✟34,951.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks Lee

When I set out my hypothetical conversion OP back in December I mentioned the issue of trying to avoid using jargon. Christians often slip into using formulaic words and phrases which carry little meaning to the uninitiated (like me). I've bolded some words from your reply, in the above quotes, to highlight places where you've slipped into Christian jargonese. I appreciate that these terms carry significant meaning for you but they may well be lost on non-Christians or new Christians. Sticking to plain English also helps to ensure that your message gets across without it sounding like preaching.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
OB

hi

thank you for pointing that out.

In order to grow we need food, the word of God is our spiritual food every time we read the word of God our spirit inside us gains knowledge and understanding and we begin to grow and mature.

Reading the word of God is also referred to as the transformation process, not only do we grow in knowledge and understanding, but our nature is transformed and we become more christ like.

The fruit of the Spirit are the characteristics of the Holy Spirit identified in the bible as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,, gentleness, and self-control.

You will find as you begin to read the word of God the characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit will also start to develop in your life, and when you respond to situations and circumstances.

They are all benefits from reading the word of God.

I hope this sheds more light on it.

Peace.

• Informative
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
hi

thank you for pointing that out.

In order to grow we need food, the word of God is our spiritual food every time we read the word of God our spirit inside us gains knowledge and understanding and we begin to grow and mature.

Reading the word of God is also referred to as the transformation process, not only do we grow in knowledge and understanding, but our nature is transformed and we become more christ like.

The fruit of the Spirit are the characteristics of the Holy Spirit identified in the bible as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,, gentleness, and self-control.

You will find as you begin to read the word of God the characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit will also start to develop in your life, and when you respond to situations and circumstances.

They are all benefits from reading the word of God.

I hope this sheds more light on it.

Peace.

Thanks Lee

I've seen many posters on CF use the 'fruit' terminology. Your explanation is the first time I've seen anyone actually explain what it means.
OB

Upvote 0

Kristen Davis

Dec 9, 2017
Alpharetta
✟11,497.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For the sake of a discussion, imagine that I (a confirmed atheist) have recently come to the conclusion that the Christian God probably does exist. At this stage of my theoretical conversion I have accepted the Nicene Creed as a broad statement of Christian belief.

The problem I’m now faced with is how to put this new belief into practical effect and in expanding my very basic knowledge and understanding of Christian doctrine. A large part of this has to do with choosing a specific religious group/church/denomination to help flesh out my religious practice and provide instruction in a more specific set of beliefs.

Given that there are hundreds of competing Christian denominations/churches/doctrines;

How do I go about making a choice?

Based on opinions I’ve seen expressed in CF, it seems that the right choice may be critical for my salvation and could determine if I become a ‘real’ Christian or not. While, for me, this is a hypothetical question, I am sure that it‘s a real issue faced by many new Christians.

Please Note:

1. The SoP for this Forum asks that you refrain from debating theological differences. I am not asking for an advertorial on your particular Christian doctrine. I am seeking an understanding of how I might go about deciding between competing claims.

2. Christian discussion is often packed with Christian jargon/stock phrases and vague Bible quotes which can be impenetrable for those of us on the outside. I’d be grateful if you could please try to stick to plain English. At the very least, explain your terminology.​

OB
I think you should go with your gut instinct and become a Christian. Becoming a Christian will require you to look for compromises that will allow you to honor God's word to its entirety.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I think you should go with your gut instinct and become a Christian. Becoming a Christian will require you to look for compromises that will allow you to honor God's word to its entirety.

Hi Kristen

If you reread the OP and post #44 you'll see that I've tried to make it clear that I'm approaching the issue of choosing a denomination from a purely hypothetical point of view. Unfortunately I'm a died-in-the-wool atheist. While I'm curious about why people believe in God(s) I see no reason to believe.

From your point of view, becoming a Christian is a good thing, so I know that your advice is well meant. Thank you.
OB

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For the sake of a discussion, imagine that I (a confirmed atheist) have recently come to the conclusion that the Christian God probably does exist. At this stage of my theoretical conversion I have accepted the Nicene Creed as a broad statement of Christian belief.

The problem I’m now faced with is how to put this new belief into practical effect and in expanding my very basic knowledge and understanding of Christian doctrine. A large part of this has to do with choosing a specific religious group/church/denomination to help flesh out my religious practice and provide instruction in a more specific set of beliefs.

Given that there are hundreds of competing Christian denominations/churches/doctrines;

How do I go about making a choice?

Based on opinions I’ve seen expressed in CF, it seems that the right choice may be critical for my salvation and could determine if I become a ‘real’ Christian or not. While, for me, this is a hypothetical question, I am sure that it‘s a real issue faced by many new Christians.

Please Note:

1. The SoP for this Forum asks that you refrain from debating theological differences. I am not asking for an advertorial on your particular Christian doctrine. I am seeking an understanding of how I might go about deciding between competing claims.

2. Christian discussion is often packed with Christian jargon/stock phrases and vague Bible quotes which can be impenetrable for those of us on the outside. I’d be grateful if you could please try to stick to plain English. At the very least, explain your terminology.​

OB
I would say one of the first decisions is what you believe about the Bible.

Some, believe that all scripture is God-breathed. Not that the people who wrote scripture were perfect or God, but that God supernaturally inspired them in all the writing that are part of the 66 book canon that is the Bible.

Other people, believe that some of the Bible is a myth and may not have really happened but that God is using the stories to teach us something, more like an overall concept.

That I would say is the first step to maybe figuring it out because that will influence the decision.

Any questions, please ask.

As far as God is concerned, the best piece of advice I can give you is walk "with" God each day in relationship, don't worry about walking "for" God as some people will tell you you must do 1. 2. 3.

God tells us to believe upon Him in faith and His Son who died for our sins.

Upvote 0

Kristen Davis

Dec 9, 2017
Alpharetta
✟11,497.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Kristen

If you reread the OP and post #44 you'll see that I've tried to make it clear that I'm approaching the issue of choosing a denomination from a purely hypothetical point of view. Unfortunately I'm a died-in-the-wool atheist. While I'm curious about why people believe in God(s) I see no reason to believe.

From your point of view, becoming a Christian is a good thing, so I know that your advice is well meant. Thank you.
OB
Your very welcome good luck!

Upvote 0