How is Easter on 3/27/16 before Passover 4/22/16???

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've managed to spend my, thus far, 33 years on this planet celebrating Easter/Pascha without bunnies being a feature. I've spent my adult life without colored eggs, egg hunts, and the like.

My Easter is spent doing one thing: gathering with the faithful to lift up our hallelujahs in thanks, praise, and joyful celebration that He who had suffered death on Calvary's cross has risen from the dead and lives forever granting salvation and life to the world.

If that's pagan, then I'll be a pagan, I'll be the biggest pagan I can be. Because the word "pagan" isn't going to stop me from crying out in joyous exultation, "He is risen!"

-CryptoLutheran
Amen! Tell it, brother! OUR LORD CHRIST IS RISEN!

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One gets the impression with these sorts of threads that the anti-Christian feast crowd hasn't ever actually experienced or participated in an actual celebration of these things. I'm hard pressed to imagine one coming and seeing or participating in a traditional or even mostly traditional Paschal celebration and coming away with "Easter bunnies and egg hunts". These are the criticisms of people who, clearly, have little to no first hand experience in what normative Christian worship looks like.

-CryptoLutheran
QFT

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Easter is not a pagan holiday.

Not quite sure why you keep pushing this erroneous statement. Obviously, nothing I post will change you mind, I'm afraid. But for others that maybe think you might be right or are not sure, lets provide some quotes and links to follow, shall we?

Most historians, including Biblical scholars, agree that Easter was originally a pagan festival. According to the New Unger’s Bible Dictionary says: “The word Easter is of Saxon origin, Eastra, the goddess of spring, in whose honour sacrifices were offered about Passover time each year. By the eighth century Anglo–Saxons had adopted the name to designate the celebration of Christ’s resurrection.”

You can read the whole article here...
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/ancient-pagan-origins-easter-001571

Here's an article from The Guardian...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/apr/03/easter-pagan-symbolism

Except for the obviously RC/EO biased wiki entry, almost every other Google hit is on the pagan reality of the holiday.

Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You might want to consider that Christ was speaking allegorically of His body and blood
You might want to consider that He meant precisely what He said.

The unholy practice of transubstantiation was not taught at the last supper
Sorry, OM, but: A) you don't know what transubstantiation means, and B) you've deciding that our Lord couldn't really meant what He said, because your sect doesn't believe it He did. Given His words vs. Man's Opinions, I reckon I'll go with His words. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

, otherwise Christ would have literally been transformed into the bread and wine... but He wasn't.
A shame you weren't there to explain what He really meant to those who took Him literally. If He'd just be able to express Himself more clearly...

Reactions: Simon Crosby
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because they are the arbiters of all truth, right?
Intruding on your territory, are they? <Laugh>

God despises man's tradition.
You realize that the Canon of Scripture upon which the Bible is compiled is one of man's traditions, right? So are you gonna chuck your KJV in the trash on that basis?

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You might want to use a different term to differentiate yourself from the RC as they believe, as you know, in the Real Presence of Christ.
As do the Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans.

My mistake for assuming that the term eucharist means the same to all.
It does. Your mistake was in assuming we all believe in transubstantiation, which we do not. The problem is that you don't know what transubstantiation means.

. do you guys have other similar yet different terms that we should be aware of?
Who's "we"?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Easter Bunnies and EGG hunts have ZERO to do with Christ. The fact that Christianity has allowed an Egg Laying rabbit into the remembrance of their messiah shows have far we are falling form what God commanded in not doing the same things the pagans did to worship their god and worship him in the same exact manner. God calls that an abomination.

Easter celebrations should be about Christ and Christ only. You dont see Jews that believe in the Messiah holding easter egg hunts at their churches/synagogues during Passover and unleavened bread
Do they participate in the afikoman at the Seder as many Jews do?

The custom of hiding the afikoman so that the children at the Seder will "steal" it and demand a reward for it ......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afikoman

The afikoman isn't in the Biblical Passover any more than Easter eggs are. But people develop traditions that are meaningful to their beliefs.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not quite sure why you keep pushing this erroneous statement.
Sorry, OM. but the contention that Easter is pagan is simply too ridiculous to take seriously. YOiu have to be willing to swallow a significant amount of hogwash to believe it, or, I suppose, to simply be altogether clueless as to the nature and significance of the day.

Obviously, nothing I post will change you mind
Nor should it. You're talking sanctimonious nonsense.

Except for the obviously RC/EO biased wiki entry, almost every other Google hit is on the pagan reality of the holiday.
Kinda reminds me of the ubiquitous and idiotic Blood Moon Tetrads stuff that covered the 'net a few months ago. If the truth were established by the popular vote it would be a strange world indeed.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You consider chocolate to be religious? Only when accompanied by macadamia nuts....:)
When it comes to chocolate....speak for your self.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Genesis 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide Himself a Lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

The 1st occurrence of Pesach ~ Passover in the Scriptures

Exodus 12:11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is YHWH'S Passover.

The 3rd occurrence

Exodus 12:27 That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of YHWH'S Passover who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when he smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped.

the Passover to YHWH 12:48

Leviticus 23:5
In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is YHWH'S Passover.

Numbers 28:16 And in the fourteenth day of the first month is the Passover of YHWH

1st occurrence Brit Chadashah

Matthew 26:2
Ye know that after two days is the feast of the Passover, and the Son of Man is betrayed to be crucified.

Matthew 26:17-19

Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to YESHUA, saying unto Him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the Passover?

And HE said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the Passover at thy house with My disciples.

Mat 26:19

And the disciples did as YESHUA had appointed them; and they made ready the Passover.

In the Millennium

Ezekiel 45:21

In the first month, in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the Passover.

Just now had the thought to search " Keep the Feast" in the scriptures

Here is the last occurrence in the Tanakh called OT

And the first occurrence in the Brit Chadashah called NT

Zechariah 14:19
This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of Tabernacles.

1 Corinthians 5:8
Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Tabernacles will also be kept in the Millennium, Sukkot

What is your point???

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you have kids... do you entertain them with these "secular" beliefs? Every church I have seen or attended on Easter had pagan activities for the kids, sometimes stories with bunnies, egg hunts and other decorations in the church... if your church has managed to stay away from this, then that's awesome. Never been my experience which is all I can speak from.
I allow them chocolate, but I do not associate it with Easter.
You've never been to a Catholic Easter Vigil Mass. It's about 3 hours long. We chant the Exultet, in the dark, with only the Easter Paschal candle lit. We read the history of the Church from Genesis through the prophets, seven or more readings, then the NT, then the Gospel. Then we baptize new converts. Then celebrate the Eucharist. There are no easter egg rolls or bunny hunts.
My biggest point here is that you haven't experienced the genius of the Catholic faith.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not quite sure why you keep pushing this erroneous statement. Obviously, nothing I post will change you mind, I'm afraid. But for others that maybe think you might be right or are not sure, lets provide some quotes and links to follow, shall we?
You know, it depends on what you mean, but as a blanket statement, it's patently false. If you were running for president, I'd here call you a liar. Because you don't know many people who celebrate Easter the way we celebrate Easter. It has nothing to do with bunnies and chicks and colored eggs. It starts on Holy Thursday where we commemorate the Passover Feast of our Lord, then his betrayal. It continues on Good Friday when we remember his trial, his beating, his humiliation, and his way to Golgotha, then his 7 last phrases, then his interment. Then on Holy Saturday night, as the clock strikes midnight, we celebrate his glorious resurrection. Maybe on Sunday afternoon, after a joyful feast, we might have chocolate. But it is in no way connected to the Passion, Death and Resurrection of our Lord.

You can read the whole article here...
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/ancient-pagan-origins-easter-001571

Here's an article from The Guardian...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/apr/03/easter-pagan-symbolism

Who cares about the obviously biased pagans? We celebrate an event that changed the entire Universe-the Salvific death of our God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Athanasius' Paschal letter is important in the history of the Canon, but it's not definitive. One notices here that Athanasius accepts Baruch and the Epistle of Jeremiah, but later expresses his view that Esther isn't canonical though good to read, along with Sirach, Wisdom, Tobit, etc.

"But for greater exactness I add this also, writing of necessity; that there are other books besides these not indeed included in the Canon, but appointed by the Fathers to be read by those who newly join us, and who wish for instruction in the word of godliness. The Wisdom of Solomon, and the Wisdom of Sirach, and Esther, and Judith, and Tobit, and that which is called the Teaching of the Apostles, and the Shepherd."

What Athanasius' letter grants us is part of the story of the Canon, and presents for us an important witness to the shape of the New Testament Canon within the history of said Canon. He is not the definitive authority by any means, but he is an important voice within the Church's long discussion and engagement with what was to ultimately take shape as the Bible.

-CryptoLutheran
I understand. The point was trying to be made that someone accepts Athanasius' rendering of some things, as if to bind us to all Athanasius said. Such is not really the case.

It's about like all ECFs. They're a box of chocolates, we don't really know what we'll get.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They're so busy being Jewish that they can't celebrate the ultimate victory of our Lord over death. Kinda like the 1st century Jews were so busy being Jewish that when the Lord God Himself walked among then, they not only didn't recognize Him, they killed Him.
You really need to apologize to the apostles, and many others of the times.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For a group that always trots out "abide the traditions" whether written or unwritten, one would think you, as a member of said group, shouldn't have to ask.

Just saying...
And I'm just saying that we don't have to follow Jewish man-made traditions, especially considering the persecution of Christians by the Jews after the Crucifixion. That's why we chose to determine Easter by non-Jewish formula. The Christians resented the persecution by those they considered brothers, and thus anathemized them. The End.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You really need to apologize to the apostles, and many others of the times.
Horse feathers. We have nothing to apologize for, in light of the persecution of Christians by not only the Romans, but the Jews. Why do you think no Christians were killed in the extermination of Jews by the Romans in AD 70???

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And I'm just saying that we don't have to follow Jewish man-made traditions, especially considering the persecution of Christians by the Jews after the Crucifixion. That's why we chose to determine Easter by non-Jewish formula. The Christians resented the persecution by those they considered brothers, and thus anathemized them. The End.

You've no idea the history. Passover as "Jewish man-made tradition"? Jewish persecution of Christians? What are you talking about?

Upvote 0