How do I know which decisions God wants me to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of you already know my painful story. It's listed on another thread. Right now, I'm going through some difficult trials and I believe it's a huge test from God. God is calling on me and I'm responding. I'm looking to get closer to him and I'm seeking his comfort and guidance.

I have a question for the rest of you. How do you know what route God wants you to take in life? There is one serious decision that I have to make and I'm not sure what to do.

The Issue:

Since I was in high school, I've always wanted to become a lawyer. Well last year I graduated from the university and this year I was planning on attending law school. I'm scheduled to take the LSAT (law entrance exam) in two weeks but because I have been going through an emotional hell of late, I haven't been able to focus and study for this test.

This is a very difficult test and I don't want to go into it unprepared. I'm afraid that if I take it in two weeks, I won't do very well and that will hurt my educational career.

Many of you might ask, "why not just take it later?" Well, here's the problem. If I want to begin law school at the beginning of 2003, I must take it in 2 weeks. If I reschedule for the next test, which is in September, I won't be able to begin school until September of 2003. It's really not that big of a deal. I could wait but I don't know if that's the right decision.

My parents believe that I should focus on my mental health and get close to God right now. They feel that God may be telling me that it's not my time to go back to school so quickly.

What do you all think? What would you all do in my situation? Do you think the bad timing of my serious personal issues and the date of this test all happened for a reason?

I'm considering not taking it until September of 2002 so I can prepare myself a lot better. By that time, I should hopefully be healthier mentally. I'm currently in and out of a depression due to personal issues and I want to get closer to God to begin the healing process. I need my Lord more than ever.

If I decide not to take the test, I'm going to begin searching for a better job than the one I currently have and I'm going to get close to God and closer to my children. I'm seeking a job change for a number of reasons, particularly to kick off a new routine that I'm not use to. Right now, the focus is me and God. That's what I'm leaning towards. Thoughts and advice welcome. Please!

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi angelgabriel, :wave:
I am glad to hear that you are getting closer to god. Lets see, in regards to your LSAT: You are scheduled to take it in 2 weeks, now if you do not do well and you do not pass, you can always take it again right? If that is the case and you could take it again, then I would take it. You may surprise yourself. But, if it can potentially damage you academically and career wise then you should wait. If it was me making the decision I would take it and get it over with, one less thing hanging over my head. But, also I understand that you have been unable to concentrate and the LSAT would indeed require concentration. Just so you know when I took mt MCAT for med cshool, I was NOT in a very good place in my life and I took it and passed, but it required great concentration and plenty of Hail Marys and our fathers if you know what I mean...
I know that you are in such a tremendous amount of pain angel and there is much you can do to help yourself, there are a great number of self help books out there and many people to turn to. I am always here for you for anything, you know that. Lately I have had such a crazy schedule but I promise to be there for you ALWAYS.
your parents have your best interests at heart. You are stuck at a crossroad right now and ultimately it is only you who can decide which path you will take. I tell you this though, AS LONG AS THE PATH YOU CHOOSE INCLUDES GOD, then it is the right one.
Trust me, I am the queen of the crossroads...
you will do wonders in this world, but first you must heal. We are right here to help you heal. God Bless you always my friend and I pray for you and your tender heart everyday. Love and blessings to you always...
your friend
Amie
:hug:

Upvote 0

Remny

Prayer Bear
Apr 29, 2002
Vancouver Wa
Visit site
✟8,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Well I don't think I can tell you what God wants for you Gabe, but we all have the ability to find those things out for ourselves.

God, I know likes, patiance, but he likes people to be proactive as well. If you can do God some good by being a lawer, well I'm sure he wants you to be one as soon as possible. I don't know how your test will work, or how hard it is. But remember you can fail at your test, and you think it might hurt your career. However, something like that, that can not stop God's plan for you, if he wants you to be a good lawer, if he wants you to be successfull, and I'm sure he wants you to be successfull, there is nothing that can hinder you except yourself.

If you take the test sooner than later, have faith that God will bring you success, because that is what he wants for you, and if you delay, have take the time to build up relationships that are more important than a career. You have good options, and good reasons behind these things you do. Remember faith is the beliefe of things not yet manifest, the evidense of things unseen. Not knowing how exactly your future will work is fine, but faith is knowing that it will work out for the best.

I would love to tell you what you should do, and I do have an oppinion on it. I'm not God though, so keep praying buddy, and his will, it will become more and more evidant.

I'm prayin' for ya buddy,

Benjamin Jeanotte

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey man,
I've been praying for you. This is a hard thing to comment on.
What comes to mind is "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." Something like that. That's been true for me. Whenever I have a decision to make, the one that sounds best to me is sure to be the wrong choice.
Have no idea if that does you any good.

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi angelgabriel!

I'll just tell you up front that I am horrible at making decisions. I usually take a long time to weigh out both sides of the issue before I make a decision.

But I have a question for you. Just understand I don't know anything about this test you are going to take so this question might not help in your decision making process. Let's just say that you took the test and because of one reason or another you did not score as you had hoped. Would taking it once help prepare you for taking it again if you have to? Would it help at all to take it and see what it is all about even though you are not as prepared as you would like to be? If it would, then I say it might not hurt to go ahead and sit for it. Then of course, you just might surprise yourself and do very well. I sat for the CPA exam in my state and always after each part I thought I didn't do very well. But I surprised myself and passed! :p

It might also help get your mind off of some of the other circumstances in your life right now that are causing you pain. Sorta help you refocus for a bit. I admire you for wanting to get closer to God. That is always a good decision. And if you do pass this test, it is still awhile before you start school which still provides opportunity to do what you want, work on your mental health and grow closer to God.

Hope this helps! I'll be praying for you! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone.

Here is the problem. The test is on June 10th and I haven't really been able to study for it. Most individuals that take the test, take various prep courses before taking test. These are expensive prep courses! They obviously take them for a reason and that's because the test is VERY difficult.

If I were to take it and not do well, I could take it again and then my scores would be averaged. I'm not sure if I want to go that route though.

I like something Amie said. It really helped me a lot.

"I tell you this though, AS LONG AS THE PATH YOU CHOOSE INCLUDES GOD, then it is the right one."

This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm planning on not taking it until September while I focus on myself and God my saviour.

I had a great experience at church today and I feel something different inside of me.

My roomate has a few friends over right now and I've not the desire to drink and party with them. This is great news. I've decided to tackle all of my problems sober from now on. My parents have been helping me a great deal. I love God for giving me a religous and loving family.

I'm now very serious about completely giving my life to God. I had a great experience at church today. The minister, a good friend of mine, did a fine job preaching today. His message totally applied to my situation. I told him afterwards. He said it was God at work. He had no idea I was going to be there because I've been going every other Sunday for the last several months.

I now know that I'm here to serve God and I will not find true happiness without him. I'm putting all of my problems in his hands and letting him change me. I know he has a GREAT plan for me and I can't wait to discover it. I know that I will continue to be in pain for awhile but I've faith it won't last for too long. Thank you all. God bless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.