TX
✟15,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I was raised Catholic but never really believed, stopped pretending in college. Now in mid 30s and feel something missing and I continue to find myself interested in religion. I dont know how to really get started. I have tried reading the bible but its mostly been a struggle and I dont feel things really jumping out at me as I already know the basic story. How do I find something to believe in or find faith? I have been thinking about going to a service near me, but whenever I check out their broadcast online it always seems like its more about money and donations than anything else and I get turned off and close it down. Just looking for whatever recommendations folks here have for perhaps some books/videos/etc that are more engaging. Perhaps a really really really good online service that might get me into things.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was raised Catholic but never really believed, stopped pretending in college. Now in mid 30s and feel something missing and I continue to find myself interested in religion. I dont know how to really get started. I have tried reading the bible but its mostly been a struggle and I dont feel things really jumping out at me as I already know the basic story. How do I find something to believe in or find faith? I have been thinking about going to a service near me, but whenever I check out their broadcast online it always seems like its more about money and donations than anything else and I get turned off and close it down. Just looking for whatever recommendations folks here have for perhaps some books/videos/etc that are more engaging. Perhaps a really really really good online service that might get me into things.

You should return to your Catholic Church and speak with a priest about confession and how best to re-enter the life of the Church. That is how you get started.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I sought guidance about how to find salvation, a Baptist pastor advised me to read the Gospel of John.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would recommend that you study what it is to be saved, I have written a brief introduction to salvation here How to be saved by Jesus from Hell | Everybody Matters Ministry.

It is hard to know what material to recommend, maybe ask some questions that you have on this forum, and grow in knowledge as you go.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟400,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I know you are raised Catholic. I want to state that regardless of denomination whether it be baptist protestant etc. the focus is Jesus. He is your friend and God. Most importantly friend. He knows you, He made you, He knows your thoughts all of them. Nothing you've done or will do surprises Him. There is no fooling Him, yet even though all of this is true He still wants to listen to you talk to Him. So talk to Him in prayer. He listens to you. That is the best foundation: Jesus. He is the Cornerstone. Everything else, the Bible reading, your way of life will follow.

• Winner
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do I find something to believe in or find faith?

May I suggest you check out the christianityexplored web site for a church in your area that runs this course.

There is no commitment to attend the church, it is an opportunity to 'explore ' christianity in a neutral setting and to ask questions.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I came back after watching Christian television while I was stuck in bed with an injury, that caused me to go to some different churches near me and I found one that seemed to fit and went on from there.

Upvote 0

I's2C

Aug 28, 2021
North Platte
✟35,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Look up Shepherds Chapel on line or streaming; They are studying book of Mathew now. Been with them close to 3 decades, greatest teacher of our times. Check it out you want be disappointed. Many like yourself believe there is more to GODS WORD than what they have been taught, GOD says seek and you will find. Those who have eyes to see and ears to hear will hear/see what the SPIRIT is saying. You being new as you say may need a little guidance in scripture to get started. Ask questions and get right answers, I am here to help you through scripture if need. But to tell you where to start really depends on a lot, but I figure it is always best to start something at the beginning! If you don't understand the beginning you will never understand the end. We are in a transitional period in history, I believe end of 5th trump and start of 6th trump. Those who don't have CHRIST over them will have to bow to antichrist to survive. May GOD give you guidance and open your eyes.

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Great site for getting solid information about The Bible and how to study and understand it. Grace Evangelical Society
Also clearly explains how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life by faith,trust, belief in Jesus The promised Messiah. Trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

That is the reason The Gospel of John was written, to tell people how to have life (Eternal Life). By faith in The Messiah, The Gospel of John has 8 miracles, that Jesus did showing He is who He said He is, The only begotten Son of God.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'd start by seeing the Christian faith not so much as a destination in the here and now, but rather as it is: a daily opportunity to explore the life that God has given us in Jesus Christ.

So, wake up each day and seek Christ, with one note about the obvious: The Roman Catholic Church is but one Trinitarian option among many ... ;)

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Here is a very good book https://www.amazon.com/Confident-Christ-Living-Really-Second/dp/098834727X

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF. Seek and ye shall find ! Christianity is Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Learn about Him first. Believe and receive His Holy Spirit. He will make His Home in you and from there your understanding will grow exponentially. A link to much information.
who is jesus - Google Search
Blessings.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As you were raised Catholic it probably makes the most sense to start there, go to a church or reach out to a priest via email. If you have an issue with going to the Catholic church then we can talk further about different paths, but if you have a base in the Catholic Church that may make the most sense.

• Agree
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have been thinking about going to a service near me, but whenever I check out their broadcast online it always seems like its more about money and donations than anything else and I get turned off and close it down.

You may be getting a skewed picture of worship services from the online broadcasts. To some extent, the ministries that have the strongest online presence also tend to do lots of fundraising so they can pay for that online presence.

If you want to explore online before stepping into in-person worship, you might consider watching the services streamed from one of the cathedrals. A couple of the Episcopal cathedrals near me stream their services, and they're large enough places that their sermons can be about the day's Scripture readings and not about fundraising. I assume that there are Catholic cathedrals who similarly stream their services and who similarly talk about Scripture instead of fundraising.

The advice to talk to your local Catholic priest about your faith journey is good. There's nothing quite like having a good in-person conversation about faith with an actual human being.

Upvote 0