Status
Not open for further replies.

odysseyjak

Oct 27, 2005
✟162.00
Faith
Anglican
Tawhano,

I really appreciate your attitude here. It is a 'breath of fresh air', as the saying goes.

Thank you for clarifying your view a little for me. It helps me to understand you better.

There are a couple of things that you stated that I would like to address and please realize that I am not coming against you. This is not personal. You stated some things that would seem to happen at the 'end' but I missed what you thought the 'end' was. You referred to a 'spiritual life' with Jesus when he comes for his bride and that people would be changed into the spiritual at the coming and it was then that people would actually be saved and you seem to believe this would happen at the 'end', but, again, what is the 'end'?

Some other things to consider (and some of these are recent thoughts for me): First, in Matt 10.22, Jesus was referring to the 12 (specifically -- and to the church of the first century in general) when he spoke those words. The 'salvation' would not have been understood as 'life with god' or 'eternal life' but the people would be 'saved' from the persecution he was talking about (see verses 16ff). And this did happen to the early church (it could be seen in the book of Acts, for example). The early Christians were persecuted by the Jews (primarily). Their 'salvation' came when, in 70CE, the Romans defeated the Jews. During the 3.5 years of the war (yes, 3.5 years), the 'attention' was moved from the Christians and focused on the Romans. The Christians were 'saved' during that time and 'finally' at the fall of the Temple.

Second, the 'spiritual' nature of the 'resurrection': In the ancient world, the pagans (and this includes all other religions, not just those who practice paganism) as well as the Jews didn’t really have much of a view of life after death. ‘Who can praise you from the grave’, the Psalmist wrote. (Incidentally, this is why the Sadducee’s did not believe in resurrection or an after life. The Torah didn’t teach it. Or so they thought. See Jesus’ response to some of them in Matthew 22.23-33.)

It wasn’t until later that both pagans and Jews started to view some kind of life after death. The pagans fiddled with the idea of immortality. That is, some type of life existed after death, but to what extent, no one was certain. We see this is the writings of Homer, for example, where Odysseus went to the place of the dead and spoke with the souls (psyche) of the departed. The other thing that is interesting during this period is that the pagan belief was not founded on actual people, but on myth and legend. Based on these ideas, some pagans believed that (at least some) people had an ‘immortal part’ that existed ‘before time’ and had somehow become trapped in a physical body in the now. The ‘body’, therefore, was seen as a ‘prison’ from which to escape. At death, this ‘immortal part’ was ‘released from the prison’ and returned to the stars from whence it came.

The Jews, however, didn’t believe this. The body was part of the ‘good creation’ of the creator god, their covenant god, YHWY. They believed that those people who were loyal to YHWH would continue to live after death. But, like the pagans, they weren’t certain as to what type of life this would be. It wasn’t until later texts (Daniel, Isaiah, Ezekiel, etc.) that the idea of ‘resurrection’ came into fruition. ‘Resurrection’ meant the re-embodiment of the soul. The pagans naturally scoffed at such an idea. ‘Who would want to come back to this place?’ The pagans were trying to leave the ‘prison’ of the body and return to the universe. However, the Jewish belief became even more solidified with a couple of factors: The Septuagint and the Maccabees. The Septuagint (written between the third and first century BCE) translated the more ambiguous ‘life after death’ passages into life after life after death (resurrection) passages. The Maccabees were tortured and killed for their allegiance to Israel’s covenant god, YHWY, and a common thread in their testimonies was that if they were not vindicated in this life, they would be resurrected in god’s new creation. This 'resurrected life' was based on Israel's covenant god and his love for his good creation.

The metaphorical view of resurrection (based primarly on Ezekiel 37) was based on the actual promised resurrection. In that passage, YHWH used the imagery of resurrection to show that Israel would be returned to their land. However, when the Jews were allowed to return to Palestine, most viewed themselves as still being in exile. They were under Roman rule. If god’s people were not restored and vidicated in this creation, their god would restore and vidicate them in his new creation with resurrection. By the time of Jesus and the apostles, most Jews of this time understood resurrection to mean what it had always primarily meant – a re-embodiment in god’s new creation. It never meant anything else.

It is at this point where we find Jesus. One of the big things (!) that happened was his resurrection. His literal re-embodiment – not at the end of the age, but during it! The early Christians took the metaphorical sense of second-temple Judaism differently. Instead of a return from national exile (Ezekiel 37), it meant a return to fellowship with god – a return from spiritual/covenantal exile. But, they also believed in the literal interpretation of resurrection as well. They witnessed it (some of them) in the actual resurrection of Jesus. The incredible thing was that it didn’t happen at the end of the age, like they all expected, but during it! God’s ‘new creation’ started on the first Easter morning. That moment was seen, by the early Christians, as god implementing his new creation now. They’re view of resurrection was exactly what most of their fellow Jews believed. It had a metaphorical meaning and a literal one. They just changed the identifier from nationalism to Jesus. If god had really forgiven Israel through the work of Jesus, then god had forgiven the Gentiles as well. Thus leading to the preaching to them. The early Christians began to see that the promised ‘new creation’ started and it was up to them to implement it in their time.

Upvote 0

odysseyjak

Oct 27, 2005
✟162.00
Faith
Anglican
Tawhano,

Some thoughts on 1Thess 4.13ff: The imagery in this passage is one of royalty coming to a city. A beloved king would come and people would rush out to meet him and then come with the king into the city. The king and the people would not stay outside the city. The king was coming into the city and the people would go meet him while he was outside and come with him into the city. We see an example of this in Matthew 21.1-11.

The point is -- and this is something most people don't see -- St Paul was not talking about leaving this place to go 'in the clouds' -- in heaven -- and stay there. Jesus was bringing heaven to earth and his people would be joining him. This isn't a new idea. We see it in the 'Lord's Prayer' -- '[god's] kingdom come . . . on earth'. And in Revelation when the new Jerusalem come 'down from heaven'. The new creation is a merging of heaven and earth.

In the Anglican church, there is something called 'thin places'. That is, there are places in the world where the spiritual realm is very close to the natural realm. So close in fact, that people can sense it. The vocation of teh church is to make the entire world a 'thin place'.

That is the imagery seen in 1Thess 4. Jesus coming and bringing heaven to earth where he and his people will 'remain forever'.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
parousia70 said:
Honest observation.

You said:
"I can’t find any futurist sites or material to verify that this is their views"

Taking you at your word, I tried to see how difficult it would be to find such information from scratch so I did a simple google search for the term "2 peter 3 preterism", (reasonably suspecting you would have undertaken something similar in your quest for a futurist website that took the position in question) and I found several sites that champion such, on the first page of hits alone.

I asked myself "How hard was that?" and my answer was, "not very".

Perhaps it would have been even more correct for me to say "you obviously didn't look at all" instead of saying you didn't look "too hard".

Sorry, the "ignorance" card dosen't fly for me here.
I don't equate an ignorance of preterism with an ignorance of how to use google.

Since I was looking for the futurist views on 2 Peter 3 I googled ‘2 Peter 3 futurist’ and not ‘2 peter 3 preterism’ and found very little and nothing to show that their views were as Jack proposed. Try it and see.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
odysseyjak said:
You referred to a 'spiritual life' with Jesus when he comes for his bride and that people would be changed into the spiritual at the coming and it was then that people would actually be saved and you seem to believe this would happen at the 'end', but, again, what is the 'end'?

That is the end, when Christ returns for his bride. I don’t know what you want here; I thought I was clear on what I considered the end. When those things which are spoken of the event of Christ returning for his bride take place; that is the end.

odysseyjak said:
Their 'salvation' came when, in 70CE, the Romans defeated the Jews.

If that is their salvation then the ones who died did not see that salvation because they were dead and did not endure to the end.

odysseyjak said:
That is the imagery seen in 1Thess 4. Jesus coming and bringing heaven to earth where he and his people will 'remain forever'.

Your imagery perhaps, cause if this is the promise of salvation around us today then I am most disappointed.

Upvote 0

odysseyjak

Oct 27, 2005
✟162.00
Faith
Anglican
Tawhano,

There are things in the Bible that are understood better if we approach them with a 'both/and' view instead of an 'either/or' view. This, IMO, is one of the downfalls with debate, especailly within preterism. 'Was Jesus a false prophet or not?' -- the question is brought up over and over again (and, to my shame, I have used it as well).

With that stated, 'salvation' is understood by different things, different contexts. But for the most part, to the first century Jew, it did not mean 'going to heaven when you die'. It was more physical than that. More immediate. They were being persecuted (over-taxed; beaten, rejected, made fun of, tortured, killed, etc.) and over-powered by the Romans. To them, 'salvation' meant that YHWY, their covenant god, would 'put the world to rights'. God would defeat the pagans and put the Jews in 'charge' of the world. They would be 'saved' from the powers of the pagans. Not in some 'heavenly' realm, but in the now.

Furthermore, some people did live to see this 'salvation' brought to them by the judgment of god upon the Jews. If those people who died in hope, that is, if they endured persecution and did not loose faith ('if you lose your life for my sake'), they would be counted worthy and 'saved' in god's new creation.

1Thess. 4: Not my imagery. That is the imagery St Paul used. If we are looking with our physical eyes we will never see what god is doing in this world. We can not see the wind, but we know it is there. Likewise, the 'kingdom of god' the 'new creation' is about changing people, who, in turn, change creation. For example, if Christians would realize that it is our vocation to take care of god's good creation, we would be more involved with environmental issues. The fact that you and I are discussing these things shows that things are better then they were 100 years ago.

Next, we are looking at these terms and phrases from a 21st century, Western, view point. We all do this. Our jobs as historians (and that is what we are discussing here -- how these things were understood in history) is to try our best to move out of our world and get into the world of second-Temple Judaism. We will never understand correctly by looking at the world of the NT through the lenses of the 21st century (clouded, no doubt, with the Enlightenment and moderism).

Finally, what I am asking about 'the end' is do you think that everything ceases to exist? That the 'cosmos' is destroyed? How do you view the 'end'? Is it an 'end' of history? Of the space-time universe as we know it now?

Upvote 0

EchoPneuma

Sep 27, 2005
In a galaxy far far away...
✟3,335.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Tawhano said:
Your imagery perhaps, cause if this is the promise of salvation around us today then I am most disappointed.

It is the imagery in the greek word APANTESIS translated "meet". Jesus returned from within the Holy of Holies in heaven where He had gone to present Himself as the sacrifice for sins...and as He returned the saints met Him and welcomed Him back into the kingdom within their hearts. "And so shall we ever be with the Lord".

Why would you be disappointed? You are disappointed that the fullness of God dwells within you as His temple? That we have the King reigning within His kingdom at this very moment? That you have "Christ in you, the hope of glory"? That we are joint heirs with Jesus of all the promises of God? That our sins are forgiven? That we've been imputed the righteousness of God? That when we die that we will go to our heavenly home? That we are overcomers? That sin no longer has mastery over us? That we no longer fear death? That we can fellowship with God? That our joy can be complete? That Jesus will never leave us nor forsake us?

What in the world is there to be disappointed with? Salvation is GLORIOUS and it is COMPLETE:bow:

Do you think that just maybe you are keeping your eyes too much on the physical things and not on the spiritual realities and blessings that are unseen?

2 Cor. 4:17
17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
odysseyjak said:
With that stated, 'salvation' is understood by different things, different contexts. But for the most part, to the first century Jew, it did not mean 'going to heaven when you die'. It was more physical than that. More immediate.

It matters little what they thought about salvation because Jesus came and explained it to them that would listen. Although it is interesting what salvation may or may not have meant to the first century Jews it does not define the word, Jesus defined the word. The salvation Christ paid for with his blood did not mean deliverance from persecution.

odysseyjak said:
1Thess. 4: Not my imagery. That is the imagery St Paul used.

As interpreted by you. The point I am making is so far you have given me your views on this topic, of which I am grateful, but nothing that makes me think my views are incorrect.

odysseyjak said:
Finally, what I am asking about 'the end' is do you think that everything ceases to exist? That the 'cosmos' is destroyed? How do you view the 'end'? Is it an 'end' of history? Of the space-time universe as we know it now?

Everything will be made new at the end. We will be free from this corruptible flesh. It’s life Jim but not as we know it.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
EchoPneuma said:
Why would you be disappointed? You are disappointed that the fullness of God dwells within you as His temple? That we have the King reigning within His kingdom at this very moment? That you have "Christ in you, the hope of glory"? That we are joint heirs with Jesus of all the promises of God? That our sins are forgiven? That we've been imputed the righteousness of God? That when we die that we will go to our heavenly home? That we are overcomers? That sin no longer has mastery over us? That we no longer fear death? That we can fellowship with God? That our joy can be complete? That Jesus will never leave us nor forsake us?

Yeah, all that :confused: :scratch:

I would be disappointed if salvation means spending eternity in the same pitiful existence I am in now; in constant battle with my flesh and the world’s distractions. God cursed the ground because of Adam; I expect that curse to be lifted in the new earth.

Upvote 0

EchoPneuma

Sep 27, 2005
✟3,335.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Tawhano said:

I would be disappointed if salvation means spending eternity in the same pitiful existence I am in now; in constant battle with my flesh and the world’s distractions. God cursed the ground because of Adam; I expect that curse to be lifted in the new earth.

What makes you think salvation means "spending eternity in the same pitiful existence I am in now"? You don't believe you will go to heaven when you die?

And if your existence is so pitiful, then just MAYBE you aren't walking in the victory that Jesus offers you if you walk in obedience to Him. Jesus said I have come to give you life and give it abundantly. If your life isn't abundant....then something is wrong. Christians above all men should be the most joyous.

Upvote 0

Hidden Manna

Veteran
Feb 21, 2004
✟8,918.00
Faith
Christian
Tawhano said:

In Christ there is no condemnation, and the curse Jesus bore for us, so it was lifted. ;) Through faith in Christ's imputed righteousness unto us we have overcome the world. :clap: :bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EchoPneuma

Sep 27, 2005
✟3,335.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hidden Manna said:
In Christ there is no condemnation, and the curse Jesus bore for us, so it was lifted. Through faith in Christ's imputed righteousness unto us we have overcome the world.

That's right:thumbsup: The curse of sin and death as been lifted because of Jesus:bow: . We are living in the new heaven and earth of eternal gospel grace and the fullness of the spiritual kingdom within our hearts. Jesus is ruling and reigning worldwide HALLELUJAH:clap:

Upvote 0

stauron

Only dust on the outside
Dec 26, 2003
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟882.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
EchoPneuma said:
That's right:thumbsup: The curse of sin and death as been lifted because of Jesus:bow: . We are living in the new heaven and earth of eternal gospel grace and the fullness of the spiritual kingdom within our hearts. Jesus is ruling and reigning worldwide HALLELUJAH:clap:

Yeah I often find that we don't really appreciate the change that took place. If we put ourselves in the mindset of the Jews before Christ, the expectation and longing is very prevalent. They were very cognizant of their separation. The joy of His presence that we have today, and being accepted, is very foreign to their understanding.

Death is not an adversary, our life is in Christ.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
EchoPneuma said:
What makes you think salvation means "spending eternity in the same pitiful existence I am in now"? You don't believe you will go to heaven when you die?

(1Th 4:17) Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

If Christ came in 70AD then this verse is fulfilled and the state in which we are now is the state we will be in for eternity is it not?

EchoPneuma said:
...then something is wrong...

Yes, it is this flesh we are living in.

(Rom 7:18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

It is the putting off of the flesh that I long for. To dwell with God in His glory, His kingdom, His Spirit.

Hidden Manna said:
In Christ there is no condemnation…

Amen to that.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tawhano said:
Since I was looking for the futurist views on 2 Peter 3 I googled ‘2 Peter 3 futurist’ and not ‘2 peter 3 preterism’ and found very little and nothing to show that their views were as Jack proposed.

And it's somehow my fault that you chose to limit your search to those parameters?
:scratch:

Ok then.....

Upvote 0

EchoPneuma

Sep 27, 2005
✟3,335.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Tawhano said:
(1Th 4:17) Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

If Christ came in 70AD then this verse is fulfilled and the state in which we are now is the state we will be in for eternity is it not?

No no no...where did you get that idea? The first century Christians who were still alive when Jesus returned were "caught away" (not up) into the kingdom of Jesus just like the "dead in Christ" were resurrected out of Sheol/Hades and also "caught away" into the kingdom. Both (alive and dead) saints were then "forever with the Lord"....the alive ones were with Him because He made their own bodies His temple and the fullness of the Godhead dwelt within them, and the dead ones were with Him because they were caught away into heaven. All believers NOW, whether alive or dead, are IN the kingdom and WITH the Lord forever. He will never leave us nor forsake us.

We only battle with this "tent" of flesh as long as we are in it. When we shed it at death, then we will be in our eternal state completely separated from the presence of sin and fleshly struggles. That is how we will be for eternity....as Jesus is ....."eternal, immortal and invisible"...at one with Him. Eternal life.

Yes, it is this flesh we are living in.

(Rom 7:18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

It is the putting off of the flesh that I long for. To dwell with God in His glory, His kingdom, His Spirit.

I think all Christians long to put off the flesh. I know Paul did. I do. You do. It's only natural since this world is not our home and we are stangers and sojourners here. Heaven is our home. But God has seen fit to give us a "tent" to live in for a season. He intends for us to "redeem the time" and "make the most of every opportunity"....to increase the kingdom that we are ALREADY living in. Jesus said He came to give us abundant life. Christians should, above all other men, be walking in victory, holiness and spiritual abundance (and I don't mean money).

The "flesh" no longer has mastery over us. We are overcomers through the power of God. That's why we are commanded to "present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto God...which is your reasonable act of worship". Walk in victory my friend. It's ours. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Claim the promise of abundant life that Jesus said He came to give us. Stop living as a spiritual pauper when you are spiritual royalty as a 'joint heir with Christ".

And remember our hope......"Christ in you the hope of Glory.:clap:

Amen to that.

:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
parousia70 said:
And it's somehow my fault that you chose to limit your search to those parameters?

I didn’t say it was your fault, I was explaining why I didn’t find the same sites as you did when I searched. What’s your problem anyway?

Upvote 0

Hidden Manna

Veteran
Feb 21, 2004
✟8,918.00
Faith
Christian
EchoPneuma said:
No no no...where did you get that idea? The first century Christians who were still alive when Jesus returned were "caught away" (not up) into the kingdom of Jesus just like the "dead in Christ" were resurrected out of Sheol/Hades and also "caught away" into the kingdom. Both (alive and dead) saints were then "forever with the Lord"....the alive ones were with Him because He made their own bodies His temple and the fullness of the Godhead dwelt within them, and the dead ones were with Him because they were caught away into heaven. All believers NOW, whether alive or dead, are IN the kingdom and WITH the Lord forever. He will never leave us nor forsake us.

We only battle with this "tent" of flesh as long as we are in it. When we shed it at death, then we will be in our eternal state completely separated from the presence of sin and fleshly struggles. That is how we will be for eternity....as Jesus is ....."eternal, immortal and invisible"...at one with Him. Eternal life.

I think all Christians long to put off the flesh. I know Paul did. I do. You do. It's only natural since this world is not our home and we are stangers and sojourners here. Heaven is our home. But God has seen fit to give us a "tent" to live in for a season. He intends for us to "redeem the time" and "make the most of every opportunity"....to increase the kingdom that we are ALREADY living in. Jesus said He came to give us abundant life. Christians should, above all other men, be walking in victory, holiness and spiritual abundance (and I don't mean money).

The "flesh" no longer has mastery over us. We are overcomers through the power of God. That's why we are commanded to "present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto God...which is your reasonable act of worship". Walk in victory my friend. It's ours. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Claim the promise of abundant life that Jesus said He came to give us. Stop living as a spiritual pauper when you are spiritual royalty as a 'joint heir with Christ".

And remember our hope......"Christ in you the hope of Glory.:clap:

:amen:

I agree 100% and the reason God has us living in our present physical body is so that Jesus can manifest Himself through us like the Father manifested Himself through Jesus when He was here 2000 years ago.

Upvote 0

EchoPneuma

Sep 27, 2005
✟3,335.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hidden Manna said:
I agree 100% and the reason God has us living in our present physical body is so that Jesus can manifest Himself through us like the Father manifested Himself through Jesus when He was here 2000 years ago.

True....Jesus left us an example that we should walk in this footsteps. He lived all the years of His physical life in total submission and obedience to the Father...and showed the world what God was all about. We are to do the same. We are to be living proof of a loving God to a dying world.

Upvote 0

Hidden Manna

Veteran
Feb 21, 2004
✟8,918.00
Faith
Christian
EchoPneuma said:
True....Jesus left us an example that we should walk in this footsteps. He lived all the years of His physical life in total submission and obedience to the Father...and showed the world what God was all about. We are to do the same. We are to be living proof of a loving God to a dying world.

This scripture says it all when it says that our body is not our own because it belongs to Jesus. So whos to say that Jesus does not have a physical body, I mean bodies as in many on earth. We do have an awesome responsiblity to God to allow Him to use us to His glory.

1 Cor.6:19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit [who is] in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? * 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

Upvote 0

EchoPneuma

Sep 27, 2005
✟3,335.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hidden Manna said:
This scripture says it all when it says that our body is not our own because it belongs to Jesus. So whos to say that Jesus does not have a physical body, I mean bodies as in many on earth. We do have an awesome responsiblity to God to allow Him to use us to His glory.

1 Cor.6:19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit [who is] in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? * 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

Well, Paul DOES say that there is ONLY one body. I believe it is that ONE body that is being spoken about when "resurrection" of the "dead in Christ" is talked about. It is that "body" that will rise...not a physical "body".

Romans 12:5
so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.
1 Corinthians 12:12
The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.
1 Corinthians 12:20
As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
Ephesians 2:16
and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.
Ephesians 3:6
This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 4:4
There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called—
Ephesians 4:25
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body.
Colossians 3:15
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

It is the dead "body" of sin that has to be resurrected:

Romans 6:6
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin—

We know our physical "body" isn't done away with when we are saved

Romans 8:10
But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.

Is your PHYSICAL "body" dead because of your sin?

1 Corinthians 15:35
[ The Resurrection Body ] But someone may ask, "How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?"

Notice Paul says "body" and not "bodies" ONE body.

1 Corinthians 15:42
So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable.

Notice again the singular "body" and not "bodies".

1 Corinthians 15:44
it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Again, Paul continues to use the singular "body" and not "bodies". He doesn't say "there are natural BODIES and there are also spiritual BODIES"

2 Corinthians 4:10
We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.

Paul says " OUR body"....why doesn't he say "OUR BODIES"...he's obviously talking about many people by using "OUR"....but he STILL uses the singular "BODY" and not "bodies". OUR ONE BODY.

2 Corinthians 4:11
For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body.

Again, Paul says OUR mortal BODY (singular)...why not "bodies".

Then notice Paul's usage of of the term "body" when he's referring to his OWN PERSONAL PHYSICAL BODY as opposed to this OTHER "body" he's been talking about:

THE "body"
Philippians 1:24
but it is more necessary for you that I remain in THE body.
His PERSONAL body
Galatians 6:17
Finally, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on MY body the marks of Jesus.
Philippians 1:20
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in MY body, whether by life or by death.

Paul referring to his listeners PHYSICAL "body" or "bodies"

1 Thessalonians 4:4
that each of you should learn to control his OWN body in a way that is holy and honorable.
Romans 7:5
For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in OUR bodies,(notice the plural) so that we bore fruit for death.

And we see in this next verse that Paul used the term "body" to refer to a GROUP of people

1 Timothy 4:14
Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

What do you think Peter means here by "judged according to men in regard to THE BODY"?

1 Peter 4:6
For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

Then let's look at the 3 scriptures where Paul talks about "bodies" where people say it is referring to the "resurrection"

Romans 8:11
And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

No mention of resurrection here. Paul is talking to his listeners about something that had already happened to them "if the spirit is living in you".

Romans 8:23
Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

Paul said this was something THEY were eagerly awaiting....and equates the "redemption of our bodies" with " our adoption as sons". We know this happened in 70AD when Jesus returned. That is when the "adoption" occurred and therefore that is ALSO when the "redemption of our bodies" occurred. THere is no resurrection mentioned here.

Philippians 3:21
who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

Again, no mention of "resurrection" here. It's talking about "transformation" of their lowly bodies to be like Jesus "glorious BODY". Why doesn't Paul say " will RESURRECT our lowly bodies "? We've already seen over and over and over how Paul referred to Jesus' "BODY".....and it was NEVER in reference to His physical body....but always in reference to His SPIRITUAL body..or the "body" of believers. At Jesus return He was going to "transform" (not resurrect) the believer's "lowly bodies" into the true "body of Christ"......making them ALL into ONE eternally.

1 Corinthians 12:27
Now you ARE the body of Christ
, and each one of you is a part of it.
Romans 12:5
so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others
Ephesians 4:25
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.