How long will creationist beliefs go on for?

Tomatoman

Feb 3, 2010
✟1,829.00
Faith
Anglican
"Simple" or "often"?

If you change your views with every new issue of SlyandTricks Anmerrymen, why should I take what you say against against the Bible seriously?

Why can't I just wait until your views catch up with God's?

You are desperately trying to avoid the fact that you have the problem with the real world, not me.

You are the one who takes the real world with a "grain of sand", not me.

You are the one who has to use coping strategies to deal with these problems, not me.

Having the real world on ignore may be a radical solution, but it seems to work for you.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,914,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Having the real world on ignore may be a radical solution, but it seems to work for you.
I'm not the one who...
That's why your president or public figures always mentioning god makes us pass the sick bucket.
... needs a 'sick bucket' whenever our public figures mention God.

It sounds to me like your allegiance to science has given you some kind of spiritual ulcer.

Upvote 0

Tomatoman

Feb 3, 2010
✟1,829.00
Faith
Anglican
I'm not the one who...
... needs a 'sick bucket' whenever our public figures mention God.

It sounds to me like your allegiance to science has given you some kind of spiritual ulcer.

Aha, two in one. Deliberate misunderstanding tactic as well as inability to comprehend foriegn attitudes of non-religious country. Parochialism and avoidance all in one go. Impressive.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,914,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aha, two in one. Deliberate misunderstanding tactic as well as inability to comprehend foriegn attitudes of non-religious country. Parochialism and avoidance all in one go. Impressive.
Like I said, I'll just take what you said with a grain of sand, then.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
(emphasis mine) ...and who was it first said that? One of the biggest liars in UK politics for decades. (he was of course actually talking about the New Labour administration not UK politicians across the board so to try to apply it in that manner is misleading at best)
It was a reference to the Labour politician that said it. I can't remember who it was off the top of my head, but in any case you can't seriously be disputing the fact that religious adherence to Christianity plays any real role whatsoever in political legitimacy here.

Upvote 0

Tomatoman

Feb 3, 2010
✟1,829.00
Faith
Anglican
What are you talking about? What bucket?

He was referring to a colourful phrase I used about the reaction on this side of the Atlantic when American presidents or public figures start mentioning god. 'Pass the sick bucket' being the pertinent phrase. I have a feeling that this reaction is so beyond AV's frame of reference that I may as well have been speaking a foriegn language.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It was a reference to the Labour politician that said it. I can't remember who it was off the top of my head, but in any case you can't seriously be disputing the fact that religious adherence to Christianity plays any real role whatsoever in political legitimacy here.

While there are still Christian Politicians and while Christians are still allowed to vote then yes. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it illegitimate.

PS. It wasn't a politician who said it

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
While there are still Christian Politicians and while Christians are still allowed to vote then yes. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it illegitimate.

Whose opinion would you say it represents?

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
What? When did I say Christians shouldn't vote or that Christian politicians do not exist? Do you even know what I'm arguing?
A quick google seems to say it was Alastair Campbell.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,914,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He was referring to a colourful phrase I used about the reaction on this side of the Atlantic when American presidents or public figures start mentioning god.
Any negative reaction -- even rolling your eyes -- tells me that you guys must roll your eyes a lot; like every time you see your flag.

Unless, of course, you don't; which would be ... ironic.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What? When did I say Christians shouldn't vote or that Christian politicians do not exist? Do you even know what I'm arguing?
I know that secularists want to think that they can exclude Christianity (or any other religion) from the public sphere but while Christians are still allowed to vote and still allowed to stand for parliament then Christianity will continue to influence public life as they have a right to (perhaps you want to nitpick about the word 'adherence' but this the nub of the issue).
A quick google seems to say it was Alastair Campbell.

And the context of that quote shows us how spineless Blair was, the extent of Campbell's grip over the New Labour administration and how rotten that administration had become. And as I've already said to try and use that quote as a blanket representation of UK politics is at best misleading. I'm sure there are plenty who would wish it to be true, just as there are plenty who know it isn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tomatoman

Feb 3, 2010
✟1,829.00
Faith
Anglican
Any negative reaction -- even rolling your eyes -- tells me that you guys must roll your eyes a lot; like every time you see your flag.

Unless, of course, you don't; which would be ... ironic.

As I say, completely beyond your ken.

(You should come to Britain sometime; you'd find it very interesting, I'm sure.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
theFijian said:
I know that secularists want to think that they can exclude Christianity (or any other religion) from the public sphere
No. I want to exclude the government from endorsing, advocating and providing assistance through my tax money to any religion. I also don't want government to discourage and oppress any particular religion (with the exception of Scientology, which is a cult). That is what Secularism is.
but while Christians are still allowed to vote and still allowed to stand for parliament then Christianity will continue to influence public life as they have a right to
I'm sure it will and I never said they couldn't or wouldn't. But they don't. Britain is largely apathetic to religion. That was my point and it goes much further than merely citing the spindoctor of Tony Blair. How many of the main political parties have any religious spokespersons (with the exception of Ann Widdecombe)? How much of a problem are issues like homosexual marriage, abortion, stem cell research and euthanasia here in contrast to the USA? Even the BNP, a party which tries to herald our ancestry and culture is barely religious in how it presents itself.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,914,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status