How should we respond to Justin Peters' challenge to modern prophets?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you very much for addressing this.

I think we all 'get it' now ... that not all persons claiming to be prophets actually are.

:doh:

So to any False Prophet Hunters here, some confirmation:
"We get it. We get it." So you do not need to keep telling us, over and over again, posting again and again and again, in thread after thread after thread, about all the false prophets that you see; we see them, too! We get it! :oldthumbsup:

To me, the false prophet discussion has been totally 'worn out' in this forum, and would be best addressed in a cessationist forum ... or a forum full of false prophets. lol

These discussions were helpful here after the 2020 election, but I see them as no longer being edifying. They border now more on just working to tear down the prophetic gift, destroying any belief in a modern day prophet. And that is not good. And I do believe that is against House Rules.

I can understand the concern some may have for persons listening to a false prophet. I can understand the concern, especially by those that have been 'burned' by a prophet experience or by those who perhaps themselves were once deceived into thinking they were a prophet. I get it. I had to deal with some of those issues myself, and did lose faith in prophecy for a time, but God has since corrected, instructed, and restored my faith. He did it, not any voice here online.

The continual harping on false prophets may be well intentioned ... "thank you" ... but after so much discussion, if anyone here is still following a false prophet? Well, let's trust God to show them the error of their way. The Holy Spirit of Truth lives in us. And He is very capable of revealing truth ...

... let's have some faith in Him.

God bless.
:plus:
It would be good if Bible-believing Charismatics also spoke out against the false prophets and teachers, seeing that their corrupted teaching and prophecies have brought the rest of us into disrepute.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would be good if Bible-believing Charismatics also spoke out against the false prophets and teachers, seeing that their corrupted teaching and prophecies have brought the rest of us into disrepute.

Perhaps it would be, but we are not all called to fight the same battles, or even to the same battlefield.

There is much other important work yet to be done for the Kingdom of God.
I think you would agree, we each must go as we are lead, by God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it would be, but we are not all called to fight the same battles, or even to the same battlefield.

There is much other important work yet to be done for the Kingdom of God.
I think you would agree, we each must go as we are lead, by God.
Absolutely! In John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" there was a character who had stains of blood all over him and carried a blood splattered sword. His name was Valiant For Truth. There were no other characters like him. Fighting for the truth was his calling. This shows that not everyone is called to use the sword of the Spirit to contend against false apostles, prophets and teachers.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Absolutely! In John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" there was a character who had stains of blood all over him and carried a blood splattered sword. His name was Valiant For Truth. There were no other characters like him. Fighting for the truth was his calling. This shows that not everyone is called to use the sword of the Spirit to contend against false apostles, prophets and teachers.

No, it just shows that there was only one character in that story that was written to play the role of Valiant For Truth.

Maybe it is because of the very serious times in which we find ourselves now living, but, honestly, I did not find your attempt at 'humor' to be very funny. If I did not choose to give you the benefit of the doubt, I might even think you were attempting to make a mockery of me over things I had previously said. But I do choose on the side of grace, and so will just move on ...

Pax :plus:

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't agree with him that the gifts of the Spirit, including tongues and prophecy ceased through some decree of God that they should have at the end of the Apostolic Age. They did decline and cease, but because the church went apostate.

So you're a cessationist then...yet you still call yourself Pentecostal?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 16:17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them.

What have we learned from 60 posts?

Anyone blessed?
Anyone edified?
Is Jesus exalted or honored?
Is there anything praiseworthy in our words? (mine included).
Anyone's mind changed or are we just arguing the same points over and over?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No, it just shows that there was only one character in that story that was written to play the role of Valiant For Truth.

Maybe it is because of the very serious times in which we find ourselves now living, but, honestly, I did not find your attempt at 'humor' to be very funny. If I did not choose to give you the benefit of the doubt, I might even think you were attempting to make a mockery of me over things I had previously said. But I do choose on the side of grace, and so will just move on ...

I think you might have missed the ball and kicked me in the shins instead!

In no way was I mocking you. I was explaining that not everyone is called to contend against falsehood like the character Valiant For Truth.

I know that I am opinionated at times because my father brought me up that way. He was very opinionated and I am my father's son. This is why I have always enjoyed the cut and thrust of debates on the forum, but I have always tried to treat others with the highest respect, and that includes you. It is quite possible that because my effluent stinks, some of my opinions stink as well. But then, that is what respectful and stimulating debate is all about.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So you're a cessationist then...yet you still call yourself Pentecostal?
No. I am certainly not cessationist. I am restorationist in that I believe that in the early 20th Century the spiritual gifts were restored to the church after they had ceased after the 4th Century because of the apostate way the then established church was going.

It is just that I respect Justin Peters and his honesty in calling out false teachers and prophets who are teaching bovine scatology instead of the truth about the ministry of the Holy Spirit as shown in Scripture. Therefore I am defending his right to share his concerns about the state of the Charismatic movement. I know that his personal cessationist theology does influence him to some degree, but he has shown that he does respect whom he refers to as "Reformed" Charismatics who hold to the Scriptures and who are just as concerned about the excesses and false teaching of some of the prominent "prophets" of the Word-Faith movement. His concern is the reluctance of the Reformed Charismatics to speak out against what is happening in our own movement.

I'm going to be a bit like Paul and speak a little inappropriately about myself. Before I moved to Christchurch and joined a Union Church (Methodist/Presbyterian), I was an elder of a suburban Presbyterian church in Auckland for 23 years. During that time I had the opportunity to preach regularly while we didn't have a minister. In fact I was the "session clerk" for a number of years, effectively, as the senior elder, fulfilling the pastoral role until a better man, in my view, took over the position. I was very open about my praying in tongues, and during one weekend conference there I took a workshop on being baptised in the Spirit. Bear in mind that this was and still is a non-Charismatic Evangelical church, where it was clearly expressed that "we don't want to become Pentecostal!". I taught them that unless they learned about and started using the gifts of the Spirit, the church would die. The membership was already declining as the older members died off, and the church was trending below 40 people attending a Sunday service. As an elder I never hesitated praying for the sick, and no one ever refused. Even at the secular gym I went to at the time, I prayed for two members who had suffered injuries, one of whom thanked me "for the blessing". I told the minister at a time when there was a fear that some wanted to put pressure to bring the Charismatic into the church, that because of my Pentecostal background, I would talk to those people to explain that if God wanted the church to become Charismatic He would do it in His way, not theirs. In fact, in later years we had quite a mixture of people who were Charismatic in their faith, and some had testimonies of divine healing. In fact, although the church didn't want to become Charismatic, they were sympathetic to it and I never had any negative feedback when I taught about the gifts of the Spirit, including tongues and the purpose of it. When we commissioned a new elder, I even gave a prophecy for him. It is interesting that a lady minister we have for around four years was Charismatic herself, although she didn't try to influence the church that way.

I told the minister in my present Union church that I have a Pentecostal background and believe in the gifts of the Spirit, and when we had a young guy come into a service and spoke in tongues, I explained to the people what that was all about and what I said was appreciated. The minister told me that "we welcome all types of people here", and he was happy for me to take services and preach. Since he resigned, and we are dependent on visiting preachers, I take services and preach once a month. I preach from the written Scriptures, and they always appreciate it. I think I am a bit of an antidote to some of the liberal preaching they get from a couple of other visiting preachers at times.

So, how much more of a Charismatic do I need to be to be able to continue posting on this forum?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think you might have missed the ball and kicked me in the shins instead!

In no way was I mocking you. I was explaining that not everyone is called to contend against falsehood like the character Valiant For Truth.

I know that I am opinionated at times because my father brought me up that way. He was very opinionated and I am my father's son. This is why I have always enjoyed the cut and thrust of debates on the forum, but I have always tried to treat others with the highest respect, and that includes you. It is quite possible that because my effluent stinks, some of my opinions stink as well. But then, that is what respectful and stimulating debate is all about.

No hard feelings, Oscar/Watchman1. Life is too short, getting shorter all the time ...
and Jesus is coming soon!
:clap:

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
@TruthSeek3r

Truth, I do like your threads most of the time, but if it is possible, please try to be careful of the subject matter you are posting here. Our ruleset is specifically against cessationist types, and if they come in here to challenge/argue a topic you posted, they can be reported. A lot of times that is just unnecessary.

The controversial subjects should stay in the controversial theology forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No hard feelings, Oscar/Watchman1. Life is too short, getting shorter all the time ...
and Jesus is coming soon!
:clap:

Tell me all about it. I'm 74 years old. Guess what a 74 year old thinks about? 75!!

• Haha
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Now, after defending Justin Peters against accusations that he is a liar and deceiver. I am now going to set out where I disagree with his assertion that the sign gifts, including tongues and prophecy are not for today.

I did a full exegesis of the three events in Acts where the Holy Spirit fell on groups of believers. You can find it in post #19 of the thread "Speaking In Tongues and (Google) Interpretation" in the Sign Gifts thread.

Justin asserted that when the disciples spoke in tongues on the Day of Pentecost, they were preaching the Gospel to the crowd in their regional languages. This is not what Luke said. He said that they were extolling the wondrous works of God. Nowhere does the text say they were preaching the Gospel. Justin went on to say that when Peter got up to preach the Gospel to the crowd, he continued to speak in tongues. This is also not what the text says. It is obvious that he either addressed the crowd in Aramaic or Greek, not tongues. He starts off by explaining what the praising of God in tongues was all about, and then he preaches the Gospel with the result that 3000 souls turned to Christ.

Where the Holy Spirit fell on the household of Cornelius, it happened after Peter preached the Gospel of Christ to them. Nowhere in that text does it say that Peter preached to them in tongues. He most probably preached in Greek, seeing that they were Gentiles, either Greek or Roman. And when the Holy Spirit fell and they all started to speak in tongues, they were extolling and praising God, not preaching the Gospel.

When Paul encountered the disciples of John the Baptizer at Ephesus, he preached the Gospel to them, in Greek (obviously), and it was when he baptised them in the Name of Jesus, the Holy Spirit fell on them and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. The text does not say that they preached the gospel when they spoke in tongues, and if we interpret the event in the light of the other events, it is obvious that they were praising God for His wonderful works when they spoke in tongues and prophesied.

Also, nowhere in the book of Acts is there any mention that Paul ever preached the Gospel to anyone in tongues. Justin says that when Paul said he spoke in tongues more than them all, it was that he went to foreign countries and preached the Gospel in tongues. But the reality is that he went to different provinces of Rome where Greek was widely spoken, and when he preached the Gospel in the Jewish synagogues he most probably spoke in Hebrew.

So the idea of cessationists that tongues was spoken to preach the Gospel to foreign people is based on eisegesis, reading personal opinions into Scripture, rather than accepting what the text actually says.

It is interesting that cessationists concentrate on tongues being a sign for unbelievers. Paul quotes Isaiah in that regard, and this shows me that tongues were a sign for Jewish unbelievers, but not for Gentile unbelievers who had no background in the Old Testament at all and had no knowledge of the Assyrian invasion of Israel and Judah. So telling Gentile unbelievers that tongues was a sign for them would have been totally meaningless to them.

Another bit of eisegesis I saw was that Justin says that if there is no interpreter in the church a person wanting to speak in tongues should be silent. His view is that the person should be absolutely silent. But he doesn't include the full verse. It goes on to say that the person should speak in tongues to himself and to God. Common sense tells us that a person cannot be totally silent and at the same time pray to himself and to God. What it shows me that someone sitting in church is able to pray quietly in tongues to himself and to God without disobeying Paul's teaching.

Another bit of eisgesis: 1 Corinthians 13:10, the whole basis of cessationism. When we look at what the text actually says, Paul does not define "the perfect". To say, then, that the perfect is the completed canon of New Testament Scripture, is to add to the Scripture text that isn't actually there. Chris Rosebrough, who is a cessationist, says that we must interpret obsure texts with clear, literal ones. If we put that into practice, we see clear texts that show that perfection is achieved at the end of the Church Age, and while we are still in the Church Age nothing is perfect. We still know in part (partially), and we prophesy in part, but when that is perfect is come, the partial will pass away and we will know as we are known. It is obvious that we don't know Christ as He knows us, so that time has not come yet. This clearly shows that the cessationist assertion that tongues and prophecy ceased when the canon of the New Testament was complete is eisegesis (twisting God's Word to suit cessationist theology) rather than exegesis (accepting what is actually there in the text).

So, those are my disagreements with Justin Peters, although I respect him as a brother in Christ and who is quite correctly calling out the false teachers and prophets that Jesus warned us about. So, respecting a brother in Christ, who happens to be cessationist, doesn't make me one.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 16:17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them.

What have we learned from 60 posts?

Anyone blessed?
Anyone edified?
Is Jesus exalted or honored?
Is there anything praiseworthy in our words? (mine included).
Anyone's mind changed or are we just arguing the same points over and over?

Seems your post is quite relevant to this thread.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

Please read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So, here’s your chance to redeem yourself and to prove me wrong. Embarrass me. Okay? Embarrass this old fuddy-duddy of a cessasionist. All right, here’s my challenge. The war is raging in Ukraine. I want any one of you between now -I’m recording this on the evening of April the 20th 2022-… and May 1, that gives you about 10 days. That’s plenty of time to either shoot up to heaven, or just start engaging God in a conversation I want you to ask him, “how’s the war in Ukraine going to end?”
I did not know about the ministry/group above until I saw this thread.. But whoever they are - they appear to fail on a number of points of logic.
Most people who do not claim the gift of prophecy would say that the much larger military - as we see in the case of Russia will win that war by turning city after city in Ukraine into rubble and Ukraine not really having the option of turning Russian cities into rubble to the point that Russia gives up.
Having that obvious position turn out in the end -- would not make "most people" Bible prophets so it is not a valid test to start with.
2. In the Bible prophets don't instruct God as to what to say or what topic to address.
So it is surprising to find a self-proclaimed Bible-based ministry assuming that idea.
3. No bible text says that when the Apostle John dies 1 Cor 12 is in valid

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think there are a few in Eastern and Oriental Orthodox monasteries, but I would advise against going there just to seek it out. A major takeaway from the NT is that our faith need not be propped up by signs and wonders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Justing Peeters in no Walter Martin.
that is for sure. this is a disabled old man who is bitter that he did not get the healing he wanted, so he is out to destroy anybody that and any thing that looks like God is moving in some way to bless and benefit his church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
that is for sure. this is disabled old man who is bitter that he did not get the healing he wanted, so he is out to destroy anybody that and any thing that looks like God is moving in some way to bless and benefit his church.
I've watched a lot of his videos and he doesn't come across that way to me. That is saying something seeing that I have a Pentecostal theology and have had to rethink a lot of it in response to what he has pointed out.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've watched a lot of his videos and he doesn't come across that way to me. That is saying something seeing that I have a Pentecostal theology and have had to rethink a lot of it in response to what he has pointed out.
he started showing up on my YouTube feed about 4 months ago and he is annoying. Don't get me wrong I don't disagree with everything he says, sometimes he is correct, like on Todd White. but he goes after everyone he dosen't like. Usually it is someone who has had an encounter with the Holy spirit and I have to ask why? my conclusion is that He cannot control the Holy Spirit and it comes across in what he says about others. The man literally denies the ability of God to work through the holy spirit at all. I am sorry without the Holy spirit working in the lives of people, Christianity is nothing but words on paper that is all.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
he started showing up on my YouTube feed about 4 months ago and he is annoying. Don't get me wrong I don't disagree with everything he says, sometimes he is correct, like on Todd White. but he goes after everyone he dosen't like. Usually it is someone who has had an encounter with the Holy spirit and I have to ask why? my conclusion is that He cannot control the Holy Spirit and it comes across in what he says about others. The man literally denies the ability of God to work through the holy spirit at all. I am sorry without the Holy spirit working in the lives of people, Christianity is nothing but words on paper that is all.
Can you give me a link to your Youtube feed so I can see it for myself? Once I see what he is saying, I can be more helpful in my comments to you.

Upvote 0