How do you REALLY, HONESTLY feel about your opponents on this board.

How do you TRULY and HONESTLY feel about your opponents in this forum?

• I [b]despise[/b] them (or some of them).

• I dislke them (or some of them).

• Some of them are OK as people, but I disagree with their views.

• I can separate my feelings about the person and what they believe.

• I like most of them and I can agree to disagree with people who do not share my views.

• I can honestly say I like everybody on the board.

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
K

Kirilov

UnitedInChrist said:
Hey Kirilov, I like that you're posting here, but you do need to be a bit more careful. I'd hate for you to get kicked out, b/c I truly believe the only way one learns anything, is when the interact with those that are not like themselves. You say you aren't a Christian..yet you come to a Christian Only thread. I find that to be encouraging b/c there must be something that intersts you. Not to convert you or anything like that..but perhaps you may learn somethings. Hopefully not from some of the less than hospitable people on here (you know who they are).but from those that value you as an athiest..and just want to perhaps enlighten you if at all possible. So hang around...but don't get too sarcastic just yet...peace.

Hi UnitedInChrist, thanks for your accepting words, I appreciate that, since I know I'm taking a liberty. There is certainly plenty that interests me to make me come here, although, you're right, it would take something pretty special to convert me.

However, I have to be honest....the post you quoted wasn't intended to be at all sarcastic. It was just what I genuinely thought had happened! And still do. I'm not trying to be a martyr or anything, I just assume that sooner or later I'll have to be banned. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying swimming in this soup of opinions!

Oh, and I generally call myself an agnostic. ;)

Upvote 0

IamRedeemed

Blessed are the pure in Heart, they shall see God.
May 18, 2007
Visit site
✟24,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will share with you that sometimes when I read these boards and I hear what people who say they know the Lord have to say, it grieves me in my spirit and causes me to weep for them as they have been beguiled by the enemy of our souls and it becomes worse because they have voice and are leading others astray and I know how much it grieves the Lord. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This comment is absolutely humorous. Especially considering that you have ranted and raved and made all kinds of sterotypical accusations against persons who believe that the Bible teaches that homosexuality is sin. Examples...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberLutheran
I understand in fundy-think means they're either gay, or Satanists, or they eat their young...

Quote:
In a nutshell: cut the "we love the sinner and hate the sin" cowpies and come out say what you really THINK, which I believe is going to be be (though this may not apply to you, per se): We hate gays, and we believe God hates gays, and we hate the gay people on this board -- and they're doomed and damned and frankly, we're glad!

Which is what, in my practical experience, "we love the sinner and hate the sin" actually means. It's not like I was born yesterday, and I know all too well the vast difference which often exists between what people say and what people really believe.

Quote:
Would a person who really, truly despises gay people (as do several of the people who post here) really want to be warned of an impending tornado by a gay meteorologist?

Wouldn't responding to a tornado warning by a gay meteorologist be endorsing the homosexual "lifestyle"?

You like to pretend you are above it all. The chip you have on your shoulder thinking that EVERYBODY hates you because your gay, taints your worldview to where you engage in reverse prejudice. You are prejudiced and embrace stereotypes about anyone who doesnt agree with you that homosexuality is sanctioned by God.

Let me see if I can get this through your head one more time:
  • I dont think you are going to hell. (Engaging in homosexual behavior will not send someone to hell. Nothing you DO sends you to hell; something you DONT do does - if you DONT accept Jesus Christ as your Savior.)
  • I dont hate gay people. I have had gay men eat dinner and spend the night at my house with me and my wife. (Believing an activity is sin doesn not equal hate the person.)

I don't think that everybody hates me because I'm gay.

I CAN think of about four, perhaps five people in this particular forum, who -- were they to allow themselves to be completely honest with themselves -- would almost certainly choose option number 1 regarding me, davedjy, Brieuse, and some of the other gay people on this forum.

And -- I have the PMs and emails from them which prove it.

Part of it, DMagoh, is a "trust" issue for me: my experiences growing up in an ultra-fundamentalist, Baptist home and the attitudes (and hypocrisies) I saw soured me on Baptists for life; and whether or not this is fair a big warning flag goes up when I see a Baptist icon. Maybe you're really not like many of the Baptists I've run into: time will tell. After all, Savedandhappy and I have started finding areas where we can agree, and I'm learning I can trust her.

Upvote 0

UnitedInChrist

Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
✟8,999.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
I don't think that everybody hates me because I'm gay.

I CAN think of about four, perhaps five people in this particular forum, who -- were they to allow themselves to be completely honest with themselves -- would almost certainly choose option number 1 regarding me, davedjy, Brieuse, and some of the other gay people on this forum.

And -- I have the PMs and emails from them which prove it.

Part of it, DMagoh, is a "trust" issue for me: my experiences growing up in an ultra-fundamentalist, Baptist home and the attitudes (and hypocrisies) I saw soured me on Baptists for life; and whether or not this is fair a big warning flag goes up when I see a Baptist icon. Maybe you're really not like many of the Baptists I've run into: time will tell. After all, Savedandhappy and I have started finding areas where we can agree, and I'm learning I can trust her.
Great post Uber. I'm with you on the Baptist thing. 1/2 of my family were over the top Baptist. Some till are, but the mother of my nephews left that denomination years ago for the same reasons you mentioned. She never went back,and made sure her kids saw faiths outside of the Baptist church. she was very heavily involved with that denomination so for her to leave it was a big deal. She has never been happier. Now, still a Christian, she is non-denominational, however is not suffocated by dogma that is practice INSIDE the sanctuary, but is left at the door when they leave.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because we affirm what Christianity teaches and disagree with their harmful illicit sexual practices , we are Nazis, racists, latent homosexuals, and hate crimers.

They are victimless halo wearers.

Really?

When have I referred to you, Der Alter, NewGuy101 or anyone over on your side of the fense as a "Nazi", a "racist", a "latent homosexual", or a "hate crimer" -- or anything similar to that?

I'd like specific examples, please -- with links, if you can provide them.

Same goes for you, too, Der Alter and NewGuy (should you choose to respond to this).

Upvote 0
K

Kirilov

Which, incidentally, I still maintain was entirely fair. As I said before, racists discriminate against people on the basis of their race, Nazis want/ed to change innocent members of society into something they find more agreeable, and sexists discriminate against people on the basis of their gender.

These guys discriminate against people on the basis of their sexual orientation, and would have them 'cure' their ways, otherwise they'll burn in hell.

Bit of a no-brainer really. Once again, I'm not saying, anti-gays, that you are racists, Nazis or sexists; in fact, the point is that I'm sure you're not, which is why I use the analogy. If you call these people wrong, then there is an inconsistency, as you are guilty of something very similar.

Once again, a fair comparison.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Which, incidentally, I still maintain was entirely fair. As I said before, racists discriminate against people on the basis of their race, Nazis want/ed to change innocent members of society into something they find more agreeable, and sexists discriminate against people on the basis of their gender.

These guys discriminate against people on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Bit of a no-brainer really. Once again, I'm not saying, anti-gays, that you are racists, Nazis or sexists; in fact, the point is that I'm sure you're not, which is why I use the analogy. If you call these people wrong, then there is an inconsistency, as you are guilty of something very similar.

Once again, a fair comparison.
Actually it isn't, since nazi murdered people. You are comparing God's people to killers and haters. This is another of your fallacious arguments.

Upvote 0
D

DMagoh

I'm sure we could find areas of agreement as well. But I ask you to please quit thinking I hate you. I've posted before that you'd be surprised to find that I have volunteered at food kitchens, and I dont worship at the feet of George "W". I think the Iraq war was started on false pretenses. I'm sure there are a LOT of things we would agree on.

As I stated on an earlier post, 73% believe that homosexual behavior is sin, so it's not like I'm the only one that reads the Bible that way.
http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=35888764&postcount=190

That doesnt mean I hate you.

Upvote 0
K

Kirilov

NewGuy101 said:
Actually it isn't, since nazi murdered people. You are comparing God's people to killers and haters. This is another of your fallacious arguments.

It is true that most (modern day) Christians are not killers. An analogy or a comparison does not say 'these two things are alike in every way'. I'm saying, look, I assume you think that what these people thought was wrong, and then pointing out the similarity with your own views.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
It is true that most (modern day) Christians are not killers. An analogy or a comparison does not say 'these two things are alike in every way'. I'm saying, look, I assume you think that what these people thought was wrong, and then pointing out the similarity with your own views.
Well you are wrong, there is a big difference between disagreeing with people and killing them. Infact we are called to love our enemies...not torture them. By the way, a real Christian would never muder anyone.

Upvote 0
K

Kirilov

NewGuy101 said:
Well you are wrong, there is a big difference between disagreeing with people and killing them.

Aaaargggghhh, read what I write!

Me said:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
K

Kirilov

What, this?:

NewGuy101 said:
Infact we are called to love our enemies...not torture them. By the way, a real Christian would never muder anyone.

Well I'm sorry, but I really just don't buy the whole 'love your enemy' thing. If you think homosexuals are sinners, they're going to hell, their relationships should be illegal by law, they're sick and perverse, then even if you do love them (and its a funny kind of love) you might as well hate them. I'm afraid that saying 'oh, we love them really' doesn't get you out of the analogy.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
What, this?:

Well I'm sorry, but I really just don't buy the whole 'love your enemy' thing. If you think homosexuals are sinners, they're going to hell, their relationships should be illegal by law, they're sick and perverse, then even if you do love them (and its a funny kind of love) you might as well hate them. I'm afraid that saying 'oh, we love them really' doesn't get you out of the analogy.
Again,you don't understand the biblical system. Yes homosexuals are sinners but so are we. Every single Christian is one. Every SIN should be outlawed, but that doesn't mean we hate every sinner. That would mean I would hate myself.

Upvote 0