How do you differ to your parents in regard to Christianity?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
my grandparents were end-times obsessed, repent-Jesus-is-coming-tomorrow kind of Christians
My brother who is a Pentecostal is end-times obsessed. Every time I talk to him on the phone, he wants to mention it.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
How can one person's Christianity be different from another person's Christianity? There is one Christ.
You're right. I couldve expressed that better.
"How do you differ to your parents in regard to Christianity?"
Is that better?

Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
How can one person's Christianity be different from another person's Christianity? There is one Christ.

If you think about it geological factors and history and language. Culture if you will. Yeshua and Jesus and Christ are all the same man who died to save humanity from sin and satan.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟965,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...My upbringing was fairly strict with a lot of "thou shalt nots." For example, we were prohibited from card playing, dancing, eating in restaurants or otherwise spending money on Sunday, and cursing or its substitutes (e.g. "gosh darn")...

That's a tough childhood in my book. Hats off to you, for surviving.

Church was across the street from a drug store with a soda fountain (it dates me, I know). When Sunday school let out, everyone in my class went across the street for a soda...except me who was disallowed spending a dime which would support someone working on the Sabbath. As soon as I graduated from high school, mom and dad starting going out for lunch after church on Sunday. :openmouth:

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟187,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You seem to come from a blessed family OP. My parents are both athiest, in fact every member of both sides of my entire extended family are atheists... except for my grandpas sister although ive never met her... and i only know shes a Christian because of an easter card she sent my grandpa that i saw at their house with bible verses on it, and he said "oh yea shes very religious." Lots of generational baggage and strongholds in my family although my mom is a loving mother and my dad does have some kind and gentle parts of his personality, and I was raised to be humble, hard-working, and responsible. So now I am trying to spread my faith to my family

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,276,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
<snip>Now, I attend a Baptist church. Their ways are strictly cessationist, and it strikes me with a mild sadness. It seems that there are two ways to disbelieve in the gifts of the Spirit: either by rejecting them outright, or by covering the disbelief with make-belief, trying to make things happen by one's own effort.
Excellent summation :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Beaker

Jan 31, 2008
South Western Ontario
✟32,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The beliefs of my late parents and me have not changed, however the churchh denomination has. My parents were raised as Presbyterians, as was I, however, when moving from the U.K. to Canada, the Presbyterian churches I attended were, like the United churches, merely social clubs, with no teaching whatsoever. I am now a Baptist, and the teaching in the Baptist church here, is far better than the Presbyterian / United.

Upvote 0

jeffinjapan

Jun 8, 2017
New Orleans, LA
✟9,595.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My parents came from the Anglo-Irish Catholic tradition of "don't blow your own trumpet. Just do it."
Particularly my father. He was a gentle kind soul who never took himself seriously. He was incredibly hospitable to strangers as was my mother. They welcomed any of our friends into the home. Sometimes we had up to 20 people there at a time. In a small country town, it became like a hub of human fellowship, not strictly in the name of God but indirectly, as I see it now.
My father was president of a charity group called the St. Vincent se Paul for 20 years. He visited the sick and aged in hospital after Church on Sundays.
But he never once mentioned the Bible. Or did he try to evangelise to us kids. I am curious now what went on in his head. I don't think he actually prayed much. But his life was a prayer. He never held grudges, he extended his love beyond his own family. He was truly humble and deservedly popular. Some of my family made fun of his unworldliness and lack of manly leadership skills and his tendency to procrastinate on tough decisions. But these criticisms seem petty now. I believe Christ uses such humble people to spread His kingdom.
But I think my approach will be different. I see value in reading the Bible. I see talking about God and Jesus Christ as a positive. My parents may think this to be unnecessary or Pharisee like. I think its time to break that chain of thinking. I feel like I have been a slave to this "don't talk, just do" culture for too long. Nothing wrong with talking about God and the Bible. As long as you follow it up in action. As long as you don't become a hypocrite. As long as your relationship with God remains the most important thing in your life.
My parents were Southern Baptist and that is the tradition I grew up in. We also had several baptist churches get there start in our home as mission churches.

Like a good protestant, my dad (RIP) read his bible and believed his interpretation was correct and if you disagreed with him, he would let you know. Unfortunately, he ran out of town at least two preachers all based on biblical interpretation.

My mom (RIP) was a sweet heart and loved Jesus and believed just about the whole world was going to hell.

When my mom died she was a Jesus only pentecostal and could apparently speak in tongues; which according to her pastor, proved she was "saved." My dad, who died just over a year later had left the Jesus only church after having a falling out with the pastor and was in the middle of yet another feud with a sweet, young Baptist pastor at the local church.

I had already converted to Roman Catholicism by the time of my parents passing and they were okay with it, to a point, and for a while my dad was even looking into the idea of the RCC. But it never went anywhere.

I have now since their passing converted to Eastern Orthodoxy and my beliefs are about as different from theirs, and mine while growing up, as can be. But some of my best memories growing up was in those small churches with my parents by my side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My parents were Southern Baptist and that is the tradition I grew up in. We also has several baptist churches get there start in our home as mission churches.

Like a good protestant, my dad (RIP) read his bible and believed his interpretation was correct and if you disagreed with him, he would let you know. Unfortunately, he ran out of town at least two preachers all based on biblical interpretation.

My mom (RIP) was a sweet heart and loved Jesus and believed just about the whole world was going to hell.

When my mom died she was a Jesus only pentecostal and could apparently speak in tongues; which according to her pastor, proved she was "saved." My dad, who died just over a year later had left the Jesus only church after having a falling out with the pastor and was in the middle of yet another feud with a sweet, young Baptist pastor at the local church.

I had already converted to Roman Catholicism by the time of my parents passing and they were okay with it, to a point, and for a while my dad was even looking into the idea of the RCC. But it never went anywhere.

I have now since their passing converted to Eastern Orthodoxy and my beliefs are about as different from theirs, and mine while growing up, as can be. But some of my best memories growing up was in those small churches with my parents by my side.
Interesting background

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your Earthly Father an Apostolate of "Good Works in our Lord Jesus" Paul - a beautiful humble heart and my earthly Father is similar being a conservative Catholic keeping his Faith and religion to himself to date.

The type of humble heart Jesus speaks of in His Holy Words to Saint Marie Martha Chambon and all of Jesus, God our Heavenly Father, Holy Spirit and our Blessed Virgin Mother Marys Holy Saints (mentioned in God's Holy Word by God our Heavenly Father and Creator Himself) and i will post some of these if CF allows later on in a Thread of which directly reflects our Blessed Holy Trinitys Holy Scriptures, Gods Holy Bible - Jesus Beautitudes - Blessed are the Humble. Jesus loves humble hearts and those of whom welcome anyone into their homes and give generously from their hearts - Jesus knows our hearts and knows your Fathers Heart Paul just as Jesus knows every heart here on earth.

My parents came from the Anglo-Irish Catholic tradition of "don't blow your own trumpet. Just do it."
Particularly my father. He was a gentle kind soul who never took himself seriously. He was incredibly hospitable to strangers as was my mother. They welcomed any of our friends into the home. Sometimes we had up to 20 people there at a time. In a small country town, it became like a hub of human fellowship, not strictly in the name of God but indirectly, as I see it now.
My father was president of a charity group called the St. Vincent se Paul for 20 years. He visited the sick and aged in hospital after Church on Sundays.
But he never once mentioned the Bible. Or did he try to evangelise to us kids. I am curious now what went on in his head. I don't think he actually prayed much. But his life was a prayer. He never held grudges, he extended his love beyond his own family. He was truly humble and deservedly popular. Some of my family made fun of his unworldliness and lack of manly leadership skills and his tendency to procrastinate on tough decisions. But these criticisms seem petty now. I believe Christ uses such humble people to spread His kingdom.
But I think my approach will be different. I see value in reading the Bible. I see talking about God and Jesus Christ as a positive. My parents may think this to be unnecessary or Pharisee like. I think its time to break that chain of thinking. I feel like I have been a slave to this "don't talk, just do" culture for too long. Nothing wrong with talking about God and the Bible. As long as you follow it up in action. As long as you don't become a hypocrite. As long as your relationship with God remains the most important thing in your life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And I just want to add that I feel that the family culture I was raised in, deemed that "talking about God" was almost bad luck. Some kind of superstitious mentality. That if we mentioned God, we were either mentally ill or it affected our real walk with God. That the minute we suggested Jesus may be the way the truth and the life, for example we made ourselves a target of Phariseeism.
That might explain some of my postings on here. :) Sorry.

Yes Paul and hence what Jesus said in His Holy New Testament Paul - that those who walked in the way of His Cross would suffer persecutions and abuses in His Name.

This includes Catholics, Catholic Missionaries, Confraternities, Shepherds of our Lord's, Apostolates, His Faithful Devout and Loyal doing the extras by and through Jesus in His Holy Will, Holy Strength and Holy Graces through Holy Spirit and our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dear Winken,
Did you factor in any of the Hebrew people including Jesus'own long line of Genealogy of whom were Hebrews including our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary, Saint Joseph, Saint Joachim, Saint Anna, Saint Elizabeth, Saint Zechariah and their long Lineages of whom are mentioned in Holy Scriptures mentioned in the Old and New Testament? Saint David? Our Blessed Virgin Mother Marys Holy Family were strict Hebrews of whom loved and obeyed God strictly adhering to and following God our Heavenly Fathers Commandments with daily sacrifices and offerings made to God.

Our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary was chosen by God our Heavenly Father Himself from Gods Holy Lineage back to the creation of The Foundations of His Earth and this is written in The Catholic Bible being the oldest and the original Holy Writings of Gods Holy Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THAT is the question every denomination must ask. The Christianity of a Spiritually blessed individual is found in the Holy Spirit, not denominations. The Holy Spirit is the ONLY interpreter and applier of Scripture. HE isn't going to provide multiple versions of God's Word. We go nuts with a new translation every time we turn around, ignoring the translation of and by the Holy Spirit that is permanently available to those who walk in Faith, believing what the Spirit tells them.

Why and how did we stumble? Where do denominations come from? How can the Holy Spirit juggle His answers? What's the answer?

I'll let each of you respond. I'll be quiet.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit dwells within each heart/soul Baptized, we just need to pray more daily for The Holy Spirit to illuminate our hearts and souls, reignite our hearts and souls guiding them through Gods Holy Word, in Prayer and Holy Communion with Jesus God Holy Spirit and for myself I always include our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary of Whom is with Jesus intertwined in their Precious Holy Hearts in Love of God.

All things however are through and by Jesus our Christ our Merciful Saviour with Holy Spirit therefore what you are receiving from Holy Spirit one is receiving from Jesus Himself. Only can we go through Jesus to receive The Holy Spirit to God our Heavenly Father.

Only can one go through Jesus from their hearts to The Father with Holy Spirit. Jesus and Holy Spirit are One in God our Heavenly Father.

God The Father Almighty Jesus Christ Holy Spirit
our Blessed Holy Trinity, Holy God Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One - Holy King of Heaven and Earth
The Blessed Virgin Mother Mary - Holy Queen of Heaven and Earth
The Holy Archangels, Gods Holy Angels and Holy Throne Angels
The 12 Holy Tribes of Israel
The Holy 12 Disciples
The Holy Saints
The Holy Souls in Heaven
The Holy Souls in Purgatory

In relation to our Lords Church, His Catholic and Universal Church - receiving our Lords Blessed Holy Sacred Sacraments - "Himself" is essential for soul salvation and essential to have received Jesus and into our Hearts

As Jesus said
"Without My Flesh and Blood there is no Life within you".

"Repent and believe in The Good News"

Jesus delivered His Beautitudes - His Sermon on the Mount wanting us to take up the Cross and follow Him, adhering to His Beautitudes

One must always have a relationship with Jesus Himself from hearts if one wishes to be reignited and illuminated by The Holy Spirit while receiving our Lord Himself into hearts through His Blessed Holy Sacraments of which is "Himself" physically literally Spiritually with The Holy Spirit, of which include our Lord Jesus/Gods/Holy Spirits Holy Blessings Gifts and Graces essential now and eternally for Salvation

Jesus Holy Spirit and Mother Marys Holy Catholic Church (and I say Holy from now on for a number of reasons) is our Lords Church of Whom has Jesus Manifested Present in His Holy Blessed Sacrament, His Holy Tabernacle and delivers all of Gods Blessed Holy Sacraments in the Holy ways God had requested of His Priests and Prophets in the early days, carried through from The Hebrews Gods People, through to Saint Peter from Jesus Himself, through to date.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a tough childhood in my book.
Typical for Wesleyan Holiness.

No alcohol
No movies
No TV
No dice
No dancing
Women had to wear long dresses
Men had to wear long sleeve shirts
Women had to wear long hair
Men had to wear short hair and be clean-shaven
No shorts after the age of 10
No jewelry (including wrist watch)
No sports (either as a participant or fan)

• Informative
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds much like my Southern Baptist grandmother on my Father's side, especially card playing, cursing, leaving the house on Sunday, dancing.......
I think the Baptists got it from the Holiness folk ....

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,276,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Both of my parents families had fairly strong Catholic histories but my parents/mother (father had a strong dislike for organized religion) rarely took us to church. We'd attend maybe Christmas, Easter and/or Midnight Mass. Once I got my first car I'd occasionally take myself to church a couple of other times a year. At about 30 I became a fervent follower of Christ contrary to the rest of my family. A few years ago before my father's death my parents started attending our church and actually enjoyed themselves. I was blessed to witness my father take communion in my presence for the first time. I will never forget that.

Upvote 0