Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
If you have been tracking this, pedophilia is a sexual attraction that is separate from acting upon it. Having said attraction is not a choice, acting upon it is a choice. According to the DSM-5 and several other sources, like the statements of researchers and Interpol (see here, page 86), the distress and interpersonal difficulty that arises is the disordered part, not the attraction itself because of itself, the attraction causes no distress. It is the severe societal attitudes, internal beliefs/cognitive dissonance, and self-abasement that leads to that distress.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It is the severe societal attitudes, internal beliefs/cognitive dissonance, and self-abasement that leads to that distress.

...and such are normal and healthy. The attraction is not.

Upvote 0

TNF_13

Sep 17, 2017
Minnesota
Visit site
✟28,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So, let me get this straight. As Christians, we should dub people monsters because we refuse to empathize with where they are coming from and the fact they never chose what they were attracted to.

Is that right?

• Agree
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Irrelevant to this thread.
I don't think so. They are still capable of seriously harming people, and maybe what was lacking in testosterone could be made up for in rage for being mutilated.

Upvote 0

TNF_13

Sep 17, 2017
Minnesota
Visit site
✟28,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think so. They are still capable of seriously harming people, and maybe what was lacking in testosterone could be made up for in rage for being mutilated.
The question this thread asks is not, "Are minor-attracted people ticking time bombs?" It asks how we should treat them as human beings.

Upvote 0

TNF_13

Sep 17, 2017
Minnesota
Visit site
✟28,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I suppose if you really think we should just cut the testicles off of people who have harmed no one and are not likely to, then that answers the question: Treat them like animals.

I, however, think Christ takes a far different approach. Look at how he treated lepers, who were viewed as unclean for having a skin condition they did not choose as the result of disease. He ate with sinners and tax collectors.

I think the question I asked is very straightforward: Love them. Be friends with them, get to know them, treat them as human beings, and do not shun them because of fear or stigma. But apparently, we would rather view MAPs as a risk to children, worthy of castration, hate, fear, and prejudice. Apparently, Christ's death for us while we were sinners has not penetrated our hearts enough to view other human beings as human enough to love them with the same love He showed us.

Is this really the best reply we can come up with? Pedophiles are sinning because they have pedophilia, and we should castrate them?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose if you really think we should just cut the testicles off of people who have harmed no one and are not likely to, then that answers the question: Treat them like animals.

Not likely to? Questionable judgement to say the least...

Is this really the best reply we can come up with? Pedophiles are sinning because they have pedophilia, and we should castrate them?

Not because they are sinning, but because they are dangerous to society's children, and hence to its future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have personal experience in this. I dont have an issue with an adult being attracted to a minor. You can be 12-15 and be really pretty so - Ok thats going to be noticed and age doesnt eliminate that you only notice someone is attractive when they suddenly turn 16-18.

But its very different to plot how you will act on it. I exclude the group where the guy is say 18-19 and the girl is 15. That might be illegal but for me its not a relationship thats predatory. When you're younger, like 12, you're especially vulnerable, physically, emotionally and intellectually. You dont see the storm that's coming your way. This is why those who have a position of authority over young minors are particularly heinous when they become predatory.

So how do we treat them - thats like - how do we treat diabetes...some with diet and some with tablets and some with injections. Most guys who are older but see someone aged 13 thats pretty n attractive will acknowledge it mentally and move on.... no treatment required. Others will start hatching more predatory thoughts but battle against acting on it - they need an avenue to be open about it and get counselling. Those who start acting on it need to face criminal prosecution and also get counselling. But those who are at the extreme end of rape, violence, abduction - I have some very dark thoughts for that cohort.

Lastly I just wanna say that while its important this group of mainly men get help if they start hatching plots, its the victims who bear the life-long scars of paedophile actions.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,375.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It is wrong, but at the same time when society has widely accepted homosexuality as well as countless other perversions as not just normal, but heroic at points, can that same widely-accepting society criticise a person attracted to minors(provided they don't act on it) without being a hypocrite?

The typical and obvious argument concerning homosexuality is that it's(typically) between consenting adults if it's acted upon, but it often leaves out the preceding variable which is attraction itself. Regarding minors, both acts are looked down upon, whether they act on that attraction or not.

Both are wrong, but I do think it's ironic how one is normalised and the other isn't, even partially, by many of the people that are welcoming of homosexuality and other sexual perversions.

Upvote 0

TNF_13

Sep 17, 2017
Minnesota
Visit site
✟28,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Not likely to? Questionable judgement to say the least...
Questionable? Go to this thread, and we can discuss just how questionable the facts are around this issue:

How Can We Ethically Prevent Child Sexual Abuse?

Not because they are sinning, but because they are dangerous to society's children, and hence to its future.
Then go to my other thread and prove it. You have given your answer: We should treat innocent people like subhumans. Now go to my other thread, and we can discuss just how we keep children safe.

Upvote 0

TNF_13

Sep 17, 2017
Minnesota
Visit site
✟28,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have personal experience in this. I dont have an issue with an adult being attracted to a minor. You can be 12-15 and be really pretty so - Ok thats going to be noticed and age doesnt eliminate that you only notice someone is attractive when they suddenly turn 16-18.

But its very different to plot how you will act on it. I exclude the group where the guy is say 18-19 and the girl is 15. That might be illegal but for me its not a relationship thats predatory. When you're younger, like 12, you're especially vulnerable, physically, emotionally and intellectually. You dont see the storm that's coming your way. This is why those who have a position of authority over young minors are particularly heinous when they become predatory.

So how do we treat them - thats like - how do we treat diabetes...some with diet and some with tablets and some with injections. Most guys who are older but see someone aged 13 thats pretty n attractive will acknowledge it mentally and move on.... no treatment required. Others will start hatching more predatory thoughts but battle against acting on it - they need an avenue to be open about it and get counselling. Those who start acting on it need to face criminal prosecution and also get counselling. But those who are at the extreme end of rape, violence, abduction - I have some very dark thoughts for that cohort.

Lastly I just wanna say that while its important this group of mainly men get help if they start hatching plots, its the victims who bear the life-long scars of paedophile actions.
Maybe discuss actions in my other thread:

How Can We Ethically Prevent Child Sexual Abuse?

This thread is for people who have done nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TNF_13

Sep 17, 2017
Minnesota
Visit site
✟28,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It is wrong, but at the same time when society has widely accepted homosexuality as well as countless other perversions as not just normal, but heroic at points, can that same widely-accepting society criticise a person attracted to minors(provided they don't act on it) without being a hypocrite?

The typical and obvious argument concerning homosexuality is that it's(typically) between consenting adults if it's acted upon, but it often leaves out the preceding variable which is attraction itself. Regarding minors, both acts are looked down upon, whether they act on that attraction or not.

Both are wrong, but I do think it's ironic how one is normalised and the other isn't, even partially, by many of the people that are welcoming of homosexuality and other sexual perversions.
Pedophilia is not an act. Please read the OP.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The question this thread asks is not, "Are minor-attracted people ticking time bombs?" It asks how we should treat them as human beings.
My comment was in response to someone suggesting that castration was an appropriate way to deal with offenders. I am not in favor of that penalty.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,487.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
Some posts have been removed.
Please stay on topic, as defined in the OP.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.