• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How old were you when you got diagnosed?

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just Believe, if you get covered under and employer by law they can't deny you coverage. If you have more than 12 months of continuous coverage in a prior health plan, it can be used to fully offset and eliminate the maximum preexisting condition exclusion period under a new plan. Check out the HIPPA information http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html .

Your best bet is to get on a birth control like TriNessa (ortho-tricylen generic) that you can get at Kroger without insurance for $9 a month. Just go to pharmacies that have reduced rates on certain meds and find out their plans for birth control and then talk to a gynocologist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HisLittleHazelnut

Coming soon with new account... find me if you can
Mar 21, 2006
Searcy, AR
✟26,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
26. I've got all the trademarks. Shave my face every single day... :doh:

I started with having twice monthly periods, starting when I was only 9 years old. After I turned 15 my mom took me to the gyno (that was the earliest I could be seen at gyno by my insurance) and was put on the pill to try to regulate my periods.

It didn't work. When I went off, my periods took a long time to restart. Even now I sometimes miss for 11 months. Typically I go about 4 months between periods.

Upvote 0

fieldmouse3

Contributor
Feb 14, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
✟8,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was 23...I had never had regular periods, but I started having other symptoms about year before the actual diagnosis. I should also add that it was a post I made on Christian Forums about all the weird symptoms I was having that first brought PCOS to my attention, and led me to ask my doctor about it. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mistia

MistyPaws
Nov 12, 2005
South West UK
Visit site
✟8,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
I was diagnosed when I was 35, a couple of doctors dismissed my symptons of excessive facial hair weight gain, painful/heavy periods and weight gain and said it was not PCOS.

I did not give up and kept nagging and finally a very nice locum doctor actually listened and sent me for a scan, when the medic did the scan she said my doctor could be correct, turns out I have about 12 very small cysts on each ovary.

As a result of this diagnosis (thank you Dr Lewis) I was given free laser hair removal treatment on the NHS. It has made a huge difference although I still have to pluck small patches, I have been advised that I can have more laser treatment.

I used to put my symptons down to being ill with depression, comfort eating and not taking as much excercise as usual,and that because my grandfather is half Indian I have inherited his dark genes, which I now appreciate as being beautiful.

I was also diagnosed a couple of years ago with a curved spine and as that is very painful at times I can't do certain high impact excercises so have to try to curb my sweet tooth and do gentle excercises.

Periods are under control with the 3 month jab and my facial hair has improved, so even though I was not diagnosed until my mid thirties at least I can now live with it and there is treatment available to ease symptons.

If anyone here has these symptons and has not been diagnosed or dismissed by doctors, keep on asking each time you see your doctor. You know your own body better than anyone else.

Upvote 0

Mistia

MistyPaws
Nov 12, 2005
South West UK
Visit site
✟8,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
I was 17. Have not been well now for three years straight. It hurts so bad that I can't walk half the time.

Go back to your doctor and talk to him/her about this, you should not have to suffer with that amount of pain, I empathise with you.

Upvote 0

Feileacan

Jul 31, 2010
Aabenraa, Denmark
✟8,692.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I was 18. I have had some of the symptoms like excessive hair, irregular cycle ever since I was 12, and my mom is also a sufferer. I'm not clinically overweight but I'm too heavy for my liking so I'm trying to lose weight.
The irritability and constant PMS like symptoms affect me a lot. On top of that I have Asperger Syndrome so the emotions are really confusing.
I'm also being treated for depression. I can't go on the pill because I get horrendous migraines so I don't get a lot of help at all. So I guess I have a lot to contend with! But I'm dealing with it in my own way, with the help of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ElizabethGould

Bassist
Sep 17, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
✟7,682.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I was 19 and had been showing symptoms of PCOS for something like 2 years previously. I'd gained a LOT of weight, was constantly shaving my face, legs and armpits, was often dizzy/sleepy from high blood sugar levels and was generally falling ill all the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

xDanielle

In the beginning...
Mar 17, 2012
McMinnville, TN
✟15,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I haven't been fully diagnosed yet but both my doctor and my gyn think it's a high possibility. My doctor did a blood test which revealed that I have too much testosterone in my system, my gyn put me on birth control (Loestrin 24 Fe) to regulate my periods and help me get rid of unwanted facial hair and they're doing a pelvic ultrasound this week so we'll see how it goes.

Upvote 0

Carole1701

Jan 23, 2013
Georgia, USA
✟15,112.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My daughter was 15 when she was diagnosed. I'd been pitching a fit with her doctor since she was 13 to find out why she wasn't having periods. He poo poo'd my concern and said she could be as old as 16 before she started.

It was only when she started having excessive body hair that he finally agreed that she had a problem.

Ladies, trust your instincts. Insist on testing. Catch it early.

Upvote 0