How does God view sarcasm? (is it double minded?)

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not going to say that I prided myself on my sarcasm once upon a time ago, but I had my moments. Sarcasm can be entertaining but it can also be perverse and mean spirited at times. I'm wondering if God would view our more benign instances of sarcasm in the same humorous way we view them, or if He would condemn it all the same, as being double-tongued.

This post brought to you by the letter

Psalm 39:1
Sarcasm is anger's evil cousin.

Reactions: Dove17
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon. “Baal, answer us!” they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made. At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Sarcasm is anger's evil cousin.

Sarcasm is irony's cousin. Irony is just an ad absurdum argument, saying something false just to demonstrate how foolish the idea is. Sarcasm is stating something false to show what a fool the other person is.

Incidentally, a statement can easily be intended as irony but be taken for sarcasm.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There's a great deal of sarcasm and irony in Scripture to the shame of man, but to the glory of God. I don't think sarcasm is evil in itself if it's righteous - just as not all rebuke and anger is evil, if it's used to cast out evil. Remember that Jesus literally flipped tables over in zeal :)

Saying this, I'm of the view that in most cases it's probably more fruitful to rely on longsuffering, gentleness and humility over sarcasm.

1. It's easier to win people over through kindness than aggression. Who will bring anything against you if you do good?

2. Through sarcasm, we in a way criticize and become judge. Though there is a time and place to judge, primarily within the church, we should appreciate that we are not always fit to judge because we can barely see external things, let alone internal things. In other words, as a church we have a responsibility to judge the members collectively - but at the same time, who are we to judge someone else's servant if God will make the other servant stand?

So when we use sarcasm - who do we gratify? Ourselves and the people around us, or God? If we truly love our neighbour, we will refrain from clever offensive jokes for the sake of humor, and instead deal gently with them.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Sarcasm can undoubtedly be nasty, negative and full of contempt. I find it useful as a form of understatement and parody. Mine does border on sinful sometimes, I know. Lord have mercy. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the word for sarcasm in the KJV bible is "jesting". The definition of jesting is:

"To speak or act in a joking manner."

Here is the scripture with "jesting":

"But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God."

-Ephesians 5:3-5 KJV

• Winner
Reactions: Dove17
Upvote 0

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm a big fan of sarcasm, irony, and the like.

With that being said, it's bewitchment—some even go as far as calling it sorcery as it is used, whether purposefully or not, to evoke spirits into the consciousness of both yourself and others. More often than not, sarcasm is used to make a person, place or thing appear inferior while inflating the ego of the protagonist-group. It is often composed of short, esoteric words or 'memes' that may only be known to those with the 'knowledge', granting them strength like a magical talisman. People use these and other tools to quickly build report with others and create dividing lines against outsiders as well as form bonds with those in the group—metaphysics. The Bible is against reckless speech but examples of short and cunning speech used to defeat spiritual foes on the battleground of philosophy and politics is commonplace throughout and one of our most important tools.

• Agree
Reactions: WilliamBo
Upvote 0

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like alcohol, the internet, food, etc., sarcasm can be used improperly. That's doesn't however mean that it is inherently bad.
Nothing is inherently evil in itself—but to a person who thinks it's bad, it's bad. The person who thinks sarcasm is bad, abstains in order to give glory to God. The person who doesn't think it's bad, uses it to give glory to God. What is inherently wrong is disputes among believers about whether or not it's inherently wrong.

Upvote 0

EllyGrace7

Jul 30, 2017
Melbourne
Visit site
✟9,412.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
To my understanding, we are redeemed by faith and our love of Jesus. So, we are not under the old law. Our law, our new covenant with God, stems from loving Him and loving others. If your jokes and your sarcastic remarks are meant to hurt others, well that's not love! If they're being used to communicate and connect with others - hopefully so they laugh, that is indeed a form of love. If we're loving one another, and not hating each other, God is fine and He's pleased :) I wouldn't worry too much about the small things... If anyone is struggling with understanding whether their actions are wrong or ungodly, simply ask yourself "Am I spreading the love of Jesus Christ, or am I spreading hatred?" This should be enough to let you know if you're on the right track. And if you're on the wrong track? Don't fret, simply ask the Lord for forgiveness and repent - try to avoid repeating the same mistake as best as you can, via the loving guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To my understanding, we are redeemed by faith and our love of Jesus. So, we are not under the old law. Our law, our new covenant with God, stems from loving Him and loving others. If your jokes and your sarcastic remarks are meant to hurt others, well that's not love! If they're being used to communicate and connect with others - hopefully so they laugh, that is indeed a form of love. If we're loving one another, and not hating each other, God is fine and He's pleased :) I wouldn't worry too much about the small things... If anyone is struggling with understanding whether their actions are wrong or ungodly, simply ask yourself "Am I spreading the love of Jesus Christ, or am I spreading hatred?" This should be enough to let you know if you're on the right track. And if you're on the wrong track? Don't fret, simply ask the Lord for forgiveness and repent - try to avoid repeating the same mistake as best as you can, via the loving guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Love as a principle among believers is well described in John's First Epistle.

Hebrews 7.12 says the law was changed and Hebrews 7.19 says that what we now have is better (an operative word in Hebrews) than the law.

• Agree
Reactions: EllyGrace7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like Paul's sarcasm:

I wish that those who are troubling you(concerning circumcision) would even mutilate themselves(cut the whole thing off). Gal 5:12 NASB

There was once this guy named Origen: he is MR. Allegory. He allegorized just about everything.

However, that verse he took as literal and castrated himself! :)

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Irony:

God has Adam naming the animals. One evening God brings Eve to Adam and says, "What are you going to name this one?" :)

When Adam picked his chin off the ground he said, "O'Hare!" She said, "O'Toole!" Which proves they were Irish!

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a big fan of sarcasm, irony, and the like.

With that being said, it's bewitchment—some even go as far as calling it sorcery as it is used, whether purposefully or not, to evoke spirits into the consciousness of both yourself and others. More often than not, sarcasm is used to make a person, place or thing appear inferior while inflating the ego of the protagonist-group. It is often composed of short, esoteric words or 'memes' that may only be known to those with the 'knowledge', granting them strength like a magical talisman. People use these and other tools to quickly build report with others and create dividing lines against outsiders as well as form bonds with those in the group—metaphysics. The Bible is against reckless speech but examples of short and cunning speech used to defeat spiritual foes on the battleground of philosophy and politics is commonplace throughout and one of our most important tools.

This is very well put, I agree with you. In the past, when I would get around Godly people, if I acted sarcastic about something, they made it clear real quick that THAT was NOT accepted among them... in my mind, I thought they would think my sarcastic humor was "cute" but I was wrong

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
By the way, is it fair to say that a lot of Americans don't like sarcasm? I just get that impression sometimes. My humour is very much influenced by British culture. Still two of my favourite comedians are Woody Allen and Steve Martin.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
However, that verse he took as literal and castrated himself!

(side effects of Sarcasm™ may include but are not limited to castration... talk with your doctor to see if Sarcasm™ is right for you)

• Haha
Reactions: Haipule
Upvote 0