How old is the Earth?

Servant77

Mar 27, 2003
My Own Little Anime/RPG World
✟7,876.00
Faith
Christian
Some say 100,000,000 years old, others (who aren't so bright) say 2003 years old. In my honest opinion (although it looks way to low compared to 100,000,000) the Earth is no older than 20,000 years old. If you count up all of the generations together from Adam to now, it's about 15,000 years. I'm probably wrong, though (as usual). Anyone think otherwise? Thanks for you time.

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
The oldest known rock on Earth dates to about 3.9 billion years old. So the Earth would have to be at least that old.

And based on dating of meteorites within our solar system (the assumption being that planets in our solar system formed from a common pool of matter), scientists have pegged the Earth's age at about 4.6 billion years old.

Personally, having looked at the data, I see no reason to doubt it.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Today at 12:08 AM Servant77 said this in Post #1  If you count up all of the generations together from Adam to now, it's about 15,000 years.

Adam and Eve are about 6000 years old. According to the Hebrews, they believe that Adam and Eve are around 5700 years old. But most Christians have them around 6000 years. This is all pretty much backed up by the history book.

As far as the age of the earth. The history book says nothing about that. It is pretty silent on the that question. That gets into something totally different, they call it: Prehistory or prehistorical.

Upvote 0
While I can't put an exact age to the earth, I don't think it's wrong for Christians to not believe in the 'young earth (6000 year)' theory. I think as humans we are compelled to put a time and place to things, so 6 days 'our time' (so to speak) for God to create the earth..well...what's a day to God?
I realize that my explanation isn't exactly backed up by geographical evidence or Biblical for that matter, but it's how I understand it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
6000 years is the general age that YEC (Young Earth creationists) give. Even though no one knows really where they got to that number.

another is 12,000 years. for a set of Gap YECs. They believe that its been about 6000 years since the fall and about 12,000 years since the creation of the world. They get this information based on a verse that says gods days are 1000 years

Then there is science, that actually studies the earth. Refere to Pete for that info. :)

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yesterday at 11:44 PM Servant77 said this in Post #8

6000 years? never heard of that theory... then again, I haven't really studied it, either...

That's the number you'd get if you actually followed the geneology. It's visibly wrong; we have evidence of human activity on earth going back further.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
The earth (together with the whole universe) is, let me check - today is Saturday, yes - it´s two days old.

The whole universe, earth, mankind and yourself was created last Thursday. Such says the holy doctrine of Last Thursdayism (not to be confused with the heretical and totally wrong, evil religion of Last Tuesdayism.)

Upvote 0

Taffsadar

Followerof Quincy
Jan 25, 2003
The land of the free, Sweden
Visit site
✟830.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 05:18 AM JohnR7 said this in Post #4

Adam and Eve are about 6000 years old. According to the Hebrews, they believe that Adam and Eve are around 5700 years old. But most Christians have them around 6000 years. This is all pretty much backed up by the history book. 

No it's not. History books usually contains statements like. The first recorded writing is 15 000 year old and comes from China.

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
6000 years is the general age that YEC (Young Earth creationists) give. Even though no one knows really where they got to that number.

As Seebs says they use Biblical geneologies. I think the first to get the 6,000 year date was Bishop Ussher.  This page from Answer in Genesis explains.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/3563.asp

It puts the flood date at 2304 BC around the time of the 6th dynasty in Egypt. AiG is adamant that "gap" dating not be used and that the earth is only about 6,000 years old.
BTW my favorite statement on the AiG page is
As our starting point we will take the Birth of Christ. It is unlikely anyone will dispute that Christ was born approximately 1,984 years ago. Since Christ is recorded as having referred to Noah's Flood as a past event it should be obvious that we need data that will take us back beyond 2000 years.

Well duh! Did even YECs really have to be told that the worldwide flood could not have occured in the last 2,000 years.  Maybe so. ;)

Creation Ex Nihilo is what passes in YEC circles as a "peer reviewed journal. Is it any wonder they can't publish in real peer reviewed literature.

The fact that the creation and flood dates promoted by AiG are in total conflict with history does not bother them at all.  They already have to reject most of modern science to support the young earth and worldwide flood so rejecting world history is also easy.

The Frumious Bandersnatch

Upvote 0