How is God just?

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,157,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just retributive justice. Justice should be consistent and actions have consequences. There's no point in going deeper than that.

Well...I appreciate that you've clarified your reductionist approach to the subject of 'justice,' but I wasn't really asking for that. I was asking for you to cite your sources, as a student would do in high school or college when writing a paper. That way, we can see that you are indeed building upon a denotation of 'justice' that you didn't just make up your self.

Oh, well.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟58,495.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear JGG. You talk of two men, doing the same deed, one a Christian and one not a Christian. The Christian is a follower of Christ, the Non-Christian a man who committed a great sin. The Christian knows that he sinned greatly, and is ready to repent for this. What will he do? He keeps praying and asking God for forgiveness, and God sees his heart and knows that the sinner is ready to repent truly, and knows in his heart that he will try to NEVER commit another sin. He shows God in many ways: he keeps praying and changes into a New-Born person, ready to follow Jesus back to our Heavenly Father. He is turning into the son which God wants to be with for eternity.
The other man who is a Non-Christian, will find excuses to have committed this great sin, and believe that he has done right. He is not repentant and does not want Jesus.
I just talked of two men who committed the same crime, and the Law of the land will rightly punish them both. Jesus died for both men, but only one wanted the Love and Forgiveness which Jesus has for all of us.
I say this with love, JGG. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The bulk of this thread is due to you using a definition for just that is not the definition the Apostle Paul uses, and therefore, by extension, not the definition most Christians use. If I assume for the moment your definition for just, then you are correct in writing God is not just. Regardless, I choose to accept the definition for just from the same source that proclaims God to be just.

In essence, given your definition for the term "just", you are debating a premise most Christians do not assert as true. Assuming the Christian definition for the term "just", my guess is you wouldn't want to argue the point.

You see, the real disagreement is not regarding God being just, but is that Christians do not agree "Our concept of justice says that a person must account for their own sin."

Not the best written; I hope this helps nonetheless.

So you would agree witg a justice system where regardless of the crime they've committed a Christian should not be charged with, tried for, or found guilty of any crimes, while anyone else could?

If a Christian and will be forgiven for all sins, and non-Christians will be persecuted for any sin, how is sin even relevant?

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
No, your own personal belief on justice says that. JGG says a person must account for their own sin with no substitutions. God says that a perfect sacrifice may be killed to pay for one's sin, in place of themselves. He accepts that sacrifice as accounting for your sin. Society has varying views of justice, but they are not what's going to get us back to God.

Getting back to God is not in itself justice.

No, that's how you define it. Depending which society you're in over the world, justice can be dealt in different ways. Doesn't change the fact it is not God's justice. That's what matters when it comes to our sins against him. God lets the established governments rule with their laws, but when your life is over you're not going to face the US courts or whichever country you are from. You're going to face God himself.

So your claim is that our justice system has nothing to do with real justice? True justice would advocate that a certain class is always innocent of any crime.

You can keep spinning it however you want to. There is no condemnation in Jesus Christ. His death paid the price of sin once and for all. We are reconciled back to God and justified. God looks at us and sees us as innocent. The only way we are "special" compared to anyone else is that we chose to faithe in Christ as Lord.

That's not true. You have also claimed that Christians are special because they are more loving, have more integrity, make better lawyers and judges, are less greedy, less susceptible to evil, sin less, and are more humble. Oh wait, definitely not the last one, eh? So with all these claims of how Christians are better and non-Christians are worse, in what way are Christians not just better, superior human beings?

This is the second ignorant statement of the week. God does not give justice a different name, the terminology remains but the definition differs between man and God. Man may say an eye for an eye, but God allows a sacrifice to be made in place of the eye. That's justified whether you like it or not.

An eye for an eye is not justice, it's vengeance. It's not a matter whether I like it, it's whether we can explain why it is just. Can you explain how God is just without relying on "bevause God says He is?" I'm not the kind of person who simply accepts assertion, I need to understand, I need explanation. If we cannot rationalize how God is just then how can we claim that He is? Alternatively, if God is just and we can't explain why then we should not have a justice system. Afterall, if we are ignorant of justice, how can we ever try to enforce it? How can we claim a law to be just or unjust? How can we claim any action to be unjust? We can't.

A sin is first and foremost against God, and God is the ultimate Judge. He said "Vengeance is mine. I will repay." But it sounds like you would rather take things into your own hands then rely on God to repay. That's your choice buddy. The ironic part is by trying to take retribution into your own hands you are going to find yourself at the end of God's retribution. And it won't be pretty.

No. I'm asking a simple question: how is God just? If the only answer is "because I said so", then that's a non-explanation.

I agree with God's justice system where those who faithe in Jesus are not condemned to hell, but have salvation through Christ's blood. In this world, let the laws of the courts of this world judge them as they will. They can handle judgement in this life, God has the ultimate judgement in eternity.

Are laws that allow abortion handled? How about gay marriage? When blacks were slaves or segregated, were those laws, okay?

If a Christian is convicted of a crime, has justice been done?

If you are having trouble comprehending Jesus' sacrifice there is plenty of sources and information available on the internet, and in libraries. I already gave you my reasoning, if that's not enough for you then feel free to do some research, if the answer is that important to you.

It's enough to know that you believe what happens. Why it happens is incidental.

No. Justice on earth differs from justice for eternity.

Yes. That's my point. Except that justice cannot differ. So let's turn it around: if we are ignorant of justice, how can we create laws? How can we punish people when those laws are broken? We do these things in the name of justice, and you're saying we're all wrong.

God has allowed us to establish laws for this world. We follow those laws. In eternity God has the final judgement of our fate.

But how is it just?

No. I am saying Christians who faithe in Jesus for guidance instead of relying on their own sinful nature are not as susceptible to selfish or power hungry purposes like a non-believer would be.

Are Christians changed? Is a Christian better (superior) to his former self?

Either one can still fall to temptation, but at least the Christian may seek guidance from the Lord. It is always better to seek guidance from God first instead of doing everything with your own power and knowledge. Therefore Christians are not "superior", rather we rely on Jesus for guidance and wisdom, and in our own power we are no different than anyone else. As Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." You can too JGG. You have no less opportunities than Paul, it's just as available to you as it is to everyone else.

Really? Westboro Baptist Church ? What abour that pastor who says to beat the gay out if your children? Or all of Uganda?

No. If you honestly believe I am saying non-Christians cannot have integrity then I question your reasoning abilities. More likely you are twisting my words. The implication is not that non-Christians don't have integrity. The implication is that non-Christians, by rejecting God's greater guidance and wisdom, are more likely to leave integrity behind to pursue selfish desires.

Another word-twisting. Again, if you want to call Christians "superior" because they choose to faithe in Jesus and follow him, thus receiving salvation and reconciliation to God, that's your choice. I wouldn't call it superior at all, because it's an opportunity available to everyone. Jesus died for all our sins. I would say we made the wiser choice while anyone who turned away from God made a foolish choice, especially when you spend your whole life knowing about Jesus and his sacrifice, yet refusing to repent.

No, I'm saying that because they believe themselves superior. Not that they actually are.

Those who turn back to Christ and recognize Him as Lord and savior of all are not held accountable for their actions, because they are made righteous by Jesus, who paid the price for us. Those who rebel and hate Christ are held accountable, because they are evil and reject Christ's righteousness for their own. And what did God say about our righteousness? It's nothing but filthy rags.

Right. How is that justice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Well...I appreciate that you've clarified your reductionist approach to the subject of 'justice,' but I wasn't really asking for that. I was asking for you to cite your sources, as a student would do in high school or college when writing a paper. That way, we can see that you are indeed building upon a denotation of 'justice' that you didn't just make up your self.

Oh, well.

I'm guess I'm getting it from the lectures of Martin Sandoval.

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Getting back to God is not in itself justice.
One of the products of getting back to God is being justified to the Lord through Jesus.

That's not true. You have also claimed that Christians are special because they are more loving, have more integrity, make better lawyers and judges, are less greedy, less susceptible to evil, sin less, and are more humble. Oh wait, definitely not the last one, eh? So with all these claims of how Christians are better and non-Christians are worse, in what way are Christians not just better, superior human beings?

I never said Christians are more loving or have more integrity, nor are they less greedy, nor that they sin less (whether they sin less or not is irrelevant anyways as they will still sin, and all sin falls short of God's glory). What I said was that Christians may access God's word and allow themselves to be guided by that and by the Holy Spirit to use better judgement and therefore less likely or less susceptible to the temptations of the world and their own sinful nature. I also made it quite clear that any fruitful works we produce or wisdom we demonstrate are not done by our own power, but by the power of Christ. Therefore, we are not superior to non-Christians, rather Christ is superior to all.

You want to keep twisting my words and say I am calling Christians "superior", go right ahead. I will just keep calling you out.

An eye for an eye is not justice, it's vengeance. It's not a matter whether I like it, it's whether we can explain why it is just. Can you explain how God is just without relying on "because God says He is?" I'm not the kind of person who simply accepts assertion, I need to understand, I need explanation. If we cannot rationalize how God is just then how can we claim that He is? Alternatively, if God is just and we can't explain why then we should not have a justice system. Afterall, if we are ignorant of justice, how can we ever try to enforce it? How can we claim a law to be just or unjust? How can we claim any action to be unjust? We can't.

That is your personal definition of vengeance. Many people around the world would disagree with you and say that an eye for an eye is in fact justice. It absolutely is a matter of whether you like it or not, because that's what God has stated and God is Lord of all. I already gave my explanation, if that's not enough for you then do your own research into this. There is plenty available on the internet and in libraries. But it does come down to whether you like it or not. Because once you have an explanation you can understand, you will either like it and accept it, or you won't like it and refuse to accept it. That's how everything is with man and God. Understanding is always available to those who seek it out.

No. I'm asking a simple question: how is God just? If the only answer is "because I said so", then that's a non-explanation.

Research it yourself then. Seek other sources. Or you can stop with what I said and continue to live without understanding. God favors those who seek him out diligently.

Are laws that allow abortion handled? How about gay marriage? When blacks were slaves or segregated, were those laws, okay

God judges us for our sins. All of it falls short of his glory. All of it was paid by Jesus' blood, and He justifies us back to God.

If a Christian is convicted of a crime, has justice been done?

Depends what you mean by crime. A Christian convicted by the courts for a crime they committed has been justly convicted. No Christian is convicted by God, because they are made blameless by Christ's blood. To convict them for their sin would be unjust, because Jesus died to pay that price for them. It's an affront to God to claim anybody who faithes in Christ should be judged for their sins. For that very reason Satan was cast out of heaven after Jesus' resurrection, and he can no longer stand before God and accuse us like he used to.

It's enough to know that you believe what happens. Why it happens is incidental.

That's the third ignorant statement of the week and it demonstrates your stubbornness. It also demonstrates your willful ignorance, because you are not even interested in understanding. You've already made up your mind that there is no way you are going to accept Christ's sacrifice as justifying us back to God regardless of the explanation given. But like it or not, that's how it is, and that's what you'll have to face if you don't wise up and turn to Jesus.

Yes. That's my point. Except that justice cannot differ. So let's turn it around: if we are ignorant of justice, how can we create laws? How can we punish people when those laws are broken? We do these things in the name of justice, and you're saying we're all wrong.

Justice absolutely can differ, because they are dealing with two different perspectives and hierarchies. Worldly justice concerns with our life on earth. God's eternal justice concerns our eternal fate. Someone may live a law-abiding life on earth, but to God they have committed sins and never faithed in Jesus. They will be put to justice for that. Conversely, somebody may commit crimes in this world and be sentenced to death. But if they faithe in Jesus, their *sins* are covered by Christ's sacrifice and be made blameless before God. They justly enter the kingdom of heaven.

Are Christians changed? Is a Christian better (superior) to his former self?

Yes, Jesus works in our hearts to continuously improve us into the person he wants us to be. But it is only by the power of Jesus, and nothing can be improved on our own. We cannot brag of anything ourselves, we thank Christ for what he has done for us.

Really? Westboro Baptist Church ? What abour that pastor who says to beat the gay out if your children? Or all of Uganda

Those examples prove my point that Christians can still fall back into sin. The Bible states this, this isn't anything new. Men of God have made thousands of mistakes, it's all over Scripture. Doesn't change the fact that they still faithed in the Lord and that's what got them favor with God. All of mankind falls short of God. He is looking for those who recognize this and recognize that they need the Lord in their lives.

No, I'm saying that because they believe themselves superior. Not that they actually are.

Semantics. Either way my statement stands.

Right. How is that justice?

It's justice because Jesus' blood pays for our sins. Jesus, as a sinless man, willingly offering himself as a perfect sacrifice in our place, is counted by God as payment for our sins. Like if we are charged a fine in court so high that we could never pay, then Jesus offers to pay it for us, because he's the only one who can. God accepts it, in fact he wants it because he loves us and doesn't want us to suffer. But justice must be paid and if Jesus does not pay for our sins because we reject him, then we will pay.

For anyone to insist that we alone must pay the fine and nobody is allowed to pay it for us is evil. Think about that, if a person can't pay the fine, the punishment for that is death (hell). Here is Jesus, who can pay the fine and willingly did for us, so that our charge is fulfilled and we can walk free (eternal life). Only a person with evil in their heart would wish that the one charged with the fine cannot allow anyone to pay it for them, thus being irrevocably condemned to death (hell). Basically to call God's plan unjust is to wish for all of mankind including yourself to suffer eternal damnation. To wish that is evil, no way around it. There is no sound reason in the world to argue that Jesus is wrong for both being *allowed* to pay the fine, and for *willingly offering* to pay the fine. Because this is the happy ending outcome. The fine is paid (justice), and we get to walk free (everlasting life). Hallelujah.

Upvote 0

lt11

May 31, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Christian
JGG said:
Getting back to God is not in itself justice. So your claim is that our justice system has nothing to do with real justice? True justice would advocate that a certain class is always innocent of any crime. That's not true. You have also claimed that Christians are special because they are more loving, have more integrity, make better lawyers and judges, are less greedy, less susceptible to evil, sin less, and are more humble. Oh wait, definitely not the last one, eh? So with all these claims of how Christians are better and non-Christians are worse, in what way are Christians not just better, superior human beings? An eye for an eye is not justice, it's vengeance. It's not a matter whether I like it, it's whether we can explain why it is just. Can you explain how God is just without relying on "bevause God says He is?" I'm not the kind of person who simply accepts assertion, I need to understand, I need explanation. If we cannot rationalize how God is just then how can we claim that He is? Alternatively, if God is just and we can't explain why then we should not have a justice system. Afterall, if we are ignorant of justice, how can we ever try to enforce it? How can we claim a law to be just or unjust? How can we claim any action to be unjust? We can't. No. I'm asking a simple question: how is God just? If the only answer is "because I said so", then that's a non-explanation. Are laws that allow abortion handled? How about gay marriage? When blacks were slaves or segregated, were those laws, okay? If a Christian is convicted of a crime, has justice been done? It's enough to know that you believe what happens. Why it happens is incidental. Yes. That's my point. Except that justice cannot differ. So let's turn it around: if we are ignorant of justice, how can we create laws? How can we punish people when those laws are broken? We do these things in the name of justice, and you're saying we're all wrong. But how is it just? Are Christians changed? Is a Christian better (superior) to his former self? Really? Westboro Baptist Church ? What abour that pastor who says to beat the gay out if your children? Or all of Uganda? No, I'm saying that because they believe themselves superior. Not that they actually are. Right. How is that justice?
I think God would be justified in sending us all away from his presence eternally and I think he was fair in offering us a way to be restored for all eternity the only thing is you have to decided whether to take that fair offer. We all stand condemned and we can all decide whether we want to follow Jesus

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lt11

May 31, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Christian
alexiscurious said:
If I recall correctly, Job asked God a similar question as to why the wicked prosper and the good suffer if God is so just. See if you can find God's answer. Never mind, he never answered it.
God did speak to Job he asked him questions about the things that he created he was reminding Job of his immense power and sovereignty. You see whether you like it or not we are speaking about the creator now look at this world who are we compared to the one who created it and he still is mindful of us enough to come here to suffer the most horrendous death of those days so that he can restore those whom he knew would accept it.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alex is thinking really well and I like the potential I see there.

I did not count, but it seems like you have tried four times to obtain a definition and reason for why Christians believe God is just. This seems like the first most important understanding to establish, but the Christians who are addressing you have jumped in to assumption that He is just, and subsequent argument to convince you it is so. Yet, not one verse has been given (except Alex') to show any biblical context for it.

I wonder JGG, because you had an idea in mind when you started this thread, would you be willing to describe for me what your understanding of God's justice is, as Christ Jesus will have you know, and why you think this should be questioned?

It just seems to me that everyone has cocked their guns and no facts have been established. Not a good way to get resolution, and I know you usually suffer this way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lt11

May 31, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Christian
oi_antz said:
Alex is thinking really well and I like the potential I see there. I did not count, but it seems like you have tried four times to obtain a definition and reason for why Christians believe God is just. This seems like the first most important understanding to establish, but the Christians who are addressing you have jumped in to assumption that He is just, and subsequent argument to convince you it is so. Yet, not one verse has been given (except Alex') to show any biblical context for it. I wonder JGG, because you had an idea in mind when you started this thread, would you be willing to describe for me what your understanding of God's justice is, as Christ Jesus will have you know, and why you think this should be questioned? It just seems to me that everyone has cocked their guns and no facts have been established. Not a good way to get resolution, and I know you usually suffer this way.
I am so glad you posted this it was a bit of an eye opener for me I let myself post without even thinking especially in regards to Alex and his post I am reading back over Job right now. Definitely jumped the gun there.

Upvote 0

lt11

May 31, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Christian
oi_antz said:
Alex is thinking really well and I like the potential I see there. I did not count, but it seems like you have tried four times to obtain a definition and reason for why Christians believe God is just. This seems like the first most important understanding to establish, but the Christians who are addressing you have jumped in to assumption that He is just, and subsequent argument to convince you it is so. Yet, not one verse has been given (except Alex') to show any biblical context for it. I wonder JGG, because you had an idea in mind when you started this thread, would you be willing to describe for me what your understanding of God's justice is, as Christ Jesus will have you know, and why you think this should be questioned? It just seems to me that everyone has cocked their guns and no facts have been established. Not a good way to get resolution, and I know you usually suffer this way.
I have to admit I posted that when I was a little frustrated and didn't even read over Job and the last time I read Job was years ago and if I'm being honest I only scanned it really so I had no right to comment

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am so glad you posted this it was a bit of an eye opener for me I let myself post without even thinking especially in regards to Alex and his post I am reading back over Job right now. Definitely jumped the gun there.
Good man :thumbsup: These people want to understand us, and it is right to grant that. Whether it is attractive, not necessarily our fault or theirs.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have to admit I posted that when I was a little frustrated and didn't even read over Job and the last time I read Job was years ago and if I'm being honest I only scanned it really so I had no right to comment

Enthusiasm vs precision. Only one of these is always best. You care, which is good, and you care for the right thing :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you would agree with a justice system where regardless of the crime they've committed a Christian should not be charged with, tried for, or found guilty of any crimes, while anyone else could?
On earth, no. I assume you are not speaking of earthly justice systems. So let's set that aside; it's a whole different debate.

But in heaven, where acts of evil are against God and God alone, yes. (BTW, no amount of earthy justice mitigates anyone's guilt before God.) Is it not up to the person sinned against to decide upon pardon? If you stole my money, wouldn't it be my place to offer you pardon?
If a Christian will be forgiven for all sins, and non-Christians will be persecuted for any sin, how is sin even relevant?
For you, at this time, the sacrifice of Christ doesn't probably add any relevance to sin. But for a person redeemed and reconciled to God through that sacrifice, it means everything and adds immeasurable relevance to their sin, the damage it did, and the cost for undoing the damage. I do not expect you to understand what it is to have a growing realization of how great your offences are against God, a growing realization of how much you deserve punishment, a growing joy in knowing the offences have been pardoned, and a growing sorrow in knowing how much your pardon cost. I, on the other hand, know. I know why it is called good news.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Alex is thinking really well and I like the potential I see there.

I did not count, but it seems like you have tried four times to obtain a definition and reason for why Christians believe God is just. This seems like the first most important understanding to establish, but the Christians who are addressing you have jumped in to assumption that He is just, and subsequent argument to convince you it is so. Yet, not one verse has been given (except Alex') to show any biblical context for it.

I wonder JGG, because you had an idea in mind when you started this thread, would you be willing to describe for me what your understanding of God's justice is, as Christ Jesus will have you know, and why you think this should be questioned?

Well, I seem to remember a passage in one of the Thessalonians where it is said that God is just as he will deliver trouble to anyone who harms you. In Jeremiah it says He searches your heart and gives every man according to his ways and fruit. In these two passages I would say that I am on the same page as God, this part fits with what I, and what we, understand as justice. God ensures that those who do wrong will have to face the consequences.

But, then we have thrown in that this is only true of non-Christians. If it is a Christian who causes you trouble, then there is no justice. Christians get a free ride. If it is a Christian whose heart He is searching, then he doesn't give according to their ways and fruit, in fact, he just has to show his I'm-a-Christian-card, and he walks on.

EDIT: Found them:

Jer 17:10 - I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.

Col 3:25 - For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and that without partiality.

It just seems to me that everyone has cocked their guns and no facts have been established. Not a good way to get resolution, and I know you usually suffer this way.

It's not that I suffer this way. Who am I to question "because I said so"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
One of the products of getting back to God is being justified to the Lord through Jesus.

I don't even know what this means. There's too much confusion to those words.

I never said Christians are more loving or have more integrity, nor are they less greedy, nor that they sin less (whether they sin less or not is irrelevant anyways as they will still sin, and all sin falls short of God's glory). What I said was that Christians may access God's word and allow themselves to be guided by that and by the Holy Spirit to use better judgement and therefore less likely or less susceptible to the temptations of the world and their own sinful nature. I also made it quite clear that any fruitful works we produce or wisdom we demonstrate are not done by our own power, but by the power of Christ. Therefore, we are not superior to non-Christians, rather Christ is superior to all.

I don't see the difference. Whether you believe you are superior because you are superior, or whether you believe you are superior because Jesus makes you superior, the end result is the same.

You want to keep twisting my words and say I am calling Christians "superior", go right ahead. I will just keep calling you out.

Fair enough, just try it without essentially following up "Christians aren't superior" with your explanation of how they actually are. "Listen, I'm not racist, but..."

That is your personal definition of vengeance. Many people around the world would disagree with you and say that an eye for an eye is in fact justice.

I don't think that's necessarily true. But, you and I agree that eye for an eye isn't justice, and those who believe in eye for an eye agree with me that justice means actions should have consequences.

It absolutely is a matter of whether you like it or not, because that's what God has stated and God is Lord of all. I already gave my explanation, if that's not enough for you then do your own research into this. There is plenty available on the internet and in libraries. But it does come down to whether you like it or not. Because once you have an explanation you can understand, you will either like it and accept it, or you won't like it and refuse to accept it. That's how everything is with man and God. Understanding is always available to those who seek it out.

Research it yourself then. Seek other sources. Or you can stop with what I said and continue to live without understanding. God favors those who seek him out diligently.

God judges us for our sins.

God judges none of us. Those who are non-Christian are damned before they are judged. Those who are Christian are forgiven before they are judged.

All of it falls short of his glory. All of it was paid by Jesus' blood, and He justifies us back to God.

Depends what you mean by crime. A Christian convicted by the courts for a crime they committed has been justly convicted.

But you're advocating a different justice.

No Christian is convicted by God, because they are made blameless by Christ's blood. To convict them for their sin would be unjust, because Jesus died to pay that price for them. It's an affront to God to claim anybody who faithes in Christ should be judged for their sins. For that very reason Satan was cast out of heaven after Jesus' resurrection, and he can no longer stand before God and accuse us like he used to.

I understanding that you're saying that God is merciful to Christians because they're Christians. But mercy contradicts justice.

That's the third ignorant statement of the week and it demonstrates your stubbornness. It also demonstrates your willful ignorance, because you are not even interested in understanding. You've already made up your mind that there is no way you are going to accept Christ's sacrifice as justifying us back to God regardless of the explanation given. But like it or not, that's how it is, and that's what you'll have to face if you don't wise up and turn to Jesus.

So you keep saying, but Christ's sacrifice really has no part in the discussion. If Jesus won your sins by flipping a switch or pressing a button, my question would still be the same. It's not how it was done, or the mechanism of it, but that by ensuring that you do not have to face the consequences of your action, justice is not one. Jesus' sacrifice really is an aside.

Justice absolutely can differ, because they are dealing with two different perspectives and hierarchies.

Not it can't differ. That's the idea behind it. It doesn't change for some people.

Worldly justice concerns with our life on earth. God's eternal justice concerns our eternal fate. Someone may live a law-abiding life on earth, but to God they have committed sins and never faithed in Jesus. They will be put to justice for that. Conversely, somebody may commit crimes in this world and be sentenced to death. But if they faithe in Jesus, their *sins* are covered by Christ's sacrifice and be made blameless before God. They justly enter the kingdom of heaven.

Can you show me where God says that is justice?

Yes, Jesus works in our hearts to continuously improve us into the person he wants us to be. But it is only by the power of Jesus, and nothing can be improved on our own. We cannot brag of anything ourselves, we thank Christ for what he has done for us.

Those examples prove my point that Christians can still fall back into sin. The Bible states this, this isn't anything new. Men of God have made thousands of mistakes, it's all over Scripture. Doesn't change the fact that they still faithed in the Lord and that's what got them favor with God. All of mankind falls short of God. He is looking for those who recognize this and recognize that they need the Lord in their lives.

But they are Christian and therefore receiving guidance from God. So why is God guiding them this way?

Semantics. Either way my statement stands.

It's justice because Jesus' blood pays for our sins. Jesus, as a sinless man, willingly offering himself as a perfect sacrifice in our place, is counted by God as payment for our sins. Like if we are charged a fine in court so high that we could never pay, then Jesus offers to pay it for us, because he's the only one who can. God accepts it, in fact he wants it because he loves us and doesn't want us to suffer. But justice must be paid and if Jesus does not pay for our sins because we reject him, then we will pay.

Why is that justice?

For anyone to insist that we alone must pay the fine and nobody is allowed to pay it for us is evil. Think about that, if a person can't pay the fine, the punishment for that is death (hell). Here is Jesus, who can pay the fine and willingly did for us, so that our charge is fulfilled and we can walk free (eternal life). Only a person with evil in their heart would wish that the one charged with the fine cannot allow anyone to pay it for them, thus being irrevocably condemned to death (hell). Basically to call God's plan unjust is to wish for all of mankind including yourself to suffer eternal damnation. To wish that is evil, no way around it. There is no sound reason in the world to argue that Jesus is wrong for both being *allowed* to pay the fine, and for *willingly offering* to pay the fine. Because this is the happy ending outcome. The fine is paid (justice), and we get to walk free (everlasting life). Hallelujah.

Ah yes, questioning me when I speak for God is evil.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,157,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JGG

Well, I seem to remember a passage in one of the Thessalonians where it is said that God is just as he will deliver trouble to anyone who harms you. In Jeremiah it says He searches your heart and gives every man according to his ways and fruit. In these two passages I would say that I am on the same page as God, this part fits with what I, and what we, understand as justice. God ensures that those who do wrong will have to face the consequences.

But, then we have thrown in that this is only true of non-Christians. If it is a Christian who causes you trouble, then there is no justice. Christians get a free ride. If it is a Christian whose heart He is searching, then he doesn't give according to their ways and fruit, in fact, he just has to show his I'm-a-Christian-card, and he walks on.

Okay, JGG. How do you fit 1 Corinthians 11:17-34 into your framework here?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,157,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have not fit it in. How should I?

:doh:JGG...did you read the passage I mentioned? If so, what consequences does Paul warn the Corinthians about? Does this passage imply that Christians get a 'free-ticket' if they sin?

Upvote 0