How Do I Set Healthy Boundaries With My Abusive Mother if I Still Live With Her? Need Advice.

Ramirez122

Aug 30, 2019
Amman
✟9,404.00
Country
Jordan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am wondering if anyone here was ever in the same situation. I am an adult (21) who is still living with his parents and my mom is simply incapable of being a good mother. She is emotionally abusive, unrepentant, a blame shifter...etc. I had many fits of anger throughout my living with her because she just doesn't know how to admit to being wrong or be respectful and understanding towards me. About a week ago we had a big fight over my performance in college. I am studying on a scholarship and she was mad over how I failed a course. It matters because my scholarship would have been at risk of being taken away from me and my parents would owe a huge amount of money but in the end, there wasn't much to worry about after all. My performance has been going backward ever since Covid hit but I'm still trying my hardest. In fact, this semester in college I was putting in a lot more work than I had been doing in previous years and by God's grace, I was making huge progress in recovering from some addictions that I had in the past. She was understandably concerned about the money, but when I tried to explain that I was doing my best she simply shrugged it off and said: "I know, but try harder".

To me, it felt devastating to see how I was doing everything I could and making so much progress in many areas of my life but in the end, all she cared about was results and that she doesn't lose money. Anyway, I burst out in anger and was trying to explain all I had been doing but she simply shrugged that off and started blaming me for all the times she had seen me use my phone or listen to something using my headphones as if that was all I had been doing.

Well, that's some insight as to what goes on in this household. I really want to know what to do. I want to set some sort of boundary and I want to prevent her from hurting me again like this especially since I'm kinda stuck living here for a while until I am blessed with getting my own job and my own place. I had tried to move to live with my grandma, at least for a while but she said no. I don't have anywhere else to go really so I'm stuck here and that's problematic because while others may set a boundary and then be able to not pick up the phone or stop visiting if the situation becomes so bad, I can't afford any of that at the moment and I know setting boundaries won't be as effective because of it.

Every time I tried saying this or that really hurt, she gets mad at me and blames me for not appreciating her. She even complained to my grandpa about it once and then went on to barely speak to me until after a while. At this point, I don't know if setting some sort of boundary is even worth it. Whenever I do it, she shifts the blame unto me and then things gradually go back to the way they were for the most part. I am wondering if there's anyone out there who has been in the same situation as I have since it's starting to feel like whenever someone speaks about boundaries in the Christian world, it's the norm to be able to communicate boundaries while having some safe distance from parents to shield yourself and have some peace away from all the brokenness. That's ideal but it's unfortunately not the case and I don't know what else to do. Should I keep trying to communicate my hurts and set boundaries even though I know it won't lead to much and may make the situation even worse?

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All you can really do is bide your time and get through college. Once you have a degree you'll be able to move out, it's just a matter of suffering through until then.

I see no point trying to talk about your feelings with her; just stay in the Word of God and hold tightly to the verses that express God's love for you... that will give you strength when you feel as if you have none of your own.

I will say suffering through it is only to your benefit. Trashing your future over unresolved issues with your mom isn't an option.... just focus on your future, one where you'll have a good life and a good job. Do right by your own children.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am wondering if anyone here was ever in the same situation. I am an adult (21) who is still living with his parents and my mom is simply incapable of being a good mother. She is emotionally abusive, unrepentant, a blame shifter...etc. I had many fits of anger throughout my living with her because she just doesn't know how to admit to being wrong or be respectful and understanding towards me. About a week ago we had a big fight over my performance in college. I am studying on a scholarship and she was mad over how I failed a course. It matters because my scholarship would have been at risk of being taken away from me and my parents would owe a huge amount of money but in the end, there wasn't much to worry about after all. My performance has been going backward ever since Covid hit but I'm still trying my hardest. In fact, this semester in college I was putting in a lot more work than I had been doing in previous years and by God's grace, I was making huge progress in recovering from some addictions that I had in the past. She was understandably concerned about the money, but when I tried to explain that I was doing my best she simply shrugged it off and said: "I know, but try harder".

To me, it felt devastating to see how I was doing everything I could and making so much progress in many areas of my life but in the end, all she cared about was results and that she doesn't lose money. Anyway, I burst out in anger and was trying to explain all I had been doing but she simply shrugged that off and started blaming me for all the times she had seen me use my phone or listen to something using my headphones as if that was all I had been doing.

Well, that's some insight as to what goes on in this household. I really want to know what to do. I want to set some sort of boundary and I want to prevent her from hurting me again like this especially since I'm kinda stuck living here for a while until I am blessed with getting my own job and my own place. I had tried to move to live with my grandma, at least for a while but she said no. I don't have anywhere else to go really so I'm stuck here and that's problematic because while others may set a boundary and then be able to not pick up the phone or stop visiting if the situation becomes so bad, I can't afford any of that at the moment and I know setting boundaries won't be as effective because of it.

Every time I tried saying this or that really hurt, she gets mad at me and blames me for not appreciating her. She even complained to my grandpa about it once and then went on to barely speak to me until after a while. At this point, I don't know if setting some sort of boundary is even worth it. Whenever I do it, she shifts the blame unto me and then things gradually go back to the way they were for the most part. I am wondering if there's anyone out there who has been in the same situation as I have since it's starting to feel like whenever someone speaks about boundaries in the Christian world, it's the norm to be able to communicate boundaries while having some safe distance from parents to shield yourself and have some peace away from all the brokenness. That's ideal but it's unfortunately not the case and I don't know what else to do. Should I keep trying to communicate my hurts and set boundaries even though I know it won't lead to much and may make the situation even worse?

unless you have it made and won't need to work to support yourself after your Mom has gone to be with the Lord, you will eventually work for someone who constantly criticizes you and is consistently unhappy with your performance - do you think you will be able to restrain your angry outbursts to keep your paycheck and avoid living on the street and eating out of dumpsters?

you need to see this from your Mom's point of view - you're an adult in the eyes of the law; she can evict you at any time, and no one will step up to help you stop her - you need to appreciate that she loves you so much she will provide for you when most people your age are already working miserable jobs in order to not be a burden to their parents. in addition, she is risking debts to give you a chance to have a meaningful job rather than just be another laborer in an employer's job market.

(Exo 20:12) Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

(Eph 6:1) Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
(Eph 6:2) Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise; )
(Eph 6:3) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

is she responsible for your addictions? are you not the one who is ultimately to blame for this? why would you expect more from her because of your past mistakes? is she wrong that if you devoted more time to your studies, that you would do better?

time to suck it up and be an adult my friend; start looking for ways to help her instead of enjoying your favorite passtimes (my guess is that her favorite pastimes are helping you have a better chance in life than she's had); honor her for honoring you with a warm, dry place to sleep and plenty of food to eat - as well as betting her own financial future on you.

you're headed in a dangerous direction; the world has no pity for people, especially when they have advantages most people don't

Upvote 0

Religiot

Mar 15, 2020
Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What you call abuse, is not...

I know what abuse is, and it is nothing like you've described.

You should thank God for your mother, period.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi, i honestly don't think she's being abusive rather i think she really loves you and wants thebest for you. If you start keeping boundaries in her house she might get fed up of you and send you out. Try your best to live obediently, she's not asking for too much, she just wants you to get good grades so that you won't lose the scholarship. God bless

Upvote 0