live like the world under religion, the beast nor the pharmacy lies.

i.e. children who were trained "in the way they should go", and as they get older they do not depart from it. (YHWH'S WAY)

Yes, finding children OR adults who were trained in the way they should live is rare, but not impossible, and not zero.

Also, for the rest, you and I both know the One who does the de-programming needed (when someone is willing, as YHWH permits)
in order to train us in how to live (HE KNOWS our frames, that we are dust) in the way we should go ! (as obedient , faithful and true children of YHWH) ...

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The fact your trying to numb the pain by committing worldly things shows that you know something isn't right. Most people unbelievers alike use worldly things to escape reality, pain and suffering, but believe it's just normal and it's just life. You however know that it's wrong and are seeking to escape from it. That's good because it means you are open to correct teaching. You realise whilst worldly pleasure brings some relief, it never frees us so here goes my words.

We were never designed to be alone or lonely. The very purpose of the bible is to be reconciled to The Father and have relationship. Also God said it's not good for man to be alone, so He created Eve. Just to point you about something. Loneliness is rampant in today's world. Whilst we might use Facebook and believe we have 1098 friends, in reality, we have nobody. That's because everybody is in the same boat but can't see that it's really a tool for isolation. Go back twenty years ago before Facebook and friends (speaking as a boy) rode bikes, climbed trees, fell and cut their knees, kicked footballs, played run away knock, got chases from people for being rude, threw stones at derilect houses, drew their names on property, were respectful to old people, jumped in rivers littered with shopping trolleys, and the list goes on. I wish I was young again lol, what a care free adventure we had. Not today. Children have to look beautiful to be accepted by others, they have to fit in, if their status isn't popular on Facebook, well their not popular in reality and the sad thing about this is we adults have adopted the same krap problem. No wonder adults are suffering more and more as each day goes by.

When your pastor said we have ultimate joy in Jesus, in part, he wasn't wrong. What He failed to mention was that if you live for Christ, it gets worse. You are persecuted, mocked, ignored, ridiculed etc etc. The part he is right about is that whilst these negative things come, we are joyful internally because our spirit agrees with the Holy Spirit and we know we are Gods child. This is the inner peace your looking for. In other words or as the world would call it, we don't give a s,,t, we don't have a care in the world. Please note that no matter how long you live in Christ, your fleshly spirit will always cry out for worldly things, friendship, acceptance, favouritism a sense of well being, receiving compliments, a feeling of belonging etc etc etc!

Please bear with me, I'm getting to the point of inner peace.
From my expiriance in life, being lonely and isolated is a killer. Satan loves to get you into that mindset but not having a partner isn't exactly lonely and isolated. Yes it would be nice to have a partner and no doubt if you seek you will find.
Inner peace becomes greater and greater the more and more you crucify the flesh.
The flesh wants everything now, the spirit is happy just being.

Inner peace can exist if your mind isn't racing after worldly materials or over thinking about past circumstances or
even worse, future events that in reality, we cannot see.

Inner peace comes from knowing whilst the world we live in is s,,t and corrupt that one day God will fix everything. We have eternity with God, 70 + odd years of complete and utter bullwhip is nothing in comparison.

Inner peace comes from not worrying what others think of you. Even if you did everything right, they still would find fault so why worry.

Inner peace comes from knowing that whilst we have bad days, we also have good days.

Inner peace comes from knowing we are nothing and deserve nothing but have a loving Father who is delighted in given you what you have. All good things come from heaven.

Sorry for the long post but I believe a life circumstance cannot be answered with a just do it.
God Bless Jonathan

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yuppers

Mar 25, 2014
Alberta
✟41,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Only as long as it took me to submit to Him and to live His way. I had to let go of a number of things that I had begun to believe were important: money, marriage, material success, the acclaim of my peers. When I surrendered to the truth that if I had God, I had all that I really needed, my contentment with my situation quickly deepened.

Ridding myself of the terrible dissatisfaction that had gripped me absolutely required a change in the character of my living. Not in the external, material sense, though, but in the spiritual. I learned, like the apostle Paul, that I could be content in whatever state I found myself because God was my satisfaction, not my circumstances. He filled me up with Himself so that I ceased to hunger for those temporal, earthly things that can never truly satisfy. He can do the same for you!

Im at a point where I see that material things, marital status, and friendship aren’t what ultimately “fulfill” a person. I do believe that all those things can improve a persons life though. Here’s my question though, how did you become happy with just God? I struggle to see how God can fulfill my desire for companionship. At the end of the day I can’t have a conversation with God. I can talk to him but it’s not like I’ll be able to have a 2 way conversation with him. I can’t just sit with God and watch a movie with him and laugh at a funny comment together. I’m still alone. Where you able to overcome that feeling?

Upvote 0