Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sorry if it gets too personal but I need answers. I'm a baby Christian and even if I read the entire Bible, I've never really "studied" the topic of death.

The thing is I've watched my grandma's health deteriorate these past few weeks and I struggled praying for her. She passed away yesterday and most of us (her children & grandchildren) weren't surprised at all. Of course we're all sad, we've seen her suffer for so long and the doctor refused to perform surgery because of her age.

My problem is I didn't know how to pray for her, like which words to use. It felt weird to ask God to heal her knowing that no surgery was planned. Seeing her in pain and not being able to help her get better besides giving medicines was heart breaking.

When I heard about her death, I faced the same issue: how am I supposed to pray? So I just asked God to take care of her soul. To be honest I don't even know what it means . Where did her soul go? I've seen close relatives die but I was not Christian back then. To me it was just the natural process of life.

And before dying she mentioned every dead family member's name like she was asking for help. The old me would have called that straight hallucination. But now I'm wondering if there's any spiritual meaning behind that?

She was very active in her church and prayed a lot. I want to believe that she's in heaven now but I'm still very confused.

I'm not expecting the perfect answers to my questions because none of us know for sure what happens after death but how do you pray in that situation?

Please be kind as I've just lost my last grandparent and writing these lines is hard. As her 1st granddaughter, I wanted her to be at my wedding and now I feel like failing one of her last wishes.

Anyways feel free to share your experience, it will always help <3

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry if it gets too personal but I need answers. I'm a baby Christian and even if I read the entire Bible, I've never really "studied" the topic of death.

The thing is I've watched my grandma's health deteriorate these past few weeks and I struggled praying for her. She passed away yesterday and most of us (her children & grandchildren) weren't surprised at all. Of course we're all sad, we've seen her suffer for so long and the doctor refused to perform surgery because of her age.

My problem is I didn't know how to pray for her, like which words to use. It felt weird to ask God to heal her knowing that no surgery was planned. Seeing her in pain and not being able to help her get better besides giving medicines was heart breaking.

When I heard about her death, I faced the same issue: how am I supposed to pray? So I just asked God to take care of her soul. To be honest I don't even know what it means . Where did her soul go? I've seen close relatives die but I was not Christian back then. To me it was just the natural process of life.

And before dying she mentioned every dead family member's name like she was asking for help. The old me would have called that straight hallucination. But now I'm wondering if there's any spiritual meaning behind that?

She was very active in her church and prayed a lot. I want to believe that she's in heaven now but I'm still very confused.

I'm not expecting the perfect answers to my questions because none of us know for sure what happens after death but how do you pray in that situation?

Please be kind as I've just lost my last grandparent and writing these lines is hard. As her 1st granddaughter, I wanted her to be at my wedding and now I feel like failing one of her last wishes.

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother, sister. These things are never easy no matter how mentally prepared we think we could be. On the whole, though, I think you did fine in praying for her the way you did. I won't say much in order to allow other fellow brethren to say something, but I'd just encourage you to know that your prayers were, I'm sure, heard by the Lord and that somewhere in all of that, even if you felt as if you were somehow lacking, you did fine. There was no failure on your part.

As Paul said to the early church in Rome:

Romans 8:26

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.​

Whether we experience a moment of crisis and pray through groans or through a struggle to find the right words, God in His Spirit was there with you. And I'm confident that your grandmother is with the Lord now. Try to have peace in that promise.

Be blessed,

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother, sister. These things are never easy no matter how mentally prepared we think we could be. On the whole, though, I think you did fine in praying for her the way you did. I won't say much in order to allow other fellow brethren to say something, but I'd just encourage you to know that your prayers were, I'm sure, heard by the Lord and that somewhere in all of that, even if you felt as if you were somehow lacking, you did fine. There was no failure on your part.

As Paul said to the early church in Rome:

Romans 8:26

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.​

Whether we experience a moment of crisis and pray through groans or through a struggle to find the right words, God in His Spirit was there with you. And I'm confident that your grandmother is with the Lord now. Try to have peace in that promise.

Be blessed,

2PhiloVoid

Thank you for the kind words! ^^

• Friendly
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I can completely relate to you about praying. I'm really terrible at it honestly. I just decided that talking to the Father was better and more of an honest approach for me. I know there are people who have beautiful flowing prayers and I am so amazed! I dont have that gift. However..... Our Father gives us other gifts and ultimately comming to Him in humility is really all He askes us to do. Be blessed.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cute Peonies
Upvote 0

MissFaithfullyHis

Mar 12, 2022
Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing, and I hope that God will help you take your pain away. I'm new to following Christ myself, so I may not have the best advice or to make you feel more at peace; my apologies ahead of time.

This may sound odd, but when my family dog passed away last year, I constantly prayed to God to take away his pain and knowing that he would be in a better place than this world. It made me think of scripture I read, which was:

Revelation 21:3-5 KJV
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.​

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.​

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.​

As 2PhiloVoid said, I do believe she is with the Lord, in a new body and no longer in pain.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I am going to speak to you from my heart, months ago I lost someone very special to me, I will always miss her. I reminded all those who love her that she was not truly gone, she had simply moved ahead of us to be with Jesus and enjoy the rewards she so richly earned. Instead of sadness we should rejoice, because not only was she now experiencing joy beyond our imagination but we were blessed to enjoy her love and care for the many years we shared with her. Every night she is in my prayers as I thank God for the many blessings she was to me. I tell her how much she means to me, how I will always love her and how I am so happy that she with Jesus and I ask Jesus to kiss her every day. I truly hope this brings you comfort as you remember your Grandmother.
Blessings

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I want to believe that she's in heaven now but I'm still very confused.

I am sorry for your loss, grief can be hard to bare, so do take the time to mourn.

How do we pray in difficult situations for people?

Be honest with od, tell him your concerns, be realistic and practical.

example, your Grandmother was dying in great pain. Pray that she might have relief from that pain, that she might have a good nights sleep and have the strength to face each day.

Please remember that through the Spirit living in us God knows what we mean and what we want when we struggle to pray for someone.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This may sound odd, but when my family dog passed away last year, I constantly prayed to God to take away his pain and knowing that he would be in a better place than this world.

That's what I ended up doing. It was not easy ... Your dog is definitely in a better place now <3

Upvote 0

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I can completely relate to you about praying. I'm really terrible at it honestly. I just decided that talking to the Father was better and more of an honest approach for me. I know there are people who have beautiful flowing prayers and I am so amazed! I dont have that gift. However..... Our Father gives us other gifts and ultimately comming to Him in humility is really all He askes us to do. Be blessed.

I'm better at talking too! Like talking to a friend. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Upvote 0

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Instead of sadness we should rejoice, because not only was she now experiencing joy beyond our imagination but we were blessed to enjoy her love and care for the many years we shared with her.

You summed it up perfectly. Stay blessed and thanks for sharing your love for that special someone ^^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry for your loss, grief can be hard to bare, so do take the time to mourn.

How do we pray in difficult situations for people?

Be honest with od, tell him your concerns, be realistic and practical.

example, your Grandmother was dying in great pain. Pray that she might have relief from that pain, that she might have a good nights sleep and have the strength to face each day.

Please remember that through the Spirit living in us God knows what we mean and what we want when we struggle to pray for someone.

Now I realise that praying takes practice haha Thank you for your insight! ^^

Upvote 0