Status
Not open for further replies.

nycbeena

Feb 13, 2004
✟135.00
Faith
Christian
???
i am tryin to have a closer connection with god...but i am afraid that i will lose myself in the process....as in things i do that arent negative that brings me joy i.e. rap music, movies etc..?

also i am just now (as of 2 days) attempting to have this closer connection an wanted to know is it wrong that my x girlfriend who i loved with all my heart and soul(whom left me b/c i wasnt christian) is my motivation and part of the reason i am makin this attempt?..i repeat she is only part of the reason cause i want this relatioship for myself too...

William Nunn

Babies enjoy living too!
Jan 10, 2004
Kentucky
✟615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you have a connection with God, then you will not lose yourself in the process, you will become a kajillion times better than you were. Saying that you are afraid of losing some of the interests you have now if you pursue God, is like a cancer patient saying that they won't feel like the same person if the get a huge tumor removed. Pursue God with all your heart, and it will bring you more joy than any music or movie EVER could.

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
My only advice to you is to take things slow. Being a christian is truly amazing, and will open to your eyes to things you never thought of doing. However, i don't believe that you should just suddenly stop listening to rap or whatever it is that you enjoy doing. Just have faith in God and all the other things will jsut fall into place. My experience of other people in your position is that the gave up there old lifestyle the moment they came to know Jesus, but ultimately came to restent him as they couldn't get used to their new lifestyle. Being a christian isn't about a lifestyle- it's about a set of beliefs. God doesn't want you to be anything other than yourself. Just have faith in God, and everything else will follow.

Upvote 0

JesusInMyHeart

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
✟608.00
Faith
Christian
Praise God...this is wonderful news that you have come to Christ...

"Stepping into Wholeness"....means we are learning how to move from point A to point B.

We are learning how to move from our brokenness and sin to wholeness and healing in Christ. The Bible tells us that if we have the faith the size of a mustard seed, things can happen. You see, it's not so much the size of your faith as it is the object of your faith.

Here's a story that will make you think:

There's a story told of a farmer, who had a huge farm, and next to him was another huge farm, and there was a long road from his farm house to the other farm house, and in early March when there was still snow on the ground and ice on the river that separated the two farms, the farmer had a crisis and he couldn't work the road, but he still needed to get to the other farmer's farm, so he took the shortest way and he ran across his fields and got to the river. It was early March and he didn't have much faith that the ice was very thick, so he got down on the edge of the ice and he laid on the ice on his face because he heard if you spread out the ice won't break, and he pulled himself with his fingers and hands across the ice because he didn't want it to break.

He gets half way out to the middle of the river when he begins to hear that low rumbling of ice breaking up. And it gets louder, and louder, and louder, and he's certain he's going to drown right there on the spot. He can't stand it any longer and he lifts his head up, and he looks across at his neighbor's field, and the rumbling that he hears is his neighbor coming with eight horses and wagon at him at full speed. The guy panics and he stands and he starts waving, "No, no, no, no, no!" The neighbor doesn't see him, drives his wagon across the river, and up the other bank and he's gone.

You know what that shows? It's not the size of your faith; it's the thickness of the ice. It's the object of your faith. The guy on his face did not have much faith but he had thick ice. The guy in the wagon had all kinds of faith and he had thick ice.

What's the object of your cry? Ask. Believe, even if it's only a microscopic belief, that God can restore you, fix you. You may not be able to see your own faith, it's small, it's microscopic, but the God of the Universe has a microscope that searches people's hearts and God can see your faith, and it's enough.

The Kingdom of God reigns in our heart when we accept the Gospel message into our life. The good news is that when the kingdom takes up residence in our heart - when we invite the Kingdom to rule our life - then we receive salvation: that is, eternal security with God. It’s good news because it shows us how to receive the gift that we will never lose - God’s love for us through Jesus. We receive the gift that we'll never lose when we accept Jesus Christ (meaning, Jesus the anointed one) as our Lord and Savior. Jesus is THE anointed one.

"Amen"....

God Bless

May the Lord fill Your heart and life in every way...

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
nycbeena said:
???
i am tryin to have a closer connection with god...but i am afraid that i will lose myself in the process....as in things i do that arent negative that brings me joy i.e. rap music, movies etc..?

also i am just now (as of 2 days) attempting to have this closer connection an wanted to know is it wrong that my x girlfriend who i loved with all my heart and soul(whom left me b/c i wasnt christian) is my motivation and part of the reason i am makin this attempt?..i repeat she is only part of the reason cause i want this relatioship for myself too...
Hi!

Oh I understand this fear! :) But it is really a fear that causes us to fail to see the reality of what God desires for us . .

We do not loose ourselves in God so that we loose all sense of ourselves, and somehow are swallowed up in something else . .

We find ourselves when we loose oursevles in God . .

And when we loose ourselves in God, He gives us Himself!

You do not have to be afraid of "not-being" :)

As far as your other concern, God takes what we offer Him and blesses it . .

The more pure the offering, the greater the blessing that comes to us . .

As you "loose" yourself in God, become closer to God, He will change your motivations so they become more pure . . but you have to be willing to loose yourself for His sake . .

Jesus promised that he whol looses his life for His sake will find it . . you do not have to be afraid of this . .. trust God . .

If you ask for a close relationship with Him, He is not going to give you something evil .. :)

Can I suggest a book to you? It's called The Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila . .. I think you will find your concerns and questions answered there and much, much more . . :)

Peace in Him1

Upvote 0

Jack_Racz

Paid For By His Blood
Feb 3, 2004
Lubbock, Texas
Visit site
✟1,491.00
Faith
Methodist
I think this quote can help. ;)

I will share His word, try to model myself after Him, and live a great life. But God didn’t call everyone to dedicate every waking minute to Him. While thanking Him and realizing that He created us and will save us, we must enjoy this earth, our friends, our families. Living our life without sin IS necessary – but living it without fun is just plain stupid.
--Brian Mack

Upvote 0

cyberwing

Blessed beyond the curse!
Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟29,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
nycbeena said:
???

nycbeena,
:hug: Oh how wonderful to have you join the family of JESUS! You have really done more than most, in seeing that this is about a personal relationship with Him! You don't have to give up everything to be a Christian. Quite the contrary, you will gain everything! This idea of 'giving up everything' is what is known as 'bondage and legalism' and in my humble opinion is a lot of garbage the enemy has saddled well-meaning Christians with! There are LOTS of wonderful rappers doing Christian music that are reaching kids these legalistic sorts will NEVER reach!! Uplifting lyrics that encourage in stead of depress the listener! There are simply awesome movies being done to reflect the glory of our Lord JESUS. May I suggest Joshua. Most awesome movie I have seen in a LONG time! Waiting to see The Passion though.....:)
http://www.joshuathemovie.com/

You see nycbeena, Father God made you so special and unique! You have interests and gifts that are lined up with the eventual purpose HE has for you. HE doesn't want you to give up everything you are, instead HE wants you to give up the things that are negative influences and let the enemy drag you away from HIM! Ask HIM to show you what they are and He will, don't ask people, they have their own prejudices and will attempt to saddle you with their own brand of legalism!!

If what I am saying resonates with you, let me suggest you read this amazing book, Waking the Dead by John Eldredge. It will set your heart free to fulfill the purpose God has for you and help you ENJOY your life. Jesus said HE came to give you LIFE and that more ABUNDANT! John 10:10 Jesus WANTS you to enjoy your life! To live it fully ALIVE! You will understand why some Christians are so full of JOY! If you want that, READ that book. It has set me free. Also if you would like feel free to pm me anytime. Be blessed by our Lord Jesus!
:hug: ~Cyberwing

Upvote 0

Kepa

Dec 27, 2003
Not here
Visit site
✟15,975.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I ask that you check your motivation for this. You said you are doing this "partly" to get your girlfriend back. Realise Christianity isn't easy, talk to a Pastor or Youth minister in your area.

And I understand your fear of losing yourself... I had a friend who was a christian, I asked him how to become a christian, and he said that you have to put music after God. I was afraid of that. But realise, your old nature is that of death, and those things associated with that death must be taken off. Paul says in Colossians to "take off the old man". This though does not mean giving up fun. You can enjoy listening to rap, and going to movies. But, you must watch how those things are influencing you. If it is in a negative way and causing you to sin, cut it off.

But really, check your motivation, and get to talking to a local pastor. And get yourself a bible! Everything you ever wanted to know about God and Christianity is in there.

Upvote 0

nycbeena

Feb 13, 2004
✟135.00
Faith
Christian
i have a bible nad have been reading it..but i decided to stop asking peopl for advice cause honestly its boils down to them given their own understanding of the word and their opinion on it..

i truly believe that just because u watch a horror movie it will nto corrupt u, if u mind is that weak u really need to look deep in urself to see why it effects u like that.

entertainment has nothing to do with how u lead ur life

and as far as the g/f thing i havent even asked her back and told her dont want her back until im on the level which makes me a christian in me and my gods eyes notanyones elses definition of what one is

but thank u for ur help

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Just remember that people have walked this path before . . they know what you are going through, but also know that God has to speak to you, reveal truth to you . .

I pray that God will speak clearly and deeply about all of this in your soul and lead you closer to Him than you can begin to imagine . . . :)

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God created you uniquely with your own talents, tastes, and personality. Just because you've been born again doesn't mean you have to start listening to the CCM bands or give up your dream to pursue carpentry.

Your character needs to look like Christ's. Loving everybody as yourself. Being a good example to others in everything. Being careful to build your brothers and sisters up rather than tearing them down through careless pleasures. That sort of thing.

Upvote 0

choceo

Jan 18, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
✟224.00
Faith
Christian
what up Fam!!

One of the ill things about Jesus is that he said in his word

"For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."

So yo it's real..when you get reborn in Christ you become a news creature as God works in you show you the purpose that he has for your life...

So I wolud encourage you to pray to God for understanding, read the word daily and pray all the time..treat your relationship with God like you would treat a relationship with anyone that you love. Relationships and you get to know more about the other person when you spend more quality time with them. So you have to do that with God. Finally i would pray that God would send you a older person that you can pray with and that can hold you accountable as you walk...fellowshipping with other Christians who are striving to be closer to God daily is extremely important.

As far as you loving hip-hop music..bust how God is so creative there is a pretty vibrant Christian hip-hop scene in NYC, Philly, L.A., Detroit and Atlanta.

when you get a chance should check out some christian hip-hop websites where you listen to some dope hip-hop and fellowship with Chritians that share your love for hip-hop music...

if you want more info on Christian hip-hop shows, artists in the NYC area holler at me whenever at clayinhishands@mac.com (because I don't have enough posts to post a link to another website yet)

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
nycbeena said:
???

I was shocked to see you post this.. and very happy.. At the beginning I was in the exact situation.. I know exactly what you are talking about..

I was afraid of loosing myself.. and I also have someone I love so very much..

It is not wrong.. I am very sure God is very happy.. for her.. and for you to love someone like her.. because she brought you closer to him..

I would really love to share more with you!!! to help you feel better.. and more understanding.. about all this.. I went through the same exact thing..

Message me.. when you get the time!!!

God Bless you!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
you can't lose yourself by getting closer to God. All you will get to, is to KNOW more about yourself and hence take whatever change of action you might take. I've got the exact question asked in my CF homepage.. with a brief answer..

which is just the question that lots of non-christians like asking about and new christians who get confused sometimes. ;)

give God more time; give yourself more time to really get to know God, and you'll truly experience the answer.

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
Blessed-one said:
you can't lose yourself by getting closer to God. All you will get to, is to KNOW more about yourself and hence take whatever change of action you might take. I've got the exact question asked in my CF homepage.. with a brief answer..

which is just the question that lots of non-christians like asking about and new christians who get confused sometimes. ;)

give God more time; give yourself more time to really get to know God, and you'll truly experience the answer.

I agree completely.. I feared I would loose myself completely.. but I came to find out.. I found much more of myself.. when I let him in!

Upvote 0

Ceris

I R the Nutness (and I love sedatta )
Mar 10, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,150.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To reitterate what the others have said, you WILL find more and more of (and about) yourself as you get closer to God. As for giving anything up, I can assure you that anything that I have given up for Jesus I was better off without it anyways. I am overjoyed that you have decided to pursue a personal relationship with God. It is a step that few take, yet it offers all the gain.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.