Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Scripture says, "By grace we are saved through faith and not of ourselves but is the gift of God; not of works lest any should boast" (Ephesian 2:8-9).
"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work" (Romans 11:6).

This is the word of God which overrules the word of man's works-based religion. When I read your post the Holy Spirit immediately brought these two verses to mind to show me what His answer is to your post.

You have been on this board for years debating these issues; yet, you still do not know the Scriptures that plainly teach us that the faith God accepts is manifested by living, walking, and sowing to the Spirit to have life?

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB)
Do not be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man Sows, that he will also Reap.
8 For he who Sows to his own flesh will from the flesh Reap corruption. But he who Sows to the Spirit will {{{from the Spirit}}} Reap eternal life. 9 {{{Let us}}} not be weary in doing good, for {{{we}}} will Reap in due season, {{{if we}}} {{{do not give up}}}.

To sow to the Spirit is to walk in the light, which is the only kind of faith by which the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin.

1 John 6:7 (EWEB) 6 If {{{we}}} say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But {{{if we}}} walk in the light, as he is in the light, {{{we}}} have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

Unless your faith is evidenced by good works, you reveal that your faith is dead.

Romans 6:21-22 What fruit then did you have at that time in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now, being made free from sin and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit of sanctification and the result is eternal life.

1 John 1:6-7 (WEB) 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You have been on this board for years debating these issues; yet, you still do not know the Scriptures that plainly teach us that the faith God accepts is manifested by living, walking, and sowing to the Spirit to have life?

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB)
Do not be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man Sows, that he will also Reap.
8 For he who Sows to his own flesh will from the flesh Reap corruption. But he who Sows to the Spirit will {{{from the Spirit}}} Reap eternal life. 9 {{{Let us}}} not be weary in doing good, for {{{we}}} will Reap in due season, {{{if we}}} {{{do not give up}}}.

To sow to the Spirit is to walk in the light, which is the only kind of faith by which the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin.

1 John 6:7 (EWEB) 6 If {{{we}}} say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But {{{if we}}} walk in the light, as he is in the light, {{{we}}} have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

Unless your faith is evidenced by good works, you reveal that your faith is dead.

Romans 6:21-22 What fruit then did you have at that time in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now, being made free from sin and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit of sanctification and the result is eternal life.

1 John 1:6-7 (WEB) 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.
What being saved by grace alone with faith in Christ alone, means that I don't have to jump through a series of religious hoops in order to be saved. I don't have to abide by church rules, attend every Sunday service, the midweek house-meeting and the prayer meeting, nor do I have to pay a 10% tithe, nor do I have to come under the "authority" of a controlling pastor, nor do I have to speak in tongues, be slain in the spirit every Sunday, or be "discipled" by a "shepherd" in order to be saved. I don't even have to agree with what the pastor preaches, and I won't lose my salvation by arguing with him about doctrine. If I think he is preaching a load of rubbish, I can tell him quite freely and my salvation will remain absolutely solid.

But once I am saved by grace alone, I am filled with the Holy Spirit who causes me to do the good works that Christ has ordained for me. These good works are linked to the fruit of the Spirit involving, loving, joyfulness, peaceableness, kindness, patience, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness and self control. Because through my conversion to Christ I am set free from slavery to sin and evil, I am liberated to use my free will to do the things I want, like walk in the fruit of the Spirit. I don't have to follow the Law in any way, because walking in the light as Jesus is in the light and walking according to the fruit of the Spirit, there is no Law, because the Law is obsolete and totally covered by actions covered by the fruit of the Spirit. In other words the fruit of the Spirit is the Law written on our new hearts, where we hate sin, and love righteousness.

But then, if I am walking in the Spirit according to the fruit of the Spirit, I don't think I would be telling the pastor that he is preaching rubbish. :) I would be much more respectful to him seeing that he is the pastor of the church.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What being saved by grace alone with faith in Christ alone, means that I don't have to jump through a series of religious hoops in order to be saved. I don't have to abide by church rules, attend every Sunday service, the midweek house-meeting and the prayer meeting, nor do I have to pay a 10% tithe, nor do I have to come under the "authority" of a controlling pastor, nor do I have to speak in tongues, be slain in the spirit every Sunday, or be "discipled" by a "shepherd" in order to be saved. I don't even have to agree with what the pastor preaches, and I won't lose my salvation by arguing with him about doctrine. If I think he is preaching a load of rubbish, I can tell him quite freely and my salvation will remain absolutely solid.

But once I am saved by grace alone, I am filled with the Holy Spirit who causes me to do the good works that Christ has ordained for me. These good works are linked to the fruit of the Spirit involving, loving, joyfulness, peaceableness, kindness, patience, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness and self control. Because through my conversion to Christ I am set free from slavery to sin and evil, I am liberated to use my free will to do the things I want, like walk in the fruit of the Spirit. I don't have to follow the Law in any way, because walking in the light as Jesus is in the light and walking according to the fruit of the Spirit, there is no Law, because the Law is obsolete and totally covered by actions covered by the fruit of the Spirit. In other words the fruit of the Spirit is the Law written on our new hearts, where we hate sin, and love righteousness.

But then, if I am walking in the Spirit according to the fruit of the Spirit, I don't think I would be telling the pastor that he is preaching rubbish. :) I would be much more respectful to him seeing that he is the pastor of the church.

Baptism represents the faith by which God chooses to save us. In the act of Baptism, we commit to die to the old life of sin, and then promise our lives to Jesus as our Lord whom we now follow into a sanctified life of righteousness and love. That is the faith God accepts (Romans 6:1-22).

Being filled with the Holy Spirit does not mean the Spirit causes you to do good works. The Spirit works His will in you as you remain faithful to drink, live, walk, and sow to the Spirit - the Spirit will lead, but the believer is to follow to have life (Romans 8:3-4; Romans 8:12-14; Galatians 5:24-25; Galatians 6:7-9; John 7:37-39). That is what the Scriptures keep teaching.

The Spirit does not cause you to walk in the Spirit. In fact, many Christians will:

Grieve the indwelling Spirit (Ephesians 4:17-32),
Quench the indwelling Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19),
Insult/Enrage the indwelling Spirit (Hebrews 10:24-31),
Reject the indwelling Spirit (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8),
Lie to the indwelling Spirit (Acts 5:3), and
Test the indwelling Spirit (Acts 5:9).

Therefore, the Spirit will only give Eternal Life to the Christian who remains faithful to sow to the Spirit without giving up.

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived. God is not mocked. For whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption. But he who sows to the Spirit will {{{from the Spirit}}} reap eternal life. 9 {{{Let us}}} not be weary in doing good, for {{{WE}}} will reap in due season, {{{IF WE do not give up}}}

Faith without a commitment to obedience to Christ - to be His disciple - is dead in sin.

Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV) 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

If faith in Christ is not manifested in a commitment to walk in the Spirit, to walk in the light, then such faith is dead and cannot save.

Hebrews 5:9 Having been made perfect, he became to all of those who obey him the author of eternal salvation

John 10:27-28
(WEB) 27 My sheep hear [listen] my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give eternal life to them [The sheep who listen to and follow Lord Jesus]. They will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

John 15:10 (WEB) 10 If you (believers) keep my commandments, you will remain in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and remain in his love.

1 John 2:4-6 (WEB)5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made perfect in them. This is how we know we are in him: This is how we know that we are in him: 6 he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk just like he walked.

1 Peter 2:21 (WEB) 21 For you were called to this, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving you an example, that you should follow his steps, 22 who didn’t sin, “neither was deceit found in his mouth.” [Isaiah 53:9]

1 John 1:7 (WEB) 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

Revelation 3:21 (WEB) 21 He who overcomes, I will give to him to sit down with me on my throne, as I also overcame, and sat down with my Father on his throne.

1 John 3:7 (WEB) Little children, let no one lead you astray. He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Baptism represents the faith by which God chooses to save us. In the act of Baptism, we commit to die to the old life of sin, and then promise our lives to Jesus as our Lord whom we now follow into a sanctified life of righteousness and love. That is the faith God accepts (Romans 6:1-22).

Being filled with the Holy Spirit does not mean the Spirit causes you to do good works. The Spirit works His will in you as you remain faithful to drink, live, walk, and sow to the Spirit - the Spirit will lead, but the believer is to follow to have life (Romans 8:3-4; Romans 8:12-14; Galatians 5:24-25; Galatians 6:7-9; John 7:37-39). That is what the Scriptures keep teaching.

The Spirit does not cause you to walk in the Spirit. In fact, many Christians will:

Grieve the indwelling Spirit (Ephesians 4:17-32),
Quench the indwelling Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19),
Insult/Enrage the indwelling Spirit (Hebrews 10:24-31),
Reject the indwelling Spirit (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8),
Lie to the indwelling Spirit (Acts 5:3), and
Test the indwelling Spirit (Acts 5:9).

Therefore, the Spirit will only give Eternal Life to the Christian who remains faithful to sow to the Spirit without giving up.

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived. God is not mocked. For whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption. But he who sows to the Spirit will {{{from the Spirit}}} reap eternal life. 9 {{{Let us}}} not be weary in doing good, for {{{WE}}} will reap in due season, {{{IF WE do not give up}}}

Faith without a commitment to obedience to Christ - to be His disciple - is dead in sin.

Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV) 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

If faith in Christ is not manifested in a commitment to walk in the Spirit, to walk in the light, then such faith is dead and cannot save.

Hebrews 5:9 Having been made perfect, he became to all of those who obey him the author of eternal salvation

John 10:27-28
(WEB) 27 My sheep hear [listen] my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give eternal life to them [The sheep who listen to and follow Lord Jesus]. They will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

John 15:10 (WEB) 10 If you (believers) keep my commandments, you will remain in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and remain in his love.

1 John 2:4-6 (WEB)5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made perfect in them. This is how we know we are in him: This is how we know that we are in him: 6 he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk just like he walked.

1 Peter 2:21 (WEB) 21 For you were called to this, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving you an example, that you should follow his steps, 22 who didn’t sin, “neither was deceit found in his mouth.” [Isaiah 53:9]

1 John 1:7 (WEB) 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

Revelation 3:21 (WEB) 21 He who overcomes, I will give to him to sit down with me on my throne, as I also overcame, and sat down with my Father on his throne.

1 John 3:7 (WEB) Little children, let no one lead you astray. He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
Because no one has ever been able to achieve sinless perfection, how can you have any assurance of salvation?

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because no one has ever been able to achieve sinless perfection, how can you have any assurance of salvation?

First of all, you are going to have to make a decision to either ignore and reject the Scriptures already provided for you to consider.

Secondly, the Scriptures teach us that we are to be holy and perfect just as God is perfect.

1 Peter 4:1-4 (EWEB) 4 Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind; for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, 2 that you no longer should live the rest of your time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.

1 Peter 1:14-16 (EWEB) 14 as children of obedience, not conforming yourselves according to your former lusts as in your ignorance, 15 but just as he who called you is holy, you yourselves also be holy in all of your behavior; 16 because it is written, “You shall be holy; for I am holy.” [Leviticus 11:44-45]

Luke 9:23-25 (EWEB) 23 He said to all, “If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever will lose his life for my sake, will save it. 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits his own self?

How is that possible to be perfect and holy? According to God's Word, not me, we are perfect and holy in God's sight as we live to follow Lord Jesus into a sanctified life of righteousness and love (Colossians 3:1-17). If this is our mindset and way of life then, if we should sin in weakness and confess our sins, God will forgive our sins as we continue to live out sanctified lives. In this way, we are always holy before God, cleansed by the Blood of Christ.

This is not my opinion, rather, that is what God states to us in His Word, as follows:

1 John 1:5-10 (WEB) 5 This is the message which we have heard from him and announce to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us the sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we haven’t sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:1-4 (WEB) My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have a Counselor with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous. 2 And he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the whole world. 3 This is how we know that we know him: if we keep his commandments. 4 One who says, “I know him,” and doesn’t keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth isn’t in him.

1 John 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 Whoever continues in sin is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.

By a true Gospel Faith, a sinner repents and commits his life to renounce sinful passions, and to live to follow Lord Jesus into a sanctified life of righteousness and love. That is the true faith by which God’s Spirit dwells in us to guide us to be victorious in the new life of salvation we committed to when first believing. If those who are in the Faith, as described, should sin in weakness and repent, then God forgives; and so, the Christian remain holy onto God (1 John 1:6-7).

If a Christian falls away from the faith in deliberate sin, then he should repent quickly. Perhaps God may still grant their repentance that they may recover themselves (2 Timothy 2:24-26), because Christians can become hardened by continual sin, which is death (Hebrews 3:12-15).

Hebrews 3:12-15 (EWEB) 12 Beware, brothers and sisters, lest perhaps there might be in any one of you an evil heart of unbelief, in falling away from the living God; 13 but exhort one another day by day, so long as it is called “today”, lest anyone of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence firm to the end, 15 while it is said, “Today if you will hear his voice, don’t harden your hearts, as in the rebellion.” [Psalm 95:7-8]

Upvote 0