Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, you haven't proven anything with the Scripture you quoted regarding wearing a crucifix. It say nothing against a crucifix. I'm not surprised your opposed to it. But Scripturally there is nothing opposed to it
Its the graven image thingy that is written in the scripture.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Its the graven image thingy that is written in the scripture.
If there is any issue, this is where to begin. Not 1 Peter.

When Exodus 20 is written, there is not a image of God on earth. But when Christ was born everyone who saw him on earth alive were looking at the image of God in flesh. Those who bowed down to him were worshipping a physical image of God.

Now, people aren't worshipping the crucifix if they wear it to remind them of why Christ died. Unlike a Bible, the crucifix is far more acceptable to openly wear in public. It looks kind of stupid if you're wearing a necklace with a bible attached to it.

You have an issue here if you have ever watched a movie with Jesus depicted. This can be also taken to the extreme to demonstrate how faulty the logic is by saying an image of Adam and Eve is sin. An image of Paul is sin. An image of any bible character is idolatry.

This is flat out absurd to say the Bible is all you need because what you really mean is you need a bible and a can of white paint, a hammer, eye protection as well because iconoclasm is about to explode.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, you haven't proven anything with the Scripture you quoted regarding wearing a crucifix. It say nothing against a crucifix. I'm not surprised your opposed to it. But Scripturally there is nothing opposed to it
(Exo 20:4) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
This first one that I posted certainly does. It is in post #8 if you missed it.

BTW I love the fact that you are willing, although you often seem to agree with me on many things, to call me out when you don't. I respect that.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If there is any issue, this is where to begin. Not 1 Peter.

When Exodus 20 is written, there is not a image of God on earth. But when Christ was born everyone who saw him on earth alive were looking at the image of God in flesh. Those who bowed down to him were worshipping a physical image of God.

Now, people aren't worshipping the crucifix if they wear it to remind them of why Christ died. Unlike a Bible, the crucifix is far more acceptable to openly wear in public. It looks kind of stupid if you're wearing a necklace with a bible attached to it.

You have an issue here if you have ever watched a movie with Jesus depicted. This can be also taken to the extreme to demonstrate how faulty the logic is by saying an image of Adam and Eve is sin. An image of Paul is sin. An image of any bible character is idolatry.

This is flat out absurd to say the Bible is all you need because what you really mean is you need a bible and a can of white paint, a hammer, eye protection as well because iconoclasm is about to explode.
Show me a true picture of Jesus and I will have no problem with it. Iconoclasm is false and idolatry. I have not seen a movie with someone portraying the Lord Jesus since I was converted nor do I use or allow any books with pictures that pretend to portray Jesus in them for children.

You know as well as I do that all of those things tend to superstitious worship because they are so ingrained in us. We start out as children seeing crosses on churches and connect that with Jesus and worship. Then we see these so-called pictures of Him who cannot be portrayed because He is God and man, sorry a halo just doesn't do it, and that is our image of Him throughout our lives. We look at all kinds of images that pertain to religion and we conjure up an images in our minds when we pray or read our Bibles that has no resemblance to the truth. It is false and idolatry. That is why the Lord forbid the making of images.

Yes he was seen by many while He was here but they are all dead and no representation of Him was ever made while He was here that actually showed what He looked like so every so-called representation is an imaginary and false idea of Him. Moreover He cannot be truly represented because His Godhood is not representable.

It certainly isn't absurd to say that the Bible is all that we need. The Scriptures back up that premise.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This first one that I posted certainly does. It is in post #8 if you missed it.

BTW I love the fact that you are willing, although you often seem to agree with me on many things, to call me out when you don't. I respect that.
Ok. I missed post #8.

We do agree on many issues. Thanks for the respect. I too respect how you don't get flustered by too much and want to deal with Scripture even if disagreements occur. It can be frustrating dealing with those who wear their feeling on their bible interpretations.

Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Show me a true picture of Jesus and I will have no problem with it. Iconoclasm is false and idolatry. I have not seen a movie with someone portraying the Lord Jesus since I was converted nor do I use or allow any books with pictures that pretend to portray Jesus in them for children.

You know as well as I do that all of those things tend to superstitious worship because they are so ingrained in us. We start out as children seeing crosses on churches and connect that with Jesus and worship. Then we see these so-called pictures of Him who cannot be portrayed because He is God and man, sorry a halo just doesn't do it, and that is our image of Him throughout our lives. We look at all kinds of images that pertain to religion and we conjure up an images in our minds when we pray or read our Bibles that has no resemblance to the truth. It is false and idolatry. That is why the Lord forbid the making of images.

Yes he was seen by many while He was here but they are all dead and no representation of Him was ever made while He was here that actually showed what He looked like so every so-called representation is an imaginary and false idea of Him. Moreover He cannot be truly represented because His Godhood is not representable.

It certainly isn't absurd to say that the Bible is all that we need. The Scriptures back up that premise.
I've seen many movies of Christ depicted. I've seen movies with Christ depicted shown in baptist churches. I've never once looked at the depiction of him as anymore than what it was. The same goes for a depiction of Adam, David, Solomon, Peter, Noah, Elijah, Paul, Mary and others. I never once treated any of them with worship. I've listened to the dramatized Bible and even then I don't take the Jesus used as the real Jesus. And like you say, we conjure up visions in our mind trying to play out the scenes in our mind. My previous church used all types of people to portray Jesus in their drive by life of Christ.

I appreciate the fact you stay consistent to your stance and belief. As a cross the board position, this crucifix is not a object of worship in the op. It is a reminder.

I do believe in Sola Scriptura. But like the Sabbath Commandment, I don't see the crucifix, nor the images/art made depicting Christ as a form of making graven image.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a problem with Crucifixes and icons if they are just there for decoration. I am only opposed to it once people apply religious significance to it.
You do realize all decorations have meaning. Painting churches all white has meaning. The odds are you have decorations in your home that have religious meaning. Why do those get approved but not a crucifix? Because a resemblance of Christ is on it?

What if I just make a necklace with a charm in the shape of a bible with Luke 23:33 written on the charm. Somehow now it's acceptable crucifix of worship?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would think its a catholic thing that catholics are hung up on.
I dont seem them in other types of churches.

Generally baptists dont see the need for them. It seems to me the catholics use them as kind of charms or talismans. i see other christians like to have tattoos or wwjd braclets on their person, but, I just never saw the need for them, as christ shines through us in our actions not necessarily what we wear.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Iconoclasm is false and idolatry.
I do not think that word means what you think it means. I'd just like to offer a slight correction here for clarification. You are an iconoclast because an iconoclast is one who is against icons. The word you're looking for is iconodule (and I happen to be one). Even though I disagree with you strongly, using the proper terms and definitions is important.

Upvote 0