How do the Orthodox Church view Augustine?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And how does is it different from Western Christianity?

Speaking only for myself, Augustine had a lot of good ideas, but his proto-predestination I disagree with. His writings served as a goodly portion of the foundation of Calvinism, a heresy of heresies.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Confessions" is an utter masterpiece. To have not read that autobiography is a true loss. St. Augustine only spoke Latin. He had zero Greek. That alone cost him much I think. He was not in the same crowd as titans like the Cappadocian Fathers and other Eastern illumined masters, and there is something to be said about collaboration spiritually and caucusing with other enlightened men. St. Augustine had a tremendous amount of guilt about his perverse and passionate past. I feel he took man's fallen nature much further than the rest of the Fathers of those times, and it is some of St. Augustine's views that gave rise to other Western bad ideas. However, if you read De civitate Dei it is a true master work. After the sack of Rome and fall of the West, St. Augustine was a true shining source of encouragement, hope, and prayer. As a saint, we can learn from his journey, steadfast love of God, fierce faith, and how he changed his life for the better. His morality was amazing. But his views on sex, marriage, intimacy, pretty harsh. If you're truly interested, Father Seraphim Rose was a big fan of St. Augustine, and wrote some interesting things about him. The Orthodox Church doesn't see him as the red-headed stepchild hooligan some try to make it out to be.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The thing about St Augustine is that despite being a bit off on his theology at times, he did not teach others. Apart from his run in with Pelagias, he was simply a prolific writer. Others took what he had written and ran with it but Augustine himself was humble enough to recognise that he had been wrong about some things.

Upvote 0