How Do You Stop?

JoeBradley

Sep 16, 2009
✟15,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you stop being in love with the idea of being in love? It's a common problem that I fall into, but the thing of it is, I don't know how to stop it. A rather famous line from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind goes, "Why do I fall in love with every woman I see who shows me the least bit of attention?" With that said, I know that what I feel isn't an exclusive thing that I'm dealing with.

Recently, I grew interested in a friend of mine. We grew closer to each other, but right from the bat, she told me she had no interest in me outside of friendship. But this never stops me. Months go by and my feelings for her have grown fonder. Before anything could fuel, she tells me that she is moving away soon. Me, being the passionate fool I am, tries to grasp anything that we had and salvage things by telling her how I feel, etc. Sure enough, her feelings haven't changed, despite how drastic mine did. Long story short, she moved last Friday and is out of my life for an unforeseeable span of time. I'll just go ahead and put my pride on the shelf, and admit that for the last three nights I've been bawling my eyes out like an idiot. Something that I thought was tangible and ideal is now gone.

Soon, I'm faced with a stark realization that I wasn't in love with this girl and, for better or worse, I don't really miss her that much. What I do miss, however, is her presence and the notion of what might have been, although she told me that there is no "what might have been." Somehow, like so many times in the past, I've fallen in love with the idea of being in love with this person. I need to know how to stop this feeling that overcomes me every time somebody new enters my life, in order to avoid the inevitable heartbreak that comes hand in hand.

Reactions: Oddish

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I agree with BeyondAshes to an extent. I think it is easy in this world where being with someone is seen as the "be all and end all", to become obsessed with "love" or at the very least, let it become your idol.

When you realise all that can be done and accomplished in your life through Christ as a single person, you will see that being with someone is not all that it is made up to be. There are major sacrifices that have to be made when you are with someone. That is not an option...

In the meantime, pray about it. Ask the Lord to lead you and focus on Him; not some (at this time) dream girl you are wishing to meet or a relationship that is not yet in your life.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Soon, I'm faced with a stark realization that I wasn't in love with this girl and, for better or worse, I don't really miss her that much. What I do miss, however, is her presence and the notion of what might have been, although she told me that there is no "what might have been." Somehow, like so many times in the past, I've fallen in love with the idea of being in love with this person. I need to know how to stop this feeling that overcomes me every time somebody new enters my life, in order to avoid the inevitable heartbreak that comes hand in hand.
I'm faced with a slightly different situation. I've feared sometimes in the last few years that my feelings weren't genuine and that it was merely that I loved the idea, but there's too much evidence to the contrary for that to be valid. It still hurts because things haven't been resolved, and it still tortures me 5½ years later, especially when it's my dreams or certain TV shows or movies that take shots at my sense of nostalgia or romantic impulses. In the other times, it's a void that you probably could describe as being comfortably numb, except it's comfortable and painful at the same time. It's a feeling I wouldn't wish on anyone.

As far as I'm concerned, things like having feelings and experiences like this are a part of life that would be foolish to try to sweep away. It may be harsh, but it keeps you grounded and aware to an extent.

Upvote 0

Brad2009

Feb 10, 2009
USA
✟9,437.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Firstly, you're not an idiot. You just fell in romantic love with a girl who didn't love you romantically as well - which is not uncommon.

Yes, you do need to move on... please please tho brother, don't let this fester into bitterness. When I felt similarly (not exactly the same situation, but it was over a girl, or rather out of self-pity maybe) the Lord used that! I was crying (bawling) and praying and suddenly it was like He was right there with me and I was desperately grabbing back to Him for maybe the first time in my life. I don't think that I had ever given God more than just intellectual acquesence before that point... but what a difference it is to lean upon God and love God rather than to just nod in acknowledgement of Him!

Please bro, seek first God as revealed by Jesus the Christ... I promise that He's totally worthy of all your love, more than any activity or hobby or human being :)

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
THere's nothing wrong with loving love. Dude, I love love. I love feeling loved and being able to love on people and all and that in itself isn't bad. Just try to keep at the very front of your heart and center of your mind that Jesus can offer you more love than you can ever completely accept. Overabundance would be the right word... Rely on that.

Reactions: white dove
Upvote 0

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing wrong with loving love, that's true... but there is a problem with being desperate for love, or needing the love of a significant other to the point where it interferes with your judgment -- and that's what can get you into some bad situations.

For instance, out of a desperate need to have love in my life, I married my first/ex husband. Bad idea. I didn't even really love the guy, I just convinced myself that I did so I could have someone in my life who would love me. That viewpoint blinded me for a long time until the blindfold came off one day and I realized I was in a really bad situation :eek:

That's really where you have to differentiate "I want to be loved" from "I need to be loved". One isn't nearly as good as the other.

Upvote 0

BarelyBreathing

Everything is Beautiful
Sep 1, 2009
Middle of nowhere
✟18,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it is also important to learn the difference between love and lust, and also to learn what true love is and the various forms of love. There is also a difference between unselfishly loving another, and loving out of a dependent need.

1) First learn to fall in love with God.
2) Then learn to fall in love with yourself.
3) Lastly, learn to fall in love with others.

Reactions: kevlite2020
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

StarryEyes

How do you stop being in love with the idea of being in love? It's a common problem that I fall into, but the thing of it is, I don't know how to stop it. A rather famous line from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind goes, "Why do I fall in love with every woman I see who shows me the least bit of attention?" With that said, I know that what I feel isn't an exclusive thing that I'm dealing with.

Recently, I grew interested in a friend of mine. We grew closer to each other, but right from the bat, she told me she had no interest in me outside of friendship. But this never stops me. Months go by and my feelings for her have grown fonder. Before anything could fuel, she tells me that she is moving away soon. Me, being the passionate fool I am, tries to grasp anything that we had and salvage things by telling her how I feel, etc. Sure enough, her feelings haven't changed, despite how drastic mine did. Long story short, she moved last Friday and is out of my life for an unforeseeable span of time. I'll just go ahead and put my pride on the shelf, and admit that for the last three nights I've been bawling my eyes out like an idiot. Something that I thought was tangible and ideal is now gone.

I can totally relate.

Upvote 0

LadyL

Sep 25, 2009
Heaven bound
✟12,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really think you are speaking more of infatuation.
But that's just my opinion and yes, it's happened to me. Won't go into why I think it happens with me, but I'm so glad that you are recognizing this, that's a good sign.

Maybe God is showing you some things here. I'd pay attention.

Upvote 0

JoeBradley

Sep 16, 2009
✟15,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This topic is over. Through some self-discovery, I've found that it was unrequited love and that I behaved like a jackass towards her. I've made a formal apology to her over my actions and she has done me right by forgiving me. Now I can move on and learn from the mistakes that I've made. Sorry to get everyone who replied involved, but the thoughts and insight were much appreciated.

My final statements and advice: Don't force your feelings on somebody else who doesn't feel the same way. You're only disrespecting their feelings in the end and basically showing that your feelings are superior to theirs.

Upvote 0

CoreyO

Mar 18, 2008
✟8,369.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Love does not force itself on others" - 1 Corinthians 13:5 (The Message)

It all comes down to that.

I have struggled with the same "unrequited love", and it's hard, but what has helped me is to bring myself back down to "unconditional love", not romantic love. Easier said than done, and I still struggle with that distinction sometimes, but it comes down to loving as Jesus loved. Jesus would love someone even if they didn't love them, but in that brotherly way. I think moving from romantic to brotherly has been the best thing I've found do deal with this kind of situation and it's worked so far. :) Just my $.02

Upvote 0

Lange

Dec 7, 2009
North Carolina
✟15,315.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hey,

It sounds like you might be a bit needy and have a slight problem with finding happiness in yourself. Someone else can't make you happy.

It may be time to just "do you" for while.

If you don't, it won't be fair to yourself or the girl/guy you end up with.

Regards

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LadyL

Sep 25, 2009
Heaven bound
✟12,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This topic is over. Through some self-discovery, I've found that it was unrequited love and that I behaved like a jackass towards her. I've made a formal apology to her over my actions and she has done me right by forgiving me. Now I can move on and learn from the mistakes that I've made. Sorry to get everyone who replied involved, but the thoughts and insight were much appreciated.

My final statements and advice: Don't force your feelings on somebody else who doesn't feel the same way. You're only disrespecting their feelings in the end and basically showing that your feelings are superior to theirs.
:clap: WOW. The crazy thing is that I was talking about this last night with a few friends. I had a crush on someone and once I really learned about there situation, I felt so selfish for even putting them in an uncomfortable position.

I hope he can forgive me for that. I behaved like a silly little girl and it was all about making sure I wasn't uncomfortable, didn't think about his feelings until after I told him how I felt.
You're not alone.

Upvote 0