How do we know Santa Claus doesn't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a serious question about the methodology used to determine the difference between a real person and a fiction.

Please note, although I do not believe in Santa, I may be (sarcastically) using arguments for his possible existence based on the apologetics used for a Christian God.

Things such as..

Christmas makes no sense without Santa.
Santa needs to be accepted by faith. He is not a genie who has to show up and prove his existence to you. You must genuinely want a relationship with him if you want to see him in your life, etc....

So, how do we know the truth about Santa?

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a serious question about the methodology used to determine the difference between a real person and a fiction.

Please note, although I do not believe in Santa, I may be (sarcastically) using arguments for his possible existence based on the apologetics used for a Christian God.

Things such as..

Santa needs to be accepted by faith. He is not a genie who has to show up and prove his existence to you. You must genuinely want a relationship with him if you want to see him in your life, etc....

... If I took your question seriously, like really seriously, then I'd have to ask you what your methodology is for determining whether or not @Resha Caner exists! ^_^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A couple things come to mind. Santa is not associated with a set of Christmas texts that some believe are scripture and that relate prophecies and testimonies to his existence, person, works, teachings, and purpose. Also there is not a divine Person, Christmas Spirit, who indwells believers in Santa, who teaches them them the truth about Santa, and transforms them into the image of Santa from one degree of glory to another.

Your are right that they both share the aspect of faith, and maybe some other loosely related things such as gift giving and song singing. But the faith of one is grounded in a robust metaphysical framework, and the other is not. At least, that's what I can offer on only a couple sips of coffee. ;)

• Winner
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,978.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
For me, it is not a matter of knowing whether or not Santa exists, but about assessing the probability of his existence and the pragmatic consequences if such an entity is real.

Holywood film producers (apparently), many young children (demonstrably) and numerous parents (diversely) assert that he is real. Film producers are mercenary, young children are gullible, and numerous parents have alternate agendas, so these assertions may safely be disregarded. There is no other meaningful or significant evidence for Santa's existence. Consequently, the pragmatic approach is to provisionally assume he does not exist and to operate on that basis. For example, at Christmas I did not rely upon Santa to provide presents for my children, but undertook the task myself. There are no apparent downsides to this approach.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with the premise as I believe we did, in fact, see God in the person of Jesus Christ; fully man, fully God. So, the question shouldn't be if there is a God or not, but whether or not you trust in the person and works of Jesus that testify to that He is God.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"Santa Claus" is the evolution/secularization of a real life Christian saint who did exist, St. Nicholas of Myra (d. 342). So that's how we know.

(I wonder if this will happen centuries into the future with regard to people from today...like if in the future for some reason only a minority of people believe that Donald Trump ever existed, but almost everyone knows of Alec Baldwin's caricature of him, then anyone who points out "No, Donald Trump was a real guy, almost completely separate from what we've made out of him" will probably just seem like a crazy person. Hahaha.)

Upvote 0

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Santa Claus" is the evolution/secularization of a real life Christian saint who did exist, St. Nicholas of Myra (d. 342). So that's how we know.

There are similar arguments about Jesus. Namely, that the Christian religion was the evolution of a real Jewish person named "Joshua" or "Jesus".

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are similar arguments about Jesus. Namely, that the Christian religion was the evolution of a real Jewish person named "Joshua" or "Jesus".

Sure! But the focus here is on whether or not we're going to get Christmas presents from a heavy-set jolly dude who flies reindeer, not on whether or not Jesus was, is, and will be a Real Person. So, let's stay on target here :cool::

fbsantaarrival.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagree with the premise as I believe we did, in fact, see God in the person of Jesus Christ; fully man, fully God. So, the question shouldn't be if there is a God or not, but whether or not you trust in the person and works of Jesus that testify to that He is God.

When did you see God? All you have is a number of ancient texts, many of which are anonymous, written originally in Greek. Texts that are almost 2,000 years old, give and take a few decades.

So, how did you make a determination on what the people saw?

I have to disappoint you further, I'm afraid. According to the Gospels, people who saw Jesus, thought they saw John the Baptist risen from the dead. So there was doubt as to the God/man identity.

Source:

Mark 6:14 King Herod heard about this, for Jesus’ name had become well known. Some were saying, “John the Baptist has been raised from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him.”

Luke 19:18 Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say I am?” 19 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, that one of the prophets of long ago has come back to life.” 20 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “God’s Messiah.”

So, what you have is an account. There was someone in Palestine, named "Jesus" whom the people thought was a risen from the dead John the Baptist.

And yet, you believe Jesus was not risen John. He was a fully God and fully human being. How do you know you aren't just believing a story similar to modern kids believing in Santa stories?

Upvote 0

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure! But the focus here is on whether or not we're going to get Christmas presents from a heavy-set jolly dude who flies reindeer, not on whether or not Jesus was, is, and will be a Real Person. So, let's stay on target here :cool::

Well, to be Santa's advocate here, what if Santa wants to remain hidden? That ole' fellow is very crafty with how he is getting presents to the kids.

Also, consider this. God/Jesus is now doing his work through other people. Perhaps that's how Santa is doing his work also?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, to be Santa's advocate here, what if Santa wants to remain hidden? That ole' fellow is very crafty with how he is getting presents to the kids.

Also, consider this. God/Jesus is now doing his work through other people. Perhaps that's how Santa is doing his work also?

**ahem** .... Someone has been reading too much Sartre lately. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Things such as..

What is real is all in your mind.

Upvote 0

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I heard that "Santa" was a typo and was actually supposed to be Satan. So yeah, he does exist!

Yes, there is a SATAN on twitter who complains, around Christmas time, that he/she are getting presents requests from kids who can't spell very well.

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
**ahem** .... Someone has been reading too much Sartre lately. :rolleyes:

Never heard of him before you brought him up. Maybe the crazy (or great) minds have similar thoughts, occasionally?

I have been influenced somewhat by the Street Epistemology by Anthony Magnabosco (youtube channel)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never heard of him before you brought him up. Maybe the crazy (or great) minds have similar thoughts, occasionally?

I have been influenced somewhat by the Street Epistemology by Anthony Magnabosco (youtube channel)

I kind of thought you ... were. Have you seen my critique of one of his more 'interesting' videos? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...just an f.y.i. in case you're interested, the late Sartre was an existential atheist and somewhat different in his epistemology from you're Peter Boghossian type of atheist. Maybe you need to live a little and get out more, see more of this big beautiful atheist world rather than just standing at the top of the Sears Tower looking down upon all of concrete creation, thinking "....meh!" :cool:

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Things such as..

Very important points you make. It is wise to not remain in belief all your life.....but there should be some evidence associated when the faith we say we have. Yet, this evidence cannot be shared....for it is presented only to the one who is ready for it....in secret.

I would say that the story of Santa is interesting and wide spread. So much so that it's origin and possible alternate meanings warrants looking into. There may be meanings, not too far from the ways to salvation explained by the religious. Maybe your santa will eventually lead you to the same path that the religious eventually come to.

So we all should respect the beliefs of other while encouraging the moving passed simple belief, into knowing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.