✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
According to Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev's "Orthodox Catechism":

"Immediately after the common resurrection, will be the Last Judgment at which the final decision is taken as to who is worthy of the Kingdom of heaven and who should be sentenced to the torments of Hell. Before this event, however, there exists the possibility for the person in Hell to gain release; after the Last Judgment this possibility no longer remains."

But in the NT, we read Matthew 7:21-23, Matthew 25:41, Matthew 25:46, Romans 1:24, Romans 1:26, Romans 1:28, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:19-21, Ephesians 5:5, 1 Corinthians 3:17

How do people repent in Hades?

What is an Orthodox view of NDE's?

Last edited:

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean?
The Lord says those who are in the graves will hear His voice. I don’t know how this may work but that sounds like where this might be possible.

I also believe within the scope of Matthew 22:31-40 the Lord gives tells us He is God of the living & followed up with the great commandments. This seems to give us the ability to pray for the earthly living & departed within the understanding of the Lord’s Prayer for ex.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
According to Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev's "Orthodox Catechism":

"Immediately after the common resurrection, will be the Last Judgment at which the final decision is taken as to who is worthy of the Kingdom of heaven and who should be sentenced to the torments of Hell. Before this event, however, there exists the possibility for the person in Hell to gain release; after the Last Judgment this possibility no longer remains."

But in the NT, we read Matthew 7:21-23, Matthew 25:41, Matthew 25:46, Romans 1:24, Romans 1:26, Romans 1:28, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:19-21, Ephesians 5:5, 1 Corinthians 3:17

How do people repent in Hades?

What is an Orthodox view of NDE's?
they can’t repent, but God in His mercy (especially through the prayers of the Church) can release them. God can also, seeing the state of their soul, confine them in hades until the Judgment because He knows that’s what they need.

• Useful
Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
According to the tradition that I am aware of, you have time to commit good deeds until physical death. But, good deeds are a different thing than repentance.

I believe Fr. Seraphim Rose wrote about NDE and related subjects.

• Useful
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
According to the tradition that I am aware of, you have time to commit good deeds until physical death. But, good deeds are a different thing than repentance.

I believe Fr. Seraphim Rose wrote about NDE and related subjects.
he did in The Soul After Death and Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have yet to read what he wrote about the subject. Could you summarize his opinion and the Church's teaching?
they are the brain misfiring, demonic deception, or both.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
he did in The Soul After Death and Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.
I'm sure I read that book long ago, but I couldn't remember what he said about NDE.

they are the brain misfiring, demonic deception, or both.
It seems to give false hope independent of belief. Some agnostics regard NDE as evidence for God. Is there any way to convince them that hope in eternal life depends on Christ's salvation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It seems to give false hope independent of belief. Some agnostics regard NDE as evidence for God. Is there any way to convince them that hope in eternal life depends on Christ's salvation?
they need to know Christ as the God which He is, not merely a concept or merely a thinker with ideas to be argued.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
actually, they are both worth a reread.
It has been a long time since I read The Soul After Death, but I'm sure it is still in my library. If I remember correctly, I had two problems with the book (They may be from a different book by Fr. Seraphim Rose). The first is the idea of Aerial Toll Houses. Did early saints teach this? It seems to originate from the ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead. The second is the highly negative view of the Pentecostal movement. I do remember occasional manifestations in the movement that are uncomfortable. But, in general, at least in the Northern States and Canada, most of the movement hasn't been this radical. I think the Catholic institutionalization of the manifestation of the Holy Spirit in seven sacraments only was applied in the Orthodox Church relatively recently as a reaction to Protestantism.

I have yet to read Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. I recently read its introduction on the Amazon website. I need to read the book. The subject is quite timely. As you said, "they need to know Christ as the God which He is." Not only this but people also need to know that Christ is the only God. Some oriental movements acknowledge that Christ is one of the incarnations of God. That's obviously not right. They also deny the redemption that He offers. But I would say that other religions attempt to worship a God they don't know (Act 17:23) rather than a different God (as the book's introduction implies).

I hesitated before typing these observations. This is because they are not related to the purpose of the thread.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do not think the average layperson is to be concerned with the tolls. St. John Climacus seems to encourage the average person to know how to live their faith in a basic way.

St. John Climacus tells the average layperson in first page or two of The Divine Ladder.

21. Some people living carelessly in the world have asked me: ‘We have wives and are beset with social cares, and how can we lead the solitary life?’ I replied to them: ‘Do all the good you can; do not speak evil of anyone; do not steal from anyone; do not lie to anyone; do not be arrogant towards anyone; do not hate any one; be sure you go to church; be compassionate to the needy; do not offend anyone; do not wreck another man’s domestic happiness;3 and be content with what your own wives can give you. If you behave in this way you will not be far from the Kingdom of Heaven.’

http://www.prudencetrue.com/images/TheLadderofDivineAscent

Sounds like much of Romans 13:1-14,especially Romans 13:8-10.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Did early saints teach this?
yes, it’s in St Justin Martyr.
The second is the highly negative view of the Pentecostal movement. I do remember occasional manifestations in the movement that are uncomfortable. But, in general, at least in the Northern States and Canada, most of the movement hasn't been this radical.
you should check out the Toronto blessing.

• Useful
Upvote 0