How do I "make" myself believe?

directory

Aug 3, 2015
✟7,867.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I can make myself follow Christ's teachings about how to live. I can make myself pray. I can make myself go to church. And I experience little "flashes" that are almost faith here and there. But none of that means anything without actual, full-on faith, right?

So where do I get faith? Christianity involves not just practices but a set of factual beliefs– I have to believe that God exists, that Christ was the son of God, that his death redeemed our sins, etc etc etc. Sometimes, I think it's like being presented with a box and told that, without opening it, I have to believe that there's a red ball inside it. I can acknowledge that there might be a red ball in there, but how can I make myself believe that there definitely, definitely is?

It can be infuriating. I want to have faith (sometimes, anyway), I pray for faith, I try ordering myself to believe, but something's missing. I haven't been able to force faith, and it's not coming on its own, and sometimes it's painfully frustrating– it's like I'm dying of thirst in a desert and faith is an oasis of water lying just out of reach of my lips. Is there anything I can do other than wait?

jenny1972

we are not all knowing
Oct 12, 2012
✟18,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
no there really is nothing you can do other than wait faith is being convinced of something despite our inability to see it and you cant force yourself to be convinced something must convince you beyond doubt . I know that God exists i havent been convinced because of the teachings of other people or forcing myself to believe what is in the Bible nothing other that God revealing Himself to me convinced me and noone can convince me that God does not exist so just keep praying and seeking out God

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟17,755.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I can make myself follow Christ's teachings about how to live. I can make myself pray. I can make myself go to church. And I experience little "flashes" that are almost faith here and there. But none of that means anything without actual, full-on faith, right?

So where do I get faith? Christianity involves not just practices but a set of factual beliefs– I have to believe that God exists, that Christ was the son of God, that his death redeemed our sins, etc etc etc. Sometimes, I think it's like being presented with a box and told that, without opening it, I have to believe that there's a red ball inside it. I can acknowledge that there might be a red ball in there, but how can I make myself believe that there definitely, definitely is?

It can be infuriating. I want to have faith (sometimes, anyway), I pray for faith, I try ordering myself to believe, but something's missing. I haven't been able to force faith, and it's not coming on its own, and sometimes it's painfully frustrating– it's like I'm dying of thirst in a desert and faith is an oasis of water lying just out of reach of my lips. Is there anything I can do other than wait?

You can't "make" yourself have faith. You can't "choose" God, and you can't "order" yourself to believe.

Faith is a gift from God. Do not despair. "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." [Matthew 7:7-8]

Upvote 0

John 1:1 GodCZU

Fret Not Yourself Because Of Evildoers
Sep 5, 2015
San Francisco CA
✟1,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"How do I make myself believe?"

You don't.

You either believe because the word of God resonates as truth and you feel whole having found it or you do not because it does not.
God predestined the elect in him before he created the world they would inhabit.

You can't make yourself believe. You can't pretend. You can be an Oscar worthy actor putting on the facade of christian. But that would be a nominal act that may fool people but never fools God.
He knows the names of those whom he called to him and again, before the foundation of the world was created by him.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ask God for help.

This really stood out to me:
And I experience little "flashes" that are almost faith here and there. But none of that means anything without actual, full-on faith, right?
God is calling you to go forward. A deeper experience that does not depend on transitory feelings and a faith that is more intellectually engaged. If there are nagging questions or concerns about the content of the Bible, you will learn so much by doing the research.

Faith is more than one thing, at least in my experience. There are reasons to believe based on convincing apologetics. And there is just a simple, personal connection from the heart, when we pray and when we think of him.

So we don't have to say, ahead of time, what faith is going to feel like. And we don't have to rush anything. Because what you are experiencing now has its own purpose in your faith journey.

Upvote 0

RivenSoul

Sep 18, 2015
✟15,167.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Just read his word, read books about it, listen to christian music, go to church or listen to podcasts. Ive always believed as well but always felt like this "block" is there between him and me. Lately Ive been trying tho, been begging for his help and guidance. And I feel it, Ive felt it in so many ways. It's overwhelming but seek him. He will be there, you will find the answers and help. They're subtle at first but they get stronger. If you need to talk because I'm going through the same thing feel free to message me (think you'd have to do it on my page cause i dont have enough posts for PM)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hello directory,

Trying to have genuine faith can be a frustrating chase; for some of us, it might almost seem like we're on a "snipe hunt."

Part of the problem here may have little to do with the nature of Christian faith itself and more to do with your understanding of the underlying principles in how we perceive and conceive of the world and the nature of religion (or Christian faith).

So, in our attempt to smooth out these bumps in the road you are experiencing, let's start small and with this following question: How did you come to the conclusion that belief is a state of mind where a person "definitely, definitely" thinks something exists?

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

directory

Aug 3, 2015
✟7,867.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So, in our attempt to smooth out these bumps in the road you are experiencing, let's start small and with this following question: How did you come to the conclusion that belief is a state of mind where a person "definitely, definitely" thinks something exists?
I have to say, I've always just thought that that's what belief is. I believe with ALMOST absolute certainty, for example, that there's a book on the counter next to me. I can see it, touch it, and pick it up, so I believe that it exists, and I believe that it's there. My senses may be wrong (I may be dreaming or hallucinating, for example), and since the book is just a bunch of bonded atoms, a clever philosopher could argue that it's only my mind's interpretation of a particular arrangement of matter, so I know it's conceivable that there isn't a book here next to me, but it's very unlikely. I conceive of belief in God along similar lines– that is, I think of it as the certainty that God exists, that Christ is His son, that Christ's death redeemed us and made individual salvation possible, etc. Christian belief begins in a confident affirmation of statements of fact. Once you believe in the fact of Christ's having made your salvation possible, then you can accept salvation.

That's my understanding, but I know I'm dreadfully ignorant– how should I think about things?

Upvote 0

jenny1972

we are not all knowing
Oct 12, 2012
✟18,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
" there's a book on the counter next to me. I can see it, touch it, and pick it up, so I believe that it exists, and I believe that it's there. My senses may be wrong (I may be dreaming or hallucinating, for example), and since the book is just a bunch of bonded atoms, a clever philosopher could argue that it's only my mind's interpretation of a particular arrangement of matter, so I know it's conceivable that there isn't a book here next to me, but it's very unlikely. "

for those of us who have experienced God it is like that book we cannot see God with our eyes or physically touch Him but despite that the proof in His existence that we do experience is just as real and just as convincing as what we perceive with our eyes or other senses its a very convincing experience and a clever philosopher could not convince me otherwise but until you experience God in such a way your not going to be convinced thats like someone insisting that there is a book on the counter next to you when you dont see that its there , when you begin communicating with God ask Him to help you understand these other things and He will give you wisdom regarding these things just go to God directly for these answers God is real and you can have a real relationship with Him many many people do.

Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have to say, I've always just thought that that's what belief is. I believe with ALMOST absolute certainty, for example, that there's a book on the counter next to me. I can see it, touch it, and pick it up, so I believe that it exists, and I believe that it's there. My senses may be wrong (I may be dreaming or hallucinating, for example), and since the book is just a bunch of bonded atoms, a clever philosopher could argue that it's only my mind's interpretation of a particular arrangement of matter, so I know it's conceivable that there isn't a book here next to me, but it's very unlikely. I conceive of belief in God along similar lines– that is, I think of it as the certainty that God exists, that Christ is His son, that Christ's death redeemed us and made individual salvation possible, etc. Christian belief begins in a confident affirmation of statements of fact. Once you believe in the fact of Christ's having made your salvation possible, then you can accept salvation.

That's my understanding, but I know I'm dreadfully ignorant– how should I think about things?

I wouldn't say that you're ignorant, but rather that it sounds to me as if you've imbibed the assumptions of a philosophical position known as Direct Realism, that is, the position that through our senses we can be directly aware of the world around us and make claims about this world which have truth values of a particular kind, namely truths permeated with demonstrable certainty, or at least, near certainty. And that's all fine and good on a particular local level, like if we want to assume the truth of physics to put an airplane into the sky, or just to heat up our cold food.

But what if we are dealing with ideas, notions, concepts, or entities that defy our senses? Add to this the fact that we find these things have had claims made about them asserting something as to their actual existence. Well, then we begin to run into problems, wouldn't you agree? This is where we end up when dealing with Christian faith...if we assume the parameters of Direct Realism; we find ourselves falling into the mire of the eternal question mark. The problem here too is that the way in which faith is to be structured for most of us is not the one that was allowed for Doubting Thomas.

So, we're you taught at church that faith is supposed to reflect some kind of empirical or rational sense of certainty?

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

directory

Aug 3, 2015
✟7,867.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So, we're you taught at church that faith is supposed to reflect some kind of empirical or rational sense of certainty?
I've actually never been to church (except once, recently). I wasn't born in a Christian family. I'm a Muslim who lost the faith.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've actually never been to church (except once, recently). I wasn't born in a Christian family. I'm a Muslim who lost the faith.

Directory,

If you are "a Muslim who lost the faith," then I'm sure you have an interesting story to share with me, although I'm not going to ask you to share it. That's probably a very private matter for you. However, I must admit that you are the first Muslim I've met who finds something in Jesus Christ beyond what the Qu'ran itself states. With that being the case here, I welcome you, and please know that I genuinely wish to assist you, as far as you feel is needed.

Thank you for being honest about the question with which I left you on the last post. I asked that question because it is not atypical for Christians in the U.S. to attend churches headed by pastors who assume, more or less, an epistemological position of Direct Realism. Personally, I think that is a mistake when it comes to our encounter with biblical faith and its historical message of Jesus' Gospel. Of course, I leave open the possibility that I am wrong, but being that I have a degree in philosophy, I'm not going to wave a flag of surrender very easily to those who will challenge me on it. ;)

Directory, you're telling me that you are having difficulty with Christian faith because there seems to be an element of mystery in it that you do not trust. Is this an accurate description, or am I missing something that I need to add to your account of what you are actually feeling about it?

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Steven Wood

Not my will but Thy will be done
Jul 17, 2015
Arkansas, United States
✟18,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I can suggest a couple of different things. First I'll be praying for you. You can try attending a different church and by that I mean a different denomination also. Not only is something not resonating with you but you aren't getting what you apparently need. Also you are doing a good thing by asking in forums like this, one of the very good things about the internet is being able to converse with many different people that you normally wouldn't be able to years ago.And lastly Believe or not there are some very good teachers that deliver awesome messages and answer some difficult questions on youtube. Like one person that I watch that was an inspiration to me was a man by the name of Dr. Kent Hovind. Also When you pray, pray that your heart and eyes are opened. I really hope these help you.

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have days that i feel very close to faith, as if i am clothed in it. Other days however i feel similar to what you have described. I dont allow myself to fret though, and i follow Davids example in Scripture when he talks about waiting on the Lord. I wait many times in life.

I believe that Christ is the only thing that makes sense in this world. No other religious belief makes quite the same sense that Christ does, for me anyway. Also, atheism makes no sense to me at all. Christ, although ridiculous to them, makes much more sense to me than atheism. I just don't believe that mankind accidentally came into being. I don't believe we evolved from nothing, then into ape like creatures and then into man. That to me is the most absurd of all beliefs, and it is just a belief too. Despite what evolutionists assert to the contrary, their evolutionary ideas are for the most part just idealism, just fantasy.

I choose to believe even when i doubt because there is nothing else to believe in, nothing else to give hope and meaning for my existence. Christ is my strength, purpose and my hope, till the very end.

Reactions: Steven Wood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God invites everyone to follow Him, to give drink to all those who are thirsty. Isaiah 55. It sounds like you thirst for the living water, and Jesus freely gives it, Revelation 22:17.
Faith comes from hearing the word of God, Romans 10:17 so I think what would help is if you read the Bible, especially the New Testament, if you haven't already. Faith is also a gift, so praying for spiritual gifts such as faith is a good idea. 1 Corinthians 12:9, 1 Corinthians 14:1.

Upvote 0

terryjohn

Sep 26, 2014
✟8,626.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I dont thick churches teach faith much at all, for I believe I had genuine life saving faith before I ever attended a church. The one thing I have come to understand is that, if a man cannot even begin to hope for this Christ, there is little hope that they will find faith. I was faced with an impression/image of Christ and I had no option but say, my Lord and my God.

Upvote 0

Steven Wood

Not my will but Thy will be done
Jul 17, 2015
Arkansas, United States
✟18,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I dont thick churches teach faith much at all, for I believe I had genuine life saving faith before I ever attended a church. The one thing I have come to understand is that, if a man cannot even begin to hope for this Christ, there is little hope that they will find faith. I was faced with an impression/image of Christ and I had no option but say, my Lord and my God.
I say honestly and not with my own opinion but with a lot of studying and prayer to watch what is considered a church nowadays. Jesus says in Matthew 18:20 that where 2 or 3 of us gather in his name there he is. Now to me to me that's a church and that's where I want to be. A whole lot of churches don't have Jesus there and don't teach or preach the word of GOD and they don't even really know it, their eyes are shut. The worst "churches" are the ones that DO realize what they are doing and still continue to lead their congregation astray.It is the ones who pray earnestly for the wisdom of GOD who's eyes are open to the false teachings of the "churches" today.Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of GOD. The Word of GOD is Jesus and Jesus is the son of GOD and is GOD,And you cannot hear Jesus if he is being told in a "church" and without prayer. I'm not saying that all churches today are absent from GOD, it is very easy to tell which are.

Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I say honestly and not with my own opinion but with a lot of studying and prayer to watch what is considered a church nowadays. Jesus says in Matthew 18:20 that where 2 or 3 of us gather in his name there he is. Now to me to me that's a church and that's where I want to be. A whole lot of churches don't have Jesus there and don't teach or preach the word of GOD and they don't even really know it, their eyes are shut. The worst "churches" are the ones that DO realize what they are doing and still continue to lead their congregation astray.It is the ones who pray earnestly for the wisdom of GOD who's eyes are open to the false teachings of the "churches" today.Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of GOD. The Word of GOD is Jesus and Jesus is the son of GOD and is GOD,And you cannot hear Jesus if he is being told in a "church" and without prayer. I'm not saying that all churches today are absent from GOD, it is very easy to tell which are.

The Word is Christ but his so are his words, sayings and commands also the Word. Some people just disregard the teaching of Christ and they follow some theologian, denomination or some man who started a bible college. Jesus said that whoever loves him will keep his words and that God will love them and come inside them and dwell there, and that the spirit would teach them all things and remind them of all things that the Lord has spoken before when he was walking the earth. He also tells the disciples who followed him to go into all the world and teach his commandments, so the words of the apostles are in fact the words of Christ as well. We must keep these things in our hearts and minds if we want to be taught by God. Following a denomination, theologian or bible school just isnt good enough. We need to study and meditate on the Word, which is the commands of the New testament and the spirit who teaches us to understand those things.

Reactions: Steven Wood
Upvote 0