• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How Do I Stop Listening To Heavy Metal?

sheamiao

Apr 26, 2013
Remarkable
✟23,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Although i got rid of my heavy metal cd's and deleted my heavy metal albums on itunes, i recently clicked on a heavy metal video on youtube and listened to it. I'm really annoyed with myself. Does anyone know of a website about dealing with the addiction to heavy metal music?
hey ,
thanks for ur honesty there . God wants us to have a joyful life . in the amplified bible, John 10:10 Jesus came so they May have life and enjoy it , in abundance to the full , until it overflows. i try to overcome my issues by being a blessing to someone else,without God i cannot do anything.

bible says U are Child of god , U have given power to instruct , encourage, comfort, help others. U might think U have enough trouble of your own how can U help others, well, the holy spirit will lead u when U try to do good .
matt 6:3-4
But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hey ,
thanks for ur honesty there . God wants us to have a joyful life . in the amplified bible, John 10:10 Jesus came so they May have life and enjoy it , in abundance to the full , until it overflows. i try to overcome my issues by being a blessing to someone else,without God i cannot do anything.

bible says U are Child of god , U have given power to instruct , encourage, comfort, help others. U might think U have enough trouble of your own how can U help others, well, the holy spirit will lead u when U try to do good .
But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Disciple's Radical is hard rock with strong Biblical lyrics.

I'll try to find a link.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hey ,

Here it is, FYI:

Upvote 0

junior2708

Oct 2, 2017
Canindé
✟7,701.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have listened to heavy metal music for a number of years and i know that when i do, it makes me depressed, tense and generally negative feeling. Even listening to Christian metal is pretty much the same.
Lately i have been listening to some non-metal music on youtube like David Bowie, Talking Heads and Mumford And Sons. I feel much more relaxed and positive when i am listening to these artists.
My problem is i am finding it hard to get rid of my metal cd's. I would like to be able to sell them and buy some David Bowie cd's from the proceeds. Am i being dumb here?

I´ve been having the same issue. I have listened heavy metal since i was 10. I'm 20 now. It's about ten years listenning to the same style of music. Exploring a lot of bands, a lot of heavy metal styles like power metal, prog metal, christian metal, nu-metal, speed metal and so on. I'm having troubles to stop. I know that heavy metal brings you to a state of mind that is the opposite of what master Jesus teached to us. No matter how far you dilluit the heavy metal, it will alway have the caracteristics of its satanic origins from bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin.
The thing is that i still like metal. I still apreciate it.
I would like some tips to stop listening to heavy metal.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I´ve been having the same issue. I have listened heavy metal since i was 10. I'm 20 now. It's about ten years listenning to the same style of music. Exploring a lot of bands, a lot of heavy metal styles like power metal, prog metal, christian metal, nu-metal, speed metal and so on. I'm having troubles to stop. I know that heavy metal brings you to a state of mind that is the opposite of what master Jesus teached to us. No matter how far you dilluit the heavy metal, it will alway have the caracteristics of its satanic origins from bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin.
It is seemingly a lot like an addiction to refined white sugar - harmful in many ways, all the time, yet difficult to 'stop' / be freed from.
Tips on how to stop anything evil ?
Or be healed of anything so bad ?
Read again , and again, over and over, how Jesus healed people of all manner of disease and cast demons out, in the New Testament;
AND
how the disciples sent out by Him did the same thing. (healed people wherever they went).
Tip next: seek YHWH the Creator Hiimself, not healing as if it is outside or separate from Him. Seek whatever HE WANTS.

Upvote 0

BlackSabbath

Dec 31, 2017
Kelowna
✟17,849.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
When I think of rock music, I kind of think of action, excitement. Art is subjective and abstract, I that notion is a little lost these days.

Also for some, they like to listen to emotional things because it moves them and is perhaps a need for some.

I don't think morality is always clear cut or simple, like for example,I like Three Days Grace and some of their song content is quite comlicated. Their is a song "riot" which I suppose would by many seem wrong, the existence of such things are complex social issues and more or less relate to things like social inequality, and as well is mostly just the topics title and was written for an outlet. It's mostly just self expression I think.
I know a lot of rock and metal originates from R&B and blues music and I feel like in many interpertations and attempts to that form of music mostly reflect this.

I mean actually I think rock and maybe metal to a degree feel really likened to Christianty as that's what it feels like, I don't know how else to explain. The crustification thing, suffering for others sins, the way the world is. I mean I just think life feels that way.

I don't think a lot of music or art is intended to be taken entitely literal at all times either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BlackSabbath

Dec 31, 2017
Kelowna
✟17,849.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Black Sabbath mostly pretended to be satanic I think. I don't know about Led Zeppelin, I think it was because of the sexual revolution and thus they wrote their songs about partying and sex a lot and other kind of crude topics.

Upvote 0

frater_domus

Faith is all that matters.
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2018
Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a side note, I find it curious how Metal affects you. I listen to Jesus Metal most of the time and there is little that gets me more motivated. Many even have an awesome message in them. Everyone is different, I guess.

Now then, the selling part. I had a similar issue. You aware of tabletop wargaming like Warhammer 40k? Well, basically plastic soldiers you build, paint and use a set of rules to play a strategy game on a table. That is not important. What is important is that I once had a massive collection. The issue? Well, I am a competitive person, but I can not handle competitiveness in a healthy manner. I get aggressive when I lose and I tend to prioritize winning over godly actions. Not too long ago, I decided to stop competitive gaming and just use it as artistic expression and for what we call 'beer and pretzle' games. I was very slow to sell my stuff though. However, getting into a new hobby gave me motivation. I picked upo archery. Naturally, getting good gear isn't cheap. This motivated me to sell my stuff at an alarming pace. I also felt so much better, knowing I do not have so much stuff lying around my room anyone. I kept one of my armies, one that I want to work on and play a few relaxed games, because I had an emotional connection to it.

Basically, two things. Find something that will motivate you to sell you things, and once it is gone, I can guarantee that you will feel better ;)

Upvote 0