How is Easter on 3/27/16 before Passover 4/22/16???

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Other than the Paschal service none of those things have anything to do with the Christian celebration of Pascha/Easter. And what Christ commanded with "Do this for the remembrance of Me" refers to the Holy Eucharist.
-CryptoLutheran

You might want to consider that Christ was speaking allegorically of His body and blood represented by the bread and wine. The unholy practice of transubstantiation was not taught at the last supper, otherwise Christ would have literally been transformed into the bread and wine... but He wasn't.

Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ieally, I must have misread the part where Jesus said, "do this in rememberance of me"

Possibly. The Eucharist is what He instituted when He said "Do this for the remembrance of Me", the partaking of the bread and wine, which are His body and blood.

The Paschal Feast is the liturgical celebration of His resurrection.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You might want to consider that Christ was speaking allegorically of His body and blood represented by the bread and wine. The unholy practice of transubstantiation was not taught at the last supper, otherwise Christ would have literally been transformed into the bread and wine... but He wasn't.

Since elsewhere you've made it clear that you aren't interested in understanding Christian theology as it pertains to the Sacrament of the Table, then it is fruitless to discuss it with you here.

Suffice to say I have no reason to depart from the universal teaching of the Christian Church as taught in Scripture, by the Apostles, and ever after concerning the Real Presence of the Lord in His Supper.

Also, as I've mentioned before, I--as with the rest of the global population of Lutherans--do not believe in Transubstantiation.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, when I consider the chaps who agreed upon the Paschalion were the same ones who anathematized Arius, led by the chap who defined the 27 book NT canon, I find myself disinclined to quibble with them on this point.
Because they are the arbiters of all truth, right? Right on one point, must be right on them all... great tradition to follow... to bad God despises man's tradition.

Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Because they are the arbiters of all truth, right? Right on one point, must be right on them all... great tradition to follow... to bad God despises man's tradition.
Did he say that? How about responding without the sarcasm?

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Also, as I've mentioned before, I--as with the rest of the global population of Lutherans--do not believe in Transubstantiation.

-CryptoLutheran

You might want to use a different term to differentiate yourself from the RC as they believe, as you know, in the Real Presence of Christ.

My mistake for assuming that the term eucharist means the same to all.. do you guys have other similar yet different terms that we should be aware of?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You might want to use a different term to differentiate yourself from the RC as they believe, as you know, in the Real Presence of Christ.

My mistake for assuming that the term eucharist means the same to all.. do you guys have other similar yet different terms that we should be aware of?
They do have a different definition for it. You might want to do some research before speaking about things you apparently do not understand.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Sure, as soon as you stop using the term "Bible" to differentiate your view from the RC.

Transubstantiation is a specific theory, or explanation, or view of the Real Presence. Cola describes a variety of carbonated beverages, Coca-Cola is only one brand of cola. Not all cola is Coke.

The Lutheran teaching on the Real Presence is rather well expressed here in our Confessions, this in particular is Luther's Large Catechism.

In brief:
"Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar?

Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink. And as we have said of Baptism that it is not simple water, so here also we say the Sacrament is bread and wine, but not mere bread and wine, such as are ordinarily served at the table, but bread and wine comprehended in, and connected with, the Word of God.
"

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
To correct to align to Ex. 12:2 wherein first month is also after spring equinox.

Spring Equinox is 3/20. First new moon thereafter is about 4/7. First full moon is 4/22. First Sunday after first full moon is 4/24.

Easter is a man-made tradition because at Nicea they decided they didn't want anything to do with anything Jewish.
This is a problem why?
If one went by the bible (apostolic teaching), then Passover would be on 4/21 (Thursday), unleavened bread 4/22 (Friday full moon), first of firstfruits on 4/23. First fruits 4/24.

Pascha is a floating observance. Easter is fixed to the first Sunday after the first full moon (not coinciding if full moon falls on a Sunday, then delayed a week) after the Spring Equinox.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Easter is a pagan holiday whereas, Passover is the date when Jesus was crucified. Thing is, we are nor called to celebrate our Lord's death and resurrection the way the world does. In the two accounts of the last supper, Jesus is very clear when He gave us the communion command. To celebrate something so sacred incorrectly, by the worlds pagan tradition, is indefensible.
Easter is not a pagan holiday. Some people's traditions, such as bunnies, chicks, chocolate, etc. are secular, to be sure. But those of us who celebrate Christ's birth, His passion, death and resurrection, do not equate Easter with bunnies, chicks and chocolate.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So you obviously dont care when the Messiah died then. Celebrating him rising from the grave is great, but he said to remember his death as well, so you cant ignore that and say ill remember when he rose only.

And if dates dont have any significance, then First Fruits was a waste as he rose on that and Pentecost was a waste of time too, but since the date was significant, they were there to get the Holy Spirit.
WE DO remember his death, his suffering and his resurrection. It just doesn't really matter what particular days those are. It is true that the Church wanted to separate the celebration from the Passover of the Jews, especially after the persecution the Jews did of the Christians after the death and resurrection of Jesus.

Upvote 0

lstnag2016

Nov 10, 2013
✟16,046.00
Faith
Messianic
WE DO remember his death, his suffering and his resurrection. It just doesn't really matter what particular days those are. It is true that the Church wanted to separate the celebration from the Passover of the Jews, especially after the persecution the Jews did of the Christians after the death and resurrection of Jesus.

Genesis 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide Himself a Lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

The 1st occurrence of Pesach ~ Passover in the Scriptures

Exodus 12:11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is YHWH'S Passover.

The 3rd occurrence

Exodus 12:27 That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of YHWH'S Passover who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when he smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped.

the Passover to YHWH 12:48

Leviticus 23:5
In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is YHWH'S Passover.

Numbers 28:16 And in the fourteenth day of the first month is the Passover of YHWH

1st occurrence Brit Chadashah

Matthew 26:2
Ye know that after two days is the feast of the Passover, and the Son of Man is betrayed to be crucified.

Matthew 26:17-19

Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to YESHUA, saying unto Him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the Passover?

And HE said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the Passover at thy house with My disciples.

Mat 26:19

And the disciples did as YESHUA had appointed them; and they made ready the Passover.

In the Millennium

Ezekiel 45:21

In the first month, in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the Passover.

Just now had the thought to search " Keep the Feast" in the scriptures

Here is the last occurrence in the Tanakh called OT

And the first occurrence in the Brit Chadashah called NT

Zechariah 14:19
This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of Tabernacles.

1 Corinthians 5:8
Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Tabernacles will also be kept in the Millennium, Sukkot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you obviously dont care when the Messiah died then.
When? No, I don't. The He died and rose from the dead and ascended into Heaven are the facts I find significant.

Celebrating him rising from the grave is great, but he said to remember his death as well, so you cant ignore that and say ill remember when he rose only.
He died 3 days before He rose.

And if dates dont have any significance, then First Fruits was a waste as he rose on that and Pentecost was a waste of time too, but since the date was significant, they were there to get the Holy Spirit.
What happened on those days was significant, the dates are not.

Do you feel that the times of day were significant as well as the dates? How about the precise duration of the events themselves? Are those part of the magic?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But those of us who celebrate Christ's birth, His passion, death and resurrection, do not equate Easter with bunnies, chicks and chocolate.
Do you have kids... do you entertain them with these "secular" beliefs? Every church I have seen or attended on Easter had pagan activities for the kids, sometimes stories with bunnies, egg hunts and other decorations in the church... if your church has managed to stay away from this, then that's awesome. Never been my experience which is all I can speak from.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tell us, how did Jesus ask us to commemorate His death burial and resurrection?
By ignoring them, and condemning the brethren to choose to observe them? After all, it was just a run-of-the-mill resurrection of God Incarnate. Nothing to get worked up about.

Yes, the easter egg hunt
The egg traditionally symbolizes the tomb from which our Lord arose. Dreadful stuff, huh?

the sunrise service
In Korean churches there's typically a sunrise service every Sunday, but in American churches the rising of the sun represents the Rising of the Son. Ghastly, isn't it?

We've been over the egg. The bunny is just weird, but it hardly seems to me reason to ignore the single most important event in the history of the universe, does it?

this must be what Christ meant when He said to "do this in remembrance of Me", right?
Actually He was talking about the Eucharist. You know, where we receive either the Body and Blood of our Lord, or a sip of Welchade and a bit of cracker, depending on your persuasion.

As far as the origin of these celebrations, you must be a fool to say they are not from pagan origins
I'd say that it's foolish to believe that they are, especially if it leads anyone to not join the brethren throughout the world and throughout history in proclaiming "He is risen indeed!" Hmmm... I wonder who takes the most pleasure in suppressing that glorious cry of the ultimate triumph of our Lord Christ?

Whether or not you think of that as any consequence, is entirely your prerogative, but don't, so obviously, show your ignorance on something that even people that don't study to know these things, understand.
I think we understand that your sect, whatever it is, doesn't believe that we should celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord and His triumph over sin and death. They probably believe in keeping the Jewish feasts instead, as though Christ had not come. How very sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry for inconveniencing your church mandated, lemming obedience of tradition with verifiable facts.
The fact is that our Lord rose from the dead, whether your lot chooses to celebrate that fact or not.

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The fact that Christianity has allowed an Egg Laying rabbit into the remembrance of their messiah shows have far we are falling form what God commanded in not doing the same things the pagans did to worship their god and worship him in the same exact manner. God calls that an abomination.
I think God might find it even more abominable for Christians to pointedly ignore the greatest of all His works for fear of what some long dead pagans may or may not have done.

[Easter celebrations should be about Christ and Christ only. You dont see Jews that believe in the Messiah holding easter egg hunts at their churches/synagogues during Passover and unleavened bread
They're so busy being Jewish that they can't celebrate the ultimate victory of our Lord over death. Kinda like the 1st century Jews were so busy being Jewish that when the Lord God Himself walked among then, they not only didn't recognize Him, they killed Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0