How to decide between visiting a doctor or praying for healing?

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, the next time you get a cold, if you are not healed right away through prayer, it is because you don't have enough faith to be healed? (Which is every time one gets a cold or a headache actually). Thank goodness that John Wesley's horse had enough faith to be healed of lameness! That might mean that if you next get a cold and you don't get healed right away through prayer, the horse might have had more faith than you have! :)
Also:
Your faith has made you well Matthew 9
Your faith has made you well Luke 17

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Also:
Your faith has made you well Matthew 9
Your faith has made you well Luke 17
Imagine Wesley asking his horse whether it had faith to be healed and the horse answering, "Neigh!!" (It probably couldn't pronounce "Yea!").

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems so odd to be in the SF/C forum and hear healing being denied and even joked about.
Jesus suffered so that we could have healing. Terrible stripes, beatings, humiliation, torture.
This should not be made fun of and those who believe in Him should not be mocked.
Shame...

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Seems so odd to be in the SF/C forum and hear healing being denied and even joked about.
Jesus suffered so that we could have healing. Terrible stripes, beatings, humiliation, torture.
This should not be made fun of and those who believe in Him should not be mocked.
Shame...
No one is mocking the healing ministry. It is just that a sick person is not healed through using his faith as some sort of force to activate healing. Using faith in that manner is sorcery. Faith is believing God's promises and trusting in His will. Faith enables us to make our requests and supplications to God with thanksgiving and the promise is when we do that we receive the peace of God that passes all understanding, regardless if we receive a positive answer to our request or not.

Nothing happens outside of God's will. He is sovereign. If a person requests healing, then if it is God's will, then it happens. If it doesn't happen, then it is not God's will for that person to be healed and there is no way that anyone can force God to change His will when He has decided one way or the other. If a sick person is not healed, then the person needs to trust the Lord that He has good reasons for not granting the request.

This idea that if one believes hard enough, that will twist God's arm and make Him think, "I have to heal that person!" then it has to happen. But the Scripture asks, "Shall the clay tell the potter, why have you formed me thus?" And there is another Scripture that asks, "Shall we counsel God?" Of course the answer is obvious. Definitely not. God doesn't have to justify Himself to anyone concerning the decisions He makes. Every decision He makes is righteous, so if He heals one and not another, His decision for each one is totally righteous, because there is no unrighteousness in Him.

The trouble is that those who believe that request plus faith equals immediate and guaranteed healing are unwilling to accept that God exercises His own will regardless of anyone, because He is no respecter of persons. So, they blame the sick person for not having enough faith. The real reason is that the person expecting God to heal on demand is being arrogant by thinking that all he has to say to God, "Jump!" and God will jump. My view is that God's reaction to such a person is "Pfffft! Who does this pelican think he is? And what sort of a Person does he think I am?"

Upvote 0

newlightseven

In the confessional
Site Supporter
May 21, 2016
North Carolina
Visit site
✟46,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
When should we pray for healing and wait for God's response and when should we go visit a doctor? How can we know which is the right decision at a given moment? I understand that God can use doctors as instruments to heal people, but miraculous healings without medical intervention are also within the realm of possibility. Is there a way to know what God's will is in each specific situation?

It is important to remember that Yah can and does use other people to bless you. So if you have prayed and don't go to see someone Yah has anointed as being a healer(doctor, nurse), then you are basically telling Yah, I don't want anyone to bless me. Yah can do it alone, but he doesn't always choose to work this way. He loves using his servants to accomplish his will. I would definitely pray, and go see someone Yah has anointed for that calling. Going to see Yah's servant doesn't mean that you are blocking Yah from healing you. It just means that you are completely open to be healed. God Bless.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if the disease is incurable for modern medicine? Say, blindness, deafness, Down Syndrome, etc.?

You don't know it's "incurable" without seeing a doctor...

I'm going blind right now, already blind in one eye, and the other is rapidly worsening. Perfectly curable though with surgery - but I went to the eye doctor to find out...

Whether something is curable or not though, as Christians we still pray for God's Hand to be upon us regardless. Even common low risk surgeries can go horribly wrong... so can staying home doing nothing.

I personally do both, see a doctor and pray. God is God, doctors are doctors. They can both play a part.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When should we pray for healing and wait for God's response and when should we go visit a doctor? How can we know which is the right decision at a given moment? I understand that God can use doctors as instruments to heal people, but miraculous healings without medical intervention are also within the realm of possibility. Is there a way to know what God's will is in each specific situation?

Here is a thought -

How about asking Him?

• Winner
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't ask... just obey.
We lay hands on the sick, it says they recover.
Obey and do what He said. What happens is HIS business. We just need to do what He said and obey.
Amen!

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't ask... just obey.
We lay hands on the sick, it says they recover.
Obey and do what He said. What happens is HIS business. We just need to do what He said and obey.
Amen!
Bam.
I agree, but I also wear glasses sometimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bam.
I agree, but I also wear glasses sometimes.
As do I. But that does not in one iota reduce the truth and validity of the Word of God. One day we may know. But I suspect when that day comes.... we will not care!!!:wave:
Until then... our job is to believe.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have seen people healed by prayer alone, and I have seen people who after prayer still needed to see a doctor.

I myself currently have some quite serious bowel problems, that may need a big operation to fix in the natural. I daily pray that God heals me, but this does not stop me from visiting the hospital for checkups, or for treatment if God chooses not to heal me.

God does not always heal, Elisha one of the prophets of God fell sick and died of the sickness.

2Ki 13:14 Now Elisha was fallen sick of his sickness whereof he died.

Sickness is not a sign of weakness, note the following that occurred when Elisha died.

2Ki 13:20-21 And Elisha died, and they buried him. And the bands of the Moabites invaded the land at the coming in of the year. And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.

He was so in touch with God's Spirit when he died that a man revived who was thrown into Elisha's grave.

Ultimately God determines who gets well from prayer. It does happen, and I pray for it often because healing is a New Covenant promise, God has promised it as a gift to the church. But even then, who can do it, and when is up to God.

1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Just remember:

Mat 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,541.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have seen people healed by prayer alone, and I have seen people who after prayer still needed to see a doctor.

I myself currently have some quite serious bowel problems, that may need a big operation to fix in the natural. I daily pray that God heals me, but this does not stop me from visiting the hospital for checkups, or for treatment if God chooses not to heal me.

God does not always heal, Elisha one of the prophets of God fell sick and died of the sickness.

2Ki 13:14 Now Elisha was fallen sick of his sickness whereof he died.

Sickness is not a sign of weakness, note the following that occurred when Elisha died.

2Ki 13:20-21 And Elisha died, and they buried him. And the bands of the Moabites invaded the land at the coming in of the year. And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.

He was so in touch with God's Spirit when he died that a man revived who was thrown into Elisha's grave.

Ultimately God determines who gets well from prayer. It does happen, and I pray for it often because healing is a New Covenant promise, God has promised it as a gift to the church. But even then, who can do it, and when is up to God.

1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Just remember:

Mat 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

When you claim that healing is a promise, a gift, to the church and yet God decides whether or not one gets healed, isn't that a contradiction?

If you have kids, and you promise them something, a gift, do you want them to have that same kind of reasoning?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you claim that healing is a promise, a gift, to the church and yet God decides whether or not one gets healed, isn't that a contradiction?

If you have kids, and you promise them something, a gift, do you want them to have that same kind of reasoning?

I am speaking from experience, God has miraculously healed some, and others have not been healed. I can't speak a lie. If I was to say God heals everyone I would be a liar. As for healing being a promise, it is a gift, more than a promise. Something that God distributes according to His will.

Yet the promise of God still stands that if we can have faith, we can have what we ask for, including healing:

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,541.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am speaking from experience, God has miraculously healed some, and others have not been healed. I can't speak a lie. If I was to say God heals everyone I would be a liar. As for healing being a promise, it is a gift, more than a promise. Something that God distributes according to His will.

Yet the promise of God still stands that if we can have faith, we can have what we ask for, including healing:

So what you actually meant is that healing cannot be a gift. Quoting from you it is rather "something that God distributes according to His will."

If I tell my kids that I will distribute something to them, according to my will, they will never reason to themselves that that something is a "gift" to them.

As for a promise, well, if I promise something to them if they believe in me, but if I can always tell them "You think you believe in me but you did not really believe enough, so you don't get that something", I seriously doubt my kids would take that promise of mine seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The moment you say that God has not healed, you have rebelled against His word.
He said He has.
Then you wonder why you are not. Stop fighting His word. Align your confession and your heart belief with His word. What happens is less important than your siding with Him and His word. Do you want to please Him? Know that He is ALWAYS a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. Like many of the faith heroes of old... you may not realize what you are believing for. But you are pleasing Him.
The Land is yours. You are well able to take the land. He said so. Just stop contradicting Him.
Pslams 103
1. Praise the Lord, my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
2 Praise the Lord, my soul,
and forget not all his benefits—
3 who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,

Say it with your dying breath. Vow to never contradict Him again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's wrong to seek medical treatment when needed, it can be wise. Even those said to be faith healers or said to have healing anointings seek medical treatment when needed. For example an American speaker, Todd White is undergoing medical treatment for damage done to his heart after catching covid 19.

Faith-Healer Todd White has a Serious Heart Condition Resulting From a Virus

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a general belief that I am always healed and in health. I believe that health is included in the atonement, just like every other blessing and benefit from God. Nothing was left out. So, if I have symptoms of illness, I first check to see if I am in the faith. If I cannot determine why I am ill (from a healing health perspective) I, then consider going to the doctor. All the while I am holding fast to the confession of my faith, even in the face of the symptoms and whatever the doctor may say.
The main reason I do this is not for the healing and health, which surely important, but mainly to please God. To please God, I must believe that He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him.

Hebrews 11:6
King James Version

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The only way I know is to stay in close relationship with God and do what you believe HE wants you to do. I don't think there is a pat answer for anyone.

Upvote 0