How is Easter on 3/27/16 before Passover 4/22/16???

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The egg hunt, according to Wikipedia at least, likely began with the Reformation, the egg was used to symbolize the empty tomb and the men would hide the eggs, women and children would search for them to recreate the women in the Gospel story discovering the empty tomb.

The painting of eggs is an ancient Christian custom that began in the East, Paschal eggs are traditionally dyed red. The tradition has its origins in a legend about St. Mary Magdalene. When the Apostle-to-the-Apostles was in Caesar's court, the emperor upon hearing of Christ's resurrection scoffed at the idea, and took an egg from the table declaring, "Your Christ no more rose from the dead than this egg could turn red" at which the egg became blood red. This legend has been the basis for egg dyeing for centuries, it spread from the East and eventually made it to the West.

Neither egg hunts nor egg dyeing are critical components of the Paschal Feast, they are extraneous traditions that are largely seen as fun children's activities and could be important teaching tools if used that way. The Feast of Pascha is not made or broken by such things, it is the liturgical celebration of Christ's resurrection that makes the Feast.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
You shouldn't worry about it. They are of a different religion from OO/EO and RC/P.

Canon VII of Second Ecumenical Council
Arians, and Macedonians, and Sabbatians, and Novatians, who call themselves Cathari or Aristori, and Quarto-decimans or Tetradites, and Apollinarians, we receive, upon their giving a written renunciation [of their errors] and anathematize every heresy which is not in accordance with the Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church of God.

We now rebaptize Arians, interestingly.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any church is free to celebrate Easter any day they choose. The most widely recognized date for Easter this year 3/27/16. Celebrating Christ's resurrection that day is not a pagan thing. Easter bunnies and egg hunts are reminders of new life in springtime, and they can be linked to new life in Christ. People who criticize Easter celebrations are falling into the trap of making man-made regulations above and beyond our freedom in Christ.

Easter Bunnies and EGG hunts have ZERO to do with Christ. The fact that Christianity has allowed an Egg Laying rabbit into the remembrance of their messiah shows have far we are falling form what God commanded in not doing the same things the pagans did to worship their god and worship him in the same exact manner. God calls that an abomination.

Easter celebrations should be about Christ and Christ only. You dont see Jews that believe in the Messiah holding easter egg hunts at their churches/synagogues during Passover and unleavened bread

Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The egg hunt, according to Wikipedia at least, likely began with the Reformation, the egg was used to symbolize the empty tomb and the men would hide the eggs, women and children would search for them to recreate the women in the Gospel story discovering the empty tomb.

The painting of eggs is an ancient Christian custom that began in the East, Paschal eggs are traditionally dyed red. The tradition has its origins in a legend about St. Mary Magdalene. When the Apostle-to-the-Apostles was in Caesar's court, the emperor upon hearing of Christ's resurrection scoffed at the idea, and took an egg from the table declaring, "Your Christ no more rose from the dead than this egg could turn red" at which the egg became blood red. This legend has been the basis for egg dyeing for centuries, it spread from the East and eventually made it to the West.

Neither egg hunts nor egg dyeing are critical components of the Paschal Feast, they are extraneous traditions that are largely seen as fun children's activities and could be important teaching tools if used that way. The Feast of Pascha is not made or broken by such things, it is the liturgical celebration of Christ's resurrection that makes the Feast.

-CryptoLutheran

Go look up the REAL history as to how Easter Bunny and Easter Eggs came about and you will change your opinion. There are far too many RCC websites that post how they think it came about and just spreading lies to justify vs how it actually came about and the true origins of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

lstnag2016

Nov 10, 2013
✟16,046.00
Faith
Messianic
The Torah is not the Talmud.

Why do you say that?

Do you follow the Talmud?

Also Known as "the works of the law" See: Qumran, the sect that spawned the rabbinic tradition (talmud).

This knowledge made available within the Dead Sea Scrolls

YESHUA said their traditions had made void the Written Word

There are sects within Judaism that are Torah Only and reject the talmud... The Karaites are one example, there are others.

Myself, an Israelite of the House of Ya'acob, Ebed b'YHWH Isaiah 44:5

What traditions today make void His Commandments, that is where you will find the modern day Pharisee

christmas easter celebrations making void the commandments

mixing the Holy with the profane

putting other gods before His Face

Praising Him with their lips, having hearts far from Him

Do not go beyond what is written!!!

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Go look up the REAL history as to how Easter Bunny and Easter Eggs came about and you will change your opinion. There are far too many RCC websites that post how they think it came about and just spreading lies to justify vs how it actually came about and the true origins of it.

Is it related to Nimrod, Tammuz, and the lizard people who live in the moon?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative

I really really do not care...the Easter Bunny is entirely irrelevant to Orthodox paschal praxis.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Sorry for inconveniencing your church mandated, lemming obedience of tradition with verifiable facts.

Well, when I consider the chaps who agreed upon the Paschalion were the same ones who anathematized Arius, led by the chap who defined the 27 book NT canon, I find myself disinclined to quibble with them on this point.

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I really really do not care...the Easter Bunny is entirely irrelevant to Orthodox paschal praxis.

I've managed to spend my, thus far, 33 years on this planet celebrating Easter/Pascha without bunnies being a feature. I've spent my adult life without colored eggs, egg hunts, and the like.

My Easter is spent doing one thing: gathering with the faithful to lift up our hallelujahs in thanks, praise, and joyful celebration that He who had suffered death on Calvary's cross has risen from the dead and lives forever granting salvation and life to the world.

If that's pagan, then I'll be a pagan, I'll be the biggest pagan I can be. Because the word "pagan" isn't going to stop me from crying out in joyous exultation, "He is risen!"

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I've managed to spend my, thus far, 33 years on this planet celebrating Easter/Pascha without bunnies being a feature. I've spent my adult life without colored eggs, egg hunts, and the like.

My Easter is spent doing one thing: gathering with the faithful to lift up our hallelujahs in thanks, praise, and joyful celebration that He who had suffered death on Calvary's cross has risen from the dead and lives forever granting salvation and life to the world.

If that's pagan, then I'll be a pagan, I'll be the biggest pagan I can be. Because the word "pagan" isn't going to stop me from crying out in joyous exultation, "He is risen!"

-CryptoLutheran

Christos Anesti!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative

-CryptoLutheran

Are you familiar with the Orthodox hymn "Let God arise"? One of the highlights of Paschal Matins. Also known as "Let God be Resurrected."

Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered; let those who hate him flee from before his face!
As smoke vanishes, so let them vanish; as wax melts before the fire,
So the sinners will perish before the face of God; but let the righteous be glad.
This is the day which the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death,
and on those in the grave bestowing life.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Are you familiar with the Orthodox hymn "Let God arise"? One of the highlights of Paschal Matins. Also known as "Let God be Resurrected."

Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered; let those who hate him flee from before his face!
As smoke vanishes, so let them vanish; as wax melts before the fire,
So the sinners will perish before the face of God; but let the righteous be glad.
This is the day which the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death,
and on those in the grave bestowing life.

I'd never heard of it, but I like the complimentary combination of the Psalms and the Paschal Troparion. Psalm 68 being re-read in light of the resurrection as death, hell, and the devil are given their fatal blow by His glorious resurrection.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'd never heard of it, but I like the complimentary combination of the Psalms and the Paschal Troparion. Psalm 68 being re-read in light of the resurrection as death, hell, and the devil are given their fatal blow by His glorious resurrection.

-CryptoLutheran

It has the effect of undermining in one swift stroke the combined errors of Nestorianism, Arianism and of the rejection of our Lord outright.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
One gets the impression with these sorts of threads that the anti-Christian feast crowd hasn't ever actually experienced or participated in an actual celebration of these things. I'm hard pressed to imagine one coming and seeing or participating in a traditional or even mostly traditional Paschal celebration and coming away with "Easter bunnies and egg hunts". These are the criticisms of people who, clearly, have little to no first hand experience in what normative Christian worship looks like.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
One gets the impression with these sorts of threads that the anti-Christian feast crowd hasn't ever actually experienced or participated in an actual celebration of these things. I'm hard pressed to imagine one coming and seeing or participating in a traditional or even mostly traditional Paschal celebration and coming away with "Easter bunnies and egg hunts". These are the criticisms of people who, clearly, have little to no first hand experience in what normative Christian worship looks like.

-CryptoLutheran
You nailed that...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We now rebaptize Arians, interestingly.
So was it done then too. They had to be baptized in the first place.

But Eunomians, who are baptized with only one immersion, and Montanists, who are here called Phrygians, and Sabellians, who teach the identity of Father and Son, and do sundry other mischievous things, and [the partisans of] all other heresies—for there are many such here, particularly among those who come from the country of the Galatians:—all these, when they desire to turn to orthodoxy, we receive as heathen. On the first day we make them Christians; on the second, catechumens; on the third, we exorcise them by breathing thrice in their face and ears; and thus we instruct them and oblige them to spend some time in the Church, and to hear the Scriptures; and then we baptize them.
-ibid-

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, when I consider the chaps who agreed upon the Paschalion were the same ones who anathematized Arius, led by the chap who defined the 27 book NT canon, I find myself disinclined to quibble with them on this point.
Doesn't your group have a differing OT? If so, what's your reason?

-Athanasius 39th letter
17. There are, then, belonging to the Old Testament in number a total of twenty-two, for, as I have heard, it has been handed down that this is the numberof the letters in the Hebrew alphabet. In order and by name they are as follows:
À
rst, Genesis; then Exodus; then Leviticus; and after this, Numbers; and
À
nallyDeuteronomy. After these is Joshua, the son of Nun; and Judges; and after this, Ruth; and again, next four books of Kings, the
À
rst and second of these being reckoned as one book, and the third and fourth likewise being one. After these areFirst and Second Chronicles, likewise reckoned as one book; then First and SecondEsdras, likewise as one. After these is the book of Psalms; and then Proverbs; thenEcclesiastes and the Song of Songs. After these is Job; and
À
nally the Prophets, the twelve being reckoned as one book; then Isaiah; Jeremiah and with it, Baruch; Lamentations and the Letter; and after it, Ezekiel and Daniel. To this point are the books of the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Doesn't your group have a differing OT? If so, what's your reason?

-Athanasius 39th letter
17. There are, then, belonging to the Old Testament in number a total of twenty-two, for, as I have heard, it has been handed down that this is the numberof the letters in the Hebrew alphabet. In order and by name they are as follows:
À
rst, Genesis; then Exodus; then Leviticus; and after this, Numbers; and
À
nallyDeuteronomy. After these is Joshua, the son of Nun; and Judges; and after this, Ruth; and again, next four books of Kings, the
À
rst and second of these being reckoned as one book, and the third and fourth likewise being one. After these areFirst and Second Chronicles, likewise reckoned as one book; then First and SecondEsdras, likewise as one. After these is the book of Psalms; and then Proverbs; thenEcclesiastes and the Song of Songs. After these is Job; and
À
nally the Prophets, the twelve being reckoned as one book; then Isaiah; Jeremiah and with it, Baruch; Lamentations and the Letter; and after it, Ezekiel and Daniel. To this point are the books of the Old Testament.

Athanasius' Paschal letter is important in the history of the Canon, but it's not definitive. One notices here that Athanasius accepts Baruch and the Epistle of Jeremiah, but later expresses his view that Esther isn't canonical though good to read, along with Sirach, Wisdom, Tobit, etc.

"But for greater exactness I add this also, writing of necessity; that there are other books besides these not indeed included in the Canon, but appointed by the Fathers to be read by those who newly join us, and who wish for instruction in the word of godliness. The Wisdom of Solomon, and the Wisdom of Sirach, and Esther, and Judith, and Tobit, and that which is called the Teaching of the Apostles, and the Shepherd."

What Athanasius' letter grants us is part of the story of the Canon, and presents for us an important witness to the shape of the New Testament Canon within the history of said Canon. He is not the definitive authority by any means, but he is an important voice within the Church's long discussion and engagement with what was to ultimately take shape as the Bible.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0