Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
A full time "job" sure... but does that mean a pastor must be "in a church building" all day long?

As a father, my primary job and it is more than a full time job is the protection and provision for my wife and children. This does not mean I am at home all day long, no I get a working job to pay the bills and put food on the table.

Look if you want to pay your preacher, then go for it. I merely state the Practice is not necessary because preachers can and should have jobs outside the church. Those who are on a churches payroll can very very easily fall prey to having to cater to the congregation. This compromises truth and churches die spiritually because they are no longer fed truth.

Picture this, a preacher is so dependent upon his church salary that he no longer speaks on topics that could upset his congregation because he needs the "job" and $$$. This is a disease and it must be cured. The easiest cure is to stop paying preachers. The funds a church takes in should be used for feeding the hungry, clothing the homeless, etc.
Eight years ago, our senior pastor left. We were running about 500 a Sunday. The youth pastor became the senior, and the education pastor his junior (titles we don't use anymore).

Anyway, they made a concerted effort to be more gospel-centered in their preaching and overall ministry. The church "grew" from 500 to 250. They are both still there serving in the same capacity.

And they are paid, lovingly, by the Congregation.

Reactions: Applekrate
Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eight years ago, our senior pastor left. We were running about 500 a Sunday. The youth pastor became the senior, and the education pastor his junior (titles we don't use anymore).

Anyway, they made a concerted effort to be more gospel-centered in their preaching and overall ministry. The church "grew" from 500 to 250. They are both still there serving in the same capacity.

And they are paid, lovingly, by the Congregation.

If a church went from 500 to 250 that is not growth that is shrinking. If you want to pay your pastor then fine but it is not in the bible "full time paid". Also don't be surprised when your pastor is compromised in his preaching and do not be surprised when he leaves for a better paying "job".

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If a church went from 500 to 250 that is not growth that is shrinking. If you want to pay your pastor then fine but it is not in the bible "full time paid". Also don't be surprised when your pastor is compromised in his preaching and do not be surprised when he leaves for a better paying "job".
All paid pastors leave for better pay? I don't think so.

But anyway, we should pay the shepherd. A worker is worth his wages.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All paid pastors leave for better pay? I don't think so.

But anyway, we should pay the shepherd. A worker is worth his wages.

Hmm my bible says when you pay the shepherd they become a hireling and are no longer a shepherd. A worker is worth is wages...go find that where it shows up in the bible and you will find that Paul was quoting Jesus verbatim and Jesus said it was food and drink, that is the wage. I know you have been programmed to believe it is money though.

Ironically enough you will be hard pressed to hear a proper heurmanutical breakdown of "a worker is worth his wages" from your pastor because then peoples eyes would be open and that would show truth. Furthermore I doubt you never heard a sermon on the hireling, more irony. But ask yourself why you have no idea what I am talking about and why you have never been taught that, the very words of Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I forgot. It is growth when the folks who left wanted their ears tickled.

Let me guess, this is what your pastor told you..lol. My guess is things were going on behind the scenes that you are not aware of. Things like pride and division. When the other pastor left, he planted seeds in many people drawing them away to his church or to another because his heart was not really for the people. Or, it could be that the youth pastor that took over people saw major issues with him and did not want to be part of it. Never the less when I do math, - 250 is not growth it is loss anyway you spin it.

At any rate it is a bold thing to say half of the church was ear ticklers. You are judging all their walks with the Lord and just calling them fakes which makes you the "true followers" and puts you in some pseudo elite class. This is a very dangerous mindset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hmm my bible says when you pay the shepherd they become a hireling and are no longer a shepherd. A worker is worth is wages...go find that where it shows up in the bible and you will find that Paul was quoting Jesus verbatim and Jesus said it was food and drink, that is the wage. I know you have been programmed to believe it is money though.

Ironically enough you will be hard pressed to hear a proper heurmanutical breakdown of "a worker is worth his wages" from your pastor because then peoples eyes would be open and that would show truth. Furthermore I doubt you never heard a sermon on the hireling, more irony. But ask yourself why you have no idea what I am talking about and why you have never been taught that, the very words of Jesus.
I know what you're talking about. Your interpretation is just wrong.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Let me guess, this is what your pastor told you..lol. My guess is things were going on behind the scenes that you are not aware of. Things like pride and division. When the other pastor left, he planted seeds in many people drawing them away to his church or to another because his heart was not really for the people. Or, it could be that the youth pastor that took over people saw major issues with him and did not want to be part of it. Never the less when I do math, - 250 is not growth it is loss anyway you spin it.

At any rate it is a bold thing to say half of the church was ear ticklers. You are judging all their walks with the Lord and just calling them fakes which makes you the "true followers" and puts you in some pseudo elite class. This is a very dangerous mindset.
And yet you judge me. Hmm.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know what you're talking about. Your interpretation is just wrong.

My interpretation is not my own. It is you that have the incorrect interpretation my friend. If you are going to say mine is wrong show me using the bible with solid huermanuetics and I will show you that Jesus said it first and established what the wage was in Luke when he sent the 70 out. Did you even bother to research or study what I was saying or just going off the hip?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
My interpretation is not my own. It is you that have the incorrect interpretation my friend. If you are going to say mine is wrong show me using the bible with solid huermanuetics and I will show you that Jesus said it first and established what the wage was in Luke when he sent the 70 out. Did you even bother to research or study what I was saying or just going off the hip?
Jesus wasn't talking about elders, to begin with. So, there is no reason to continue since you missed that one.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus wasn't talking about elders, to begin with. So, there is no reason to continue since you missed that one.

He was talking to the disciples who became the apostles. He was also establishing protocol wasn't he. And it was JESUS who said this, there is no higher authority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He was talking to the disciples who became the apostles. He was also establishing protocol wasn't he. And it was JESUS who said this, there is no higher authority.
The disciples became apostles. But the apostles didn't necessarily become elders. And even if they did, there's no support for disciplie equaling elder.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The disciples became apostles. But the apostles didn't necessarily become elders. And even if they did, there's no support for disciplie equaling elder.

What lol, that is a lot of fancy dancing to support your position. An apostle or pastor is an elder by definition. Come on bro.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What lol, that is a lot of fancy dancing to support your position. An apostle or pastor is an elder by definition. Come on bro.
Really? I look forward to your support.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know they are. But they aren't apostles, or Jesus' disciples during His earthly ministry.

The 70 sent out were Jesus disciples. Not all remained but the original disciples were indeed among them. Are you seriously saying the 70 sent out did not include the original disciples who indeed became Apostles? Jesus was giving them the model, this is why Paul quoted this in Timothy about a worker worth his wages. Paul was not there when Jesus said that, but obviously the disciples were who are the ones who shared this with Paul.

The Seventy Sent Out
10 After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also,a]">[a] and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 2 Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. 5 But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The 70 sent out were Jesus disciples. Not all remained but the original disciples were indeed among them. Are you seriously saying the 70 sent out did not include the original disciples who indeed became Apostles? Jesus was giving them the model, this is why Paul quoted this in Timothy about a worker worth his wages. Paul was not there when Jesus said that, but obviously the disciples were who are the ones who shared this with Paul.

The Seventy Sent Out
10 After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also,a]">[a] and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 2 Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. 5 But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages
I have not argued against this.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I only want to say this, if your church is happy with your pastor, fine. But there is nothing wrong with hearing from others.

I know a church I attended when I was a child. This "pastor" served at this church for almost 50 years. They never sought out another. Upon retiring, the renamed the church after him.

Now, the pastors sons are the pastor, and soon to be pastor, there.

That is entirely too long.

The Methodists here where I live have a policy that no pastor serves more than 4 years at any one church. I personally think this is a good idea.

I would list the problems I have been through with my church but I'm not going to go over that again.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0