How normal is it for mainline congregation to be more conservative than their denomination?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
My congregation (ELCA) is somewhat more conservative than the statements our denominational affiliation would suggest. How typical is this?

I was surprised by my pastor yesterday using a reference to Trump moving the US embassy to Jerusalem, in one of his sermons. It wasn't as heavy handedly political as it could have been, but still I think the logic of his reference was potentially misleading. Our denomination actually passed a resolution favoring divestment from Israel because of its treatment of Palestinians, and Lutheran eschatology is traditionally amillenialist and sees no special theological significance to the modern Israeli state. I feel like sometimes the pastor isn't on the same page with the ethos of our denomination, and that's one example that's the most salient.

Personally, I find this difficult at times because my identity as a Christian and a Lutheran is more aligned with mainline Protestantism and Catholic modernists, whereas my pastor seems to draw alot from the cultural right, even if he comes across as doing so in a moderate way. I believe its important for mainline churches to draw clearer boundaries, especially on topics where we differ from the prevailing evangelical culture.

Last edited:

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My congregation (ELCA) is somewhat more conservative than the statements our denominational affiliation would suggest. How typical is this?

I was surprised by my pastor yesterday using a reference to Trump moving the US embassy to Jerusalem, in one of his sermons. It wasn't as heavy handedly political as it could have been, but still I think the logic of his reference was potentially misleading. Our denomination actually passed a resolution favoring divestment from Israel because of its treatment of Palestinians, and Lutheran eschatology is traditionally amillenialist and sees no special theological significance to the modern Israeli state. I feel like sometimes the pastor isn't on the same page with the ethos of our denomination, and that's one example that's the most salient.

Personally, I find this difficult at times because my identity as a Christian and a Lutheran is more aligned with mainline Protestantism and Catholic modernists, whereas my pastor seems to draw alot from the cultural right, even if he comes across as doing so in a moderate way. I believe its important for mainline churches to draw clearer boundaries, especially on topics where we differ from the prevailing evangelical culture.
Since this caused you some serious concern, I would suggest that you have an informal chat with him about it. Clear up any misunderstanding before they become issues that might interfere with your relationship. Chances are that if you felt uncomfortable others did as well but they might not say anything. Little problems can develop into big problems if they are left alone.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my observation, official statements by denominations tend to be something of a line down the middle, with some congregations being more conservative and others more liberal than those statements would suggest.

"Mainline" doesn't mean much in Australia, but I'd say that Anglicans culturally are wary of clear boundaries. :)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
All the mainline denominations, at least all the major ones, have "renewal movements", networks of theological conservatives, both individuals and congregations, that choose to stay in the mainline denominations.

My pastor did have friends in Lutheran CORE but he differed with them in their decision to leave the ELCA after the 2009 social statement on sexuality. But otherwise I'd say he's closer to them but leaving the church was a bridge he was not willing to cross.

True theological conservativism is extremely rare in the ELCA. My pastor is clearly Neo-Orthodox. He's sort of like a time capsule from the 60's and 70's, the folks that walked out of Concordia, St. Louis in the whole Seminex exodus.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Very. Shop around as each building has a different group of believers and ideals.
Or stay there. There are always people inside each church you can socialize with on an "even" level....or learn to tolerate others. A great place to learn tolerance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My pastor did have friends in Lutheran CORE but he differed with them in their decision to leave the ELCA after the 2009 social statement on sexuality. But otherwise I'd say he's closer to them but leaving the church was a bridge he was not willing to cross.

True theological conservativism is extremely rare in the ELCA. My pastor is clearly Neo-Orthodox. He's sort of like a time capsule from the 60's and 70's, the folks that walked out of Concordia, St. Louis in the whole Seminex exodus.
My dorm at Washington University, at the very southwest end of campus, was almost at the LCMS seminary in St. Louis. And I was in residence when their seminary fractured and Seminex started. I wasn't up on what was actually going on at the time, being more focused on other things. Since then I have even run into Wisconsin Synod folks.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, the mainline churches are all pretty diverse. The southern parts would tend to be more conservative.

Israel policy as an area where there's a lot of disagreement with denominational positions.

I can see drawing some lines, but that kind of political judgement isn't where I'd o it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, the mainline churches are all pretty diverse. The southern parts would tend to be more conservative.

It seems to be something that is pervasive in the culture and crosses denominational boundaries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My dorm at Washington University, at the very southwest end of campus, was almost at the LCMS seminary in St. Louis. And I was in residence when their seminary fractured and Seminex started. I wasn't up on what was actually going on at the time, being more focused on other things. Since then I have even run into Wisconsin Synod folks.

Eden Seminary, which I attended a few years ago, loaned space to host Seminex when the schism occurred.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Eden Seminary, which I attended a few years ago, loaned space to host Seminex when the schism occurred.
As did St. Louis University, run by the Jesuits, IIRC. Temporarily anyway. Which denomination runs Eden Seminary?

• Informative
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Each congregation is different. And each one changes over time as well.
There is never a perfect match.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Each congregation is different. And each one changes over time as well.
There is never a perfect match.

There is a perfect match for certain people, but not everyone. My problem is I don't match any of them.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a perfect match for certain people, but not everyone. My problem is I don't match any of them.

Yeah, certain folks definitely have an easier time than others.

Upvote 0