Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Howdy! I would be interested in your opinions.

She gave birth to the Messiah, as well as epitomizes the church of Christ (both before his advent as well as after). So in answer to how does she protect us, in and of herself she does no such thing, but she did give birth to the Messiah, our Lord and Savior...

Upvote 0

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is my understanding that Mary and the Saints have entered into the fullness of theosis. Having done so means they are branches of the True Vine, living extensions of Jesus Himself (as we are all called to be). They have partaken in the divine nature unto their glorification in Heaven and now rule and reign with Christ. Through their prayers and blessings we continue to benefit from being a part of the Church. Their abilities and awareness are expanded beyond time and space. They exist in a spiritual union with Christ through the Spirit and therefore have full fellowship with the Father. When the Saints are venerated and prayed to we affirm the realities of Christ in them, Heaven, and the reality of a single Church whose fellowship isn't broken in death. Just as Christ is glorified when we ask for a living brother or sister to pray for us, Christ is glorified when we petition the Saints to pray for us or act on our behalf.

2 Peter 1:4
New Catholic Bible
By these he has given us his precious promises, great beyond all price, so that through them you may escape from the corruption with which evil desires have infected the world and thereby may come to share in the divine nature.

John 15:4-6
New Catholic Bible
4 “Abide in me, as I abide in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, so you cannot bear fruit unless you abide in me.
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever abides in me, and I in him, will bear much fruit. Apart from me you can do nothing.

Revelation 5:8
New Catholic Bible
When he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders prostrated themselves before the Lamb. Each of the elders was holding a harp, and they had gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Revelation 8:3
New Catholic Bible
Another angel came forward with a gold censer and stood at the altar. He was given a large quantity of incense to offer, with the prayers of all the saints, on the gold altar that stood before the throne.

Revelation 8:4
New Catholic Bible
The smoke of the incense together with the prayers of the saints rose before God from the hand of the angel.

Revelation 20:4
New Catholic Bible
4 Next, I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given the authority to judge. I also saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for bearing witness to Jesus and the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. (Classical Amillennial Understanding)

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure the Queen of Heaven you mention is probably the one mentioned in Jeremiah, right?

I'm sure Romans didn't care as much of Egyptians deities, and there is also the fact a lot of pagan religions refer to characters as "sons of God", yet you don't think St. Constantine copied that, right?

When did Catholic church start worshiping Mary?
In the early part of the 3rd century, Hippolytus of Rome recorded the first liturgical reference to the Virgin Mary, as part of the ordination rite of a bishop. Marian feasts appeared in the 4th century, and the feast of the "Memory of Mary, Mother of God" was celebrated on August 15 in Jerusalem by the year 350.
Veneration of Mary in the Catholic Church - Wikipedia

Such "mother" worship was unheard of in the early church. It was never promoted by the apostles. It they had? It would surely be seen in Scripture, which we do not find.

There was a pagan streak in some people who loved to worship a mother figure. Eventually it snuck into the church. It was not found with the founding apostles.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is my understanding that Mary and the Saints have entered into the fullness of theosis.
Their resurrection has not even taken place yet. Before such powers will be granted (if it were possible)
the resurrection must first take place. Then each resurrected believer must be evaluated by the Lord to
see if He can grant them rewards. That is found in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15!

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.
If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw,
their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be
revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been
built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss
but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Do you understand that?

That is Scripture, not some church dogma.

Scripture trumps dogma when dogma does not agree with the Word of God.

grace and peace ..................

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When did Catholic church start worshiping Mary?
In the early part of the 3rd century, Hippolytus of Rome recorded the first liturgical reference to the Virgin Mary, as part of the ordination rite of a bishop. Marian feasts appeared in the 4th century, and the feast of the "Memory of Mary, Mother of God" was celebrated on August 15 in Jerusalem by the year 350.
Veneration of Mary in the Catholic Church - Wikipedia

Such "mother" worship was unheard of in the early church. It was never promoted by the apostles. It they had? It would surely be seen in Scripture, which we do not find.

There was a pagan streak in some people who loved to worship a mother figure. Eventually it snuck into the church. It was not found with the founding apostles.
Funny that besides the false statements you present, you talk about Scriptures whose canon was formed by those who you call "Mary worshippers", especially since that happened between the 3rd & 5th centuries.

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Funny that besides the false statements you present, you talk about Scriptures whose canon was formed by those who you call "Mary worshippers", especially since that happened between the 3rd & 5th centuries.

Evidence suggests that the process of canonization occurred between 200 BC and 200 AD, and a popular position is that the Torah was canonized c. 400 BC, the Prophets c. 200 BC, and the Writings c. 100 AD perhaps at a hypothetical Council of Jamnia—however, this position is increasingly criticised by modern scholars. Biblical canon - Wikipedia

That is the second link I have given. Did you bother to check the first one?

And this third one?

Did the Catholic Church compiled the Bible?

Absolutely not. In the days of Jesus, there were a lot texts in use by the Hebrew people. These texts were written on individual scrolls and taken out by rabbis when they needed to be read publically. Jesus and his followers would have been very familiar with most of the texts available at that time.
Biblical canon - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Evidence suggests that the process of canonization occurred between 200 BC and 200 AD, and a popular position is that the Torah was canonized c. 400 BC, the Prophets c. 200 BC, and the Writings c. 100 AD perhaps at a hypothetical Council of Jamnia—however, this position is increasingly criticised by modern scholars. Biblical canon - Wikipedia

That is the second link I have given. Did you bother to check the first one?

And this third one?

Did the Catholic Church compiled the Bible?

Absolutely not. In the days of Jesus, there were a lot texts in use by the Hebrew people. These texts were written on individual scrolls and taken out by rabbis when they needed to be read publically. Jesus and his followers would have been very familiar with most of the texts available at that time.
Biblical canon - Wikipedia

Which texts? Because the Wikipedia link you sent show that the Early Christians mainly used the Septuagint which contains books Protestants reject. Also it shows one of the early councils to give a canon of the Bible was the Council of Rome 382.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Which texts? Because the Wikipedia link you sent show that the Early Christians mainly used the Septuagint which contains books Protestants reject. Also it shows one of the early councils to give a canon of the Bible was the Council of Rome 382.
Where are we now? Catholics promote Catholicism. Protestants promote Protestantism.

Each one is wrong to the other....... So, where are we now?

Some men will argue over the canonization.

But, how well do we now understand what has been canonized? Not very well from what can be seen.

That is why Jesus said....

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road
that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But the gateway to life
is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." Mat 7:13-14

Broad and wide = thousands of denominations.

Those who find the life? Find the life that Jesus came to give us

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come
that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10​

Not many Christians have found the life we can have in this lifetime. Only a few find it.

Yet all are saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,342.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Not David is neither Catholic nor Protestant, so where is your argument now?

How does that factor change what I said?

"Catholics promote Catholicism. Protestants promote Protestantism."

I am neither Catholic, nor Protestant. I made the remark.

Upvote 0