New Jersey
✟335,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here's an example of what I have in mind: The Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis . I've only visited this cathedral once, while travelling last year, but on that Sunday I found it to be a good example of liturgical Christian worship, and I much enjoyed my visit. You're not near St. Louis, of course, but it could at least serve to re-introduce you to the liturgy.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟237,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised Catholic but never really believed, stopped pretending in college. Now in mid 30s and feel something missing and I continue to find myself interested in religion. I dont know how to really get started. I have tried reading the bible but its mostly been a struggle and I dont feel things really jumping out at me as I already know the basic story. How do I find something to believe in or find faith? I have been thinking about going to a service near me, but whenever I check out their broadcast online it always seems like its more about money and donations than anything else and I get turned off and close it down. Just looking for whatever recommendations folks here have for perhaps some books/videos/etc that are more engaging. Perhaps a really really really good online service that might get me into things.

Find yourself a Protestant church, as to most of them donation is always optional. At the same time, please also bear in mind the donation is important to Christianity as preaching the gospel to the 4 corners of this world requires resources, while preaching the gospel should be one of most crucial mission of each and every church of God and His salvation.

Most Protestant churches always enforce an optional donation pattern that you feel free not to donate. You may start with Sunday services, then Sunday schools which usually provide you with necessary biblical knowledge correctly.

Upvote 0

Reasonable Christian

Dec 15, 2020
Maryland
✟19,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say not to go it alone. Find a Christian who you admire and ask him/her about their faith -- why they became a Christian, what following Jesus means to them, where they go to church and why, etc. I would also carefully read the Gospel of Mark. It's a good place to start learning more about Jesus, even if you think you know "the basic story."

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is an excellent new movie free on youtube posted in another thread that gives the perfect example of how to live and how to be involved within the church without being sucked into the pitfalls of organized religion. The story of a man shunned by his own church to go on to become a saint in the last century. This movie speaks to what you are facing.

"Man of God" on YouTube!

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

KingJoseph

Nov 10, 2022
New York City, NY
✟15,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised Catholic but never really believed, stopped pretending in college. Now in mid 30s and feel something missing and I continue to find myself interested in religion. I dont know how to really get started. I have tried reading the bible but its mostly been a struggle and I dont feel things really jumping out at me as I already know the basic story. How do I find something to believe in or find faith? I have been thinking about going to a service near me, but whenever I check out their broadcast online it always seems like its more about money and donations than anything else and I get turned off and close it down. Just looking for whatever recommendations folks here have for perhaps some books/videos/etc that are more engaging. Perhaps a really really really good online service that might get me into things.

Actually, this story is quite similar to mine, I also didn't really believe it and now I got the idea that my soul wants something more, it actually helped me to go to a psychologist, now I feel much better.

Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As I sought guidance about how to find salvation, a Baptist pastor advised me to read the Gospel of John.

Yes! The Holy Spirit opened my blind spiritual eyes and showed me the the truth of God's way for saving the lost as I read the Gospel of John. He turn the light on for me and I "got it."

Upvote 0

Sir Joseph

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2018
Southwest
✟92,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

DolphinsTX, your path is common for individuals that were raised in a believer's family but not taught the foundations of their faith. Once they leave their controlled childhood environment, the secular educational system and cultural pressures easily turn a skeptic into an irreligious person.

Before encouraging you to return to a Catholic church like others here have suggested, I'd pause first, since you likely don't know what church or denomination is right or best for you. There are significant doctrinal differences between Protestant and Catholic churches, and your search for faith now should not be confused by that matter.

I'd suggest that the best way for a skeptic/seeker to pursue religious truth is to study the evidence for each of the world's major religions. Having spent considerable effort doing that myself, I can save you a lot of time though by suggesting that you start with Christianity. While a few of the world's religions may share some of Christianity's historical and archaeological evidence, none offer scientific foreknowledge, fulfilled prophesy, and manuscript authority evidence comparable to the Bible.

The first step in pursuing truth in religion is recognizing that there is a supernatural being or creator of all things. For anyone believing in current evolutionary theory or just denying God for any other personal reason, an honest study of the scientific evidence for evolution vs creation should be enlightening. It can convict a person to truely believe in a god. And if there's a god that created the universe and all life, he surely did it for a reason. Are we not compelled then to seek out a relationship with this creator?

Upon belief in a supernatural creator that governs all things (as stated by Isaac Newton himself), a study of Christian apologetics will reveal why the Bible stands above all other religious books as being the Divinely inspired Word of God. It justifies Christianity as the only one true religion in the world - the one right path to God.

So in your case, where do you start? I'd suggest reading some good creationist books or watching some good videos in order to affirm your faith in a supernatural being - a god who created you and wants a relationship with you. After that, I'd focus on learning about the evidence for the Bible's unique authority and Gospel message. This Christian apologetics study you can do easily on your own, replacing a skeptical blind faith with a solid, evidence based faith.

For a teaser on the subject to hopefully provoke your interest, here's a sample of my favorite videos offering supportive evidence for God. If you like them and want more recos, feel free to message me.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Jesus, when questioned by some if He was what He claimed to be simply said, "Come and see". The invitation of Jesus is to "come and see", is He what He claimed to be? Is He what His Church confesses Him to be? Is He here, in the midst of sinners in His Church, speaking, calling, loving, healing people here? "Come and see". A faithful church abides in Him, and thus bears faithful witness to Jesus. As such, I believe strongly, that faithful churches do not need to rely on gimmicks, salesmanship, manipulation tactics, and especially doesn't use threats or coercion. A faithful church simply abides, and bears faithful witness to Him.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

KingJoseph

Nov 10, 2022
New York City, NY
✟15,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DolphinsTX, your path is common for individuals that were raised in a believer's family but not taught the foundations of their faith. Once they leave their controlled childhood environment, the secular educational system and cultural pressures easily turn a skeptic into an irreligious person.

Before encouraging you to return to a Catholic church like others here have suggested, I'd pause first, since you likely don't know what church or denomination is right or best for you. There are significant doctrinal differences between Protestant and Catholic churches, and your search for faith now should not be confused by that matter.

I'd suggest that the best way for a skeptic/seeker to pursue religious truth is to study the evidence for each of the world's major religions. Having spent considerable effort doing that myself, I can save you a lot of time though by suggesting that you start with Christianity. While a few of the world's religions may share some of Christianity's historical and archaeological evidence, none offer scientific foreknowledge, fulfilled prophesy, and manuscript authority evidence comparable to the Bible.

The first step in pursuing truth in religion is recognizing that there is a supernatural being or creator of all things. For anyone believing in current evolutionary theory or just denying God for any other personal reason, an honest study of the scientific evidence for evolution vs creation should be enlightening. It can convict a person to truely believe in a god. And if there's a god that created the universe and all life, he surely did it for a reason. Are we not compelled then to seek out a relationship with this creator?

Upon belief in a supernatural creator that governs all things (as stated by Isaac Newton himself), a study of Christian apologetics will reveal why the Bible stands above all other religious books as being the Divinely inspired Word of God. It justifies Christianity as the only one true religion in the world - the one right path to God.

So in your case, where do you start? I'd suggest reading some good creationist books or watching some good videos in order to affirm your faith in a supernatural being - a god who created you and wants a relationship with you. After that, I'd focus on learning about the evidence for the Bible's unique authority and Gospel message. This Christian apologetics study you can do easily on your own, replacing a skeptical blind faith with a solid, evidence based faith.

For a teaser on the subject to hopefully provoke your interest, here's a sample of my favorite videos offering supportive evidence for God. If you like them and want more recos, feel free to message me.

These are some deep thoughts, I'll take them into consideration, in general I'd like to read more scientific books that would 'possibly' open my eyes to some things.

Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0

KingJoseph

Nov 10, 2022
New York City, NY
✟15,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I must say I have read several of your posts and I want to know what books you have read, maybe you could recommend something?

Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 21, 2022
Atlanta
✟16,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So in your case, where do you start? I'd suggest reading some good creationist books or watching some good videos in order to affirm your faith in a supernatural being - Besides, if you would still like to do college then I have a recommendation for you, this source check will suit you very well to have very good writing, it analyzes your writing and runs it through the originality checker, for me it was really useful, besides already several friends of mine are using it. I really think it could make your life as a student easier and in general it will be easier to get through college. Good luck. This Christian apologetics study you can do easily on your own, replacing a skeptical blind faith with a solid, evidence based faith.

In all the time I've been on this forum (I wasn't usually registered) not once have I seen such a post in support. It really is fascinating how other people care.

Upvote 0

Sir Joseph

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2018
Southwest
✟92,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In all the time I've been on this forum (I wasn't usually registered) not once have I seen such a post in support. It really is fascinating how other people care.
Thank you so much Michelltheone for the compliment and support. I'm not used to getting many such positive responses, so the encouragement is appreciated.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was raised in religion too... it's not easy returning to it for some. Not everyone "fits" into a denomination, so there are people that are "outside the camp", but still following Jesus.

Have you looked within and asked yourself why the need to have a faith has arisen? For me personally, it was not knowing the point of my life.. so in my heart I cried out to God.

The best thing I can advise is ask Jesus. if you're not sure if you believe in him as the Son of God, ask him to show you who he is.

I hope you do and it changes your life. :wave:

• Winner
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Sir Joseph

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2018
Southwest
✟92,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I must say I have read several of your posts and I want to know what books you have read, maybe you could recommend something?
So glad King Joseph to be able to stir someone's interest in Christian apologetics. Truth is, there's a lot of good scientific books on the subject and I've only read a few - before moving on to articles and videos which I now prefer. Here though, are 3 books I've read, liked, and would recommend.

I'd start with Lee Strobel's unique, investigative reporting classic:

After that, I'd read the concise but more comprehensive book from the ICR staff specialists:

And for a more detailed book on the significant Genesis flood account, I'd suggest:

Let me know if you want to watch any videos on the subject. After watching hundreds, I can steer you towards the best ones offering scientific evidence for God, the Genesis creation account, flood details, and other interesting issues that show the Bible's consistency with empiracle evidence.

Upvote 0

whatisinausername

Nov 23, 2022
America
✟3,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Find yourself a Protestant church, as to most of them donation is always optional. At the same time, please also bear in mind the donation is important to Christianity as preaching the gospel to the 4 corners of this world requires resources, while preaching the gospel should be one of most crucial mission of each and every church of God and His salvation.
[/QUOTE]
Catholic Churches have optional donations.
Most Protestant churches always enforce an optional donation pattern that you feel free not to donate. You may start with Sunday services, then Sunday schools which usually provide you with necessary biblical knowledge correctly.
Usually? According to whom?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums