How to decide between visiting a doctor or praying for healing?

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When should we pray for healing and wait for God's response and when should we go visit a doctor? How can we know which is the right decision at a given moment? I understand that God can use doctors as instruments to heal people, but miraculous healings without medical intervention are also within the realm of possibility. Is there a way to know what God's will is in each specific situation?

Hi..just going to share how I, me look at this. Should I wait? Hmm what am I waiting for? Healing? So is this something God has to still make discussion on? I read Isa 53:5 by His strips I am healed. Peter said by His strips I was healed. Jesus gave us all power all authority over the enemy and nothing shall by any means hurt me. A verse that to this very day still jumps out and shines..still trying to figure out why is Peter and John at the gate. We know the man expected something and healing was never on his mind. They said we don't have any silver or gold but what I do have give I unto you in JESUS name. As we keep reading for me this is the key. They said basically...why are you looking at us as if we did this by our own power. (KEY) ITS FIATH IN THAT NAME!

It was is always will be faith. Praise GOD .. in His mercy and grace He always reaches down helps our faith when we can't. It is faith. Do a test find FAITH threads here or on other Christian sites? See so many of us wait (not knowing) until God for bid something bad happens to then have faith and.. we don't. We put GOD on some time table and when it does not happen when we want it to "well seems God didn't want to heal me". <--is that what His word says? Gods will? If you know He hears you then you know you have the petitions/prayers you asked for. Think... wait didn't Jesus say what ever you desire when you pray believe you receive it you will have it.. what ever you ask the Father in my name He WILL do it. If two shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father.

So if you know He hears you.. in that is "His will". That always gets us confused. Your reading what? A book that GOD so to speak wrote. Hello? HIS WILL! You pray you ask for things according to.. in line with the word of God. Sorry getting lost here. For me its been hard to not ask wait.. thats wrong. Why am I asking for something that is already promised? You just lay hands on the sick they shall recover. Peter and John.. you look at us as if we did this by our own power.. its faith in that name. Its not will it happen.. its done. Do you see? Look at the PROMISES search healing in just the OT and you find God promised it then. Forgive me not good with words.. talking haha..

So wait.. no... it has to go in Jesus name.. has no right to stay.. I don't PRAY to JESUS or GOD to heal me.. He already did. By His strips you WERE healed. Do you see? So backing up.. we tend to not exercise our faith. I use.. you drive to work and always have to park far away. Hello? Pray.. believe for a closer parking space. See at first when it dosent happen your faith is not crushed. Soon you learn that.. wait.. He already knew what I was going to pray for.. He already set in motion the answer. Thank you Father for that closer parking space. See your not going against the word of God or mans will. Yeah.. man has a will and God will not go against that.

So you work your faith. I know one that went out starting to pray for the sick. He was asked when did you start to see something? He said after about 300. Yeah could be longer. We LOVE to think we have faith... but if we had faith the size of just a mustard seed we could move that mtn. Yes a real mtn.

There are times praying doubt comes.. ooh kick it out and keep standing. But.. when I can't shake that doubt.. I go to the doctor. HAHA little things are hard... I remember my chest started to hurt.. I mean really hurt.. had it off and on now but not like the first time. I stood against the wall and prayed... as in .. I am healed in Jesus name.. by His strips I was healed! That pain was so strange well it was very very painful and it was like someone pushed it into my back.. oh man my back hurt so bad.. then pushed back into my heart. No never called anyone.. went to the doctor after that and they did these tests and said "it looks like you had a massive heart attack." I never doubted once.. if I doubt.. I GO to the doctor. For me theres no hope He might will heal me.. He already did. So I pray.. thank Him for what He did.. I don't put Him on a time clock. Its done already. When God made a promise.. I don't go back and ask for it.

Sorry this is so long. My Dad died.. mom got remarried. He new husband had cancer yet if you ever talked to Him.. you knew God was going to heal him.. what he always said. You never saw him doubt.. always had that bible with him. One day just me and him in the car.. he stops it and starts to cry.. he didn't know if he was ever going to be healed. Jesus said.. go your way YOUR FIATH has made you whole. Do we read that? It is ALWAYS CHRIST.. but its FAITH in that name. So I guess I should have said.. work your faith in small things. When I pray for people "what can you believe". I am not the healer. This is how I see all this.

I can look around at so many family members that died from some sickness or to His word. The best one was.. me and a friend in the back of this Church and I asked him about the woman up front crying kind a screaming jumping.. He said see all these people? About 1/2 came with her...she was blind. yeah.. WAS. All IN JESUS NAME. What she was lucky? God at that moment felt sorry for her? No.. no matter what . it is FAITH in that name! Your faith has made you whole. So can't believe.. then believe the Doctors will know what to do and fix heal ALL Of it.. that GOD will give them wisdom. If I had to ask.. I would go to the Doctor.. and I have.. the small things. Heart? Nope.. there is no doubt what so ever there. See I have always said His word.. greater is He that is in me.. I have the mind of Christ.. I can do all things through Jesus Christ.. I have the peace of God that... I am strong in the lord in the power of His might.. Psa 91.. read it.. its FOR YOU. Isa 41 10

Yes saved in a Baptist Church and all the way to Word of Faith. But in my eyes.. I don't follow them.. believe like them.. they believe like me. Its not what ANY man says.. find what HIS word says.. oh KNOW He can't lie!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But when Jesus healed the sick, he didn't send them to a hospital to have a medical checkup "just in case", right?
In the early days of the Pentecostal movement, many died needlessly because of the teaching that it was a lack of faith, and sin, to go to the doctor for treatment. Also, when people received prayer, they were told they were healed, and as a result stopped taking their medication and going back to the doctor. Many of these people died. There are people still dying needlessly today after receiving prayer in Prosperity and Guaranteed hearing conferences run by some big-name healing evangelists and told that they are healed in spite of still having the same symptoms.

There have been people healed through prayer and then going back to the doctor having the healing validated through further tests. There are others wise enough to go back to their doctor and having it confirmed that the medical condition is still there and further treatment is necessary.

I think it is always wise to have regular checkups by a medical professional, especially in the event that a cancer can be detected early and be treatable. It is also good to receive prayer, asking God, according to Philippians 4:5-6, for healing. The wise principle is not to stop taking medication unless the person who prescribed it says so. Taking medication will not stop God healing the person. There have been cases where diabetics have become worse after prayer for healing and it has turned out that the continuation of taking insulin has been the cause, because healing has taken place, so when the doctor has advised ceasing the medication, the person has got well.

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So you do believe that God miraculously heals medically incurable diseases today, right?
The real question should be is God merciful and gracious today? When blind men came to Jesus they cried out for MERCY. He gave it to them. So restoring one from physical afflictions is MERCY and Acts 10:38 states Jesus went about doing good healing all which were oppressed of the devil. So Healing is goodness and mercy and Psalm 23 perhaps the most quoted Psalm of all time says. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life...." Healing is mercy and good. Is God good anymore? Most certainly. He's willing therefore to heal today.

• Agree
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When should we pray for healing and wait for God's response and when should we go visit a doctor?

Hello Truth! I don't think it has to be an either/or. Both can work together.

There's medical advice in the bible:

Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses (1 Timothy 5:23)

I also know a Christian doctor who proscribes medication and also prays with patients that they will be healed without the need for medication. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

SchmedlytheGreat

Oct 10, 2021
Dalzell
✟1,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The Lord has said to me that it is our job to believe. Ask and believe you have received. What happens after that is His business. You just do your part and believe regardless of what happens. If you go to the doctor, do it believing you have received. If you die, die believing. You will die pleasing God.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But when Jesus healed the sick, he didn't send them to a hospital to have a medical checkup "just in case", right?

Jesus was ministering to Israel under the Law.

You must understand that, under the Old Covenant of Law, God literally promised Israel that if they obey him, they will never fall sick (Deuteronomy 7:15, Exodus 15:26)

Under the promised kingdom of heaven on Earth, no one in Israel will be maim or sick too Isaiah 33:24

So Jesus was giving Israel a taste of what life will be under that promised kingdom on Earth that he is offering to them

But now, we gentiles in the Body of Christ, God does not deal with us according to the Law (Romans 6:14).

So God does not promised healing to us based on any promises, seeing a doctor when you are sick is the standard advice, similar to what Paul would advise Timothy to drink a little wine instead of water.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Doctors really do not heal anyone. Medicine does not heal anyone. Either your body naturally heals itself or God can heal us.
  • I go to a doctor for the same reason I go to the grocery store. I do not expect God to drop food out of heaven into my mouth. He can, but I understand I have a role in these things. I work, get paid, go to the store, buy food, bring it home, cook and eat.
  • We believe that Jesus has done everything we need to be healed. "By His stripes we were healed." That is a redemption fact. That is our confession.
  • Our job is to believe. We do our Job, and let God do His job.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
  • Doctors really do not heal anyone. Medicine does not heal anyone. Either your body naturally heals itself or God can heal us.
  • I go to a doctor for the same reason I go to the grocery store. I do not expect God to drop food out of heaven into my mouth. He can, but I understand I have a role in these things. I work, get paid, go to the store, buy food, bring it home, cook and eat.
  • We believe that Jesus has done everything we need to be healed. "By His stripes we were healed." That is a redemption fact. That is our confession.
  • Our job is to believe. We do our Job, and let God do His job.
The context of the Isaiah reference is to do with being spiritually healed from the effects of Adam's sin. It would be a misquote of the verse to say that it supports automatic physical healing of sickness on demand. Nor does it guarantee perfect health for every Christian believer.

I do believe that physical health and healing is part of the atonement, but total and permanent healing and health will happen when we are resurrected into glory where there is no sickness, disease, or disability.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The context of the Isaiah reference is to do with being spiritually healed from the effects of Adam's sin. It would be a misquote of the verse to say that it supports automatic physical healing of sickness on demand. Nor does it guarantee perfect health for every Christian believer.

That is correct.

The born again experience is a spiritual healing from our fallen state by the blood of Jesus, which is applied by The Holy Spirit when we are immersed into Him. That is the real "baptism" mentioned by Peter in acts 2, and the baptism into one body mentioned by Paul.

A lot of Christian leaders use that section of Isaiah and the quote by Peter wrongfully.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I do believe that physical health and healing is part of the atonement, but total and permanent healing and health will happen when we are resurrected into glory where there is no sickness, disease, or disability.

There is no such thing as "spiritual healing." I have always considered that to be occultist phraseology and it is not found in the Bible. Jerimiah states unequivocally that the heart of man is incurably wicked. It cannot be healed or cured. There is no "spiritual healing."

Jer 17:9
ISV) "The heart is more deceitful than anything. It is incurable—who can know it?
(LITV) The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is incurable; who can know it?
(LSV) The heart [is] deceitful above all things, || And it [is] incurable—who knows it?
(NET) The human mind is more deceitful than anything else. It is incurably bad. Who can understand it?
(YLT) Crooked is the heart above all things, And it is incurable—who doth know it?

I will go with Jesus rather than the modernists. He said we must be born again. That means a death and complete spirit resurrection. Not just a makeover or patchwork.

John 3:3-7 KJV
3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5. Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Flesh is flesh and flesh is healed.
Spirit is spirit, and spirits must be born again.

As far as the misquote from Isaiah, he is specifically speaking about physical healing as proven by Jesus quoting the same passage:

Matthew 8:16-17 KJV
16. When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
17. That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Again... I will go with Jesus and the Word. Let all those reading know and understand that healing is included in the atonement. Just know that He has done it and hold fast to that profession in your heart. Believe GOD!
BTW, we have been redeemed from everything that we can be redeemed from He did not leave anything out of the atonement. Everything you can pray for was made good by Jesus on the Cross. He did not forget anything!

2 Corinthians 1:20 KJV
20. For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.

Notice it says to "to the glory of God." He did this for himself. Of course He loves you and wants you to have life and have it more abundantly. But He also saved us, healed us, and defeated the devil for His own purposes. Let's let God be God and let Him have His way!!!:clap:

Again... we could go on all night. But this is enough. God is Good, He does not change, He is not variable, there is no darkness in Him. To believe Him means to believe His Word. Please God and praise God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
There is no such thing as "spiritual healing." I have always considered that to be occultist phraseology and it is not found in the Bible. Jerimiah states unequivocally that the heart of man is incurably wicked. It cannot be healed or cured. There is no "spiritual healing."

When a person has a demon removed by Jesus in scripture, why was that called a healing?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Jer 17:9
ISV) "The heart is more deceitful than anything. It is incurable—who can know it?
(LITV) The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is incurable; who can know it?
(LSV) The heart [is] deceitful above all things, || And it [is] incurable—who knows it?
(NET) The human mind is more deceitful than anything else. It is incurably bad. Who can understand it?
(YLT) Crooked is the heart above all things, And it is incurable—who doth know it?

I will go with Jesus rather than the modernists. He said we must be born again. That means a death and complete spirit resurrection. Not just a makeover or patchwork.

John 3:3-7 KJV
3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5. Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Flesh is flesh and flesh is healed.
Spirit is spirit, and spirits must be born again.

As far as the misquote from Isaiah, he is specifically speaking about physical healing as proven by Jesus quoting the same passage:

Matthew 8:16-17 KJV
16. When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
17. That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Again... I will go with Jesus and the Word. Let all those reading know and understand that healing is included in the atonement. Just know that He has done it and hold fast to that profession in your heart. Believe GOD!
BTW, we have been redeemed from everything that we can be redeemed from He did not leave anything out of the atonement. Everything you can pray for was made good by Jesus on the Cross. He did not forget anything!

2 Corinthians 1:20 KJV
20. For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.

Notice it says to "to the glory of God." He did this for himself. Of course He loves you and wants you to have life and have it more abundantly. But He also saved us, healed us, and defeated the devil for His own purposes. Let's let God be God and let Him have His way!!!:clap:

Again... we could go on all night. But this is enough. God is Good, He does not change, He is not variable, there is no darkness in Him. To believe Him means to believe His Word. Please God and praise God!
When are you going for your Covid jab?

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do what the Word says, "...any sick among you,... prayer of faith shall raise the sick..." I advise others to do as they are led by God, according to their faith".

If there came a time or situation that I didn't have faith in God, then I'd look elsewhere. As it stands, I'd need a whole lotta faith to get me to go to the system that is in the top 3 causes of death in the USA.
Whatever is not of faith is sin. Sons of God are led by His Spirit.
IMO, it's simple, let HIM lead the way, at all times, in all areas.
Peace

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When should we pray for healing and wait for God's response and when should we go visit a doctor? How can we know which is the right decision at a given moment? I understand that God can use doctors as instruments to heal people, but miraculous healings without medical intervention are also within the realm of possibility. Is there a way to know what God's will is in each specific situation?

Do both

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you need to ask which you should do, you should probably go to a doctor.

I believe that God would heal it all, but if we don't believe, we are double minded, and it would be better to let a man fumble around with your health than nothing at all.

• Friendly
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I do what the Word says, "...any sick among you,... prayer of faith shall raise the sick..." I advise others to do as they are led by God, according to their faith".

If there came a time or situation that I didn't have faith in God, then I'd look elsewhere. As it stands, I'd need a whole lotta faith to get me to go to the system that is in the top 3 causes of death in the USA.
Whatever is not of faith is sin. Sons of God are led by His Spirit.
IMO, it's simple, let HIM lead the way, at all times, in all areas.
Peace
So, the next time you get a cold, if you are not healed right away through prayer, it is because you don't have enough faith to be healed? (Which is every time one gets a cold or a headache actually). Thank goodness that John Wesley's horse had enough faith to be healed of lameness! That might mean that if you next get a cold and you don't get healed right away through prayer, the horse might have had more faith than you have! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Guojing
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No reason you cannot do both simultaneously.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do both.
I have been a believer for 50 years as of March. Of those years I have been doctor and hospital free for 99% of the time. From 1971 through 2016 I never entered into a hospital. In August of 2016 I had an attack of acute pancreatitis that could have been fatal. The doctors still do not know what caused it. I spent a week in the hospital, first in intensive care on Morphine and then Dilaudid. There was no question I needed medical help. My wife said when I drifted in and out of consciousness, I would thank God for life and health and pray.
I know God is not mad at me because I sought out medical help. He wants us healthy and full of life. In the end I still praise God for everything He has done for me. "In everything give thanks, for that is the will of God."

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nice, your last paragraph reminds me of what Paul would also teach us how we should regard sufferings, which include having sicknesses and diseases, in the Body of Christ in Romans 8:18-25

18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, the next time you get a cold, if you are not healed right away through prayer, it is because you don't have enough faith to be healed? (Which is every time one gets a cold or a headache actually). Thank goodness that John Wesley's horse had enough faith to be healed of lameness! That might mean that if you next get a cold and you don't get healed right away through prayer, the horse might have had more faith than you have! :)
Greetings Oscarr!
:cheer:indeed. When I pray for others I make sure they know that very truth. Not the horsing around piece; that's news to me although I do love what I know of the Wesleys!

Upvote 0