Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The official belief of the General Conference is for the trinity as taught by the Papacy... I myself am not. The origin of the trinity belief is from the early RC church and any attempt to claim it while denouncing some of the RC tenets of the term is disingenuous, imo.

The forums have a rule that one cannot actively speak against the trinity, so I can't elaborate on it here, but suffice it to say that there is a Biblical argument against it.

Do I think it's salvational? Probably not, however, it does give an understanding of the relationship between the Father and Son that is used as an example for us of the relationship between us and Christ and between man and wife.

Upvote 0

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
how does the SDA church view the trinity? is it the same as the rest of the Christian world or does it differ? and if so how?

thank you all for helping me out so far

God bless you

The majority of adventists believe in the trinity. It's true that there are some adventists who deny the trinity, but they are a small (yet vocal) minority. I know hundreds of adventists in real life, yet only a single one of them is an anti-trinitarian, as far as I know. (Not counting our brother EastCoast here...)

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Were the founders of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church trinitarians ?

thank you for your responses
No... some may have later in life turned from what they had studied and believed, but the majority, I believe, did not.

Here's an excerpt from a good site on the issue...
Most Seventh day Adventists are unaware that God raised the remnant Church as non-Trinitarian and so the early pioneers were in fact anti-Trinitarian. Today it is taught that the pioneers were in error and that that they received progressive truth. But how do you go from believing in a real Father and Son to believing that God is three gods that are really only one God? The pioneers were in fact very clever people that had the advantage of the Spirit of Prophecy to help them understand Scripture.

Here's the link...
http://www.trinitytruth.org/adventistpioneersandthetrinity.html

• Informative
Reactions: Aryeh
Upvote 0

alexsonofmatthew

May 11, 2013
:)
✟8,070.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Were the founders of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church trinitarians ?

thank you for your responses

We're not allowed to discuss this issue here, so I don't intend to start a discussion. Just a quick note about the history of the trinity in the adventist Church: Ellen White, one of the three founders of the adventist Church, certainly died as a believer in the Trinity. However, her husband came from a Church where many tended to be non-trinitarians, and he and many of the early adventist pioneers often argued against the Trinity.

As for Ellen White, generally speaking her early statements about the Godhead were somewhat ambigious, at least as long as her husband was alive. However, towards the end of her life she made some clear statements favouring a triune God. For instance, she spoke of a "heavenly trio", referring to the Godhead she stated that there were "three powers" in heaven and she also confirmed that the Holy Spirit was a person. Here is a good article about Ellen White and the Trinity: https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/2012/04/ellen-white-and-the-personhood-of-the-holy-spirit

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The official belief of the General Conference is for the trinity as taught by the Papacy... I myself am not. The origin of the trinity belief is from the early RC church and any attempt to claim it while denouncing some of the RC tenets of the term is disingenuous, imo.

The forums have a rule that one cannot actively speak against the trinity, so I can't elaborate on it here, but suffice it to say that there is a Biblical argument against it.

Do I think it's salvational? Probably not, however, it does give an understanding of the relationship between the Father and Son that is used as an example for us of the relationship between us and Christ and between man and wife.

I have made comments on the trinity and never got into trouble, maybe it was because of the area I made the comments. I am not really clear on the rule; I would never speak against the Father, Son or Holy Spirit; my comments about the doctrine of the trinity; began at the Council of Nicaea where Christians who had saved their lives by abrogating the Law of God or parts of it as well as Pagans who formed the universal Church were chaired over by a Roman Emperor agreed to a compromise from differing opinions which was the doctrine of the Trinity. In my opinion this doctrine is imagery of thing from heaven that are worshipped the doctrine is a violation of the second commandment. I said this on the philosophy thread and never got into trouble; I also challenged the validity of Paul. Maybe we should look deeper into the rules?

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
We're not allowed to discuss this issue here, so I don't intend to start a discussion. Just a quick note about the history of the trinity in the adventist Church: Ellen White, one of the three founders of the adventist Church, certainly died as a believer in the Trinity. However, her husband came from a Church where many tended to be non-trinitarians, and he and many of the early adventist pioneers often argued against the Trinity.

As for Ellen White, generally speaking her early statements about the Godhead were somewhat ambigious, at least as long as her husband was alive. However, towards the end of her life she made some clear statements favouring a triune God. For instance, she spoke of a "heavenly trio", referring to the Godhead she stated that there were "three powers" in heaven and she also confirmed that the Holy Spirit was a person. Here is a good article about Ellen White and the Trinity: https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/2012/04/ellen-white-and-the-personhood-of-the-holy-spirit

Ellen White isn't talking about one God who manifests Himself in three parts, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and where one part is able to prey to another part, where the Trinity is so complex it cannot be understood.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

This site is strongly anti Catholic and may offend some but for those who are interested in arguments against the trinity they will find them here: http://remnantofgod.org/trinity.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This site is strongly anti Catholic and may offend some but for those who are interested in arguments against the trinity they will find them here: http://remnantofgod.org/trinity.htm
I agree with your assessment of the site but at least they are proclaiming the 2nd and 3rd angels messages... we used to fellowship online with Nic and family years ago...

Upvote 0

NonTheologian

Feb 24, 2016
Dallas
✟639.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The origin of the trinity belief is from the early RC church and any attempt to claim it while denouncing some of the RC tenets of the term is disingenuous, imo.

The doctrine of the Trinity was clearly stated at the First Ecumenical Council of Nicea in 325, which was a council involving all five of the ancient Sees - Jerusalem, Antioch, Rome, Alexandria, Constantinople. It is not a belief that came from the Roman church alone.

Furthermore, it was not a doctrine that was somehow "synthesized" by the Church. Recall that the New Testament itself, the most fundamental of early Church writings, represents Church doctrine and contains numerous teachings on the Holy Trinity:
[VERSE=Matthew 28:19,KJV]Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:[/VERSE]
[VERSE=2 Corinthians 13:14,KJV]The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.[/VERSE]
[VERSE=John 15:26,KJV]But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:[/VERSE]
[VERSE=1 John 5:7,KJV]For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.[/VERSE]
as well as an allusion in Paul's Epistle to the Ephesians:
[VERSE=Ephesians 4:6,KJV]One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.[/VERSE]

In addition, there are numerous allusions to the Trinity in the Old Testament, the meanings of which remained veiled until revealed in Christ (cf. 2 Corinthians 3:15-16, 14). These include the use of the plural in Genesis (e.g. Genesis 1:1, Genesis 1:26, Genesis 3:22, Genesis 11:6-7), the mysterious visitation at the Oak of Mamre (Genesis 18) and other veiled references in the Psalms and the Prophets (some of which were obscured by the Masoretic transcriptions of the Hebrew).

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An orthodox Jewish college prof Daniel Boyarin (Prof of Talmudic culture, UC Berkley) wrote a book comparing the gospel accounts with the book of Daniel to show that belief in a multi-part God was already a part of Jewish culture more than a century before the birth of Jesus.

51UhzuZ%2Bp5L._SX341_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Upvote 0

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I just want to point out that discussion of the Trinity according to the rules here on Christian Forums, only is allowed in the “Controversial Theology” section.

I must admit that I’ve sometimes voiced my opinion if the mods seem to have tolerated a thread discussing the trinity. (For instance, if a mod contributes to such a discussion, I assume that it is okay.)

However, there is a sticky here in the adventist sub-forum specifically asking us to refrain from discussing the Trinity, so I think we should respect this. See http://www.christianforums.com/threads/announcement-discussion-of-the-trinity.7237783/

This doesn’t mean that I’m afraid of discussing this topic, personally I’ve spent much time debating anti-trinitarians and I’m aware of their arguments.

Like it or not, belief in the Trinity is one of the Adventist Church’s 28 Fundamental Beliefs. Adventists who argue against the trinity do not represent official adventist theology, but espouse a divergent view held by a minority. https://www.adventist.org/fileadmin...rticles/official-statements/28Beliefs-Web.pdf

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

It is to the pen of inspiration that we must turn to in order to know
what is the true position of adventism on the trinity or Godhead.

"There are three living Persons of the heavenly Trio." Evangelism, 615.

Each Person of the heavenly Trio is God in the highest sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
It is to the pen of inspiration that we must turn to in order to know
what is the true position of adventism on the trinity or Godhead.

"There are three living Persons of the heavenly Trio." Evangelism, 615.

Each Person of the heavenly Trio is God in the highest sense.

"The Holy Spirit is a Person." Evangelism, 616.

"The prince of the power of evil can only be held in check by the power of God in the Third Person of the Godhead, the Holy Spirit." Special Testimonies, Series A, No.10, p.37; Ev.617.

"The Lord Jesus Christ, the divine Son of God, existed from eternity, a distinct Person, yet one with the Father." E.G. White Bible Commentary, vol.5, 1126.

"The Godhead was stirred with pity for the race, and the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit GAVE THEMSELVES to the working out of the plan of redemption." Counsels on Health, 222.

Therefore there are three distinct Persons of the Godhead. This is a mystery that finite human beings cannot fathom. We can only accept it by faith, because it is the truth, because the Lord says so.

"The Testimonies themselves will be the key that will explain the messages given as Scripture is explained by Scripture." 1 S.M.42.

Two more statements, far from being ambiguous, clearly teaching that the Holy Spirit is a Person, a distinct Person, a divine Person, even the Third Person of the Godhead.

"Christ determined that when He ascended from this earth, He would bestow a gift on those who had believed on Him, and those who should believe on Him. What gift could He bestow rich enough to signalize and grace His ascension to the mediatorial throne? It must be worthy of His greatness and Royalty. He determined to give His Representative, THE THIRD PERSON OF THE GODHEAD. This gift could not be excelled. He would give all gifts in one, and therefore the divine Spirit, that converting, enlightening, and sanctifying power, would be His donation." E.G. White, Bible Commentary, vol. 6, 1053.

"The power of evil had been strengthening for centuries, and the submission of men to this satanic captivity was amazing. Sin could be resisted and overcome only through the mighty Agency of THE THIRD PERSON OF THE GODHEAD, who would come with no modified energy but in the fullness of divine power." Desire of Ages, 672.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,404.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
how does the SDA church view the trinity? is it the same as the rest of the Christian world or does it differ? and if so how?

thank you all for helping me out so far

God bless you
Adventist believe there is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension and is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by all of creation. When a Christian takes his baptismal vow, Divine help is pledged to him. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit stand ready to work in his behalf.

So how can we understand the incomprehensible that is God, how can our minds grasp what is beyond human thinking. In our human existence, the concept that God is One God, yet exists as three distinct persons, is foreign to us. However, the doctrine of the Godhead is without questions laid out in God's word.

The biblical term "Godhead" is used three times in Scripture: Acts 17:29; Romans 1:20; Colossians 2:9.

Acts 17:29
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Romans 1:20
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Colossians 2:9
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

The scripture gives us that the Godhead, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, consists of three distinct Persons, yet these three are One. There are many arguments put forward against the GodHead, but the first and foremost is how can God be One God and at the same time be three Persons?

But this question is based in ignorance and lack of understanding of what God has said about Himself. The Bible plainly lays out the plurality of God and that God is One God. We see the Father and Son at Creation:

Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

And the Spirit:
Genesis 1:1-2
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

We see from the words of Christ that He confirms the GodHead as He gave His disciples the Great Commission, stating that they were to teach and baptize in the names of the Godhead:

Matthew 28:19-20
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

And we see from Colossians that in Christ is the fullness of the GodHead bodily:
Colossians 2:6-9
6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

And the Holy Spirit is declare as part of the GodHead by scripture showing a clear understanding and by Christ Himself in :

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Mark 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:

So the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are clearly declared in scripture, the GodHead is taught throughout the Bible, it may not be fully comprehended but it cannot be denied.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,404.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We also see the scripture clearly shows us the Father and Christ Himself declares Him:

Matthew 5:45
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Matthew 6:1
Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 6:9
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Matthew 7:11
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 10:32
Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

And many more verses in which Christ declares the Father....

Notice Christ is on earth at this time and Christ states the Father is in heaven, distinct and separate and yet:

John 10:30
I and my Father are one.

Upvote 0