How much longer will growth of Antarcic ice save our coastlands?

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A lot of ice has been melting off the land based Greenland Ice Sheet and the world glaciers so why have we seen so little rise in ocean levels?

Up until now the GROWTH of the Antarctic ice sheet has balanced things out.

The rate of ice sheet growth though on Antarctica seems to be slowing down.

According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001. That net gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008."

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses

So what should we do?

I think that we should forget about the silly Carbon Tax idea. We Canadians produce less than two percent of Global Atmospheric Greenhouse Gas Emissions anyway so the logic of why we should burden our businesses and taxpayers with billions and tens of billions in taxes for something that we cannot do much about is terribly illogical.

There is a better way though!

Reactions: Jeshu

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I wonder can the Australians save us or at least delay the problem for a decade or two?

Australia: A long term solution

Israeli technology can certainly be useful in the next phase.

Cheap Water from the World’s Largest Modern Seawater Desalination Plant

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

I heard a historical record read, that when the settlers first came to Southwestern Desert, in the U.S.; that the grass was as high as the saddles on their horses.

Regenerative agriculture can nullify Anthropogenic CO2

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
What will save us is Christians waking up and repenting. 2 Chronicles 7:14 It's been pouring down rain in many drought stricken areas recently. I mow the lawn, turn around and it's growing already. OK, slight exaggeration. Many Christians have been fasting and praying. A number of miracles occurred during the terrible bushfires and now those fires are out. Dams are filling and farmers are rejoicing. Greenies will be frustrated. They want to send the world back to the stone age!

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,189.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So what should we do?

I think that we should forget about the silly Carbon Tax idea.

The air looks and smells a lot cleaner today than it is 20 years ago.

Considering we have a lot more people now....

I think it's an improvement. Let's keep at it.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

By this logic any invidual action to cut your carbon emission is futile because there are 7,7 billion other people so your contribution is basically meaningless.

Of course if everyone thinks so the effect of negligence multiplies and the combined result is overwhelming.

Funny how nobody ever mentions how futile single person breaching gospel is when compared to 7,7 billion people. So we could totally quit it or something ?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

You are correct.... a powerful case can be presented that the enemies of the USA and Israel see the potential weakness of the USA dollar as the only way to bring down the USA out of her spot of military pre-eminence so some high level people seem to have decided to infiltrate Green organizations in order to wreck the USA economy. An astonishing amount of dis-information seems to have been happening on so many levels.

Unconverted Russia and its influence on the Mideast

You are absolutely correct that Christians repenting and praying and turning to our Creator is the key but we also should take a good look at Isaiah 35
because there are so many advantages to deliberately turning deserts green.

The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.
6 Then shall the lame man leap as a hart, and the tongue of the dumb shall sing; for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.

7 And the glowing sand shall become a pool, and the thirsty ground springs of water: in the habitation of jackals, where they lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.

Mr. Carl Cantrell gives an update on his theory here:

I Told You So 287

Here is a somewhat similar idea done in a way that is more politically correct:

How to green the world's deserts and reverse climate change | Allan Savory

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Mr. Carl Cantrell's theory continued:

I Told You So 287

Carl mentioned solar desalination technology and it is interesting but Israel donated amazing technology to Norway so that Norwegian diplomats and scientists could pass the technology on to nations that would not deal directly with Israel.

Sahara Forest Project -

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

You may find the update to Mr. Carl Cantrell's theory somewhat interesting:

I Told You So 287

Carl and I did put this idea in front of Mr. Al Gore and Sir Richard Branson and the team at the Virgin Earth Challenge back in 2007.

My two somewhat humorous submissions for $25 million Virgin Earth Challenge.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Building Solar panels on the sahara desert could provide electricity and enough convection currents to reduce the deserts drought. Likely this would cool it.

What if We Turned The Sahara Desert Into a Giant Solar Farm?

Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The air looks and smells a lot cleaner today than it is 20 years ago.

Considering we have a lot more people now....

I think it's an improvement. Let's keep at it.

True.... some progress has been made.

There is also some good news.

NEWS | April 26, 2016
CO2 is making Earth greener—for now
By Samson Reiny,
NASA's Earth Science News Team

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Even at 1.6%, Canada ranks as one of the highest per person emissions. Twice the per person rate of China. Reducing individual carbon emissions is best for everyone....but very unlikely to happen.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Carl and I did put this idea in front of Mr. Al Gore and Sir Richard Branson and the team at the Virgin Earth Challenge back in 2007.

Let me guess. You did not win the prize.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I heard a historical record read, that when the settlers first came to Southwestern Desert, in the U.S.; that the grass was as high as the saddles on their horses.
Regenerative agriculture can nullify Anthropogenic CO2

In a study of Biomass, the amount of active biological activity, student recorded a three fold increase in one cubit yard of soil, in one year. For whatever reason.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Even at 1.6%, Canada ranks as one of the highest per person emissions. Twice the per person rate of China. Reducing individual carbon emissions is best for everyone....but very unlikely to happen.

But......... we Canadians are in a position where the real estate along the Bay of Fundy may be some of the most vulnerable land on earth so......... we are forced to put first things first and think like a physician and worry about the threat of rising ocean levels first, (metaphorically it seems to be the number one most life threatening condition that the patient, the planet, seems to be facing)?!

I am hoping that some very bright Christian high school or community college or university students living along the Bay of Fundy may just put a somewhat different angle on the climate change discussion and hopefully even lure Ms. Thunberg into their project?

Concept for a Christian documentary starring Ms. Greta Thunberg....

"If average ocean levels rose by eight to ten cms (3 or 4 inches) could high tide...

... rise by one meter in the Isthmus of Chignecto in Nova Scotia, Canada?

This question is logical because the geography of Canada's Bay of Fundy produces the world's highest tides. In my part of Nova Scotia in Guysborough County there is very little funnelling of tidal waters......... so high tide is only about one to one point five meters above low tide.

In the eastern area of the Bay of Fundy high tide levels are up by ten to fifteen meters."

Bay of Fundy Tides: The Highest Tides in the World!

Every cubic meter of ocean water that is desalinated and added to the water table of Israel, California, Algeria, Qatar, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Nevada, South Africa, India or any other nation with lots of desert is really good news for the owners of the real estate along the Bay of Fundy and of Anchorage Alaska that have the second most extreme tides in the world for very similar reasons.

High tide waters are funnelled by the Bay of Fundy into a more and more narrow area and on top of that......... the Bay of Fundy is over one hundred and seventy miles long so high tide water cannot fully drain back into the ocean before the next high tide waters pile on top of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Can you do 2% about it? All we need is for everyone to do their share.

Otherwise, every country can say the same thing. France is 1%, Australia is 1%, Brazil is 1%, Turkey is 1%, South Africa is 1%, Poland is 1%, Italy is 1%, the UK is 1%, Mexico is 1%, South Korea is 2%, Canada is 2%, Germany is 2%, Saudi Arabia is 2%, Japan is 4%, Russia is 5%, India is 6%. None of them individually are responsible for much, and none of them individually can make much of a dent in the problem. CO2 emissions have risen 60% since 1990, so even if India stopped all carbon use, it wouldn't get us back even a tenth of the way back to that level.

Together those countries amount to 32%. If they don't do anything, why should the US (15%)? If that total 47% doesn't do anything, why should China (28%)?

That's been the status quo forever, which is why the Paris Accords are a very useful attempt at coordinated action where everyone does their share, and no one feels like they've been left to carry the whole load.

Upvote 0