Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with the others above. However I do think that there is practical things we can do and that God would want us to do.

1. First like the others said pray. And also study your Bible. Stay close to God and He will lead you. Daniel trusted God when he was sent away from his homeland and he was blessed mightily.

2. Ask. Ask friends you know that are Christians. Go to their churches. Ask whatever group helped you get saved. Also I know the Christian REsearch Institute can help you find a good church in your area. Their webpage is equip.org But you might have to call them for the information. But all that should be on the web page.

3. study up on the different denominations and their differences. Find out what makes Baptists different than Catholics or Methodists from Lutherans. You can get a lot of information from the web. Just make sure it is reliable information.

4. When you go to a church ask for a statement of beliefs. Take it to a Christian you trust if there is one. They can help you see if it is good or not. But wherever you visit get this paperwork. Because some churhces might be Lutheran or Baptist but do not hold to their denominations beliefs. And sometimes that can be very bad. In my city there is a baptist church where the pastor does not believe in a real hell. So this step is very important.

5. Visit with the pastor/priest. Ask to speak one day with the minister and ask the minister questions. I would advise to do this with ones you like. Not all.

6. Also visit more than 1 church and 1 type of church.

7. Take your time. Do not be in too much of a rush. Really if you do the things above (big one is prayer and staying close to God) then God will lead you to one quickly. Once you get into one learn the basics of the faith and get involved.

I hope this helps. Whatever church you choose will affect your views greatly. Do not worry about it too much But do make sure that the church you choose represents true Christianity.

blackhaw6

Upvote 0

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
God's Word admonishes us not to forsake "the assembling of ourselves together..." (Hebrews 10:25). Several logs burn brightly together; but put one aside on the cold hearth and the fire goes out.

Do not wait to be invited to a church, take the initiative. Visit many churches, talk with the people and the pastors. When you find the right place, you will know it.

Upvote 0

RayNay714

Worshiper and Seeker
Feb 19, 2002
Kentucky
Visit site
✟807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pray, seek God, and just go to a few different churches. When I was younger my parents decided they wanted to raise me in church but they weren't going to church at the time so they went to a new church every week until one Sunday they went to a church, and they stayed there until my dad became a youth pastor, and now we attend an Assemblies of God church, but I don't think that you should be so concerned with what Denomination it is as long as they believe that Jesus died for their sins, and know that he is the only way to heaven. Trust in God and he will give you direction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Personally I would say it doesn't matter as much which church you go to BUT you need to find one you like and feel comfortable with and make sure you know their docterine statements and believe in a like-minded way. There is room for diversity in any group of believers, but remember, they might have different beliefs as you, better to find out sooner then later.

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
Be sure the teaching includes the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All the Gifts of the Spirit are allowed. Some exclude tongues and/or healing; legitimate gifts of the Spirit. Also, be sure it is not a prosperity based church. They tend to forget what we owe God in return for His salvation. And some even teach equal footing with God. Walk out.
Read the whole Bible and discard nothing. God means every word He says. Then, you will spot what is and is not real.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dear DMan,
I would also agree, pray, ask others, and find somewhere you feel comfortable. But I would add, look at how many cars are out front, not only on Sunday, But throughout the week. Worship is a verb, it implies action. see what else the church does, my church has mens groups, womens groups, a school of adult courses, out of the cold, childrens programmes, AA, scouts, guides, and on and on. We don't just get together on Sunday, we have a community.
In a time of shrinking churches, we grow.
Now go find somewhere to be.
Good luck and God Bless.
Vincent

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
" But I would add, look at how many cars are out front, not only on Sunday, But throughout the week. "

Ahh..this can be deceptive though...good, in my opinion, churches meet in homes of people in "small" close knit groups of likeminded beleivers.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by DMan
How does one pick a church to go to, if he has never been a religious person. How do I know if I should become a Baptist, or a Methodist or Pentecost or Lutheran or whatever?

Is there something I should look for? Is there something I should ask about? Do you have to be accepted into the church?
Do NOT pick a church group based upon PROGRAMS that they offer. Neither pick one because its location is close. Don't pick one because there are pretty girls (handsome guys).

I would recommend a church that fits this description:

Rev 14.12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 12.17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

What is "the testimony of Jesus?" Who has it?

Rev 19.10
...I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Who are the brethren that have "the testimony of Jesus?"

Rev 22.9
Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.