• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

How do you know you’ve committed gluttony?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Ashley755, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Ashley755

Ashley755 New Member

+79
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I have no idea what exactly that looks like, I hope I’m not doing it. It’s one of those generally unnoticed sins, but a sin no less. Does eating after you already feel full count as gluttony? Do you have to wait until you’re hungry to eat? Is deliberately overeating gluttony, even if you only do it once in a while? I’m confused.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+14,060
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    It is not something clearly defined in scripture.

My opinion is when food becomes an idol and you start putting it ahead of following the Lord, you have stepped over into gluttony.

3. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+5,843
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Gluttony (overindulging in anything) is pretty common. But it's become a lifestyle in the west. So it's hard to actually define biblically.

Imelda Marcos was said to possess 6000 pairs of shoes, certainly a 'glutton' for such.

4. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+1,334
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Gluttony (overindulging in anything) is pretty common. Agree, it is just not food related.

God Bless.

5. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+3,872
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    I'm not sure but personally, I only eat small amount of food. The reason I do it is because it's healthy.

But certainly, to love God with all our mind, soul, strength, etc. Strength and mind in particular, we need to be physically healthy in order to do that. So perhaps, from theological standpoint, indulgence in food is not a good thing.

6. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Another perspective about everything! Supporter

+4,687
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Gluttony is one of those instances in which a person opens a fresh, brand new bag of Cheetos, pops three or four of those little corn critters in his mouth, and then looks down, only to find the bag completely empty.

I know. It sounds like something out of the Twilight Zone. But, I can honestly testify that I've seen this kind of thing happen, at least a time or two. :sorry:

7. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,029
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    There's a Church near me that has on its website a section on preparing for confession. It addresses gluttony by asking two questions. Do you eat when you are not hungry, and do you ever waste food. I suppose that is a good way to put it.

8. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+5,843
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I have that same problem with Cool Ranch Doritos.

9. Brotherly Spirit

Brotherly Spirit Well-Known Member Supporter

+786
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    According to Google the definition of gluttony is "habitual greed or excess in eating", and excess is "an amount of something that is more than necessary, permitted, or desirable". Also greed is "intense and selfish desire for something--".

People have different daily circumstances which affect the timing and consumption of food. Some people for example work physically demanding jobs, a larger than normal meal would better prepare them for the work ahead. Even if the person isn't always hungry in the morning, he or she needs to provide the body enough to sustain it's energy and not go hungry until the next meal. If time allows snacking between smaller meals isn't much different overall.

Also what people eat will affect how much and often. If a man or woman consumes healthier food like vegetables and fruit more than normal as a part of their diet, the volume of food could be larger but not necessarily the calories. So I would be careful not to simplify it too much. Only when there's a strong want and lack of self-control I think it's gluttony, deciding to finish what little is left of your meal not to let it waste for example wouldn't be gluttony.

10. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Well-Known Member

+2,058
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    It would be considered the lust list of food.

11. Radagast

Radagast is a Trinitarian Christian

+6,559
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    The sin of gluttony is not about food (or not just about food). Gluttony is about overindulgence in pleasurable sensations of every kind.

Like the sin of lust, gluttony is love of a good thing taken to extremes, so that the pleasurable sensations become more important than God and God's laws (avarice or greed is the third member of the group, where it is things that come ahead of God).

That is to say, gluttony is all about attitude. Does God come first, or do pleasurable sensations come first? Do we pray before we consume? Are we able to say "thank you, but I don't need another slice of pizza," or does the pizza rule over us?

The high end of gluttony involves pleasurable sensations that (unlike food) are actively harmful to the body. The most extreme case would be drug abuse. Here the addict becomes almost totally enslaved to the rule of the drug.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  12. Radagast

Radagast is a Trinitarian Christian

+6,559
    Australia
    Christian
    Single