How is eternal life comforting?

B

Bible2

Eternity is a really long time, it would probably take me about 100-200 years before I started to get really bored.

In eternity, there will be no boredom for Christians, for, as has been pointed out, "in thy [God's] presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore" (Psalms 16:11).

God's plan is to eventually create a new earth and come down out of heaven and live with us forever on the new earth: "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away" (Revelation 21:1-4).

But we won't be restricted to the new earth insofar as having to remain there in order to remain in the bliss of God's presence, for he is omnipresent: "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?" (Psalms 139:7).

Jesus says that he will also give Christians "the morning star" (Revelation 2:28), which is the second planet from the sun. So Christians could be given the option of going there and terraforming it for God until it's like the Garden of Eden. Then Christians could move on to the fourth planet from the sun and do the same thing there.

Eventually it would just become this mind numbing cycle of dull uniformity before you eventually descend into madness.

There need be no numbing uniformity in such a vast universe as ours, with some 100 billion different galaxies each containing some 100 billion different stars. There could be trillions of different already-inhabited planets out there which we could travel to and live on during eternity, experiencing a practically infinite variety of life-forms and pastimes.

And who's to say that our universe has to be the only universe? God could have created an infinite number of different universes. So even after we have experienced all the variety of this vast universe (and helped to even increase its variety by terraforming for God now-desolate planets in other star-systems and populating them with brand new species of plants and animals never seen before, which we have designed from our own imaginations), we will then have all the rest of eternity to experience and increase the variety of all the rest of the universes, always in the bliss of the presence of God.

"In thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore" (Psalms 16:11).

I prefer sweet oblivion.

Oblivion is not an option. Either one becomes a Christian and eventually experiences pleasures for evermore, or one remains a non-Christian and eventually experiences torment for evermore: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels ... And these shall go away into everlasting punishment" (Matthew 25:41,46). "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever" (Revelation 20:10). "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire" (Revelation 20:15). "And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night" (Revelation 14:11).

Upvote 0

knowledgeable

Seeking Enlightenment
Nov 10, 2009
Australia
Visit site
✟15,143.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I can understand superficially why it would be nice to believe that you live forever after you die, but when you really think about it. Eternity is a really long time, it would probably take me about 100-200 years before I started to get really bored.
You'd do everything you wanted to until you got bored, then everything you didn't want to do, just to have something to do. Eventually it would just become this mind numbing cycle of dull uniformity before you eventually descend into madness.

I prefer sweet oblivion.

[edit] probably shouldn't have posted this right before bed. See you in the morning guys.

People have a fear of death, and with eternal life, comes the abolishment of death. Therefore, people wish for eternal life (because they're afraid of death). Many other people would perhaps enjoy this luxury because they'd have lifetimes to conquer their dreams and aspirations - there won't be any need for the term 'Life's too short to waste'.
As I was saying earlier, avoiding death is the main thing. People aren't likely to be ready for death, and very few people have the option to prepare for it. Eternal life would have its cons - perhaps one would like to experience death to better understand the universe, but that's up to the person and their personal intentions.

Upvote 0

spidergains

Aug 23, 2008
✟922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Revelation21:1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

There is a movie called, "What Dreams May Come, " starring Robin Williams. Though I won't vouch for its theology, it does open the mind to the limitless possibilities available to those made in the image of God, our creator.
What Dreams May Come (1998)

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟174,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I can understand superficially why it would be nice to believe that you live forever after you die, but when you really think about it. Eternity is a really long time, it would probably take me about 100-200 years before I started to get really bored.
You'd do everything you wanted to until you got bored, then everything you didn't want to do, just to have something to do. Eventually it would just become this mind numbing cycle of dull uniformity before you eventually descend into madness.

I prefer sweet oblivion.

[edit] probably shouldn't have posted this right before bed. See you in the morning guys.

The Kingdom of Heaven is Christ, not a location. God is both the light of heaven and the lake of fire- everyone will experience God's eternal love whether they want it or not, whether they chose to participate in the struggle/journey of living a life in Christ or rejected it. Communion with God for eternity is hard to fathom, however, to think that it will be like a more boring version of the mundane except with fluffy clouds, halos, and wings isn't what it is about.

It is very difficult to explain to someone who has never participated in the Kingdom of heaven. Time is meaningless. We lay aside all earthly cares and Christ is in our midst. There's nothing to miss- anything outside of that is death.

Upvote 0

Wedjat

Spirited Apostate
Aug 8, 2009
Home sweet home
✟18,807.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm seeing lots of assurances that I will indeed like eternal life with god... unless I happen to be burning in eternal hellfire.

I'm wanting to know where these assurances come from? The Bible is just a book, whether you believe it's truth or not no one here has experienced death, so how are you so sure?
It's also interesting how you guys have different interpretations of what heaven and hell are.

Drich, it wouldn't be oblivion if I was conscious.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟174,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm seeing lots of assurances that I will indeed like eternal life with god... unless I happen to be burning in eternal hellfire.

I'm wanting to know where these assurances come from? The Bible is just a book, whether you believe it's truth or not no one here has experienced death, so how are you so sure?
It's also interesting how you guys have different interpretations of what heaven and hell are.

Drich, it wouldn't be oblivion if I was conscious.

Wedjat: If one is living a life in Christ, we know that if we persevere and endure to the end, we will be saved. I can speak for no one else, but as an Orthodox Christian, every time the Church gathers for Divine Liturgy we are participating in the Kingdom of Heaven. It isn't some far out there concept. It is mystical and very real.

Re: heaven/hell
God is Love and His presence is like fire. How one endures this fire has everything to do with how they were tempered in this life, just like the three righteous youths in the fiery furnace were able to joyfully walk around unharmed in the fire, so did others who didn't love God perish just being near the fire. The fire didn't change.

Here is a quote from an old Wikipedia article on the topic (that doesn’t seem to be around anymore) that I thought explained it pretty well: "For many ancient Christians, Hell was the same "place" as Heaven: living in the presence of God and directly experiencing God's love. Whether this was experienced as pleasure or torment depended on one's disposition towards God. St. Isaac of Syria wrote in Mystic Treatises: "... those who find themselves in Hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! For those who understand that they have sinned against love, undergo greater suffering than those produced by the most fearful tortures. The sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain. It is not right to say that the sinners in Hell are deprived of the love of God ... But love acts in two ways, as suffering of the reproved, and as joy in the blessed!" This ancient view is still the doctrine of the Eastern Orthodox Church."

Yes, our Holy Scriptures are important to us- but they presuppose the faith of the reader and they are an integral part of Holy Tradition. We had the Church before we had the NT- and we continue with the faith that was traditioned.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If your looking for assurances, then your wanting a reason to avoid Hell.. If Heaven is your target simply because you want to avoid Hell then your missing what all of this is about anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wedjat

Spirited Apostate
Aug 8, 2009
Home sweet home
✟18,807.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You're arguing my word choice Drich. I'm not looking for assurances, I'm just wondering how people find the idea of any afterlife comforting. I don't want a reason to avoid hell, I don't believe in it. I don't have heaven as a target because a) I don't want it, and b) I don't believe in it.
And you and I are using different definitions of oblivion. Oblivion literally means forgotten. I'm talking about absolute absence, total annihilation, permanently ceasing to exist. None of that would be if I were still there to experience it.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm just wondering how people find the idea of any afterlife comforting.

Did you find what you are looking for?

I don't want a reason to avoid hell, I don't believe in it. I don't have heaven as a target because a) I don't want it, and b) I don't believe in it.

I think you see an argument because your looking for one. If this is how you feel then obviously my words are not for you. Never the less for those who seek Heaven, (or the comfort of an after life) there is scripturally backed truth to what I have said. You don't think your the only one who reads what i write in my posts to you, do you?

And you and I are using different definitions of oblivion. Oblivion literally means forgotten. I'm talking about absolute absence, total annihilation, permanently ceasing to exist. None of that would be if I were still there to experience it.

Again take or leave what I write. If a scriptural definition of the word is not what you are looking for then simply don't acknowledge it. If you feel there is nothingness awaiting you after you die, then what does it matter what some old book says?

But on a more argumentative note:) Just because you will be forgotten, it doesn't mean you will cease to exist.. Just because I forgot what I did with my keys doesn't mean they disappeared from this plane of existence, even if I believe it with all my heart.

I believe the issue here was you were looking at your entrance into oblivion from a first person perspective, when in fact I believe being a resident of oblivion means you are one who will be eventually forgotten by those who will still be apart of creation. again it doesn't mean you disappear from the plane of existence, it just means those who remain will not spend an eternity lamenting and grieving those who chose not to be apart of an after life.

(Seriously, just trying to clarify..)

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

Wedjat:

Christians are sure that what the Bible says is true because God has given them his miraculous gift of faith: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8). "Ye believed, even as the Lord gave" (1 Corinthians 3:5). "Therefore said I [Jesus] unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father" (John 6:65).

The way that Christians received the gift of faith was by, with humility, reading (or hearing) what God says in the Bible: "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17). "While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts" (Hebrews 3:15).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
F

freeport

I prefer sweet oblivion.

Eternal life is a state of being. It happens at the resurrection.

It is something people taste now, at the resurrection of the dead... they inherit it as they become new creatures in the rapture.

As Jesus said, "In the age to come, eternal life".

Death is two fold. There is the living death most think is "being alive". But, it is being a slave.

When the resurrection happens, they are awakened into this.

We are never in the future, but we taste the future.

That taste is the promise of the absolute assurance of eternal life.

It is that one's life is so meaningful through the one thing that makes life meaningful - love - that one discovers one can never truly die.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I answered your question in my opening post.

Our concept of time is relative to our current knowledge of it. Eternity is existence without the boundaries of time. When you find someone that you truly Love, you will share a few fleeting moments where time seems to stand still or you will find yourself in a moment where you wish you could savor or live in that moment forever.

Eternity with God is that moment. It is a perpetual existence with someone that you love with all of your Heart, mind, spirit and strength.

Eternal life shouldn't be a crutch or an alternative to Hell, but a home coming. If you could capture the day a soldier coming home from an extended deployment to a loving family for eternity, that would give you the very basic Idea of why we want eternal life..

To sum it up: It's love for God. Eternal life is not the prize, God is.

Upvote 0

Joveia

Christian
Feb 3, 2004
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Visit site
✟15,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are some aspects to eternal life I find hard to understand. I get bored and I can't imagine how an eternity with God in heaven cannot get boring if people are like what they are now.

But something that comforts me is that one of the disadvantages of sin is not just spiritual death (being disconnected from God) but also discontent and not being truly fulfilled and happy. Just like sin causes people to become separated from God, so when they are alive it also causes people to 'lack' something in their lives and not be truly content. So a disadvantage of sin is actually that I can't even imagine how great heaven will be! I find this analysis of the issue comforting.

The happiness of heaven will be the happiness of someone who is not dying spiritually, and I have never experienced such a state of existence, like any sinner. So this solves the 'boredom' problem for me, even though it's very mysterious as to what exactly 'heavenly' happiness involves.

Upvote 0