How much longer will growth of Antarcic ice save our coastlands?

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow!!!!!!

With modern technology this project while huge is doable. There may be a miniscule effect on sea level but I think the biggest benefit would be the creation of a mini-climate around the lake that would enable settlement and agriculture.

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How did you capture that image?
I simply paused the vid at that point, and then invoked a screenshot program. I'm on Linux, and screenshot is built in. I think Win10 finally has it built in as well, otherwise there are third party progs available.

Cool about sustainable ag. I was getting into gardening big time several years ago, until I came down with Lyme and related illnesses. He is a very good speaker.

• Useful
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,216,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
Ratings on this thread cleaned up.
NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, smileys or post ratings which are clearly meant to goad.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you do 2% about it? All we need is for everyone to do their share.

Otherwise, every country can say the same thing. France is 1%, Australia is 1%, Brazil is 1%, Turkey is 1%, South Africa is 1%, Poland is 1%, Italy is 1%, the UK is 1%, Mexico is 1%, South Korea is 2%, Canada is 2%, Germany is 2%, Saudi Arabia is 2%, Japan is 4%, Russia is 5%, India is 6%. None of them individually are responsible for much, and none of them individually can make much of a dent in the problem. CO2 emissions have risen 60% since 1990, so even if India stopped all carbon use, it wouldn't get us back even a tenth of the way back to that level.

Together those countries amount to 32%. If they don't do anything, why should the US (15%)? If that total 47% doesn't do anything, why should China (28%)?

That's been the status quo forever, which is why the Paris Accords are a very useful attempt at coordinated action where everyone does their share, and no one feels like they've been left to carry the whole load.

And yet impossible. Not one single new rule has hit the public.
Not that I know of anyway. We have not EVEN had an effort to turn off
one light bulb per house. Or turn down our central heat one degree
for one hour a day. Or drive one less mile per week.

I think one airline vowed to buy more efficient engines.

• Informative
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
With modern technology this project while huge is doable. There may be a miniscule effect on sea level but I think the biggest benefit would be the creation of a mini-climate around the lake that would enable settlement and agriculture.

After the fifteen minute mark in the following video the number of seven hundred and ten trillion for the worldwide Derivatives markets is given.

Senator and CIA Insider Accuse Federal Reserve of Covering Up Secret Bankruptcy

About ten minutes later on in that video it is stated that China..... is building White Elephants..... entire modern upscale cities...... with nobody in them...... because the people of China cannot afford to live there!

In a way.... China deserves credit for creating jobs for its citizens....... with the building of these White Elephants but.... they are doing it to make their economy look much better than it really is.

Somebody somewhere needs to come up with something more truly productive than building cities that nobody can afford to live in!

Genesis 11
6 And Jehovah said, Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is what they begin to do: and now nothing will be withholden from them, which they purpose to do.

Ecc 10:19

A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Oh, the irony of someone advocating superstition claiming it's others that want to send the world back to the stone age.
Oh the irony of someone ignoring thousands of years of history, the unmistakable evidence of creation, the incredible creativeness and inventiveness of Christians prominent in science, research, invention, technology, medicine and so on. If people had followed Biblical principles of agriculture, farming practices, animal husbandry and people management, we would not be in the mess we are in now.

• Agree
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Oh the irony of someone ignoring thousands of years of history, the unmistakable evidence of creation, the incredible creativeness and inventiveness of Christians prominent in science, research, invention, technology, medicine and so on.

You appear to be confusing the beliefs a person holds with the applications thereof.

Nobody is denying that Christians can't contribute to scientific endeavors. However, it is not strictly Christians beliefs in and of themselves that lend themselves to those applications.

If people had followed Biblical principles of agriculture, farming practices, animal husbandry and people management, we would not be in the mess we are in now.

[citation needed]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
one light bulb per house. Or turn down our central heat one degree
for one hour a day. Or drive one less mile per week.

I think one airline vowed to buy more efficient engines.
Australia has given free LED lights to every household that wants them. Solar panels are subsidised, so much so that the grid struggles to handle the irregular power. Again, one of the major problems is clearing forests wholesale. Big business only cares about making a buck today. While they rule the world, not a great deal will change. Don't worry, they won't be in control much longer.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You appear to be confusing the beliefs a person holds with the applications thereof.

Nobody is denying that Christians can't contribute to scientific endeavors. However, it is not strictly Christians beliefs in and of themselves that lend themselves to those applications.

[citation needed]
Did I say specifically Christian? No. Israel was given guidelines for good farming practices. You'll find it in the Bible. It works practically whatever your beliefs.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Did I say specifically Christian? No.

Oh the irony of someone ignoring thousands of years of history, the unmistakable evidence of creation, the incredible creativeness and inventiveness of Christians prominent in science, research, invention, technology, medicine and so on.

(emphasis mine)

Looks like you did say Christians.

Israel was given guidelines for good farming practices. You'll find it in the Bible. It works practically whatever your beliefs.

Not what I asked.

You said this:

If people had followed Biblical principles of agriculture, farming practices, animal husbandry and people management, we would not be in the mess we are in now.

When I say "citation needed", it means you need to support this claim. Otherwise it's just an unsupported assertion with no credibility.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
one light bulb per house.

You must have missed all the whining about the phase-out of less efficient incandescent bulbs.

"LED bulbs use over 75% less energy than incandescent lighting."

Probably you are saving more energy than if you turned out half the bulbs in your house.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of ice has been melting off the land based Greenland Ice Sheet and the world glaciers so why have we seen so little rise in ocean levels?Up until now the GROWTH of the Antarctic ice sheet has balanced things out.

I wonder if God's promise not to flood the world is tied to keeping ocean levels in check? Just a random thought.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Aqaba, Jordan and Eilat, Israel are within sight of each other and are sustained by tourism as Red Sea coral reef snorkeling is popular. Europeans went there in the winter. There was a hotel on the Egyptian shore near them at Taba. It was blown up by Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda drove Christians out of El Arish in the Sinai. Preaching Christianity to Jews is illegal in Israel.

I do not know of any farms sustained with desalinated irrigation water. The areas south of Beersheva are not good for tree farms. There is limited desert scrub vegetation in erosion galleys. It is not forest. The Dead Sea has some tourist hotels, mud treatments and swimming in the Dead Sea. They have large scale evaporation ponds to extract salts including potassium chloride - potash. There is phosphate mining in the Negev.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wonder if God's promise not to flood the world is tied to keeping ocean levels in check? Just a random thought.

I doubt it, considering that if all the ice everywhere melted, the ocean would only rise by 70 meters, which would cover a lot of land, but not nearly all of it. So it wouldn't qualify as flooding the entire world.

• Useful
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

That sounds logical to me.

From many different sources I am reading and hearing about an outpouring of the Holy Spirit at this time and for the coming thousand years.

A near death experiencer was shown that the Holy Spirit will change the way that the world economy and spiritual situation will be changed over the next two centuries. Howard was shown this in 1985 and I do believe it is beginning.

Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience
Howard Storm's light being friends told him more about the new world to come. According to them, God wished to usher in the kingdom within the next two hundred years. In order to do so, God had rescinded some of the free will given to creatures, in favor of more divine control over human events. This new world order, according to Howard, will resemble some near-death descriptions of heaven. People will live in such peace and harmony and love that communication will be telepathic, travel instantaneous and the need for clothing and shelter eliminated. The lion will indeed lie down with the lamb.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I doubt it, considering that if all the ice everywhere melted, the ocean would only rise by 70 meters, which would cover a lot of land, but not nearly all of it. So it wouldn't qualify as flooding the entire world.

But even a one meter rise in ocean level will be disastrous in so many cities and nations.

Thankfully some good ideas are being put forward:

Sahara Solar Breeder Foundation official website

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Thank you for putting the other person's statement in a sub quote but they gave their name so.... you could have given them credit for their statement.
I didn't want to embarrass him... ;) But I did link to the post that credited him.

As to fundamental energy I suggest visiting a used book store look for "Stephen Hawking's Universe" and reading chapter thirteen...
We both know the chances of finding that are remote; so why don't you describe the relevant part of chapter thirteen for me?

... but my larger point for those willing to approach this with an open mind is that I am convinced that we human are actually some of the weakest....... least well informed........ least energetic........ forms of "intelligence" in the universe - multiverse.
What has convinced you of that?

My point being that Mr. Al Gore giving in to Richard Dawkins Ph. D. and following his philosophy obsequiously is not particularly impressive to me, but..... his film An Inconvenient Truth was reasonably well done......... but Mr. Gore should be bright enough to realize that his film is not the final word on the topic of how best to attempt to stabilize the climate.
Did he say it was the final word?

Upvote 0