how to acquire the 'right' theology as a Christian?

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I got this crazy thought after being a Christian for a decade:

actually before I learn about Christianity I should start to read the bible only by myself and the church fathers (early Christian). Why? because if you are saved in RC, you'll be lean to RC doctrine; or if you're in protestant church you'll be influenced to lean toward protestant teaching.

I've many reformed friends who only read books written by reformed theologian, thus their perspective is always single. When they heard something new like dispensationalism they will not delve in to study it, they by default will have a defensive attitude to reject or ignore it, just because the idea isn't from their camp.

so in this internet era this is what I'll try to do to understand the truth:
1. read as broad as possible.
2. read from the theologians from different traditions: anglican, lutheran, reformed baptist and so on. Compare their views..
3. Read the church fathers' views

I think by this way I might acquire the closest to 'right' theology.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

actually before I learn about Christianity I should start to read the bible only by myself and the church fathers (early Christian). Why? because if you are saved in RC, you'll be lean to RC doctrine; or if you're in protestant church you'll be influenced to lean toward protestant teaching.

I've many reformed friends who only read books written by reformed theologian, thus their perspective is always single. When they heard something new like dispensationalism they will not delve in to study it, they by default will have a defensive attitude to reject or ignore it, just because the idea isn't from their camp.

2. read from the theologians from different traditions: anglican, lutheran, reformed baptist and so on. Compare their views..

I grew up in a wide range of churches, because we tried out different ones, and also moved a lot when I was young, and so it was quite a variety.

While that's very logical to read various theologians, and I admit I have, I can testify it's not the ultimate way to best learn, because there is a single powerful way that is much better than all others. To read with a truly listening attitude, where instead of looking to confirm some doctrine, I am truly listening to the Teacher, and let Him do all of the talking. So, now, finally, I expect to learn even when I read through a gospel like Matthew or John for the 5th or 6th time (!).

This wasn't always my view.

I used to think because I'd read Matthew three times already I had it totally down and knew all the words and meanings fully.

But, when I read Matthew through the 4th time, I was shocked to be learning entirely new things.

After that amazing experience, I thought -- "Now, finally, I must have it all."

That was wrong though. :)

The Word is "living".

Not static, dead. But alive.

If you listen, you will learn, and even the 5th, 6th time reading through a gospel. Powerful new things.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have a better idea. Don't read any other sources at all for a couple years. Not even Study Bible notes.
Just use these two websites. Let God explain Himself directly.
Open Bible - What Does the Bible Say About Neighbors?
Bible Hub - Bible Search: neighbor

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This Path is a fine one. I do think, however, that it would hinder spiritual growth.....as it will likely put one in a position of "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

I've discovered that truth is known and revealed, and seldom understood, leart, or taught.

Knowledge is great and important....but this path will make one great in only one area....debating and getting likes on forums.....

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Doing it that way you have zero chance.

Theology is best done on one's knees. It is worst done in any other posture.

Broad reading, reading from different traditions, and reading the Fathers can all be good. But if you don't also do it on your knees (metaphorically or physically) you have no real chance of even getting close to right.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Broad reading, reading from different traditions, and reading the Fathers can all be good. But if you don't also do it on your knees (metaphorically or physically) you have no real chance of even getting close to right.
That's a good way to say we should 'truly listen' as we read.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I think you might be underestimating what the indwelling Holy Spirit might do for You. The Holy Spirit only protected and preserved the Bible He inspired for you. The Holy Spirit knows what he was trying to get across to you. These other dead writers might not have been inspired while writing what you are reading. The fact that very scholarly educated teachers disagree with each others could mean they are both wrong since they cannot be both right.
I use only several Bibles translated by groups of scholars and concordances. Then I really question my motive for wanting to know, because the Spirit will not help me if I do not have a righteous motive. I will pray for wisdom knowing I will get it, fast if needed, reach out to like minded Christians to discuss, meditate on it and wait for the Spirit's answers.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How about just reading the Bible? Everything you need to know is written in these pages. Br blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How about just reading the Bible? Everything you need to know is written in these pages. Br blessed.
A lot of people claim to do just that, and they disagree with each other all over the map. So that method alone is hardly sufficient.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of people claim to do just that, and they disagree with each other all over the map. So that method alone is hardly sufficient.
There is an art to reading scripture. Study with the lens of ancient perspective and you will see how scripture will interpret itself and the "all over the map" outcome will turn into wisdom and discernment through His Holy Spirit. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There is an art to reading scripture. Study with the lens of ancient perspective and you will see how scripture will interpret itself and the "all over the map" outcome will turn into wisdom and discernment through His Holy Spirit.
Doesn't work in practice. Great in theory.
Be blessed.
Thank you. You too.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think that's a great plan. As has been mentioned, to prayerfully engage our whole theological history in conjunction with the study of the scriptures is about as good as one can do. Of course, intellectual acquisition is no substitute for bearing good fruit.

I would say you know you have the right theology the more Christ-like you become. Maybe the proof of "right" theology is in the life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Or, you can read in a comfortable chair with a cup of tea and an open mind. Being on your knees for only a short period of time won't do anything for you.

Upvote 0

danbuter

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Harrisburg
✟209,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to think because I'd read Matthew three times already I had it totally down and knew all the words and meanings fully.

But, when I read Matthew through the 4th time, I was shocked to be learning entirely new things.

After that amazing experience, I thought -- "Now, finally, I must have it all."

That was wrong though. :)

The Word is "living".

Not static, dead. But alive.

If you listen, you will learn, and even the 5th, 6th time reading through a gospel. Powerful new things.

That's also because you are not the same person you were when you read the book last. You've had new experiences, more time for thought, etc, and can identify things your younger self would have missed.

An easy analogy to this is how a children's cartoon often has jokes the parents would understand and laugh at, but the child would completely miss.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

This is one of the things I like about this forum ..... one gets very diverse points of view ... all should be compared with His Word ... regardless whether or not I may agree with some things put forth or not ... I like to know why people believe what they believe and find the differences interesting.

One should develop their beliefs through private study ... not wise to be spoon fed by anyone or put ones self in a box and refuse to think outside of it.

Many denominations beliefs get skewed and many times mis-information about what a particular denomination believes or doesn't believe is mis-understood.

There is something to be learned from everyone ;o)

God Bless all.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

There's much less difference among modern theology (what CF would call liberal). There are only minor differences between the groups you mention and even Catholics. Not that everyone agrees with everyone, but it's mostly one community.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0