Jan 23, 2007
England
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a newbie here.
I am sure this question has been asked a lot of times but here we go.
How long were you going out before you got engaged?
I'm mid 30's and have met the most wonderful woman. We have known each other for the last 4 years from running youth camps in the summer but only got it together last year. I am currently looking at jobs to be nearer to her etc. I am not rushing into this before you say anything, i am just curious as to what peoples thoughts are.
cheers

Weasel7711

I'm in love with a bunnymedic!
Jun 17, 2004
Virginia Beach
Visit site
✟13,220.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm a newbie here.
I am sure this question has been asked a lot of times but here we go.
How long were you going out before you got engaged?
I'm mid 30's and have met the most wonderful woman. We have known each other for the last 4 years from running youth camps in the summer but only got it together last year. I am currently looking at jobs to be nearer to her etc. I am not rushing into this before you say anything, i am just curious as to what peoples thoughts are.
cheers
my parents were married within 5 months of MEETING and they have been together 23 years and have a great marriage

ive been dating my GF for 4 months, I already KNOW I want to marry her, just giving it a few more months before proposal.

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
my parents were married within 5 months of MEETING and they have been together 23 years and have a great marriage

ive been dating my GF for 4 months, I already KNOW I want to marry her, just giving it a few more months before proposal.
Sounds like the singles forum will be loosing seom key posters soon ;)

Upvote 0

Weasel7711

I'm in love with a bunnymedic!
Jun 17, 2004
Virginia Beach
Visit site
✟13,220.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sounds like the singles forum will be loosing seom key posters soon ;)
oh definately, but we cant get married for another year and a half, id like to finish my bachelors degree so we wont be dirt poor, just regular poor

Upvote 0

Maramixi

Happy caffine addict
Jan 17, 2007
✟15,957.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'd say it completely depends on the two specific people. Me and my fiancee only dated about five months when we got engaged, but he told me he knew he wanted to marry me the first time he said he loved me, which was only after three.

At the same time though, I know lots of people who would be uncomfortable getting engaged that soon.

It really just depends.

Upvote 0

Gardener101

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
✟23,034.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I feel that if you are so certain that you are going to spend the rest of your life with that person, then why the rush? You have the rest of your life together, so what is the harm in waiting a few more months before you get engaged or get hitched?

And please don't say "lack of sexual activity!"

;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kristin364

Jul 5, 2005
Minnesota
✟15,396.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My fiance and I dated for almost 6 years before he proposed...but then again, we started dating when were 15! :)

Not to put a damper on things, but my mom got remarried to man whom she dated for about...5 months maybe? Anyway, the guy turned out to be a selfish pig and he also cheated on her. Not one of my mom's better decisions - I pray for her.

Upvote 0

Maramixi

Happy caffine addict
Jan 17, 2007
✟15,957.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I feel that if you are so certain that you are going to spend the rest of your life with that person, then why the rush? You have the rest of your life together, so what is the harm in waiting a few more months before you get engaged or get hitched?

And please don't say "lack of sexual activity!"

;)
LOL! If you need include that last line then I think you know the answer.

For some people that's just fine and they are okay with it. Then you have people like my fiancee, who brought up eloping twice in one week. *rolls eyes*

Hence I say, it really just depends on the couple.

Upvote 0

Langley

Jan 23, 2007
England
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all the replies. I will marrier her but i am not going to rush into it. Well not just yet. Just been thinking about it for a while that's all.

I would much appreicate your prayers as i start looking for jobs, all a bit scary being out of my comfort zone but exciting as well. I am trusting in God in all aspects of this relationship.

Thanks again for sharing your thought etc.

L:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nova Scotian Boy

Grand Sasquatch
Jan 19, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think it really depends on the individuals. People can go what seems a long time. A Pastor i worked with and is good friends with, met a girl almost immediately started dateing, and within 10 days were engaged.

Was talking to his mother on the phone she said "Oh how are things with that girl you just started dateing?"

He replies, "Oh great, i asked her to marry me" his mother drops the phone and starts crying in shock. At whitch his father grabs the phone and yells. "WHAT DID YOU SAY TO YOUR MOTHER?"

They have been married 30 years now, but id say unless your 100% sure thats the one, then to slow things down.

Reactions: plum
Upvote 0

eatenbylocusts

Senior Veteran
Oct 13, 2005
✟14,434.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When I hear about people getting engaged and married within a few months I think danger. That's great that it's worked out for some. If both have the commitment to work on the marriage and not run when things get tough, then it can work. But, how do you really know that the person is one of those who will stick around if you don't even know them well? People are on their best behaviour in the beginning.

By the mid-30's I think a year could be enough. I think short engagements are the way to go. I also think everyone should take a marriage preparedness course that walks through the typical areas that cause problems in marriage. You get engaged and plan the wedding asap. My opinion.

Upvote 0

Langley

Jan 23, 2007
England
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like i have said, we have known each other for over 4 years working on the same youth camp together as leaders. It is a fairly good way to know someone and how they re-act in situations when running such camps. I have seen her annoyed, angry and happy, she has seen the same in me during our relationship.

The discussions we have had over this last weekend have been good about the future of our relationship. The things said were not flippent remarks but serious ones. We are meeting this weekend so will continue the conversations.
I know there are pros and cons of getting engaged after what some see as a short time. The other question is if you know you want to spend the rest of my life with this person why wait?!
Each relationship and the circustances around it are different for each person.

Oh, having only met the folks once i guess it is still the done thing to ask the father etc.

Upvote 0