How much basil can I fit in 3 gallon container?

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ideally, how much basil plants can I fit in? I'm new to gardening, so I'm just wondering if basil will 'compete with itself'? I currently have 3 successful sprouted basil in one peat pot. So once they're ready to be transplanted in a 3 gallon container..how many individual basil plants can I plant in it would you say?

Thanks! : )

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It might depend on type of basil but we usually grow what would come in a small starter pot if you buy it - just the one plant, and we use 5 gallon buckets. They get pretty large. But there are many types of basil, and that may not be the same for yours.

Reactions: Take Heart
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It might depend on type of basil but we usually grow what would come in a small starter pot if you buy it - just the one plant, and we use 5 gallon buckets. They get pretty large. But there are many types of basil, and that may not be the same for yours.
Ah so from the starter pot, you transplanted it into the 5 gallon buckets? :0 The type of basil I'm currently growing is sweet basil.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah so from the starter pot, you transplanted it into the 5 gallon buckets? :0 The type of basil I'm currently growing is sweet basil.
Yes, starter pot to 5 gallon. Each one made a large bush by itself in the bucket.

• Informative
Upvote 0

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ideally, how much basil plants can I fit in? I'm new to gardening, so I'm just wondering if basil will 'compete with itself'? I currently have 3 successful sprouted basil in one peat pot. So once they're ready to be transplanted in a 3 gallon container..how many individual basil plants can I plant in it would you say?

Thanks! : )
I agree with what others have said, I've grown sweet basil before and it gets pretty big. So I wouldn't recommend putting more than 1 plant in a 3 gallon container.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with what others have said, I've grown sweet basil before and it gets pretty big. So I wouldn't recommend putting more than 1 plant in a 3 gallon container.
Thanks for sharing your experiences DavidaAC! I love your pet, btw ♥ Super adorable c:

Upvote 0