How do Protestants Settle on a Denomination? (No Debating Catholics/Orthodox)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Being Catholic, I'm very comforted by my denomination's historical claim, and deep entrenchment in Holy Scripture & Holy Tradition; Orthodox feel the same way.
For the purpose of this thread, I'm not looking to debate Catholicism/Orthodoxy v. Protestants; the above statement was just very brief background on how I and many others appreciate our denomination.
My question to the Protestants is, how do you settle on one denomination or church? Without any sort of authority, be it the papacy (pope) or councils of bishops to keep your church on track, how do you figure out that your particular denomination is more like what Jesus & the Apostles taught than any other? Because when you get deep enough into theology, there can only be 1 true church; if you stay protestant, how do you determine which one that is?
By the way, there's double meaning in the (No Debating Catholics/Orthodox). I don't want protestants debating Catholics/Orthodox, and I don't want Catholics/Orthodox debating protestants. For the purpose of this thread, I just want Protestants to discuss (and maybe debate) how you choose a Church that doesn't have the historical claim of Catholics & Orthodox, how you choose which of the denominations is the best.
Lord, forgive me for perpetuating us/them mentalities, and treating Your children & followers as seperate groups instead of the 1 body of Christ.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I reject the idea of "one true church" if "one true church" means a man-made denomination which is united by man-made creeds, confessions, and traditions. IOW, a visible institution.

There is one true church - the church of Jesus Christ which expresses itself all around the world in many denominations (even in Roman Catholicism).

And I am a member of a denomination with creeds, confessions, and a visible structure - so I am not against these things.

But I don't believe that any denomination is perfect. All of them have problems.

I chose the church I'm in now because:
  1. In my study of Scripture I've become convinced that this denomination most aligns with what the Scriptures teach (although it is not perfect).
  2. God has providentially led me to this denomination (through life circumstances).

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would look at there statement of doctrine, does it match what the Word of God says.
I imagine this would be close to what Catholics do.
Prominent movements (incomplete list):

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not into denominations. When I originally came to the Lord (1980), it was a "minor" miracle that led to me attending a particular church. It was Assembly of God. I was there for 18 years. In that time I was active as a bus driver picking up kids from non-Christian familes, and I played trombone in the church orchestra.

I needed to leave out of respect for my wife due to an issue that came up. We also moved around a lot after that in the Seattle area. Each time we moved we attended a different chruch. One was "sorta" baptist, one was foursquare, two were non-denominational and one was Christian (the offshoot of Church of Christ).

When we moved to Kentucky seven years ago we started with Baptist, then changed to Church of God and finally found a church home in the local Christian church.

I didn't agree with every single thing taught at any of those churches. However, my disagreement was on peripheral teachings. Doctrine only became an issue somewhat in the AG church (I never spoke in tongues and actually caught a "prophesy" in being a bold faced lie), and a big issue in the Baptist church here in KY (my view of the fate of the lost).

The only "so called" Christian denominations I could not possibly attend because we disagree on basic doctrines are:
Mormon
Jehovah's Witness
Catholic
Seventh Day Adventist

It's possible there are others, but I'm ignorant of their core beliefs so I can't really speak to them.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My question to the Protestants is, how do you settle on one of your denominations or churches?
I was raised non-denominational and went to a Baptist school for 9 years, a Methodist church High school through university, and then converted to the Catholic Church, divorced and lapsed from the RCC, now I currently attend a Lutheran church - but along the way diverted to Messianic Judaism. For me, I like liturgy, I like the formal worship of a Lutheran, Catholic, or Episcopal church. However, my personal life and some beliefs preclude me from being Catholic at this point.

Most Protestants go where they like the minister and feel comfortable. There are also those that study the actual doctrine and beliefs of a particular denomination and feel they most agree with.

Without any sort of authority, be it the papacy (pope) or councils of bishops to keep your church on track,
You misunderstand most Protestant churches. Many have an episcopal structure with Bishops, Ministers, etc. much as the Catholic Church does. Protestants that fall in that category include Episcopal/Anglican, some Lutherans, some Methodist, etc. Those that are congregational or non-episcopal in polity look to the scriptures and their pastor or denominational President/leader for direction. Almost all Protestants affirm the universal church councils, but not the Catholic councils.

how do you figure out that your particular denomination is more like what Jesus & the Apostles taught than any other?

Mainly from study and personal belief, much as why most Catholics believe their structure and beliefs are correct.
Because when you get deep enough into theology, there can only be 1 true church;
I think most Protestants would disagree, for many reasons that have had volumes written on it.

if you stay protestant, how do you determine which one that is?
Prayer and personal study, again, much as Catholics would.
By the way, there's double meaning in the (No Debating Catholics/Orthodox). I don't want protestants debating Catholics/Orthodox, and I don't want Catholics/Orthodox debating protestants. For the purpose of this thread, I just want Protestants to discuss (and maybe debate) how you choose a Church that doesn't have the historical claim of Catholics & Orthodox, how you choose which of the 40,000 or so denominations is the best.
It is not really fair to throw out a lot of statements of "one true church", historicity claims, and the frequently quoted and misunderstood X thousand denomination statement and then say no debate...

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Being Catholic, I'm very comforted by my denomination's historical claim, and deep entrenchment in Holy Scripture & Holy Tradition; Orthodox feel the same way.
For the purpose of this thread, I'm not looking to debate Catholicism/Orthodoxy v. Protestants; the above statement was just very brief background on how I and many others appreciate our denomination.
My question to the Protestants is, how do you settle on one of your denominations or churches? Without any sort of authority, be it the papacy (pope) or councils of bishops to keep your church on track, how do you figure out that your particular denomination is more like what Jesus & the Apostles taught than any other? Because when you get deep enough into theology, there can only be 1 true church; if you stay protestant, how do you determine which one that is? .
I took the faith of the historic church--the undivided church from which we all come--and subtracted all the unscriptural additions, innovations, alterations, etc. made along the way by the Eastern Orthodox churches and the Roman Catholic Church (mainly the latter), while not taking away any of the essentials.

The Thirty-nine Articles summarize all of that quite well, so that helped to identify the church I was going to focus on the most.

This brings me to the oldest church in the Gentile world (and I am a Gentile) which is also at the center or mainstream of historic Christianity, not falling off towards the extremes at either end of the spectrum of churches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without any sort of authority, be it the papacy (pope) or councils of bishops to keep your church on track, how do you figure out that your particular denomination is more like what Jesus & the Apostles taught than any other?
Without getting into specifics like purgatory, indulgences, the assumption of Mary etc., perhaps we should recognize that papal authority and councils of bishops are no guarantee of that either.

Because when you get deep enough into theology, there can only be 1 true church;
Yes, the Body of Christ to which all believers belong. Amen. Splitting it further than that is a function of people putting increasing the population of their church above increasing the population of heaven, putting their earthly kingdom above the Kingdom of God.

For the purpose of this thread, I just want Protestants to discuss (and maybe debate) how you choose a Church that doesn't have the historical claim of Catholics & Orthodox…
I grew up in the RCC and understand that their historical claim is a major thing to them. When God led me away from the RCC and into his word I began to see that so many of the things I grew up learning were unbiblical (I say this for context only). Therefore, I put their historical claim in the same category as a lot of things they teach, specious at best.

…how you choose which of the 40,000 or so denominations is the best.
Would you be able to provide a list? I’ve asked for one before when folks have thrown out numbers such as yours, but no one has been so kind as to post one.

Circling back…

My question to the Protestants is, how do you settle on one of your denominations or churches?
It’s all right here, brother (or sister)…
91501a1d00c878c4b3bc5006a91cc6e4378601af.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is really simple for me, it primarily boils down to a Christian denominations position on soteriology (usually expressed in a statement of faith) and whether said denomination is Calvinistic or not, if not, then I prefer to pass. There is a host of denominations that are Calvinistic in their soteriology or can be included under a broader Calvinistic category, Reformed would be a bit more narrow category, but getting the gospel right is of upmost importance to me.

• Agree
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is really simple for me, it primarily boils down to a Christian denominations position on soteriology (usually expressed in a statement of faith) and whether said denomination is Calvinistic or not, if not, then I prefer to pass. There is a host of denominations that are Calvinistic in their soteriology or can be included under a broader Calvinistic category, Reformed would be a bit more narrow category, but getting the gospel right is of upmost importance to me.
I have to confess that I don't even know what Calvinistic means other than it is based on some guy named Calvin (not the Calvin and Hobbs one). And since it is named after a man who is not Jesus, I'm not really interested in what "calvinism" teaches. I'm interested in what Christ and his apostles taught.

AFAIK, my beliefs just may line up with Calvinism. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My question to the Protestants is, how do you settle on one of your denominations or churches? Without any sort of authority, be it the papacy (pope) or councils of bishops to keep your church on track, how do you figure out that your particular denomination is more like what Jesus & the Apostles taught than any other? Because when you get deep enough into theology, there can only be 1 true church; if you stay protestant, how do you determine which one that is?
By the way, there's double meaning in the (No Debating Catholics/Orthodox). I don't want protestants debating Catholics/Orthodox, and I don't want Catholics/Orthodox debating protestants. For the purpose of this thread, I just want Protestants to discuss (and maybe debate) how you choose a Church that doesn't have the historical claim of Catholics & Orthodox, how you choose which of the 40,000 or so denominations is the best.
Lord, forgive me for perpetuating us/them mentalities, and treating Your children & followers as seperate groups instead of the 1 body of Christ.

Most "denominations" are fairly consistent in their core beliefs. It is, typically, only in practice that they may differ some (i.e. preaching style, music, length of service, liturgical vs. non-liturgical, etc.).

Protestants will, typically, check their Church belief and practice against what the scriptures say ... and make a change, if necessary.

Protestants also generally regard the "One Church" as including ALL baptized followers of Christ, so that it is more a question of "where do you fit" in the universal Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have to confess that I don't even know what Calvinistic means other than it is based on some guy named Calvin (not the Calvin and Hobbs one). And since it is named after a man who is not Jesus, I'm not really interested in what "calvinism" teaches. I'm interested in what Christ and his apostles taught.

AFAIK, my beliefs just may line up with Calvinism. ;)

I could probably call it Augustinianism, but I go with the term because Biblicist should be the aim of all Christians, but it is not helpful in discerning differences, or in knowing where a pastor or denomination is coming from in their interpretations, expositions, that is theologically. I think as far as interests go, I have too many, but the Scriptures are primary and everyone and everything else is subject to them.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Deu_30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

I believe...
The one true Church, the body of Christ, are all those who choose life in Jesus the Christ.
The body of Christ is not a denomination.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I could probably call it Augustinianism, but I go with the term because Biblicist should be the aim of all Christians, but it is not helpful in discerning differences, or in knowing where a pastor or denomination is coming from in their interpretations, expositions, that is theologically. I think as far as interests go, I have too many, but the Scriptures are primary and everyone and everything else is subject to them.
Well, about 8 years ago I went from belief in ECT to CI. That creates a bit of a ruckus with some people. I've found there are actually a lot of covert CI people in a lot of churches though. They just don't want to cause a lot of problems so they don't bring it up. :)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My question to the Protestants is, how do you settle on one of your denominations or churches? Without any sort of authority, be it the papacy (pope) or councils of bishops to keep your church on track, how do you figure out that your particular denomination is more like what Jesus & the Apostles taught than any other? Because when you get deep enough into theology, there can only be 1 true church; if you stay protestant, how do you determine which one that is?

I didn't choose.

12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”
13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?
4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?
5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task.
12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues ? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

And yet I will show you the most excellent way....

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,b but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."
--------

He will come.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It is not really fair to throw out a lot of statements of "one true church", historicity claims, and the frequently quoted and misunderstood X thousand denomination statement and then say no debate...
Fair point, and my apologies. I struggled awhile with how to word the question; making phrases sound nice is not one of the things I'm good at. I don't know how many times I've apoligized for something I didn't mean to sound harsh.
I've been Catholic all my life, and every Catholic church does mass the same way, minus a few superficial details. But since coming to college, I've heard a lot about people going to different churches, seemingly floating around until they find one they like, and I wanted some input on how that process works.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fair point, and my apologies. I struggled awhile with how to word the question; making phrases sound nice is not one of the things I'm good at. I don't know how many times I've apoligized for something I didn't mean to sound harsh.
I've been Catholic all my life, and every Catholic church does mass the same way, minus a few superficial details. But since coming to college, I've heard a lot about people going to different churches, seemingly floating around until they find one they like, and I wanted some input on how that process works.
I totally understand, I try to phrase things well, but I often fall short. Many people do float around looking for a pastor they like and can identify with. I tend to float around more based on theology and my studies of history and scripture. :)

I also understand that most Catholic Churches have the same Mass, I attended a Catholic Church for around 11 years. However, even though the mass is the same, the homily, music, and actual style of the Mass can vary greatly from parish to parish.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
how do you figure out that your particular denomination is more like what Jesus & the Apostles taught than any other?
First, I need however the word of God says I need to be more like Jesus. My attention first needs to be to how right now God wants me to be and live. The Bible is very clear about this.

I do not need to spend a lot of time with how a group of people I do not even know personally is claiming to be the real one church. Never mind how people I don't even know are, in comparison with each other; how am I in comparison with Jesus? Am I living and loving the way Jesus has us growing to love? Outward conformity is not the same as inwardly being conformed to the image of Jesus > Romans 8:29.

And in sharing with a church or individual, see if and how the church or person is helping me get real correction so I am maturing to be more like Jesus, and learning more how to submit to God in His peace (Colossians 3:15), and get more real in how He has us relating in His love with one another as family and with enemies > Ephesians 4:2.

Any group can compare themselves with their own standards and congratulate themselves that they have the best group. This is a basic tendency of the fallen human nature, and our Apostle Paul says not to be doing this > 2 Corinthians 10:12.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
when you get deep enough into theology, there can only be 1 true church
The one church is the body of Christ. And one basic of living as the body of Jesus > "in one body" > is how we submit to how our Heavenly Father personally rules each of us in our "hearts" >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

This is a basic of our Christian calling, and of being obedient to our Heavenly Father. So, if I want to share with God's obedient one church, I simply submit to how God personally rules me in His own peace all the time . . . as well as I have become corrected and mature to so share with God Himself in us. And His ruling of us in His peace will coordinate us with all He knows is going on in His church. God rules us according to His own level of intelligence and creativity and intel :)

And God knows what His word really means; we discover this best in how at each moment He is ruling us in His very own peace which is His own harmony of how He is and lives as love.

So, this is basic, what all are "called in one body" to do in sharing with God and one another.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For the purpose of this thread, I just want Protestants to discuss (and maybe debate) how you choose a Church that doesn't have the historical claim of Catholics & Orthodox, how you choose which of the 40,000 or so denominations is the best.
My experience is that there is no reputed group on this earth in which all members and leaders are obeying how God rules His "one body" in His own peace > Colossians 3:15. Also, to my knowledge, I do not know of any group in which all members and leaders relate the way our Apostle Paul says to relate in God's love > Ephesians 4:1-3, Ephesians 4:31-32. So, there is no outward-reputation group to choose.

But there are people who obey God's standard for selecting and trusting who is qualified to "take care of the church of God" > please see our Apostle Paul's directive of 1 Timothy 3:1-10, with our Apostle Peter's directive for how "elders" are to "feed the flock of God" and relate as leaders > 1 Peter 5:1-3. I would say I have personally gotten to know a number of men who meet these qualifications and relate like this as "examples to the flock."

And it is clear to me that a number of groups do not obey this Biblical basic. But within certain Bible claiming groups there can be pastors who are qualified according to such Biblical standards. And Jesus makes us able to tell the difference > John 10:1-30. So, I have no excuse if a predator or con artist or immature man can fool me into thinking he is a real pastor; because Jesus's "sheep", even, not only leaders, are able to smell the difference between a wolf and a good shepherd.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.