2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You bring up many points that would take some time to cover, but to put it simply, the way the modern church operates is far removed from the biblical model.

Pastors should not be the only ones preaching/teaching in church. 1 Cor 14:26

Pastors shouldn't be the only ones to "care for the congregation"... sure, as "Shepherd" they have primary responsibility for such care, but the implication is "I am not the Pastor so I don't have to worry about you" ( I have heard this many times )

Modern church puts WAY to much emphasis on pastors and in some cases worships the pastor above Christ. I have been in churches that will devote an entire service to giving thanks to the pastor for his service and such. It is disgusting and abominable. Pastors are but one gift Jesus gave to the church, not the one and only, and certainly not even the most "important".

You are right, it is the body that should also be teaching,preaching, counsel, like elders. The whole notion of this pyramid with the pastor at the top is false and well, carnal and rooted in mans traditions.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even you stated that the pastor has PRIMARY responability for their people, that is a full time job.

Then why did Paul who many could argue the greatest of apostles worked and said this is the example he gave us? Is your pastor greater than Paul to claim such importance? The real reason they don't work is because they don't want to and the whole pastor role has become a career path and not a calling. Pastoring is a gift, you do it because you care and the Lord has gifted you. If a guy is not pastoring or acting like a pastor before he gets a title and paycheck he was never called to pastor in the first place. You take a paycheck away from 80% of these so called pastors and I bet they would just disappear. That my friend is the very definition of a hireling.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Then why did Paul who many could argue the greatest of apostles worked and said this is the example he gave us? Is your pastor greater than Paul to claim such importance? The real reason they don't work is because they don't want to and the whole pastor role has become a career path and not a calling. Pastoring is a gift, you do it because you care and the Lord has gifted you. If a guy is not pastoring or acting like a pastor before he gets a title and paycheck he was never called to pastor in the first place. You take a paycheck away from 80% of these so called pastors and I bet they would just disappear. That my friend is the very definition of a hireling.
Pastoring is a gift and a calling, just like teaching, social work many other jobs. It can be a calling that you still make money doing. I can promise you if most pastors did it for the money they would not be doing it.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pastoring is a gift and a calling, just like teaching, social work many other jobs. It can be a calling that you still make money doing. I can promise you if most pastors did it for the money they would not be doing it.

Most pastors do it for money, that is a fact. I can count on my hand how many I know who do not get paid. So was a tent maker Paul's calling?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most pastors do it for money, that is a fact. I can count on my hand how many I know who do not get paid. So was a tent maker Paul's calling?
I did not say they did not get paid I said they did not do it for the money there is a BIG difference. If I do something for the money usually that mean there is a good bit to be made or either that I just need the benefits. In other words, there are PLENTY of other jobs they pay better than being a pastor, have better hours and probably a LOT less stress.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did not say they did not get paid I said they did not do it for the money there is a BIG difference. If I do something for the money usually that mean there is a good bit to be made or either that I just need the benefits. In other words, there are PLENTY of other jobs they pay better than being a pastor, have better hours and probably a LOT less stress.

I know what you said but I do not think you understand what I was saying. Anyhow. I think you are mistaken, many are doing it for the money. I also think you would be really surprised to find out what your pastor is actually making when you include his salary, housing allowance (which is a way to hide extra income), and other expense paid as his total package. A pastor of a small church of about 150 people that I know for a fact pulls down over 280k between him and his wife who just happens to be the the book keeper.

Also, I have given my scriptural support for the model of the working pastor which far out ways any "full-time" paid pastor notion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We had a pastor who stayed with us for 14 years - got 2 sabbaticals in the process. After leaving the pastorate he and his family went to live in Brazil for 2 years, where he taught missionaries' children. On their return to this country they came back to the church as members because they loved the church so much. He now helps on the media team. I don't think he's even a deacon now.

It was 4 years before we got another pastor, although one pastor did pastor the church for 1year. Our current pastor was at his previous church for 10 years, but has already been with us for 11 years. I'll be sorry when he accepts a call to go elsewhere.

Gillian

Reactions: Applekrate
Upvote 0

Applekrate

Site Supporter
Apr 2, 2017
Arizona
✟127,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We had a pastor who stayed with us for 14 years - got 2 sabbaticals in the process. After leaving the pastorate he and his family went to live in Brazil for 2 years, where he taught missionaries' children. On their return to this country they came back to the church as members because they loved the church so much. He now helps on the media team. I don't think he's even a deacon now.

It was 4 years before we got another pastor, although one pastor did pastor the church for 1year. Our current pastor was at his previous church for 10 years, but has already been with us for 11 years. I'll be sorry when he accepts a call to go elsewhere.

Gillian
thank you for the answer. so far, this is the closest response I have gotten pertaining to my question (though the others are valid too )

Still trying to get an idea of how long pastors stay at a given church. Looking for more replies ( as I get ready to go to Sunday school/service ) .

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Acts 18, acts 20, 1 Corinthians 9, 1 Thessalonians 2:9. There are actually others but there is an overwhelmingly abundance of scriptural support that Paul and others worked
Paul - yes. But he made it clear in 1 Cor and other places that he intentionally made it a special case and no one else need follow that example. In fact he argues against it.

• Agree
Reactions: HantsUK
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would like to hear from others on how long Pastors are staying at a certain church before moving on. Talking to others, it appears common for a Pastor to only be there for a few years yet others stay for a decade or more.
1 What are the reasons for a Pastor leaving his church and are they good reasons?
2 how long does, or should, a Pastor be at a given church?
3 it is my opinion that we should have Pastors in place for long periods of time. This shows stability.
Would like to hear from others on their thoughts.
We just lost the Pastor at our church and am not happy about it. He was a great Bible teacher and will miss him.
Seems to me that if a pastor is called to a church, then he ought to stay there until he's called somewhere else (including retirement). If, otoh, he's just doing it as a job, then he should stay as long as he's doing the job well (just like a secular position, ideally).

As for the other issue of whether a pastor should be paid, I say he should. I cannot fathom our senior pastor having a second job so that he can pay the bills. This man is in the Word all the time, preparing and delivering sermons, going to funerals, wedding, hospitals, etc. How would you feel if you were rushed to the hospital and the pastor never visited you because "he had to work". In large churches anyway, a pastor should be a full-time position and therefore be a paid position.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul - yes. But he made it clear in 1 Cor and other places that he intentionally made it a special case and no one else need follow that example. In fact he argues against it.

I am sorry but that is not what it says. He says this is the example I give you. He specifically was referencing working with his own hands and providing for himself. You asked for the reference chapter and verse and I gave it to you. Now you refuse to read it for what it says and cling to traditions that are not in scripture. That is up to you but it does not change what is clearly written multiple times.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me that if a pastor is called to a church, then he ought to stay there until he's called somewhere else (including retirement).

Show me where any pastor "retired" in the bible? Just the fact we think it is normal for a pastor to retire is a western mindset coming from culture and not from the bible. If someone is called to be a pastor they are a for life. Not until they hit an age and want to play golf. I would love to hear these pastors explaining retirement to the apostles that were martyred.

FYI- Pastors around where I live get paid for funerals and weddings. Generally it is 300 dollars. You should not have to get paid for a sermon anyhow. Like Jeremiah said it burns in my bones. A sermon should be as natural as breathing for any pastor. That is unless they go to sermonindex and plagiarize other people sermons...in that case they have a lot more free time eh....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Show me where any pastor "retired" in the bible? Just the fact we think it is normal for a pastor to retire is a western mindset coming from culture and not from the bible. If someone is called to be a pastor they are a for life. Not until they hit an age and want to play golf. I would love to hear these pastors explaining retirement to the apostles that were martyred.

FYI- Pastors around where I live get paid for funerals and weddings. Generally it is 300 dollars. You should not have to get paid for a sermon anyhow. Like Jeremiah said it burns in my bones. A sermon should be as natural as breathing for any pastor. That is unless they go to sermonindex and plagiarize other people sermons...in that case they have a lot more free time eh....
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, no one in the Bible retired. I guess they all kept working until they dropped.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, no one in the Bible retired. I guess they all kept working until they dropped.

Exactly, they gave their life's literally for the Lord and the gospel. Also, note that Paul states epistles along with James calling themselves bondservants. A bondservant gets no salary and is not "paid". Yet how many sermons have you heard about that? Not many I would guess just like you probably never heard a sermon about the hireling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You asked for the reference chapter and verse and I gave it to you.
I asked for chapter and verse on "the rest of the apostles." Not Paul.

I apologize if that was not clear.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,835.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
If you read it you would find other apostles in there. No apology needed, just earnest study :)
According to Paul, it was only Barnabas and himself who had to support themselves (v6). It would seem that the other Apostles did not need to support themselves. They even took their wives with them on their trips.

In 1 Cor 9, Paul makes it clear that the norm is that those in Christian ministry are paid, and do not have to support themselves (v7, v9, v14).

14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.​

There is room for both, just as in NT times.

Here (England), Baptist ministers/pastors receive a stipend, not a salary. A salary is paid for the duties performed. A stipend is paid to enable someone to serve without needing to spend time working in a paid job. Subtle difference.

2Timoth2:15's experience might be typical of America (I hope not), but is far from my, albeit limited, experience in England. Those pastors and ministers that I know serve from a strong sense of calling. It is not 'just a job'. But in reality, that should apply to all of us, whether we are in 'full time secular' employment, or 'full time Christian' work. Or a mixture.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,835.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
And in answer to the OP:

In my church, previous ministers served for 10 years and 20 years.

I don't know what is typical in the UK, but would expect it to be 7 - 10 years upwards. Occasionally things do not work out, and a minister may move much sooner. And the problems can be on either side.

Reactions: Applekrate
Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Paul, it was only Barnabas and himself who had to support themselves (v6). It would seem that the other Apostles did not need to support themselves. They even took their wives with them on their trips.

In 1 Cor 9, Paul makes it clear that the norm is that those in Christian ministry are paid, and do not have to support themselves (v7, v9, v14).

14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.​

There is room for both, just as in NT times.

Here (England), Baptist ministers/pastors receive a stipend, not a salary. A salary is paid for the duties performed. A stipend is paid to enable someone to serve without needing to spend time working in a paid job. Subtle difference.

2Timoth2:15's experience might be typical of America (I hope not), but is far from my, albeit limited, experience in England. Those pastors and ministers that I know serve from a strong sense of calling. It is not 'just a job'. But in reality, that should apply to all of us, whether we are in 'full time secular' employment, or 'full time Christian' work. Or a mixture.

1 Corinthians 9 in context is not endorsing a full time paid pastor. Also, we know that mark and luke were in the same city more than once with Paul and we know they were still alive. Yes, all the apostles worked.

1 Thessalonians 2King James Version (KJV)
2 For yourselves, brethren, know our entrance in unto you, that it was not in vain:

2 But even after that we had suffered before, and were shamefully entreated, as ye know, at Philippi, we were bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God with much contention.

3 For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile:

4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.

5 For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness:

(they did not take salaries) not just Paul

6 Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ.

7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:

8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.

9 For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God.

They all were working to provide for themselves labouring night and day. Why so they would not be chargeable to ANY of you - meaning no one owed them a salary nor did they expect it.

How is it that there is SO much evidence of this in scripture, not just Paul not charging but all the Apostles yet it is totally ignored by the hirelings today who simply want to justify their salaries.

10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:

1 Thessalonians 4

9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

10 And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more;

11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

Why is Paul telling them to work with their hands? Because this is the model, the model he is doing through example and what he expects. Why...verse 12 tells us.

12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.

Walking honestly = working and providing for yourself and others, just as Paul, Barnabas, Timothy, and Titus ALL did

2 Thessalonians 3

7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;

8 Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:

9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.

10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

There it is Paul was not just simply foregoing some false right to a salary he explains CLEARLY - all should work, including pastors.

Upvote 0