HERTFORDSHIRE
✟10,195.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
This may seem like a really childish question that I have asked but could you tell me why you believe that God is really there or that there is actually a God?

Ok you can say we have the Bible, that to me is not proof as this could of been written by anyone, it does have an unknown author.

I dont know anyone who witnessed Jesus walking the earth.

Then there is God Himself. I dont even know where to start with this.

Do you believe because you have a family who believe and everything they have taught you from an early age has had an affect on you?

I feel sometimes that Im trying to live a christian faith because thats what we are meant to do because I was told stories about God and creation and why Jesus came to the earth to save us from our sins. Could somebody of made the whole story up? Someone who loves mankind that much that he/she didnt want everyone to suffer?

I want to believe all this is real because I would love to live an eternal life in heaven with someone who loves me unconditionally.

My life is a mess and I cant seem to change it around even when I know I could believe that Jesus the son of God can help me.

Just knowing that someone who watches over me and protects me should build my faith and that should also help me with difficult situations but its not. I thought I would be one of those people who would believe without seeing, Please tell me how you guys do it and how you truly believe God and Jesus is real.
If I pray, I feel my prayers are bouncing off walls and going nowhere, if I repent, its just a word to someone I cant see so how can I feel that forgiveness. I might as well be talking to my laptop as I seem to get more answers because there are real people on here.

Please dont say the devil is after me because Im doing some really deep searching here.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do not berate yourself for asking what is a very normal question.

I would say, that at first, I certainly believed in God because I was raised to do so. However, as I got older, I also had experiences that couldn't be explained as anything other than an affirmation that there was a spiritual world out there. This didn't stop me from questioning just as you are doing though. I never could shake the idea of there being a God, when all was said and done. We have the natural world to look to. I believe that it affirms the idea of a creator. Also, think of other things that we take for granted as existing, yet we can't prove, such as feelings and emotions. We can only see the effects of these things, not that they actually exist.

However, once you move past this, we can say that God exists and we can now 'see' Him due to the incarnation of Christ. Not only that, but baptized Christians who partake of the sacraments of Christ's Holy Church literally have Christ in them. It was seeing the risen Christ which convinced St. Thomas, after all.

I'll leave you with a few quotes that seem pertinent to the topic at hand.

Before anything else one must believe in God, "that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him" (Hebrews 11:6). -St Seraphim of Sarov - Spiritual Instructions

"For behold, all our lofty doctrines, how destitute they are of reasonings, and dependent on faith alone. God is not anywhere, and is everywhere. What has less reason than this (What idea makes less logical sense)? He was not made, He did not make Himself, He never began to be. What reasoning will receive this if there is no faith?" -St. John the Chrysostom

Abraham passed through all the reasoning that is possible to human nature about the divine attributes, and after he had purified his mind of all such concepts, he took hold of a faith that was unmixed and pure of any concept, and he fashioned for himself this token of knowledge of God that is completely clear and free of error, namely the belief that God completely transcends any knowable symbol. And so, after this ecstasy which came upon him as a result of these lofty visions, Abraham returned one more to his human frailty: `I am,' he admits (Gen. 18:27), `dust and ashes,' mute, inert, incapable of explaining rationally the Godhead that my mind has seen. -St. Gregory of Nyssa, From Glory to Glory

But some one will say, If the Divine substance is incomprehensible, why then do you discourse on these things? So then, because I cannot drink up all the river, an I not even to take in moderation what is expedient for me? Because with eyes so constituted as mine I cannot take in all the sun, am I not even to look upon him enough to satisfy my wants? Or again, because I have entered into a great garden, and cannot eat all the supply of fruits, would you have me go away altogether hungry? I praise and glorify Him Who made us; for it is a divine command which says, 'Let every breath praise the Lord' (Ps. 150:6). I am attempting now to glorify the Lord, but not to describe Him, knowing nevertheless that I shall fall short of glorifying Him worthily, yet deeming it a work of piety even to attempt it at all. -St. Cyril of Jerusalem (Catechetical Lectures: Lecture 6 no. 5)

God is comprehensible in our contemplation of His attributes [or divine energies], but God is incomprehensible in our contemplation of His divine essence." -St. Maximus the Confessor(Cent. On Charity, IV, 7, trans. Pegon, Sources Chretiennes 9, p.153)

Belief is a matter of dying for Christ and His commandments. It is believing that such a death is life-giving. It is to count poverty as riches, and to consider the lowest humiliation as true honor and nobility. Faith is believing that when one has nothing, one has everything. More than this, it is to possess the incomprehensible riches of the knowledge of Christ and to look upon all visible things as but clay and smoke. St. Symeon the New Theologian, The Practical and Theological Chapters

The problem of our life is union with God, and sin completely prevents this; therefore flee from sin as from a terrible enemy, as from the destroyer of the soul, because to be without God is death and not life. Let us therefore understand our destination; let us always remember that our common Master calls us to union with Himself. -St. John of Kronstadt (My Life in Christ, Part 1; Holy Trinity Monastery pg. 20)

If you wish to save your soul and win eternal life, arise from your lethargy, make the sign of the Cross and say: In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. Faith comes not through pondering but through action. Not words and speculation but experience teaches us what God is. To let in fresh air we have to open a window; to get tanned we must go out into the sunshine. Achieving faith is no different; we never reach a goal by just sitting in comfort and waiting, say the Holy Fathers. Let the Prodigal Son be our example. He "arose and came" (Luke 15:20). -Tito Colliander The Way of the Ascetics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRp4UQQbRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmiDev34LgQ

Upvote 0

praisehimalleluia

Amazing Grace
Aug 18, 2009
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please read the book of Job. Ponder on his life and trials he faced, simply because he had faith in God. Its a normal thing that Satan shakes us and we cannot judge anyone when they seek answers.

I was a seeker myself. Searching for the truth. What really triggered my mind in His existence is a simple life incident. Let me share this with you.

I had always believed in God without seeing God, of course. Perhaps that is called faith, but its hard to measure faith, on its depth and how good our faith is in the Lord.

One day some time long ago, my mom called me and cried out that she has misplaced or even lost $10,000 just like that. She told me that she kept it in her cupboard and that particular day, after everyone left for work, she was getting ready to head to the bank. She brought out the money and left it below her pillow. She wanted to pay the house instalment which was a few months to settle the final payments. She freaked out when after cooking, she decided to head to the bank to settle the payment, when she went in to fetch the money, but to her surprise the money was not there at all! Not under the very same pillow she kept below just an hour ago!!

She rang me up. I was working and there was no one at home except for mom. She cried loud as in fear that my dad will scream at her for this.

I told mom to go to her room and plead to Christ. Simply cry out to the Lord to reveal a miracle or open her eyes to where the money is. She was not having faith. She always prayed but did not have faith that miracles can happen. She told me it was ridiculous. I told her I have faith. I asked her to just go to her room and pray. Then call me up, and tell me what happened.

She did exactly what I said. This time, she rang me up within 5 mins and screamed the money was right below the very same pillow she laid under this morning. But it was shocking all the time she checked the whole bed, including the pillows, and covers, and every single thing in her room and could not find the money!!! But this was a miracle to her. She was shouting with joy that God does hear us. I was happy she experienced it.

To me, I myself experienced all these little miracles that made me rejoice in such a loving God. I think if you put ur mind to ask, He will show you something that will make you trust Him even more. Just ask Him, with all your heart.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
This may seem like a really childish question that I have asked but could you tell me why you believe that God is really there or that there is actually a God?

Ok you can say we have the Bible, that to me is not proof as this could of been written by anyone, it does have an unknown author.

Do you believe because you have a family who believe and everything they have taught you from an early age has had an affect on you?

I feel sometimes that Im trying to live a christian faith because thats what we are meant to do because I was told stories about God and creation and why Jesus came to the earth to save us from our sins. Could somebody of made the whole story up? Someone who loves mankind that much that he/she didnt want everyone to suffer?

I want to believe all this is real because I would love to live an eternal life in heaven with someone who loves me unconditionally.

My life is a mess and I cant seem to change it around even when I know I could believe that Jesus the son of God can help me.

Just knowing that someone who watches over me and protects me should build my faith and that should also help me with difficult situations but its not. I thought I would be one of those people who would believe without seeing, Please tell me how you guys do it and how you truly believe God and Jesus is real.
If I pray, I feel my prayers are bouncing off walls and going nowhere, if I repent, its just a word to someone I cant see so how can I feel that forgiveness. I might as well be talking to my laptop as I seem to get more answers because there are real people on here.

Please dont say the devil is after me because Im doing some really deep searching here.

Well, for me it started as a 5 year old boy in terrible despair. I asked Jesus to help, and He did. Since then, I've experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit. He taught me about obedience, and other truths. Years ago, I decided to start asking Him to lead me, and I decided to declare that I yield myself to His influence. Then, everything changed - I became a new man. So many times, I would have been dead, when He would intercede. Sometimes He would warn me, and then He'd shown me what would have happened had I not obeyed. His presence is with me every day of my life. He mentors and guides me. He shows me the most wonderful love. It is so real. He does indeed make all the difference. So, I'd say, start talking to Him. Ask Him to lead, guide and teach you. We have to ask for His leadership. That's the secret.:amen:

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Accepting Christ is a very personal choice as you see the world is suffering in poverty and violence, and you wonder why God allowed his curse of suffering to happen to everyone since Adam and Eve sinned in the garden of Eden. It does not make sense that punishment should spread out to all of us even to those who would be born in the future. If God is teaching us sin then it is logical that suffering must be felt and not just learning through our eyes and ears, as sin is such a difficult subject to understand through study only. Accepting Christ is the only answer to renew our bodies in heaven once we have sent our bodies back to dust on Earth. You can't judge a book by it's cover - is a quote that reminds athiests that there are families and friends who have secretly accepted Jesus Christ, living there lives as disguised athiests who are worried that anger, rejection or violence could happen to them. It is a mission for Christians as courageous ambassadors of God to bring non-Christians to Christ. A poor Christian in debt is not measured by his net worth but by his spiritual worth. A Christian shows immense power in healing from God. Pastor Benny Hinn acts like a lightning conductor as he receives the holy spirit through him, touching the people in the auditorium who have never experienced God's healing. Old age is an incurable spiritual curse and accepting Christ is the only answer to live a new life in heaven free from sin that causes disease and dishonesty.
:liturgy:
:cool:

Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not a childish question. God is a great mystery that our little human minds have difficulty comprehending. I have offered you my input below. I fear it is kind of long - had to post twice lol..but I pray it helps.

In my younger day I used to think this too. I also experienced different religions all claiming the same Bible (KJV) was true but each held different interpretations of exact same scripture. Some even believed there were Holy sources outside the bible which does not square with Rev 22:18,19. Then I read verses that really scared me like 2 Corinth 11:13-15, II Thess 2:4, I Peter 4:17, Gal 1:8-9, Matt 8:15-24, and 2 Tim 4:3 and no one could explain these to me to my satisfaction. Then I went off to college and only went to church on Christmas, Easter and maybe a Sunday now and then. But in times of stress and sadness I always seemed to turn to the bible for help through scriptures relating to what I was experiencing and somehow life went on.

Now I understand that the fact is that God wrote the Bible through holy men of old (Jeremiah 36:2, II Samuel 23:1-2) over a period of 1500 yrs. Many different scribes and yet, when properly understood, there are no contradictions in the Bible. Only God could have done this. God is merciful and wants us to understand our dreadful situation with him. So he gave us his word so we all can learn from it and not rely on other prideful humans to relay his message and warnings or magical acts to mystify and entice us .

The fulfillment and fulfilling of prophecy. One of the benefits we have living today is that we can look back and see this. When seashells and fossils are found at the tops of mountains we know this was a result of the flood. In Job 26:7, there is a modern description of the earth as it spins in empty space. This was written about 3,000 years B.C. This description is in sharp contrast to the fantastic imaginary notions which the rest of the world taught or believed at that time. In support of Job 26:7, Isaiah 40:22 points out that God sits upon "the circle of the earth." The earth would appear as a "circle" to all those who lived on it only if it were a sphere. Isaiah 40 matches the description in Job 26 and supports its accurate statement, which is what we can expect from the Bible. In Genesis 15:20 a people called the "Hittites" are mentioned. For centuries, people laughed at the Bible for making up a whole group of people. But a few decades ago, the ruins of a city located in the country of Turkey, north of present-day Israel, was discovered which proved to be the ruins of a main Hittite city. The prophet Isaiah talks about the Persian king Cyrus (Isaiah 45:1), who would eventually restore the nation of Judah. Persia was a great kingdom, located in what is now the country of Iran. Isaiah wrote during the reign of the Judaean king Hezekiah, who died in 687 B.C., but Cyrus did not begin to reign as king of the Persian empire until after 600 B.C., more than 80 years after Isaiah left the scene. Only God could know the name of the man who would be the Persian king before he sat on the throne.

We can also look at the history of national Israel and see it all described in the Bible.
In Mark 13 and Matt 24 Jesus talks about a fig tree being in leaf again but not bearing any fruit. The phrase “fig tree,” relates to national Israel (Hosea 9:10, Joel 1:7, Jer 24:3-5). In A.D. 70, Israel was destroyed by the Roman Titus, and they did not have a homeland again until 1948. In 1948, they became a nation, that is, the fig tree is in leaf; it looks like a viable fruit tree, but there is no fruit. They are as adamant about their opposition to Christ as the Messiah as they were at any time in their history. In one incident, Jesus cursed the fig tree (Matthew Chapter 21:18-20): This indicates that national Israel will never again bear (spiritual) fruit; as a nation, they will never turn to Christ. Their hearts were hardened (Matt 23:37-39). Because of their rebellion God allowed Israel to be destroyed both spiritually and physically (Luke 19:41-44). But there is a remnant chosen by grace. The prophecy of the fig tree being in leaf has been fulfilled in our day and is a warning that the last day is approaching.

We can also look around and see the things coming true that were described in Daniel 7 & 9, Matt 24 and Rev 13 (to name only a few) all about increasing wickedness through false prophets (Mark 13:14, II Peter 2:1-3, Thessalonians 2:1-4) and false gospels. We can understand why judgment starts in the house of God (I Peter 4:17). We also know that the end will not come until the Gospel message is in all the world (Matthew 24:14). Today the message is rapidly being spread throughout the world by TV, radio, internet, satellite…)
Take a look at life all around us. From tiny cells, plant life and of course humans. Everything was designed to function in the environment in which it lives. All this could not have randomly occurred.

Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In respopnse to the rest of your questions...
As I mentioned, I experienced a few different denominations, went to Sunday school, sang psalms and went caroling but looking back, I truly believe the significant impact on me came from the bible and God working through it. Now, I did not realize this growing up and took for granted the many blessings I had been given and really never thanked God for anything. Nor did I do much for Him. But then one day he chastised me about 8 years ago. This was a very difficult time for me and my family, almost losing all the comfort and security God had given us. This drove me deeper into the bible and I prayed everyday more sincerely then I ever thought possible. I was truly broken and humbled. I did not expect or demand anything but just pleaded for help. I exhausted all resources available in this world and had no where to turn. We were on the edge of being homeless when one day 3 years later things changed when I got a significantly less paying job but enabled me to just meet the demands of our debts. I continued in prayer, bible study and starting using all the time and money I could to get God’s word out there while praising Him and thanking him. I was content but then one day “out of the blue” I was contact by a new company looking for someone with my exact experience which paid more than I ever made before. Now I have a much greater understanding of spiritual things, I know what is truly important and absolutely trust in The Lord 100% and thank him everyday for all he has given me, including the ability to significantly use the skills, and resources He has given me to help get his message out into the world. During this time I also lost interest sinful things that used to bring pleasure and I truly feel terrible whenever I fall into any sin.
I feel sometimes that Im trying to live a christian faith because thats what we are meant to do because I was told stories about God and creation and why Jesus came to the earth to save us from our sins.
We should try to live a good moral Christian life but we must never think that we will be saved because of what we are doing. Salvation is not of works but by the grace of God alone
Could somebody of made the whole story up? Someone who loves mankind that much that he/she didnt want everyone to suffer?
God’s salvation plan is described in so many situations, examples and historical events and on many different levels throughout the entire bible that it could not be made up. Even looking at nature we can see life, death and re-birth all around us with the changing seasons.

That’s great but, it’s not about what we want. We have to truly love him unconditionally. He wants us to trust completely in him alone and wait on him for our salvation.
Perhaps, God is working in your life to bring you closer to Himself. He chastises those he loves to correct them (Psalm 94:10, Heb12). My advice it to truly surrender to the will of God and seek help and direction from Him. Do not just think that because you “believe” he will help. The devils believe (Mark 1:24,Luke 4:34), they know God exists but they will not be saved. God works through his word and true belief or faith will come after he changes your heart. You have to truly trust in God alone and not expect any help because of anything you are doing or trying to do.

Again, it’s not about what you think should happen. The only thing we can expect in this life is sin and difficult times. We only truly believe after God works within us. All anyone can do is pray for help, mercy and understanding. God will not grow weary of us calling on Him. Unfortunately, we tend to give up too quickly. We think God should answer us within a certain amount of time. But he works to his own schedule. His ways are not ours. We absolutely have to patient and never demand or expect anything from God.
You have to be patient and wait on the Lord (Psalm 62:1,5, Prov 20:22). You also have to be humble and submit to whatever his will is for you. Spend time in prayful reading of the bible but never, ever, ever, ever, ever expect something of God or think you have done something to win his approval

Praise God for his love and mercy

Upvote 0

awosan

Nov 29, 2009
✟15,129.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do believe in God because I grew up in a Christian family.
I believe in God based on their experiences with God.
I felt like if it worked for them, it would work for me, and now I believe it does work for me.

It's just like your mom told you to brush your teeth everyday.
You brush your teeth now because you saw that her teeth were nice and sparkly and you want your teeth to be that way.

The only reason why God doesn't "feel" there is because you might push Him to the back of your mind.

You need to seriously, seriously focus on His presence. Imagine Him sitting on His throne. Imagine an abundance of clouds. Imagine anything that you may think God is and be humbled by His presence. Get on your knees if you have to. Cry.

Just think of Him totally as if He were standing right before you.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"Accepting" Christ isn't a choice. Rejecting Christ is.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
First, I will give you a variety of sources to go to. Visit: www.TheBibleProofBook.com, read The Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell (this would stand up in a court of law concerning overwhelming evidence of the bible). Josh started to try to prove the bible wasn't true, but it backfired on him and he is now a christian. Also, read Examine the Evidence by Muncaster (a former athiest). I have studied other religions and books-and none have the attributes of the bible remotely. It could only have been written by God using imperfect men.

Biblical Circumstantial Evidence (Scratching the Surface Only)

Internal Evidences
Prophesies that are confirmed within Bible

- Life of Christ
The Tribe of Judah, Gen 49:10 - Luke 3:23-28
(Genesis was written 4004 BC to 1689 BC)
(Luke's time period is 60-70 AD)

Royal Line of David, Jer 23:5 -Matt 1:1
(Jeremiah 760 to 698 BC)/(Matthew 60-70 AD)

Born of a Virgin, Isaiah 7:14/Matt 1:18-23
(Isaiah 760 to 698 BC)/(60-70 AD)

**I can list at least 20 more of these.
-Rise of Empires
In the book of Daniel, Chapter 2 - four kingdoms are described in the interpretation of the dream of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greek - Daniel 8:21, 10:20) and a fourth great kingdom to follow - part iron and clay - which is the Roman Empire - during this empire Christ came and the church was established - Daniel 2:44.

-Historical Accuracy
The Bible is loaded with historical statements concerning events hundreds of years ago, yet has not been proven incorrect on any.
(Bible compared to other ancient documents):
New Testament - starts at 25 years - between original and first surviving copies
Homer - starts at 500 years
Demosthenes - at 1400 years
Plato - at 1200 years
Caesar - at 1000 years

Number of Manuscript Copies
New Testament - 5,686
Homer - 643
Demosthenes - 200
Plato - 7
Caesar - 10

Consistency
Written by at least 40 men over a period of time exceeding 1400 years, and has no internal inconsistencies.

Claim of Inspiration
It claims to be spoken by God, 2 Tim 3:16-17). No other religious book makes such claims.

External Evidences
(Prophesies Outside the Bible)
These cities were prophesied to be destroyed and never be built again.
Nineveh - Nahum 1:10, 3:7,15, Zephaniah 2:13-14
Babylon - Isaiah 13:1-22)
Tyre (Ezekiel 26:1-28)

Bible before Science
He hangs the earth on nothing - Job 26:7
(Job was written at least 1000 years ago - some scholars think it could be even 3000 years ago)
Note: Man only knew this for 350 years
Earth is a sphere, Isaiah 40:22
Air has weight, Job 28:25
Gravity - Job 26:7, Job 38:31-33
Winds blow in cyclones, Eccl 1:6

Documents that Prove Bible is True
Gilgamesh Epic, The Sumerian King List, Mari Tablets, Babylonian Chronicles

Archealogoical Finds
Excavations of Ur, Location of Zoar, Ziggurats and the foundation of Tower of Babel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

--->Childish? OH please. I think we all ask this far into our lives. :)

----> Not unknown really, but yes they were human.

--->True

---->Absolutely. The effect was that I believed instantly and then as I got older I ran away from Him like nobody's business. ;)

I feel sometimes that Im trying to live a christian faith because thats what we are meant to do because I was told stories about God and creation and why Jesus came to the earth to save us from our sins. Could somebody of made the whole story up?

---->Possibly.

Someone who loves mankind that much that he/she didnt want everyone to suffer?

--->Maybe

--->Then you at least have the door opening to recieve what answers you might be seeking. :)

Please dont say the devil is after me because Im doing some really deep searching here

---> The devil attacks in many ways, but sometimes we are our own worst enemies. ;) Let me explain my story in short.

I've always believed, whether because it was taught to me, when I was desperate to believe in SOMETHING good, or when I finally gave in and handed everything over to God. Sometimes we think we've done that, and we really haven't. We may have laid down our problems and wishes at His feet, but we haven't let go of the reigns in our hands that they are attatched to. I don't think there's really any "manual" out there that says how to give that control over, or as someone put it to me, to finally trust in God. When that happens my friend, a world is opened up to you that you could only have wondered about. The comfort comes, the healing begins, and the revelations are almost too much to try and keep up with.
I pray that you give your heart up completely to Him and ask God to take it all away. I pray that your heart become an open door and a clean slate with you being willing to recieve what he has in store for you. I don't know the words to tell you how to get there. All I can share is to seek Him earnestly and believe 110% that He is real. You are doubting, even if it's just a little bit, and that can hinder things. Sometimes events bring us to the point of surrender. I don't know what His plans are for you, but I pray that you become hungry enough to seek them out. Things will start to make sense. You will feel His presence. No one can do this for you, and no one can really explain it until you have gotten there.

God Bless you, and keep asking. Keep searching. Keep that door open. I pray that all this confusion, God will set right with you.

Upvote 0

jho

Nov 30, 2009
Pennsylvania
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey sister, I'm really thankful for you sharing this question! I know where you're coming from, there were so many nights where I just struggled deep down with that question. For me before I became a Christian I didn't grow up in a Christian household, I grew up with no specific stance on if there was a God or not.

There's a lot of different ways you can answer your question. I'll just share one that helped me when I first started growing in my faith. I thought long and hard and a lot of times I honestly thought that it was really silly that God wouldn't just show up right in front of our face to show that He's real. Why does he have to reveal it in a book?

Then I started to think about how Christianity developed. And I started to do a little research. And the thing that always struck me were the disciples and the history of testimonies from all the saints since Jesus was "supposedly" on earth (which I do fully believe btw). I believe there is enough evidence that supports that there was a historical person by the name of Jesus that did walk on the earth 2000 years ago.

And the thing that always got to me were the lives of his closest followers. If it was a fake movement ... if Jesus really died and was not resurrected, wouldn't at some point one of his followers give up? Why live such hard lives for a false belief? Why give up their lives? I mean I've heard myths about Peter being threatened with his wife being killed in front of him if they didn't renounce their faith (I don't think it's too far from the truth of what happened to many of those early martyrs). And the one thing that kept striking me is that the disciples fully believed that Jesus not only came back to life, but that He was Emmanuel (God with us) walking in flesh, and that they were to be His great witnesses.

Of course you make a valid statement that as of right now there is no one on earth who has physically seen Jesus with their own eyes. But we take the validity of testimonies all the time. You don't need to be from the 1800s to know the Civil War occurred. It was recorded down. We believe it had reliable witnesses.

I believe Christianity also has reliable witnesses. First with the Bible itself, but then there are Josephus, Tacitus, & other non-biblical sources (you can check Wikipedia with some of those).

But ultimately what convinced me more than any man or philosophy or anybody was just getting down to earth and reading one on one with God in the Bible. Just staring at it and searching through it and testing it in my heart. I hope you can accept the Bible as its own testimony. You don't need any philosophy or theology to interpret the Bible, the Bible can interpret itself. I hope that God gives you the faith to accept and believe this.

Keep searching sister. Don't give up. God's not done with you yet. :)

Upvote 0