How do we know Santa Claus doesn't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I didn't accuse anyone of being demonic. Without mentioning names, I said that some of the bad behavior around here struck me as almost demonic, and you asked if I had you in mind. I admitted that I did, and given your behavior since, I have seen no reason to alter that assessment.
Silmarien, you do a great job of refuting yourself. Saying that behaviour strikes you as "almost demonic" would be a horrible thing for you to say, but fortunately in this case it just makes you look ridiculous and proves my point for me.

This isn't a meltdown. I commented on having issues with depression, and you are weaponizing the taboo against mental health issues to further engage in mockery in order to silence dissent. This is a level of abuse I really haven't seen around here before, and now it's taken on an almost misogynist quality as well, since you're all but accusing me of hysteria for calling you out on your behavior. That's right out of the 19th century handbook on how to silence women, so if you did not mean it in such a fashion, you should consider the question of why you jumped immediately to misogynistic rhetoric. This behavior is not acceptable, and if it were a Christian using such tactics against an atheist, I suspect you would agree.
You were the one who brought up your mental health issues yourself. I didn't laugh at you for them, but rather considered the role that these may have played in you becoming a Christian, and the role they may still play in your seeing mild criticism as horrendous abuse.

As for misogyny, that is a very serious charge, and not one you should use lightly (I notice how you slid from saying my "abuse has taken on an almost misogynist quality" to saying that I "jumped almost immediately to misogynistic rhetoric". This poorly-organised thinking is characteristic of you, and when you start lashing out at people it makes conversations unpleasant.

Fortunately, there is a solution, which is to put you on my Ignore list - something I do not do lightly. It would be impolite of me to say more, so I shall just say goodbye.

Goodbye.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the contrary. Games can teach us a good deal. And this particular game is inviting you to disprove something. That seems highly relevant on a debating forum.
If you can't do it, or won't try to do it, then say so.

If you want to teach something make your case. I have no intentions of playing a game where you ask for something to be disproven and then you make ridiculous objections to it. It is sufficient for a child to disbelieve Santa when their parents, who didn't believe in him when they told their child, tell the child they made it up. @drich0150 has spent hours of research giving far more reason than it would take to convince a child, let alone a sincere adult and it will not convince either of you. It's not a game, it's a farce and mockery of your sincerity and credibility. So make your case if you have one, the veiled strawman you call a game, is not one.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't accuse anyone of being demonic. Without mentioning names, I said that some of the bad behavior around here struck me as almost demonic, and you asked if I had you in mind. I admitted that I did, and given your behavior since, I have seen no reason to alter that assessment.

I commented on having issues with depression, and you are weaponizing the taboo against mental health issues to further engage in mockery in order to silence dissent.
Count me in on both accounts.

• Friendly
Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately, there is a solution, which is to put you on my Ignore list - something I do not do lightly. It would be impolite of me to say more, so I shall just say goodbye.

Goodbye.
Is acting like a decent human being so far out of your ability that you have to put someone on ignore because they call out your misogyny and mental health shaming? I suffer depression too sometimes, will you have to ignore me too because you can't restrain yourself from weaponizing that to your purposes? You have let your agenda make you sick.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you want to teach something make your case. I have no intentions of playing a game where you ask for something to be disproven and then you make ridiculous objections to it. It is sufficient for a child to disbelieve Santa when their parents, who didn't believe in him when they told their child, tell the child they made it up. @drich0150 has spent hours of research giving far more reason than it would take to convince a child, let alone a sincere adult and it will not convince either of you. It's not a game, it's a farce and mockery of your sincerity and credibility. So make your case if you have one, the veiled strawman you call a game, is not one.
I am teaching something, Sanoy. And I am making my case. Or rather, you're making it for me by the way you refuse to engage in it.
I think you know that if you try to prove that Santa doesn't exist, I will respond by using the same arguments that Christians use in response to atheists. And when I do that, you will be unable to defeat them. And you want to avoid that - I suspect - because if that happens you will then be faced with the interesting spectacle of your own arguments being successfully used to defend the indefensible.
And from there, it's a short step to ask: if the arguments for God can be used to argue for the non-existent, then maybe the God they were originally created to defend...is also non-existent.

Now: back to business.
Can I take it that your responses are (a) or (c)?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Is acting like a decent human being so far out of your ability that you have to put someone on ignore because they call out your misogyny and mental health shaming? I suffer depression too sometimes, will you have to ignore me too because you can't restrain yourself from weaponizing that to your purposes? You have let your agenda make you sick.
Calm down, Sanoy. If you don't want to talk to me any more, then stop doing so.
I was forced to put Silmarien on Ignore because I felt it was the only way to stop her from continuing into an increasingly bitter argument.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was forced to put Silmarien on Ignore because I felt it was the only way to stop her from continuing into an increasingly bitter argument.
This real easy. Write it down. Be a good person.

This is my last reply, your behavior is despicable.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There are similar arguments about Jesus. Namely, that the Christian religion was the evolution of a real Jewish person named "Joshua" or "Jesus".
What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the Word of Life⁠— and the life was manifested, and we have seen and testify and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us⁠— what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ. These things we write, so that our joy may be made complete.
— 1 John 1:1-4

For we did not follow cleverly devised tales when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
— 2 Peter 1:16

God’s word disagrees with your premise.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On the contrary. Games can teach us a good deal. And this particular game is inviting you to disprove something. That seems highly relevant on a debating forum.
If you can't do it, or won't try to do it, then say so.

What you need to think over, Sanoy, is what option you will take. You seem to have some difficulty with this. So let me remind you. I said that your options are:
"a. Admit that you can't prove, demonstrate or at least make a good case for Santa not really existing.
b. Show that you can prove, demonstrate or make such a case, by doing so.
c. Or, failing both a and b, please not derail the thread."
From your failure to do a or b, it seems like you're moving to option c. If so, please could you say so, and then we can move on?

Of course I can. and let me remind you, I started this game in response to a Christian who claimed it was possible - indeed, easy - to prove that Santa doesn't exist. All I did was say: okay, prove it to me then. Now you don't have to play if you don't want to, of course. Just take option c.
But if you're still around here, and you do choose to play, then all you have to do is tell me why you think Santa doesn't exist.

But you don't need to know that. All you need to know is why you don't believe in Santa. Then you can explain it to me.
I mean, I presume you have reasons? Otherwise you would believe that he exists, right?
Search within yourself. Ask yourself: really, why don't I believe in Santa?
Then tell me.
Of course, if you do search within yourself...is it possible you may come to believe in Santa?

Of course I'm not. The rules are plain to see here. Just prove to me that Santa doesn't exist.

ok. Here you go.

Evidence, Exhibit A: December 6, 343 AD [also see this link]

Evidence, Exhibit B: Saint Nicolas was a ...... uh, well......... a saint. So that "means" that just short of any scandal like the one involving the Roman Catholic church today, there is another contingent historical 'truth' about Saint Nicolas which sits in an intricate context to earlier Christian ideas and infers something additional, something possibly even superlative, and if true means I get to have my cake and eat it too. Yay! Spread the Yuletide Cheer, anyway!

Put together, this "means" that the Jolly old elf dressed in red who, by legend, comes down the chimney is a figment of our imagination, even if a rather wonderful figment if I dare say. There: Proof!

That was a cool picture, but it never really came to anything, which was a little disappointing.
That's because you chose to select out and only address a few of the several points I made which it represented. To me, that list is to be seen as an essential [set] but you just proceeded to ignore without mention those parts that didn't pique your interest, I guess. So, there is a bear in the woods .... you best be hi-tailing it, Kahn!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.