How do you respond to "Christians are hypocrites"?

Ing Bee

Son of Encouragement
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2018
East Bay
✟78,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When sharing the faith every so often as we are called to do it can't be uncommon to encounter the phrase "I'm not a Christian because all Christians are hypocrites" or something similar.

How do you refocus the conversation away from negativity and back on promoting the gospel in a positive way?

For myself, I have to nod and agree and respect that they feel this way before going on about my own experience with the gospel and how it's completely changed my life, hoping that they will respect in kind.

How do you demonstrate to acquaintances that Christians aren't all hypocrites?

You could point out that it was Jesus who first coined the term "hypocrite" in the negative sense we now use it. Previously, it was simply used to describe greek actors who wore masks.

Jesus called out religious people who said one thing but whose lives showed something els. It seems they agree with Jesus.

Ask if they think you are hypocritical and why they say that?

Ask if other people (not Christians) are ever hypocritical? Is hypocrisy a Christians-only thing or a human thing?

Discuss why people are inconsistent? That's a great lead-in to sin which is what Jesus came to defeat.

Point out that Jesus never lied ("no deceit was found in his mouth"). Would someone like that be worth trusting and following, even if you did it imperfectly?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When you have higher moral ideals most probably you will fail to keep them. The solution isn't to be branded a hypocrite, that's a given, but to continue striving in advance of living to those higher ideals. So when I am told Christians are hypocrites in some general or vague sense I have to wonder who is not a hypocrite and not an utter cynic or nihilist.

Upvote 0

Unnamed Guy

Nov 27, 2018
Los Algodones, CA
✟20,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
First you need to learn the business yourself.

In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.

2 Timothy 4:
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

• Informative
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First you need to learn the business yourself.

In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.

2 Timothy 4:
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Also, " being Christian" became the social standard instead of the social exception. So with everyone "being Christian" for the sake of social acceptance, it obviously meant that most "Christians" were never followers of Christ at all because "small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

People did not see the sad irony of boasting that the majority of Americans were Christian.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When sharing the faith every so often as we are called to do it can't be uncommon to encounter the phrase "I'm not a Christian because all Christians are hypocrites" or something similar.

Point them to christian examples who are, obviously, not hypocritical ... for instance, those who spend their lives in mission ministry, etc.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Point them to christian examples who are, obviously, not hypocritical ... for instance, those who spend their lives in mission ministry, etc.

They can point to non-Christians who are even better.

Here is the problem that modern Western Christians face:

Raising Children Without the Concept of Sin

The notion of sin dominated my girlhood. Raised in Indiana by fundamentalist parents, sin was the inflexible yardstick by which I was measured. Actions, words, even thoughts weren’t safe from scrutiny. The list of sinful offenses seemed infinite: listening to secular music or watching secular television, saying “gosh” or “darn” or “jeez,” questioning authorities, envying a friend’s rainbow array of Izod shirts. God was a megaphone bleating in my head: “You’re bad, you’re bad, you’re bad!” I had recurring nightmares of malevolent winds tornado-ing through my bedroom — a metaphor, I now realize, for an invisible and vindictive god.
And after years of living a “secular” life, I realized that my notion of sin has evolved. As a girl, my focus was on gaining admittance to heaven. Now I believe that this life is the only life we’ll know; this planet, our only existence. I am no longer motivated by fear of an unproven hell, but by real-world concerns about injustice and inequality.

Most Americans know something about how Christianity is practiced here and know they don't like how it's practiced.

Moreover, they already have a moral system that they've fully rationalized in their minds and are completely happy with it.

Those who are truly happy with that--and that will be most people--are not our audience.

The people who are our audience are those who have been enabled by the Father. The Holy Spirit will have discomfited them in ways that are likely not visible to the eye.

Those people will be drawn not by fancy theological arguments against the moral bulwark they have built, but by the words of Jesus.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

That's why these song lyrics can work when fancy theological arguments do not. It doesn't try to batter down their barricades, but pierces the spot the Holy Spirit has already made tender:

I keep fighting voices in my mind that say I’m not enough
Every single lie that tells me I will never measure up
Am I more than just the sum of every high and every low?
Remind me once again just who I am, because I need to know (ooh oh)

You say I am loved when I can’t feel a thing
You say I am strong when I think I am weak
You say I am held when I am falling short
When I don’t belong, oh You say that I am Yours
And I believe (I), oh I believe (I)
What You say of me (I)
I believe

The only thing that matters now is everything You think of me
In You I find my worth, in You I find my identity, (ooh oh)

And You say I am held when I am falling short
What You say of me (I)
Oh, I believe

Taking all I have and now I'm laying it at Your feet
You have every failure God, and You'll have every victory, (ooh oh)

You say I am held when I am falling short
What You say of me (I)
I believe

Oh I believe (I), yes I believe (I)
What You say of me (I)
Oh I believe (oh)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

One pastor responded to this statement: "Don't worry about it! There's always room for one more!"

This might not be the best way to engage someone who complains of Christian hypocrisy, but it did make me smile. Anyway, you could point out that if a person wants to be able to properly assess, say, the music of Mozart, they don't find the worst, but the best, renditions of his music by which to do so. It would be...strange for a person to listen to a sixth-grade music band squawking and hooting it's way through Mozart's music and then say, "Hah! Mozart sucked as a composer and musician!" No, the best way to judge Mozart's ability as a composer would be to find the finest philharmonic orchestra playing Mozart's music and from it's rendition of his music assess his musical prowess.

The same is true of assessing Christianity. It is at least unreasonable - if not downright foolish - to look at the worst examples of Christianity one can find and declare a judgment upon the religion. Christianity cannot be properly critiqued by examination of those within its ranks who live in contradiction to its principles, precepts and ethics. No, the very best example of Christianity is found in Christ himself and it is by studying him that the faith might be best evaluated.

How do you refocus the conversation away from negativity and back on promoting the gospel in a positive way?

By pointing out the unreasonableness of the criticism. Often, though, when a person throws up this sort of unthinking objection, they are demonstrating just how determined they are to see Christianity in the poorest light possible. You aren't likely to have a very productive talk with a person like this. But, God can do amazing things, though, right? This is why I always pray my way through conversations about the Gospel with people who don't know the Lord.

I think the most you can say is that Christians aren't always hypocritical in their behaviour and are learning to be more and more consistent in living out their faith as time goes on.

The charge of hypocrisy can be leveled against everyone - Christian and non-Christian. It's just that, in the case of the Christian, there is an objective public standard by which they might be assessed. Not so, the non-Christian who can slip and slide around the charge of hypocrisy because they don't have such a standard to which we can all hold them accountable.

• Winner
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Make sure our words and our deeds are in perfect alignment, practice what we preach. Use your words sparingly, be slow to speak and quick to listen. God Bless :)

Last edited:
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One pastor responded to this statement: "Don't worry about it! There's always room for one more!"

This might not be the best way to engage someone who complains of Christian hypocrisy, but it did make me smile.

Hello aiki. I have heard that phrase used before. It gives a very condescending impression and will probably reinforce the person's jaundiced view that Christians are smug. In my experience if someone is hurting then listening to them is an excellent first step. God Bless :)

Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

For myself, I have to nod and agree and respect that they feel this way before going on about my own experience with the gospel and how it's completely changed my life, hoping that they will respect in kind.

By not worrying about it and going about my life to the best of my ability. I don’t represent (nor do I pretend to) represent all Christians. I represent myself and my relationship with God, not the whole of the Christian Faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It gives a very condescending impression and will probably reinforce the person's jaundiced view that Christians are smug.

I wrote: "This might not be the best way to engage someone who complains of Christian hypocrisy..."

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Usually I understand they won't accept anything I say. But if I detect they could be interested I tell them to read the Bible and not consider the actions of people.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

How do you refocus the conversation away from negativity and back on promoting the gospel in a positive way?...

I would say: It is true that many are hypocrite and it is not good. However, if Christians are not perfect, it doesn’t mean that the message Jesus declared is not good and right.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think that kind of witnessing to people is helpful. You might feel it is your religious duty but unless you have a great deal of sensitivity, you can do alot of harm.

Personally, I think the supposed moral superiority or sanctity of Christians is not exactly something I would be counting on to persuade anybody.

"God won't let you hide behind another's perceived faithlessness."

I don't see this as helpful in a modern context. This image of God, as a punishing, capricious judge looking for thought crimes, is incoherent and empty to the average non-Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0