How do we train for godliness?( What are practical steps?)

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In all my years of being at church I have found that there is a tremendous emphasis on being godly - yet no one has bothered to tell me how to attain this elusive quality.
Can anyone help a sister out please?
That's a good question. I've personally discovered that the biggest and most underlying source to all godliness is consistently staying in touch with the Lord through Bible reading. If you stop reading the Bible consistently, it is inevitable that you cannot maintain a godly lifestyle. I found this out the hard way over the past year.

As for the question itself, I can recommend a book. It's called "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster. It's a book that speaks about the spiritual disciplines of the Christian life, and how it allows God to righteously affect one's spirit to live more like him. I read through it a couple of years ago, and if I had applied the wisdom from it then, I'd be in a much different place spiritually-speaking right now.

• Agree
Reactions: AllDayFaith
Upvote 0

StarryEyedShoeGazer

Dec 28, 2016
Australia
✟62,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a good question. I've personally discovered that the biggest and most underlying source to all godliness is consistently staying in touch with the Lord through Bible reading. If you stop reading the Bible consistently, it is inevitable that you cannot maintain a godly lifestyle. I found this out the hard way over the past year.

As for the question itself, I can recommend a book. It's called "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster. It's a book that speaks about the spiritual disciplines of the Christian life, and how it allows God to righteously affect one's spirit to live more like him. I read through it a couple of years ago, and if I had applied the wisdom from it then, I'd be in a much different place spiritually-speaking right now.
Be aware that Richard Foster is a mystic.He may not be that doctrinally sound - so I would stay clear of him.

Upvote 0

AllDayFaith

Sep 15, 2018
Spring Hill
Visit site
✟76,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You love God by worshiping and praising Him. And you love others by caring for them. Can you do good to those that hate you. Can you pray for those that try to hurt you? It's easy to love the people who love you, but can you love people that are your adversaries.

Upvote 0

StarryEyedShoeGazer

Dec 28, 2016
Australia
✟62,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You love God by worshiping and praising Him. And you love others by caring for them. Can you do good to those that hate you. Can you pray for those that try to hurt you? It's easy to love the people who love you, but can you love people that are your adversaries.
Yes but that strikes me a DOING where as godliness strikes me as BEING.Am I wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In all my years of being at church I have found that there is a tremendous emphasis on being godly - yet no one has bothered to tell me how to attain this elusive quality.

Living a Godly life is being led by the Spirit and taking "self" out of the way.

Of course we communicate with God by reading his Word, listening to the preached Word, fellow-shipping with the brethren.

We set our minds to always do that which is right and honest according to His Word.

But the Godly life is far from our doing, we can't in any way do it, it is all Christ who lives in us and through us by the Spirit that we live a Godly life.

We must surrender to Him! Tell Him that we are no longer in charge of our lives, He is in control. This is when the Godly life will be lived, not of our doing but the allowing of Him to have total control.

This doesn't mean you deny your dreams in life. Whatever you choose to do in life is your choice. But whatever you do, do it to His Glory, acknowledging Him as your Saviour, and your guide through life.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

... for me, being the existentialist that I am and have always been, the way that I keep myself open to God's leading and prompting toward godliness is to remember.......I'm going to die and, if Christianity is true (and I believe it is), then I have but one opportunity, one life in which to work out my faith with 'fear and trembling.'

So, once that's firmly in place, it's just a couple of hops on the hopscotch board to read God's Word, Pray, Fellowship with other Chrsitians, and realize that sin is sin and I need to do my best to let the World go and follow Jesus.

There's not much more to it all than that, at least, not for me. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StarryEyedShoeGazer

Dec 28, 2016
Australia
✟62,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Living a Godly life is being led by the Spirit and taking "self" out of the way.

Of course we communicate with God by reading his Word, listening to the preached Word, fellow-shipping with the brethren.

We set our minds to always do that which is right and honest according to His Word.

But the Godly life is far from our doing, we can't in any way do it, it is all Christ who lives in us and through us by the Spirit that we live a Godly life.

We must surrender to Him! Tell Him that we are no longer in charge of our lives, He is in control. This is when the Godly life will be lived, not of our doing but the allowing of Him to have total control.

This doesn't mean you deny your dreams in life. Whatever you choose to do in life is your choice. But whatever you do, do it to His Glory, acknowledging Him as your Saviour, and your guide through life.
This is the best answer so far and I appreciate the spirit it was written in.Thank you!

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Peter 1:3-9

"3His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. 5For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins."

I'm a big fan of principle over particular. If we know the principles of something then the specifics of that things are easier to recall and apply. Knowing that love is patient, kind, and forbearing is an easy list to memorize but becoming a person who is by disposition patient, kind, and forbearing feeds on itself and begets more of the same. We're even more empowered when we realize "love" is simply a word we use to describe value. I value you. I value this person so much that I will be patient and kind, hopeful and trusting with the, I do so because I value them as more significant even more than myself (Php. 2:3).

I think one of the best ways of developing this disposition is the practice of "spiritual disciplines." There are several good books on the topic. Richard Foster's "Celebration of Discipline" is a classic. If you like the Quaker approach to spiritual disciplines you'll enjoy Foster's book. A more evangelical tome is Donald Whitney's "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life." It's a little more concrete than Foster's book. Since you're a woman you might consider Barbra Hughes' "Disciplines of a Godly Woman," although it is written for married women. She may have a volume written for the younge woman. If you're interested in something more theological then "Knowing God" by J. I. Packer is a must read. I've read all these books more than once and highly recommend them. For the men reading this post R. Kent Hughes' book, "Disciplines for the Godly Man" is also highly recommended.

Something else I'd like you to consider: if you're not out and about acting like the world then you're already godly whether you feel it or not.

Upvote 0

StarryEyedShoeGazer

Dec 28, 2016
Australia
✟62,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
2 Peter 1:3-9

"3His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. 5For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins."

I'm a big fan of principle over particular. If we know the principles of something then the specifics of that things are easier to recall and apply. Knowing that love is patient, kind, and forbearing is an easy list to memorize but becoming a person who is by disposition patient, kind, and forbearing feeds on itself and begets more of the same. We're even more empowered when we realize "love" is simply a word we use to describe value. I value you. I value this person so much that I will be patient and kind, hopeful and trusting with the, I do so because I value them as more significant even more than myself (Php. 2:3).

I think one of the best ways of developing this disposition is the practice of "spiritual disciplines." There are several good books on the topic. Richard Foster's "Celebration of Discipline" is a classic. If you like the Quaker approach to spiritual disciplines you'll enjoy Foster's book. A more evangelical tome is Donald Whitney's "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life." It's a little more concrete than Foster's book. Since you're a woman you might consider Barbra Hughes' "Disciplines of a Godly Woman," although it is written for married women. She may have a volume written for the younge woman. If you're interested in something more theological then "Knowing God" by J. I. Packer is a must read. I've read all these books more than once and highly recommend them. For the men reading this post R. Kent Hughes' book, "Disciplines for the Godly Man" is also highly recommended.

Something else I'd like you to consider: if you're not out and about acting like the world then you're already godly whether you feel it or not.

Thanks ,brother.I love,love,love that portion of scripture.I would like to commit it to memory.

I have read Jim's ," Knowing God" and I own Barbara's book that you mentioned.

I appreciate your encouragement too.
Let's keep on spurring each other on to love and good works! :)

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks ,brother.I love,love,love that portion of scripture.I would like to commit it to memory.

I have read Jim's ," Knowing God" and I own Barbara's book that you mentioned.

I appreciate your encouragement too.
Let's keep on spurring each other on to love and good works! :)
If you've read Packer's book (and appreciated it) then I recommend Francis Schaeffer's trilogy. I think those two should be required reading.

Upvote 0